Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...533534535536537538539540541542543...LastNext
Current Page: 538 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2022 01:47

Good ole U-turn eric ....

What do they call it when
one repeats themselves over and over ...... HHHHaaaaaaaaaa

limited vocabulary

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 3, 2022 02:12

Rockman
Carol .... Mona ( I Need Ya Baby ) ... Prodigal Son
For Your Precious Love .... Hoo Doo Blues ....its just endless

down the road apiece, harlem shuffle, down home girl, hi-heeled sneakers, oh baby (we got a good thing going), don't know why, route 66, stop breaking down, little rain, popeye the salior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-03 02:13 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: August 3, 2022 02:14

Hey yeah Popeye The Sailor .....

That Jonesy boy could be a funny cat .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 3, 2022 02:14

Rockman
Carol .... Mona ( I Need Ya Baby ) ... Prodigal Son
For Your Precious Love .... Hoo Doo Blues ....its just endless

Bit of a blues cover band really aren't they?.............winking smiley

Date: August 3, 2022 02:16

Heck Yeah ... Greatest R&B band ever .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 3, 2022 03:23

Hairball
treaclefingers
Hairball
whats the point of it when the original and/or earlier versions by other artists are all better than the Stones covers.

Don't think I can agree with that, when you look at songs like It's All Over Now, Time Is On My Side, Little Red Rooster, Not Fade Away, Stop Breaking Down, Drift Away, and even stuff Motown stuff like Just My Imagination and Ain't Too Proud to Beg, where they made it completely their own...or even "The Last Time" interpretation.

They have too many amazing covers, some that rival or even beat the original...that is the point.

To clarify, I was paraphrasing Mick (not sure why you edited that part out), and if you read my post again I was referring to the covers on Blue and Lonesome - not every single cover they've ever done.
But now that you mention all those covers, aside from maybe Time Is On My Side, I'd say all that you mention arenn't quite as good as the originals and/or earlier versions by other artists IMO. Good maybe, but not better.
Feel free to disagree all you want though. After 17 years and counting with no new album of originals, there's not much left to discuss in this thread which has seemingly hit a wall more times than the Stones ever have.
We're now at 537 pages and counting, and guarantee Blue and Lonesome has already been discussed to death here in the past six years. It's just a matter of time before the title is changed again ...

"New Stones album for 2023"?

Sorry I edited the 'paraphrase' part out. But you were 'quoting' that to mirror your own point...I believe that's correct.

So the whole thing is subjective, but there are several covers on there that I reiterate approach or surpass the original...of course IMHO.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 3, 2022 05:46

Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
Regarding the Stones notoriously hitting the wall resulting in Blue and Lonesome - from Don Was:

"Around day three we just hit a wall... and Keith suggested that, to cleanse the creative palette, we played Blue and Lonesome, the Little Walter song.
Fortunately we ran the tape and it was just awesome. The whole mood of the room changed dramatically in those three-and-a-half minutes.
So we said, 'let's do another one', and 'let's do another one'. They just called songs off that they knew and loved. It was very spontaneous. And by the end of the day we had six"

Sounds like a plausible explanation to me, and can't see any reason to doubt Don Was who was producing the sessions.

It just sounds too good to be true for me - "Hey, they hit a wall with their original stuff, but it's the Stones, you know, they can hammer out a full album of blues covers in a couple of hours/days without further warning, no problem!"

Typical promo bullshit imo, and let's not forget, Don as their producer was part of the machinery.

If anyone believes that the Stones enter a recording studio without any agreement beforehand on the material they're going to record must also believe in fairytales. If any "hitting the wall" ever happened, it's far more likely that it was well before they entered the studio, at a time when they were exchanging their ideas/home demos, couldn't find an agreement and decided to record a blues cover album instead.

Not sure why Don Was would invent the "hitting the wall" story which has a negative tone to it, when he could have just said "we took a detour with some old blues covers",
or "we took a break and loosened up by playing some blues covers". Or something similar to what Ronnie mentions below with " we got on a blues streak".

Speaking of which, while Ronnie, Charlie, Keith, and Mick do not mention hitting the wall (why would they?), they all seem to be on the same page regarding the spontaneity and natural evolution of Blue and Lonesome.
It doesn't sound like it was prearranged, preplanned, or predetermined beforehand if you believe the quotes from the band members themselves.

"We went in to cut some new songs, which we did. But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days.
They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people" - Ron Wood, 2016

"Don Was said to me, Can you go home tonight and make a list of what we're going to do? If we're going to do more blues, you'd better make a list...
I just went into my computer and went into the blues songs I had in there... and I made a list of what I thought we'd do that day and wrote it down
and went into the studio and I just shouted out Let's do this". - Mick, 2016

"It’s bloody hard to write songs. Here, instead of grinding out just one song, you’d do three or four.
And the next day you do another three. Nobody bothered with retakes – it wasn’t conceived as an album" - Charlie Watts, 2016

"It was only at the end, when we’d got 12 tracks and Don Was and I were talking together,
and Mick was there and he was saying, This is an album. You can’t chop this up". - Keith, 2016

Because "we took a detour with some old blues covers" or "we took a break and loosened up by playing some blues covers" may be factual, but sounds, well, boring, unexciting, while "hitting a wall" adds some drama to the story, and some Stones fans simply love some drama, see the ever popular "clash" between Mick and Keith...

It probably was as simple as Ronnie stated:

"We went in to cut some new songs, which we did. But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days.

No mention of "hitting the wall" by him (and not by any other member either, btw.), just: "We went in to cut some new songs, which we did. But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days."

Could very well be that the recording of a handful of blues covers was planned in advance for the album and/or possible b-sides and that this simply led to a "blues streak" that turned into a full blues covers album - without any dramatic "hitting the wall" turn of events.

Oh, and, of course, purely coincidentally Eric Clapton happened to be there to record some solos... As I've said, all to good to be true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-03 06:13 by retired_dog.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 3, 2022 05:59

retired_dog
Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
Regarding the Stones notoriously hitting the wall resulting in Blue and Lonesome - from Don Was:

"Around day three we just hit a wall... and Keith suggested that, to cleanse the creative palette, we played Blue and Lonesome, the Little Walter song.
Fortunately we ran the tape and it was just awesome. The whole mood of the room changed dramatically in those three-and-a-half minutes.
So we said, 'let's do another one', and 'let's do another one'. They just called songs off that they knew and loved. It was very spontaneous. And by the end of the day we had six"

Sounds like a plausible explanation to me, and can't see any reason to doubt Don Was who was producing the sessions.

It just sounds too good to be true for me - "Hey, they hit a wall with their original stuff, but it's the Stones, you know, they can hammer out a full album of blues covers in a couple of hours/days without further warning, no problem!"

Typical promo bullshit imo, and let's not forget, Don as their producer was part of the machinery.

If anyone believes that the Stones enter a recording studio without any agreement beforehand on the material they're going to record must also believe in fairytales. If any "hitting the wall" ever happened, it's far more likely that it was well before they entered the studio, at a time when they were exchanging their ideas/home demos, couldn't find an agreement and decided to record a blues cover album instead.

Not sure why Don Was would invent the "hitting the wall" story which has a negative tone to it, when he could have just said "we took a detour with some old blues covers",
or "we took a break and loosened up by playing some blues covers". Or something similar to what Ronnie mentions below with " we got on a blues streak".

Speaking of which, while Ronnie, Charlie, Keith, and Mick do not mention hitting the wall (why would they?), they all seem to be on the same page regarding the spontaneity and natural evolution of Blue and Lonesome.
It doesn't sound like it was prearranged, preplanned, or predetermined beforehand if you believe the quotes from the band members themselves.

They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people" - Ron Wood, 2016

"Don Was said to me, Can you go home tonight and make a list of what we're going to do? If we're going to do more blues, you'd better make a list...
I just went into my computer and went into the blues songs I had in there... and I made a list of what I thought we'd do that day and wrote it down
and went into the studio and I just shouted out Let's do this". - Mick, 2016

"It’s bloody hard to write songs. Here, instead of grinding out just one song, you’d do three or four.
And the next day you do another three. Nobody bothered with retakes – it wasn’t conceived as an album" - Charlie Watts, 2016

"It was only at the end, when we’d got 12 tracks and Don Was and I were talking together,
and Mick was there and he was saying, This is an album. You can’t chop this up". - Keith, 2016

Because "we took a detour with some old blues covers" or "we took a break and loosened up by playing some blues covers" may be factual, but sounds, well, boring, unexciting, while "hitting a wall" adds some drama to the story, and some Stones fans simply love some drama, see the ever popular "clash" between Mick and Keith...

It probably was as simple as Ronnie stated:

No mention of "hitting the wall" by him (and not by any other member either, btw.), just: "We went in to cut some new songs, which we did. But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days."

Could very well be that the recording of a handful of blues covers was planned in advance for the album and/or possible b-sides and that this simply lead to a "blues streak" that turned into a full blues covers album - without any dramatic "hitting the wall" turn of events.

Oh, and, of course, purely coincidentally Eric Clapton happened to be there to record some solos... As I've said, all to good to be true.

BLUE AND LONESOME wasn't "prearranged, preplanned, or predetermined beforehand" because prearranged literally means "before being arranged", "preplanned" literally means "before being planned", and "predertimned" literally means "before being arranged".

BLUE AND LONESOME was arranged once x amount of songs were recorded, it was planned once the realized they had an album's worth of songs and it was determined so after, hence the "ed" in all of those. You can't "pre" something that hasn't happened yet because "it" is always in "pre" before becoming past tense once done.

As far as the Stones hitting a wall, a lot of people here have taken that like Keith falling from a coconut tree.

Faux News galore.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 3, 2022 06:38

retired_dog

Could very well be that the recording of a handful of blues covers was planned in advance for the album and/or possible b-sides and that this simply lead to a "blues streak" that turned into a full blues covers album - without any dramatic "hitting the wall" turn of events.

In a previous post you stated something similar in that it was planned in advance - in fact you were emphatic about it:

"Even recording a blues covers album needs at least a bit of preparation - choosing tracks, checking the original recordings for reference,
working out the arrangements and so on that even a band like the Stones can't handle out of the blue, in particular if you record the stuff
for an album release and not just for fun or jamming around".

Yet that goes against the spontaneity that Mick mentions in his quote I previously posted:

and went into the studio and I just shouted out Let's do this".
- Mick, 2016

I suppose Mick could be twisting the truth or fabricating a story for whatever reason the same way you claim Don Was supposedly did about 'hitting the wall', but why would he?

Anyhow, lots of speculation here. Some of it's believable, while maybe some if it not so much...the truth probably falls somewhere in between.
BUT the one fact that is impossible to dispute: The Rolling Stones still have not been able to complete a new album of originals...17 years and counting...

------------------------------------------------------------

"Don't hold your breath" - Mick
"Nothing to report" - Keith
"We'd gone in the studio to start cutting some new songs...around day three we just hit a wall..." - Don Was

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-03 06:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 3, 2022 06:46

Really wish they’d just bring in Rick Rubin or Jack White to cull thru what they have and then friggin release it already. Otherwise, what is the damn point!?!?

538 pages of sheer nothingness.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 3, 2022 06:46

I think the irony of that Slim Harpo cover quote by Mick from 1968 - that Hairball repeats again and again and sounding like hitting a wall with it - is that the Stones had been a couple of years a band based purely on releasing original material. AFTERMATH, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, SATANIC MAJESTIES... (yeah, FLOWERS contained one years earlier cut cover soul song). But just after the quote the band released four albums that each contained blues cover songs... (many consider those albums masterpieces).

Mick rethought his stance pretty quickly...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-03 06:49 by Doxa.

Date: August 3, 2022 06:48

Little Rain ... Stones most
delicate fragile blues cover ....

Wish they hadda covered Reed's other
version with thee third verse ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 3, 2022 06:58

I bet if you were to ask Mick or Keith today, they would humbly say their cover versions - every single one of them - don't quite live up to the quality of the original and/or earlier versions by other artists.
Like most of us, I'm sure they like some of their own versions, and even love some of them, but they would see their covers more as loving tributes to their original heroes and sources of inspiration.
Can't imagine Keith ever thinking or saying "our version of I Can't Quit You Baby is far superior to Otis Rush's" or Mick saying "our version of Commit a Crime is far superior to Howlin Wolf's".
In fact they would probably bow down to their record collection in awe of what came before them, and which has inspired them throughout their career.

Date: August 3, 2022 10:18

Hairball
I bet if you were to ask Mick or Keith today, they would humbly say their cover versions - every single one of them - don't quite live up to the quality of the original and/or earlier versions by other artists.
Like most of us, I'm sure they like some of their own versions, and even love some of them, but they would see their covers more as loving tributes to their original heroes and sources of inspiration.
Can't imagine Keith ever thinking or saying "our version of I Can't Quit You Baby is far superior to Otis Rush's" or Mick saying "our version of Commit a Crime is far superior to Howlin Wolf's".
In fact they would probably bow down to their record collection in awe of what came before them, and which has inspired them throughout their career.

Mick and Keith are much too polite and respectful to ever claim that one of their cover version is better than the original. At the same time, they are well aware that publicly stating something like this would not come across all too well.

They might not even think in these terms - they simply like a certain tune, give their best to do it justice and at the same time try to give it their own spin to justify a cover version. Then, in true artistic spirit, they leave it to the listener to decide.

Simply a class act. But we know this already, don't we?

Date: August 3, 2022 10:46

Have no idea what so ever how they personally
think about the cover versions theyve recorded ....

But I reckon its fair to say that they can stand
proud of almost every one of their cover versions ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 3, 2022 17:53

Rolling Stones new album: Keith Richards teases fresh material is coming very soon

ROLLING STONES new music is on the way, shares Keith Richards, as he, Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood are joined by Charlie Watts' replacement drummer to complete a new album.

By George Simpson
August 3, 2022

The Rolling Stones are currently on their SIXTY European tour, to celebrate the band’s 60th anniversary. As the group approach their eighties and with the loss of drummer Charlie Watts last year, it’s incredible to see the tenacity of Mick Jagger, Keith Richard and Ronnie Wood, who are working on new material for an album.

Ahead of their gig in Berlin tonight, Keith Richards told Apple Music 1 in their The Rolling Stones: 60th Anniversary Special podcast: “[We’ll] have recorded some stuff by the end of the year. Anyway, I just make records and then we figure out how they come out, right? That’s what I do.”

Although the 78-year-old did note he was uncertain if the new songs would be available on streaming platforms.

ssuming The Rolling Stones have a new album in the works, it would mark their first studio one since their 2016 blues cover record Blue & Lonesome.

In terms of new material, the band haven’t released a full album since 2005’s A Bigger Bang.

It would also be their first since Watts died last year. Nevertheless, Richards has confirmed previously that their new drummer Steve Jordan will be part of finishing off a new album.

Before he died, Watts couldn’t perform with The Rolling Stones for the first time in decades and reassured the rest of the band that Jordan would be up to it.

Richards remembered thinking: “Oh, I cannot do this without Charlie.” But Watts said: “You can do it with Steve. He can take my seat anytime.”

The guitarist added: “And he talked me into it. God damn, I loved that man.”

[www.express.co.uk]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 3, 2022 18:17

Keith Richards says he “hopes” new Rolling Stones material will be recorded this year

Richards previously confirmed that The Rolling Stones’ touring drummer Steve Jordan will help the band finish the album

By Scott Ng
3rd August 2022

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards performing live in Madrid CREDIT: Dave J Hogan/Getty Images

The Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has shared that he “hopes” the band will have new material recorded by the end of the year.

Speaking to Matt Wilkinson for The Rolling Stones: 60th Anniversary Special podcast on Apple Music 1, Richards said that while he couldn’t say in what formats the band would be releasing their new material, he hopes the band will “have recorded some stuff by the end of the year”.

“Anyway, I just make records and then we figure out how they come out, right? That’s what I do,” he said, noting he was unsure if the new songs will be made available on streaming platforms.

Richards also discussed his time as a prisoner in Wormwood Scrubs on the podcast, describing his time in the institution as “a weird experience”. “You had to be there,” Richards said, explaining, “I mean, I’ve been in a few other clinks (prisons) over the time, and basically they’re all great once you get out.”

Richards previously confirmed that The Rolling Stones’ touring drummer Steve Jordan will be on hand to help the band finish their new album. Jordan began filling in on drums for the Stones following the death of their longtime drummer Charlie Watts in August last year, and was endorsed by Watts before his passing.

“I was in, ‘Oh, I cannot do this without Charlie’,” Richards explained. “But Charlie said to me, ‘You can do it with Steve. He can take my seat anytime’. And he talked me into it.

“God damn, I loved that man.”

The Stones’ are currently on their ‘SIXTY’ tour in celebration of their six-decade career, having officially formed in June of 1962, officially taking on the name of The Rolling Stones a month later. At the first show of the tour, they delivered the first-ever live performance of their 1966 single ‘Out Of Time’.

In a five-star review of the ‘SIXTY’ stop in Madrid, NME’s Thomas Smith said the show was “undoubtedly a special one”, writing that “at the rate and intensity they’re going at, there’s little stopping [the Stones] from making a crack at their own Platinum Jubilee in the years to come”.

The band have also released a ‘Live At The El Mocambo’ album and a box set of all their single releases from 1963-1966 as part of their 60th anniversary celebrations.

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 4, 2022 06:45

Oh JESUS more bullshit about them recording a new album officially from Keith.

WHUTEVER.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 4, 2022 08:47

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

“Anyway, I just make records…”

WHERE? WHEN? Just get them out. Stop “figuring” it out. You used to be able to RELEASE stuff. What so hard now? 17 years of figuring it out, good grief.

Rod

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 4, 2022 09:14

bitusa2012
Zzzzzzzzzzzz

“Anyway, I just make records…”

WHERE? WHEN? Just get them out. Stop “figuring” it out. You used to be able to RELEASE stuff. What so hard now? 17 years of figuring it out, good grief.

thumbs up

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 4, 2022 10:25

Rockman

true except maybe come on

i think that might be the real reason chuck punched himgrinning smiley

Date: August 4, 2022 10:41

let it rock ...... BAM BAM !!!!!!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: August 4, 2022 10:53

ProfessorWolf
Rockman

true except maybe come on

i think that might be the real reason chuck punched himgrinning smiley

I like their fast Come On. It's cool in a different way than Chuck's.

Same with I Just Wanna Make Love To You.

Not to mention Not Fade Away. Skipping that bar made the song swinging. The original limps, imo.

Date: August 4, 2022 11:44

Yeah Come On ... early garage R&B ..... ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 4, 2022 18:29

GasLightStreet
As far as the Stones hitting a wall, a lot of people here have taken that like Keith falling from a coconut tree.

Faux News galore.

OK, now things get clearer: The wall fell from a coconut tree! That might explain a lot!

And that's as solid a piece of information as any news can get, no? winking smiley

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 4, 2022 19:30

Rockman
Yeah Come On ... early garage R&B ..... ...

thumbs up

I like the Stones' "Come On", though I love the backup singers on Chuck's original.

I'd say the only Stones cover that I wouldn't be proud of (if I were Mick or Keith) is "My Girl". Otherwise I like what they've done with the covers they've done over the years.

Date: August 4, 2022 21:35

"I Just Make Records" - Might be a nice title for a solo album, and the cover art could depict Keith breaking free from the wall...
To Keith's credit, he did release Crossyed Heart back in 2015, so his statement isn't too farfetched, but now...7 years and counting since then....
And 17 years and counting since A Bigger Bang................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------KEITH RICHARDS--I JUST MAKE RECORDS

Date: August 4, 2022 22:23

Hairball
"I Just Make Records" - Might be a nice title for a solo album, and the cover art could depict Keith breaking free from the wall...
To Keith's credit, he did release Crossyed Heart back in 2015, so his statement isn't too farfetched, but now...7 years and counting since then....
And 17 years and counting since A Bigger Bang................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------KEITH RICHARDS--I JUST MAKE RECORDS

Fear that it's just your imagination, running away with you...

Date: August 4, 2022 22:29

Yeah I'm afraid so...538 pages and counting will do that....

Date: August 5, 2022 02:01

Lets hope ya dont stutter ...... HHHHhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...533534535536537538539540541542543...LastNext
Current Page: 538 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10