Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...531532533534535536537538539540541...LastNext
Current Page: 536 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 18, 2022 12:21

Hairball
Maybe they could start selling updated empty covers for all of their albums.
$20 each - collect them all!

Laugh all ya want, I know there are completists on here who will buy this, and I’m just trying to figure out how to get it over to the States.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 18, 2022 13:05

VoodooLounge13

Laugh all ya want, I know there are completists on here who will buy this, and I’m just trying to figure out how to get it over to the States.

Probably with the help of a Japanese proxy-buyer or the help of a Japanese RS-fan if the Japanese Universal-Music-Store doesn't sell it directly abroad.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 21, 2022 19:32

Maybe they could make a movie out of it. The Stones trying to record their new album in an old mansion and then the souls of Anita and L'Wren and all the other deceased groupies start to haunt them

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 21, 2022 22:18

Irix
VoodooLounge13

Probably with the help of a Japanese proxy-buyer or the help of a Japanese RS-fan if the Japanese Universal-Music-Store doesn't sell it directly abroad.

Thanks Irix - I was actually able to do this, and just placed my order today, also added Ole! Ole! Ole! to the order. Slowly getting there!!!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 23, 2022 04:01

NilsHolgersson
Maybe they could make a movie out of it. The Stones trying to record their new album in an old mansion and then the souls of Anita and L'Wren and all the other deceased groupies start to haunt them

Add a therapist to the mix, like Metallica did, and there might be a really interesting (maybe even funny) outcome. Oh yes, and of course Brian's soul too!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 24, 2022 21:27

Some bands "hit the wall" and some bands "just keep mining" : "“When all was said and done, our moody love for each other and the magic of music had gifted us with more songs than we knew what to do with,” [www.rollingstone.com]

More seriously with the apparent current affection between Mick and Keith on stage it seems like a good time to go back to the studio ! Surely they can find a way to come up with enough 50/50 songs to keep Keith happy and use enough some of Mick's 100+ songs from the last 10+ years to have enough material ? Oh and this time please record in LA and draft in some top musicians like for B2B, no more bass playing by Mick please !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 24, 2022 21:49

Wishful thinikng gotdablouse, and there still might be a sliver of hope, but based on their recent quotes in the last year it's not looking too good.
"Nothing to report", "Don't hold your breath", "We don't need a new album", etc., etc., etc. And with the tour almost over, the last thing on their minds is working together in the foreseeable future.
Family time, vacation time, holiday time, rest, relaxation, and recovery time...can't see them accomplishing much before the years over - at least as far as the new album is concerned.

That said, a new single would be nice, but a whole new album seems out of their reach based on them hitting the wall, and the many years they've attempted to complete it since then.
Best hope at the moment is a new Stones single for Christmas '22 (or maybe '23) that includes Charlies drumming, followed by new solo albums by Keith and Mick.
With Charlie sadly gone, the glue and the heartbeat of the band is no longer there, and it's a shame they couldn't complete the new album while he was still with us.
Also, they might unleash a live album of Sixty and/or No Filter and/or a best of compilation - maybe another Honk with a few recent live tunes included.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 24, 2022 22:53

Less than six months ago Mick, Keith, Steve, and Matt were cutting tracks in Jamaica. In May, Keith stated, "We already had some stuff cut with Charlie. It should be coming next year." They had a wholly new single two years ago. They released an album's worth of outtakes last year much of which was reworked by Mick, Ronnie, and Matt. Yet still this thread is one big "they've hit a wall" because the nearly 80 year old men don't work hard enough to please us. IORRian logic, check your sanity at the door.

Date: July 24, 2022 23:07

The thread title could be changed to "17 years and counting..." in memory of the last studio album of originals they released.

Date: July 24, 2022 23:12

That's not a bad tour name, of course by then, it will be more than 17 years...

Date: July 24, 2022 23:17

Not a bad name for a new album either, but no doubt it will probably be far more than 17 years...

Date: July 24, 2022 23:48

Nah, it'll be next year.

Date: July 25, 2022 00:35

Next year, yeah...

It's deja vu all over again...seems like we've heard that same thing every year since this thread started from various band members and fans alike.
Maybe they'll title it 18 (as in 18 years since A Bigger Bang)...or call it EIGHTEEN...or give it a classic/historical feel by calling it XVIII...and maybe it will include 18 songs!
They can do a tour of 18 cities, and the setlists will be made up of 18 songs...but just one new song, and the rest oldies but goodies...

"We've been in the studio recording. All new songs. We've been working on that, and we'll keep working on it until we get it right". - Mick, July 2017

Maybe 2023 will be the lucky year where they finally "get it right"?

18. EIGHTEEN. XVIII.

Yeah...next year. thumbs up

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 25, 2022 01:27

Rocky Dijon
Less than six months ago Mick, Keith, Steve, and Matt were cutting tracks in Jamaica. In May, Keith stated, "We already had some stuff cut with Charlie. It should be coming next year." They had a wholly new single two years ago. They released an album's worth of outtakes last year much of which was reworked by Mick, Ronnie, and Matt. Yet still this thread is one big "they've hit a wall" because the nearly 80 year old men don't work hard enough to please us. IORRian logic, check your sanity at the door.

I get what you’re saying … but even fans are becoming less and less interested in the archives. The new work that’s being put into them is almost entirely done by Mick (and Matt). Keith’s participation is minimal at best.

At this point, they have become a way for Mick to stay busy with The Rolling Stones without having to deal with Keith.

Date: July 25, 2022 01:51

MelBelli

At this point, they have become a way for Mick to stay busy with The Rolling Stones without having to deal with Keith.

Agreed, so was Mick putting together his "highly polished demos" with Matt before bringing them to Keith. Most artists would be insulted to be given a paint by numbers set. Keith working with Steve to see what he can add to Mick and Matt's work isn't the most productive way to maintain a songwriting partnership but if Keith doesn't like many of Mick's songs and Keith's unfinished ideas don't spark anything in Mick, there isn't much they can do about it. It's been that way for much of the last forty years.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2022 02:27

You shower of sh*t have this all wrong. They're just saving the best for the 75th DIAMOND anniversary, in 2037.

It'll be an album for the ages!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 25, 2022 08:39

Rocky Dijon
MelBelli

Agreed, so was Mick putting together his "highly polished demos" with Matt before bringing them to Keith. Most artists would be insulted to be given a paint by numbers set. Keith working with Steve to see what he can add to Mick and Matt's work isn't the most productive way to maintain a songwriting partnership but if Keith doesn't like many of Mick's songs and Keith's unfinished ideas don't spark anything in Mick, there isn't much they can do about it. It's been that way for much of the last forty years.

thumbs up...this is the real problem.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 25, 2022 08:42

How we know this ???????????

let us in on the loop .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 25, 2022 09:29

The new Stones album came out in December of 2016.

Keith Richards (July 2016): Progress on a new Stones album

The Stones are working on one, yeah - at the moment, as we speak. We cut a few new things and we're going in (the studio) again later this year.

Keith Richards (July 2016): Releasing a Stones blues covers album in the fall

The titles I can't reveal at the moment, for the reason that I can't quite remember them and I haven't got a list with me. (It'll be) coming out in the autumn some time.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

"As we speak" has got to be the most ridiculous statement of the Twentyhundreds.

Even when taken literally, "as we speak" is preponderous. A horrendous analogy of "the now" which is never true.

Keith does not speak that way. He was coached. It's bunk.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 25, 2022 11:25

KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon
MelBelli

No, the "real problem" imo is the question how they can add anything substantial to their already existing extensive catalog when at the same time they must have realized that they don't really need new material to be a successful band.

Furthermore, I doubt that the lack of new music even constitutes "a real problem" for them, certainly not commercially, but likely not even mentally - it's just one for us diehards who can never be satisfied anyway - we grab one release and shortly thereafter thirst for the next one like junkies. Any new album wouldn't change this situation. We will grab the new album next year and shortly thereafter demand the next one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 11:27 by retired_dog.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 25, 2022 11:47

Haha...there's some truth to this (I suppose, not being an actual junkie) ! An immediate high when the new album is released after a long wait, listening on repeat, impossible to be critical and a few weeks later, huh...that's not very good is it ? Happened with DW, SW, VL, B2B and ABB...the exception for me being B2B that still holds its own. Probably because of a few memorable songs but mostly thanks to the musicianship on display courtesy of the very talented guests.

Again though, Mick and Keith REALLY do seem to be chummy and supportive on stage like they haven't been since the early 70s, surely that's got to change things in the studio ?!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 25, 2022 22:08

retired_dog
KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon
MelBelli

No, the "real problem" imo is the question how they can add anything substantial to their already existing extensive catalog when at the same time they must have realized that they don't really need new material to be a successful band.

Furthermore, I doubt that the lack of new music even constitutes "a real problem" for them, certainly not commercially, but likely not even mentally - it's just one for us diehards who can never be satisfied anyway - we grab one release and shortly thereafter thirst for the next one like junkies. Any new album wouldn't change this situation. We will grab the new album next year and shortly thereafter demand the next one.

They haven't added anything substantial to their catalog after TATTOO YOU when they signed with EMI and Columbia Records or their 1991-2005 EMI/Virgin Records deal (both consumed by UMG in 2012). Their UMG deal in 2008 included 3 new albums.

Apparently the 3 new albums of that deal were SHINE A LIGHT, BLUE AND LONESOME and MOCAMBO, all released on Polydor.

Then again, substantial is subjective, right? Not that the however many hits comps that have come out since REWIND determine what is substantial but one might say Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions, Love Is Strong, Anybody Seen My Baby, Don't Stop, Rough Justice, Doom And Gloom, Just Your Fool and Living In A Ghost Town have been "substantial".

Date: July 26, 2022 01:25

Rockman
How we know this ???????????

let us in on the loop .........

Please note the use of the word "if" and file under speculation. "Know" is too factual, we're in the realm of belief without proof.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 26, 2022 02:45

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon
MelBelli

They haven't added anything substantial to their catalog after TATTOO YOU when they signed with EMI and Columbia Records or their 1991-2005 EMI/Virgin Records deal (both consumed by UMG in 2012). Their UMG deal in 2008 included 3 new albums.

Apparently the 3 new albums of that deal were SHINE A LIGHT, BLUE AND LONESOME and MOCAMBO, all released on Polydor.

Then again, substantial is subjective, right? Not that the however many hits comps that have come out since REWIND determine what is substantial but one might say Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions, Love Is Strong, Anybody Seen My Baby, Don't Stop, Rough Justice, Doom And Gloom, Just Your Fool and Living In A Ghost Town have been "substantial".

Of course, substantial is subjective. I for one would include some songs from your list, but not all, for sure not Don't Stop or Rough Justice which sound like poor rehashes of old glory, nice, but without the edge of past efforts. For me, also things like Continental Drift, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Laugh I Nearly Died and others are substantial additions to their catalog. Certain songs, but almost no complete albums since Tattoo You.

For them, it's probably the question of "what could we do what we haven't done already - and, in particular, what we haven't done already much better in the past?" on the background that they don't need new material to be commercially (tremendously!) successful, that there's no contractual pressure whatsoever to deliver new material, that they're old and have lots of other things to do than hanging around in the studio for days and nights just to wait for the arrival of the "perfect riff", that they've got nothing left to prove anyway and, last, but not least, no matter how good the new material would turn out, financial returns would be minimal compared to their other streams of income, in particular live shows.

With all this in mind, it's a miracle that they try at all - and I understand Jagger perfectly well when he says that for their last album, good is just not good enough this time, he wants it to be great.

Date: July 26, 2022 03:54

GasLightStreet
Keith Richards (July 2016): Progress on a new Stones album

The Stones are working on one, yeah - at the moment, as we speak. We cut a few new things and we're going in (the studio) again later this year.

"As we speak" has got to be the most ridiculous statement of the Twentyhundreds.

I guess at the time Keith said that it was possibly true. They were working on a new album then. They just didn't get done.

Date: July 26, 2022 06:15

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon
MelBelli

Of course, substantial is subjective. I for one would include some songs from your list, but not all, for sure not Don't Stop or Rough Justice which sound like poor rehashes of old glory, nice, but without the edge of past efforts. For me, also things like Continental Drift, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Laugh I Nearly Died and others are substantial additions to their catalog. Certain songs, but almost no complete albums since Tattoo You.

For them, it's probably the question of "what could we do what we haven't done already - and, in particular, what we haven't done already much better in the past?" on the background that they don't need new material to be commercially (tremendously!) successful, that there's no contractual pressure whatsoever to deliver new material, that they're old and have lots of other things to do than hanging around in the studio for days and nights just to wait for the arrival of the "perfect riff", that they've got nothing left to prove anyway and, last, but not least, no matter how good the new material would turn out, financial returns would be minimal compared to their other streams of income, in particular live shows.

With all this in mind, it's a miracle that they try at all - and I understand Jagger perfectly well when he says that for their last album, good is just not good enough this time, he wants it to be great.

Those days are long gone. They had a 25% royalty rate with Virgin but that was back when it was still something.

These days it's just a little bump. Maybe enough for a record label to make its money back on what it spent but not for the artist: it's about artistic integrity. Unless the Stones put a clause in their contract for album x to only be released on CD, the outdated aspect of any "financial returns" for a band with a record is absurd unless they own the record label with a kind of built in audience/fan base that will buy a hard copy.

There's next to zero money made on streaming and buying records via download. It's a horrendous model that somehow continues to thrive. It hasn't hit the movie industry near any way similar.

Yet.

However, Netflix is dying. They've done it to themselves. Too many other options and less interest in general.

The record industry? BUY THIS BOX SET AND GET A FREE STICKER! VINYL!

Short investment for a short time return at the highest value that has nothing to do with artist legacy, just the product of the moment.

How long is a piece of string? How many artists can fill 5000+ venues?

We are witnessing the end of an era regarding album releases and tours by acts that have huge attendance.

Date: July 26, 2022 15:09

GasLightStreet
There's next to zero money made on streaming and buying records via download. It's a horrendous model that somehow continues to thrive. It hasn't hit the movie industry near any way similar.

Yet.

However, Netflix is dying. They've done it to themselves. Too many other options and less interest in general.

The record industry? BUY THIS BOX SET AND GET A FREE STICKER! VINYL!

Short investment for a short time return at the highest value that has nothing to do with artist legacy, just the product of the moment.

How long is a piece of string? How many artists can fill 5000+ venues?

We are witnessing the end of an era regarding album releases and tours by acts that have huge attendance.

Best thing I've read on this board in ages. These are the sort of conversations I try to have with my wife when she wants to go to sleep.

Date: July 26, 2022 15:35

GasLightStreet
There's next to zero money made on streaming and buying records via download.

Fun thing is, for me as a customer it doesn't really make a difference financially whether I buy an album via download (e.g. from Qobuz) or as a physical unit, the money I have to pay in either case is pretty much the same. Considering the fact that a downloaded album (or single, or song) comes without a CD case, paper booklet or packaging, I would expect that more money is being made from downloads. Judging from what I read here, in the download case even less money goes to the artists, which seems like a misproportion.

You are certainly right about the end-of-an-era feeling. Most of the musical heroes of our (or, at least, my) youth are meanwhile gone or in their seventies or eighties,
so not much more to expect from that side in terms of new albums or tours. In addition, the position/importance/meaning/significance etc. of popular music in our culture(s) has changed a lot (and also we are not fifteen any longer ...). These are no longer the sixties or seventies, these are the 2020s and the world as such is a different one.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 26, 2022 16:36

My expectation: There will be a couple of vaults releases of the projected final studio album for those who survive the end of the band, plus an unknown how long period thereafter.

The question is: Will iorr.org/tell me still exist by then?

A much later edit:
I now discover that the preceding evening jahisnotdead entered a post with a similiar idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-09 18:11 by Witness.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 26, 2022 17:47

I really thought they would release a new single for their SIXTY anniversary, on a compilation disc, like GRRRR! and play it live on this tour. They should be forbidden to set up more tours after this one without new music, it should be a law. Tours are for promoting new music, not milking the old stuff.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...531532533534535536537538539540541...LastNext
Current Page: 536 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home