Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...529530531532533534535536537538539...LastNext
Current Page: 534 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 14, 2022 05:51

bitusa2012
New interview on Apple Music on The Stones 60th anniversary with both Mick and Ronnie. [Apple.co]

Paraphrasing Ronnie at the end “we don’t need a new album, I love playing all the old stuff”.

Seems they’re putting the cue in the rack then.

If it wasn't so embarrassing, it would be funny - but I guess it's all become embarrassingly funny now.
I can hear the nervous laughter now....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2022 06:07

Hairball
bitusa2012
New interview on Apple Music on The Stones 60th anniversary with both Mick and Ronnie. [Apple.co]

Paraphrasing Ronnie at the end “we don’t need a new album, I love playing all the old stuff”.

If it wasn't so embarrassing, it would be funny - but I guess it's all become embarrassingly funny now.
I can hear the nervous laughter now....

ha...this thread seems like yesterday's papers right about now.

Date: July 14, 2022 06:22

Title of thread should be changed to No New Stones album forever?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2022 06:46

NilsHolgersson
Living in a Ghost Town is still a "new" single in Stone-years, and by far the newest thing they played at the concert I was at last week. But I wasn't with the diehard fans in the golden pit, I had a seat with the regular people, and when the Stones played LIAGT, the public didn't seem to be very interested. People weren't singing along as they didn't know the lyrics, like they did with Satisfaction and Miss You, and some were looking at their phones or going to the toilets. People were only really happy when they were hearing the well known hits. The Stones are a global tourist attraction, they're like the Louvre, most people want to see the Mona Lisa, the Raft of the Medusa, the Wedding at Cana, they don't really care about the more unknown works. And I think Mick really likes that role, he wants to please the general public, he doesn't care about the diehard fans, he wants to entertain the stadiums, and the stadiums need the big hits, and not a "new album" track.

So my thoughts now:

New album:

Pros:
- it would make headlines with "Stones have a #1 album on the UK album charts" for a week or so and "the oldest band to achieve this" etc etc
- "their best album since Exile" for a few weeks

Cons:
- it takes a lot of time and energy and money to make
- it won't make as much money as touring
- people would say it's not as good as Exile after a few weeks and later say it actually stinks and Don Was messed up the production
- the singles won't last on the charts since they're not TikTok hits
- playing the new songs live in a stadium would create awkward silences since the general public wants to hear the well known hits

Yep.

They'd have to find a way within social media to "mean something".

It is possible.

Very unlikely.

If the resurgent aspect of buying vinyl and CDs remains steady... and even trends upward in regards to CDs... who knows, right?

Still a lot of not-bought-whatever copies to be relegated to success. Spotify doesn't mean SHIT.

Box set issues are limited.

I have a much better chance of being levelled by a category 4 hurricane than the Stones releasing a new album period.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 14, 2022 07:24

bitusa2012

Of course they don't need a new album, playing 19 songs each night of which 15 are always the same and with a catalog of over 250 original songs (plus hundred of covers), they can tour endlessly changing 4 songs each night, the tourists will be always there.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 14, 2022 09:10

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are songwriters. Shouldn’t they feel compelled to write and release new music? Unless Mick now writes merely for his own, personal, sense of purpose? Perhaps Mick gets a kick out of knowing nobody will hear his creations, other than himself! I say this, as I simply don’t believe he isn’t writing. A writer is always scribbling on-and-off, surely?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 14, 2022 09:37

bitusa2012

sad smiley
No new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-14 09:38 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: July 14, 2022 10:26

Ronnies answer could be totally out of context here. They have no new songs to play right now, on this tour-leg. So logically he says that he's content with the old songs.

Imagine Ronnie saying: "I'm sick of play this old shit over and over again, It's about time Mick & Keith write something new". shit would hit the fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-14 10:27 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 14, 2022 12:18

ribbelchips
Ronnies answer could be totally out of context here. They have no new songs to play right now, on this tour-leg. So logically he says that he's content with the old songs.

Imagine Ronnie saying: "I'm sick of play this old shit over and over again, It's about time Mick & Keith write something new". shit would hit the fan.

I’d like to think so. But I doubt it

Rod

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 14, 2022 14:56

KRiffhard
bitusa2012

sad smiley
No new album.

But they pinky promised sad smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 14, 2022 16:19

Creatively, Jagger-Richards haven't been a 50/50 partnership since 1997. Since then, it's been more 70/30 and sometimes even less. They aren't inspired by what the other brings to the table. We would have had another album by now if Keith had been willing to do another 70/30 compromise, but he wanted a true collaboration again. Mick doesn't view the results of working with Keith as "great." Mick left to his own devices is good enough for Mick, but not Keith and Keith's ideas don't excite Mick. I would say that's an interpretation that is fairly accurate.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 14, 2022 16:33

Seems like Jagger calls the shots. His priority order is, I guess:

1) touring
2) private time, family, girl friends, travel
3) collaborating with others
4) solo material
5) movie/tv work, film parts, pr, international galas, interviews, parties
6) working on a new Stones album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-14 16:38 by Stoneage.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 14, 2022 18:56

bitusa2012

Can’t seem to access the interview. Doesn’t sound like I’m missing much!

Date: July 14, 2022 19:58

Rocky Dijon
Creatively, Jagger-Richards haven't been a 50/50 partnership since 1997. Since then, it's been more 70/30 and sometimes even less. They aren't inspired by what the other brings to the table. We would have had another album by now if Keith had been willing to do another 70/30 compromise, but he wanted a true collaboration again. Mick doesn't view the results of working with Keith as "great." Mick left to his own devices is good enough for Mick, but not Keith and Keith's ideas don't excite Mick. I would say that's an interpretation that is fairly accurate.

That is the short and long of it.

I actually can respect both of them for not budging.

Date: July 14, 2022 21:53

MelBelli
Rocky Dijon

I'd respect them a whole lot more if they weren't dripping stupid hints every 6-12 months about the new album progress.

Just come out and say..."you've got enough material to sort through...ENOUGH ALREADY!"

Date: July 14, 2022 23:24

I don’t know if they drop hints so much as they just vaguely answer inevitable questions about it. After Crosseyed Heart, when Keith felt like he has momentum, he tried to press his case to Mick through the media. Now they both say as little as possible and move on to the next topic.

Brian Hiatt of Rolling Stone aggressively followed up in his last interview with a Keith — but he still got a word salad.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 14, 2022 23:36

MelBelli
Rocky Dijon

Technically, couldn't the argument be made that B2B was a compromise and then ABB was more of a Keith designed album of a back to basics garage band sound? Technically the next album should've been the next compromise or Mick driven. Unless Keith feels that all the singles since then have been Mick centered which they kinda were...

Date: July 14, 2022 23:45

Along with Keith's recent quote of "nothing to report" being one of the most accurate statements from this saga,
I'd say the absolute most accurate quote given throughout this enture mess was not by Keith, not by Mick, not by Ronnie, and not by Charlie...

Going all the way back to 2016, this quote from Don Was is really all that needs to be said:...

"We'd gone in the studio to start cutting some new songs. Around day three WE JUST HIT A WALL"

Indeed they did, and they've seemingly never fully been able to recover from it - the damage was done in more ways than one.
And to make matters worse and rub salt in the wounds, Ronnie recently chimes in with “we don’t need a new album".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-14 23:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 15, 2022 03:25

Today's newspaper said the present stage has sort of a brick design (constructionwise) ... if life gives you a brick wall, make it onto a stage ... winking smiley

Date: July 15, 2022 05:01

Hairball
Along with Keith's recent quote of "nothing to report" being one of the most accurate statements from this saga,
I'd say the absolute most accurate quote given throughout this enture mess was not by Keith, not by Mick, not by Ronnie, and not by Charlie...

Going all the way back to 2016, this quote from Don Was is really all that needs to be said:...

"We'd gone in the studio to start cutting some new songs. Around day three WE JUST HIT A WALL"

Indeed they did, and they've seemingly never fully been able to recover from it - the damage was done in more ways than one.
And to make matters worse and rub salt in the wounds, Ronnie recently chimes in with “we don’t need a new album".

I'm sure through all the speculation we've had here, someone has hit the nail on the head. Whatever the reason, the outcome sure as hell was hitting that wall, and no new music, well...very little new music.

But I still think that's fine. Just be honest with it then.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 15, 2022 07:49

ribbelchips

Finally a voice of reason amidst all the scared children here who take each and every quote, out of context or not, as an official government declaration about the state of the union.

Either we will get a new album one day once they decide to continue recording with Steve or they give up any further recording activities altogether. We can't influence their decision anyway. According to Keith, they will sit down after the tour and discuss their options as he recently denied the information that Charlie had already finished his drum tracks - "Far from it!".

Whatever, in case they decide to abandon the whole project, I'm pretty sure that in the years to come, at least one or more albums with "(Truly!) Fully Finished Outtakes" will appear - likely cheaper and less time consuming for them to realize anyways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-15 07:52 by retired_dog.

Date: July 15, 2022 08:50

“we don’t need a new album" - Ronnie

Maybe not, but another single would certainly be appreciated!

Flashback to 2017:

Keith: We're working on some new (material) now. There's a new album in the works. We're slowly putting it together. Now I want to come out with another really good original album.
That’s what I’m working on… So now I’m trying to pick up the threads on what we were doing before the blues album.

Mick: It’s going good. Just this afternoon I’m going to listen to some of the multi-tracks of that and we’ve done a lot of work on it... I haven't heard it for a while.
I'm going to pick out the ones I really like, and Keith will be listening to it, too...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 15, 2022 14:50

Hairball
Mick: .. Just this afternoon I’m going to listen to some of the multi-tracks of that and we’ve done a lot of work on it... I haven't heard it for a while.
I'm going to pick out the ones I really like, and Keith will be listening to it, too...

I guess that's pretty much what they have been doing one or twice a year (perhaps with a Covid break for one or two years), they just didn't get much beyond that. Listen to a few tracks every now and then, say Ah, we might wanna work on that one a little more, maybe spend an afternoon in some studio, and then the next tour or whatever comes along ...

In principle, once the tour is done there should be enough of a window to do some serious work on whatever tracks or sketches there are, even with some time off for kicking back, the families, or suchlike.

Date: July 15, 2022 15:27

Does anyone have a good link to the interview? Is it only available in Europe?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 15, 2022 15:40

MelBelli

Does anyone have a good link to the interview?

The-Matt-Wilkinson-Show on Apple Music - "The Rolling Stones: 60th Anniversary Special, Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood talk 60 years of rock and roll" - [iorr.org] .

Date: July 15, 2022 16:48

Irix
MelBelli

Does anyone have a good link to the interview?

The-Matt-Wilkinson-Show on Apple Music - "The Rolling Stones: 60th Anniversary Special, Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood talk 60 years of rock and roll" - [iorr.org] .

Thanks. Apparently it’s subscriber-only. I’m a Spotify user. I will have to go without!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 15, 2022 23:20

NilsHolgersson

New album confirmed!

[www.universal-music.co.jp]

Well actually it's HONK with a new cover but I need it

Was anyone in the US able to order this? I can't seem to get the address to be anything other than one in Japan. Is this available on any other sites, does anyone know?

Date: July 15, 2022 23:54

Maybe they could start selling updated empty covers for all of their albums.
$20 each - collect them all!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 16, 2022 12:03

Yeah, after 1997 the new material came almost exclusively from Mick, more like 80/20 overall. Not sure what happened to Keith at that time, he dried up almost completely. However he still got his way when Mick wanted to take the ABB "castle studio demos" to a real studio and "spruce them up". ABB with the B2B musicians would have probably been a much more memorable album...And now Keith's been putting his foot down because he doesn't like Mick's songs and Mick can't be bothered to fight about it as it doesn't hurt the bottom line. Game over as far as new albums are concerned...barring some kind of miracle.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: LorenzAgain ()
Date: July 16, 2022 12:49

There is an interview with Chuck in Austrian media, he says he can't promise the exact date but new music is coming and probably it's next year...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...529530531532533534535536537538539...LastNext
Current Page: 534 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home