Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...526527528529530531532533534535536...LastNext
Current Page: 531 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 7, 2022 09:12

The Mick/Grohl tune was terrible imo. I thought some of the tunes he did with Superheavy were much better.

Big Al
Just release a new album already, dammit. How difficult can it be?? Jesus! 530 pages of shite!

Make that 531 pages and counting...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-07 09:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 7, 2022 09:35

Got To Get A Grip on the other hand comes across even more timely now than in 2017. I don't want to undermine his confidence in releasing his stuff he absolutely still can.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 7, 2022 14:16

Timely it might be, but it has got to be the most worthless piece of drivel the man has ever released. If that’s what he’s got more of sitting around, just continue with the current status quo. Both of those songs are pure sh!t. Thank God they didn’t come out under the Stones moniker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-08 08:36 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: July 7, 2022 14:20

Gotta agree with that VoodooLounge13!

thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 8, 2022 02:09

Nikkei
I consider "Eazy Sleazy" a flop. Not in a success sort of sense but because it was supposed to be societal commentary and as such it aged spectacularly badly in a very short time. It was wishful thinking.

It was very much a statement of it's time, Covid. No one else of high caliber put out a Covid song. Except Ghost Town, which is not as good as Easy Sleazy. I can still put it on and rock out harder than anything the Stones have put out since Rough Justice.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2022 07:19

VoodooLounge13
Timely it might be, but it has got to be the most worthless piece of drivel the man has ever released.

Way off.

I won't share it but Let's Work is the absolute lowest Mick Jagger has ever gotten as a solo artist.

Date: July 8, 2022 08:14

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Timely it might be, but it has got to be the most worthless piece of drivel the man has ever released.

Way off.

I won't share it but Let's Work is the absolute lowest Mick Jagger has ever gotten as a solo artist.

Bastard. Now I have to find that video for a good laugh.

Date: July 8, 2022 08:38

24FPS
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Way off.

Lol. I will actually take Let’s Work over these two.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 8, 2022 10:30

VoodooLounge13
24FPS
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Way off.

And I will actually take Let's Work over the majority of Voodoo Lounge (except for 4 songs that would have formed a good EP) if we're discussing worthless drivel here.

But we're not. This is the "New Stones album for 2022?" thread. Just a reminder!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 8, 2022 11:44

retired_dog
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Way off.

And I will actually take Let's Work over the majority of Voodoo Lounge (except for 4 songs that would have formed a good EP) if we're discussing worthless drivel here.

But we're not. This is the "New Stones album for 2022?" thread. Just a reminder!

Obviously, if VOODOO LOUNGE is the first Stones album you ever meet with, you will be thankful for that. If you instead have lived with Stones music since the middle of the 1960s, it is very possible that you may think and feel otherwise. I can't speak for all with that background. But to me at least, VOODOO LOUNGE, together with the two preceding studio albums, constitute the absolute slump in the career of the Rolling Stones studiowise. That is a comparative point of view.

"Let's Work" to me is most of all morally an insult from a privileged rock singer towards everybody with uninspiring jobs.

By the way, I say once again that I belong to the apparently few that do like both "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-08 11:48 by Witness.

Date: July 8, 2022 12:03

24FPS
Nikkei
I consider "Eazy Sleazy" a flop. Not in a success sort of sense but because it was supposed to be societal commentary and as such it aged spectacularly badly in a very short time. It was wishful thinking.

It was very much a statement of it's time, Covid. No one else of high caliber put out a Covid song. Except Ghost Town, which is not as good as Easy Sleazy. I can still put it on and rock out harder than anything the Stones have put out since Rough Justice.

Clapton did but it wasn't the song people wanted to hear.

Date: July 8, 2022 13:35

Witness
retired_dog
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Way off.

Obviously, if VOODOO LOUNGE is the first Stones album you ever meet with, you will be thankful for that. If you instead have lived with Stones music since the middle of the 1960s, it is very possible that you may think and feel otherwise. I can't speak for all with that background. But to me at least, VOODOO LOUNGE, together with the two preceding studio albums, constitute the absolute slump in the career of the Rolling Stones studiowise. That is a comparative point of view.

"Let's Work" to me is most of all morally an insult from a privileged rock singer towards everybody with uninspiring jobs.

By the way, I say once again that I belong to the apparently few that do like both "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost".

My "Let's Work" comment was tongue in cheek, I just pulled VoodooLounge13's leg, mainly because he turned this thread once again into a stab at Jagger's solo work, an outbreak of negativity that has absolutely nothing to do with the mystic "new album" imo.

Concerning the apparently few that do like both "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" - count me in, and I say this as someone who has lived with Stones music since the middle of the 1960s, but still prefers fresh musical input over attempts to plunder the classic Stones sound ad nauseam with increasingly weaker song material that marred albums like Voodoo Lounge for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-08 23:47 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 8, 2022 13:39

retired_dog
Witness
retired_dog
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Way off.

My "Let's Work" comment was tongue in cheek, I just pulled VoodooLounge13's leg, mainly because he turned this thread once again into a stab at Jagger's solo work, an outbreak of negativity that has absolutely nothing to do with the mystic "new album" imo.

Concerning the apparently few that do like both "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" - count me in, and I say this as someone who has lived with Stones music since the middle of the 1960s, but still prefer fresh musical input over attempts to plunder the classic Stones sound ad nauseam with increasingly weaker song material that marred albums like Voodoo Lounge for me.

smileys with beer

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 8, 2022 18:41

so much discussion about a new album! so much projecting !
now it’s understandable, the hesitation..
new album would have to be strong as it’s likely the last.
No doubt a bit of tribute to Charlie also will be included if they do release a new album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2022 22:31

Nikkei
24FPS
Nikkei

Gotta disagree Nikster. Easy Sleazy was pure salubrious bile. Pity it didn't get a proper release. Maybe the Foo Fighters crowd would have had their elbows up to get a copy of the 10" coloured or picture disc. I would have liked at least 3 different mixes!

Date: July 8, 2022 23:24

treaclefingers
Nikkei
24FPS
Nikkei

Gotta disagree Nikster. Easy Sleazy was pure salubrious bile. Pity it didn't get a proper release. Maybe the Foo Fighters crowd would have had their elbows up to get a copy of the 10" coloured or picture disc. I would have liked at least 3 different mixes!

Of course his piss-taking is irresistible. Also things did get freaky. Still something is off about it. Get A Grip however seems to hit that mark.

Date: July 8, 2022 23:42

Witness
retired_dog
Witness
retired_dog
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Way off.

Concerning the apparently few that do like both "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" - count me in, and I say this as someone who has lived with Stones music since the middle of the 1960s, but still prefer fresh musical input over attempts to plunder the classic Stones sound ad nauseam with increasingly weaker song material that marred albums like Voodoo Lounge for me.

smileys with beer

That's another thing we haven't considered. What if a new album is just weak echoes of earlier triumphs, like Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang were? Maybe Mick is hearing that in the songs, especially the ones Keith is bringing in.

Date: July 9, 2022 06:54

retired_dog
Witness
retired_dog
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Way off.

Concerning the apparently few that do like both "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" - count me in, and I say this as someone who has lived with Stones music since the middle of the 1960s, but still prefers fresh musical input over attempts to plunder the classic Stones sound ad nauseam with increasingly weaker song material that marred albums like Voodoo Lounge for me.

Have I done this on more than one occasion? I didn't realize I'd done it before, and certainly wasn't trying to be negative. I just don't like them is all. I do actually like Jagger's solo work. I think he got better as he went along up until Goddess when he slid a bit back from WS. But I love Superheavy. Love Eazy Sleazy. Just loathe GGAG/EL. They're just rubbish to me.

Much about Jagger annoys the crap out of me these days - his all-too-predictable rhyme schemes, his over enunciation of words, and the fakeness in his voice, for lack of a better word. Easy Sleazy was the first time in a looong time that he actually just sang, and it was bloody great. I don't need another album of Yer Awwwwwful bright, Yer awwwwwful smart........cuz Lordy it really is awwwwwful bad.

When he's good, he's fantastic, like Rough Justice. Often, I feel like he's thinking too much about the whole thing instead of just going with it. Feeling it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-09 06:56 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: July 9, 2022 13:54

VoodooLounge13
retired_dog
Witness
retired_dog
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Way off.

Have I done this on more than one occasion? I didn't realize I'd done it before, and certainly wasn't trying to be negative. I just don't like them is all. I do actually like Jagger's solo work. I think he got better as he went along up until Goddess when he slid a bit back from WS. But I love Superheavy. Love Eazy Sleazy. Just loathe GGAG/EL. They're just rubbish to me.

Much about Jagger annoys the crap out of me these days - his all-too-predictable rhyme schemes, his over enunciation of words, and the fakeness in his voice, for lack of a better word. Easy Sleazy was the first time in a looong time that he actually just sang, and it was bloody great. I don't need another album of Yer Awwwwwful bright, Yer awwwwwful smart........cuz Lordy it really is awwwwwful bad.

When he's good, he's fantastic, like Rough Justice. Often, I feel like he's thinking too much about the whole thing instead of just going with it. Feeling it.

I really don't know, but that's not the point. Your remark brought the focus on Mick's solo stuff which usually leads into a lengthy discussion of his solo adventure which usually leads into a lengthy Mick vs. Keith discussion by the same old suspects which usually has absolutely nothing to do with the fabled new Stones album of originals and the reason(s) for its absence as per now. Been there, done that, and more than enough! We simply don't know exactly what the major stumbling block is, although I find Keith's recent interview remarks quite plausible that Charlie's demise prevented them from further or even final completion work until now.

I share your thoughts on some of Jagger's lyric writing and studio vocal performance work of recent years though, in particular his over enunciation of words and his sometimes nasal, unnatural sounding overdoing voice that actually turned Superheavy, but also some Stones stuff like Streets Of Love, Following The River, Watching The River Flow amongst others unlistenable for me. Say what you want about GGAG/England Lost, but on these his voice finally sounds great again (and on Blue And Lonesome, Ghost Town, Easy Sleazy, Strange Game too, of course)!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2022 14:52

This year or next year. Otherwise there is always a risk we will be talking about a posthumous release or a release managed by someone outside the group.
In a way it is already a posthumous release since Charlie's departure.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 9, 2022 18:03

VoodooLounge13
retired_dog
Witness
retired_dog
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Way off.

ha ya cracked me up with that onegrinning smiley

streets of love is the only track on a bigger bang i've come to dislike

though i like the live version

come to think of it i might be one of the only people here who actually likes a bigger bang

and as for let's work i love it not because it's good but because it's hilarious

how could anyone take the message of this song seriously coming from mick jagger

and he must of known that how could he not

no to me it's the hilarious follow up to dancing in the streets with bowie

never meant to be taken as a serious attempt at making music but an intentional joke

i mean i put on this video when i'm feeling blue and it always makes me laugh

that little wave he gives the camera at the beginning always kills megrinning smiley

it's like he's doing a crazy parody of himself

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-09 18:10 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: July 9, 2022 18:06

It's too bad we're already talking about a release that will be assessed by most fans posthumorously

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2022 18:13

"Let's Work" is not just "hilarious" it is Sir Michael's ode, or homage, to neoliberalism. And a late tribute to the Iron Lady. It is meant to be taken seriously, not as a joke. In a way his philosophy of life.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 9, 2022 18:21

Nikkei
It's too bad we're already talking about a release that will be assessed by most fans posthumorously

N, is this meant to be funny, a typo, or both?

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: July 9, 2022 18:23

Stoneage
"Let's Work" is not just "hilarious" it is Sir Michael's ode, or homage, to neoliberalism. And a late tribute to the Iron Lady. It is meant to be taken seriously, not as a joke. In a way his philosophy of life.

i know i know

but it's funnier than it is anything else

doesn't it just look like a fake music video made by snl?

the should have mick back on snl just to recreate this video

make up mick in the same clothes and hair and just recreate it shot by shot no need to exaggerate for greater comedic effect

trust me the audience will be rolling on the ground laughing themselves silly

you hear me lorne do it!

Date: July 9, 2022 18:25

angee
Nikkei

i don't know about you but i plan to love the new album from beyond the grave

edit

i just noticed it says posthumorously not posthumously

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-09 19:43 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 9, 2022 19:28

Mick jamming out a new tune with Steve in Amsterdam [www.youtube.com] ? Or maybe just a variation on Miss You ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-09 19:28 by gotdablouse.

Date: July 9, 2022 19:38

angee
Nikkei

If it's funny it was supposed to be funny

Date: July 9, 2022 21:59

While the original video version of Lets Work is "great", this version from a Dutch television show has it's own unique "qualities":

And then there's this "amazing" version from TOTP which I hadn't seen until today...bravo...

Watching and listening to these is a great way to lighten up the mood with some laughs, but think I've had my fill for the next 10 years or so...

Hoping a new album comes out some day...sooner rather than later...for the sake of the band and the fans...there's still a sliver of hope...thumbs up

Date: July 10, 2022 00:09

ProfessorWolf
Stoneage

i know i know

but it's funnier than it is anything else

doesn't it just look like a fake music video made by snl?

the should have mick back on snl just to recreate this video

make up mick in the same clothes and hair and just recreate it shot by shot no need to exaggerate for greater comedic effect

trust me the audience will be rolling on the ground laughing themselves silly

you hear me lorne do it!

Holy Cow!! I'd never thought about that, but you're absolutely right! It IS like a skit from SNL!!! Wow. That is the perfect description for the video. And also, I just want to add that, overall, I, too, like ABB. There are a couple moments that I don't care for. Even SOL, I can tolerate it, though it does grate on me. I think Sweet NeoCon is perhaps the weakest of them all. I really don't think they've done a good political song since Highwire.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...526527528529530531532533534535536...LastNext
Current Page: 531 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home