Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...524525526527528529530531532533534...LastNext
Current Page: 529 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 28, 2022 09:30

GasLightStreet
georgelicks
NilsHolgersson
I hope they don't tour in 2023 and spend a year in the studio recording

So, recording a new album a whole year in a studio to sell maybe 1 million copies worldwide at best.

- $10 per album average - $10 million of gross to split in 3-4 plus producer and back up musicians

Gross form 1 show on tour: $9-11 million

That's part of the answer of no new studio album in 17 years.

You left out the loan - UMe paying whatever for them to record print etc - and the hype, which basically eliminates any profit from what dismal sales there could possibly be.

But they can never spend all the money they already have anyway

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 28, 2022 10:22

IMHO, it's not a matter of money, sales or rankings.
It's a matter of lack of inspiration and willingness to make a very good album after a disappointing and uninspired album like "A Bigger Bang".

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 28, 2022 10:32

Could it be, perhaps, that their collective hearts are no-longer in such a project? The fact that they’ve been working on an album on-and-off suggests they feel some obligation to release an album at some point, yet the time it’s taking and the stop-start nature suggests to me that it’s far from their immediate priority. I still believe we’ll get another studio album: it’s just a question of when?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 28, 2022 10:50

sanQ
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
I think any new Stones record would have trouble keeping up with the energy of Mick and Dave Grohl's collaboration. (I'm still unclear if you can buy Easy Sleazy, or not, and why/why not?)

The energy level can't possibly be what you would expect from a Rolling Stones record. The drums might be good but the bass still sounds like he's playing along to a completely different song.

I rarely think about a new Stones album at this point. Just want more from the vault, or Blue and Lonesome part deux.

I think I'm the only one on here who wasn't so enamored with B&L. I've tried. I really have. I listen to it over and over and hope to hear different. They even won a damn Grammy for it. But to me, IMHO, I think it sounds somewhat forced. Not like the old days when they covered the blues. It's more like Oh yeah, look what we can do. I like the way they came full circle with it all, the Blues I mean, but it just doesn't Rock Me Baby. Pun intended.

I bought B&L when it came out. But I still haven't listened to it except for bits and pieces and I just haven't felt like listening to it. I know some of the songs already from listening to blues and just couldn't get into them like the originals. One day I will get around to listening to it again. But what I really want are some original songs. I am sure there are great ones in the can already but they never get released. I wish they had taken some of the songs from Keith's last solo album and used them as Stones songs with Mick's input on lyrics. Anyway, every time I come back to the forum I end up saying the same thing and no album ever materializes. I wish we could get one more great album out of them. I also wish they would have recorded something with Mick Taylor. Wishful thinking...there probably will never be a last studio album.

Blue and Lonesome just might be their last great album. The last gasp of the Stones. I think it sounds great. Ronnie, Mick, and Clapton are wonderful on it. I think they're a little nervous about releasing new material. They've gone on so long about it, that it can't possibly live up to the Stones of the past. Maybe not even as good as ABB.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: June 28, 2022 11:03

Maybe they should get producer Jack Frost on board to get things done. I heard that the last album he produced was finished in just a couple of takes months and was and still is a masterpiecethumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 29, 2022 07:48

24FPS
sanQ
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
I think any new Stones record would have trouble keeping up with the energy of Mick and Dave Grohl's collaboration. (I'm still unclear if you can buy Easy Sleazy, or not, and why/why not?)

The energy level can't possibly be what you would expect from a Rolling Stones record. The drums might be good but the bass still sounds like he's playing along to a completely different song.

I rarely think about a new Stones album at this point. Just want more from the vault, or Blue and Lonesome part deux.

I think I'm the only one on here who wasn't so enamored with B&L. I've tried. I really have. I listen to it over and over and hope to hear different. They even won a damn Grammy for it. But to me, IMHO, I think it sounds somewhat forced. Not like the old days when they covered the blues. It's more like Oh yeah, look what we can do. I like the way they came full circle with it all, the Blues I mean, but it just doesn't Rock Me Baby. Pun intended.

I bought B&L when it came out. But I still haven't listened to it except for bits and pieces and I just haven't felt like listening to it. I know some of the songs already from listening to blues and just couldn't get into them like the originals. One day I will get around to listening to it again. But what I really want are some original songs. I am sure there are great ones in the can already but they never get released. I wish they had taken some of the songs from Keith's last solo album and used them as Stones songs with Mick's input on lyrics. Anyway, every time I come back to the forum I end up saying the same thing and no album ever materializes. I wish we could get one more great album out of them. I also wish they would have recorded something with Mick Taylor. Wishful thinking...there probably will never be a last studio album.

Blue and Lonesome just might be their last great album. The last gasp of the Stones. I think it sounds great. Ronnie, Mick, and Clapton are wonderful on it. I think they're a little nervous about releasing new material. They've gone on so long about it, that it can't possibly live up to the Stones of the past. Maybe not even as good as ABB.

Living In A Ghost Town was better than anything on A BIGGER BANG.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 29, 2022 13:11

Jack Frost is Dylan himself

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 29, 2022 13:18

They will finish the tour and will be tired and want family time. Keith will say his usual thing that they’ll get together after the holidays but by that time another short tour will be booked. My hopes for a new album has faded. The money is made through touring. If albums sold in general like they did prior to streaming and there was money to be made you would see much new music. It’s as simple as that

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: June 29, 2022 13:18

Yeah, If Living in a Ghost Town is representative for the rest of the album, they should not worry too much. Great track. And so are Doom & Gloom and One More Shot.. Just release it..

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: June 29, 2022 16:25

KeithNacho
Jack Frost is Dylan himself

Of course, that's why he is getting things worked out.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 3, 2022 11:58

I would love for Chanel Haynes to sing on new Stones album...if it's ever released!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 3, 2022 12:49

Regarding “Blue and Lonesome”, I hereby transcript the review from Música Streaming Service TIDAL, that I think summarises very well this great album:

As Keith Richards tells it, the Rolling Stones' first-ever all-blues album is the result of the band learning how to play in the unfamiliar surroundings of Mark Knopfler's British Grove Studios. To ease into the new place, the Stones decided to knock out a version of Little Walter's "Blue and Lonesome" and it sounded good enough that the band decided to cut a few more covers, winding up with a full album of Chicago blues in a few days. The Stones haven't worked at such swift speed in decades -- not since the early '60s, when they were churning out two albums a year -- and much of the appeal of Blue & Lonesome lies in its casualness: by being tossed off, the album highlights how the Stones play together as a band, blending instinct and skill. Blue & Lonesome isn't a showcase for virtuoso playing -- even Eric Clapton's two smoldering solos are part of the tapestry -- but rather a groove record, emphasizing feel and interplay while never losing sight of the song. Such commitment to song is one of the reasons Blue & Lonesome winds up as an unexpected triumph from Mick Jagger. A blues album from the Stones always seemed like a dream project for Keith Richards, who always championed the band's blues roots, but it's Jagger who dominates the album, playing searing harp and singing with nuance and power. Always a guarded performer -- back in 1974, he scoffed at the notion of letting his feelings flood on the page -- Jagger seems freed, pouring heart into the slow burners and uptempo shuffles alike. The rest of the Stones match his commitment and that's what makes Blue & Lonesome something remarkable. Conceptually, it's clever -- if this winds up being the last Rolling Stones album, it provides a nice bookend to their 1964 debut -- but it's artistically satisfying because it's the Rolling Stones allowing themselves to simply lay back and play for sheer enjoyment. It's a rare thing that will likely seem all the more valuable over the years.

[Blue & Lonesome was also released on LP.] ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
(Crítica de álbum de TiVo)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 3, 2022 13:42

People actually want a new boring blues cover album?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 3, 2022 13:50

Stoneage

No. I want an album of originals. I DO NOT expect Exile or Sticky classic Stones. I expect a really solid album that, then again, most other rock bands would kill for. Gimme that. Please. If you can’t, another blues album would be better than nothing, I guess.

Rod

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: July 3, 2022 16:40

Oh no not this again
When you got say dirty works in 1986
It was reflected on that time..
I don't think anyone had a f..computer than times were very different in music
So now a album should reflect what happens now or last ten years
A double album with everything on it dance rock acoustic numbers

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 3, 2022 17:02

I reallyreally don't get their money angle anymore. It's got to be a societal dynamic up there I have no hope of understanding. The last properly researched figures put Mick and Keith at around 280 million each but that was 2011 or so. It seems to me that the only thing that could and likely will catapult them into the billionaire sphere would be selling the rights to the catalog. They are certainly aware of that. So in whatever way it's about the money regarding touring vs recording question, even the touring cash will become chump change at the point of retirement. To reiterate, I don't get it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 3, 2022 17:15

GasLightStreet

Living In A Ghost Town was better than anything on A BIGGER BANG.

Which is not saying much as that album wasn't very memorable, apart from maybe LIND...What really didn't help ABB is that it sounds like a demo, which it was as Mick had planned to record it proper in a real studio, likely with extra musicians to add some flavor, something that had worked well for B2B. It was apparently Keith's idea to release it like that...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 3, 2022 17:40

gotdablouse
What really didn't help ABB is that it sounds like a demo, which it was as Mick had planned to record it proper in a real studio, likely with extra musicians to add some flavor, something that had worked well for B2B. It was apparently Keith's idea to release it like that...

A great Keith story as many are, but also yet another that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. When could Mick have suggested they book studio time with session musicians? Sessions at The Fork were November 2004 (without Charlie or Ronnie) and March/April 2005 (the first week without Ronnie). May 2005 they were at S.I.R. to rehearse for the Julliard two-song gig to announce the tour. The entire month of June was mixing and overdubbing. July/August 2005 was tour rehearsals. Keith might as well have said he walked into Ocean Way and there was Mick Jagger in overalls on scaffolding painting the goddamn ceiling. That taught Keith a lot seeing Jagger up there with paint brush in hand looking like a sad old washer woman.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 3, 2022 18:42

New album confirmed!

[www.universal-music.co.jp]

Well actually it's HONK with a new cover but I need it

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 3, 2022 20:38

NilsHolgersson

New album confirmed!

I guess it's a fraction better than nothing.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 3, 2022 20:45

jahisnotdead
NilsHolgersson

New album confirmed!

I guess it's a fraction better than nothing.

… but it's no even the the 3CD-version (the one with the live bonus CD)

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 6, 2022 02:03

Stoneage

Don't think so. It was OK once but won't work a second time, I believe.

None of us knows what state the album is in (or the respective recordings). The statement from the boys are rather contradictory here, as pointed out many times in this thread. What shocked me a bit in a way was Keith's latest statement about the recordings with Charly (as opposed to you haven't heard the last of Charly yet). All in all I get the impression of a lot of sketches or half-finished songs recorded over the years with only a few songs in such a state that they would need only a few overdubs (apparently, LIAGT was one such song). But what do I know.

I am not really confident that once the European tour is done they would take, say, two weeks off and then immediately carry on with the album. Maybe a day or two here or there before the year is over but I cannot really believe that now they will concentrate on the album and finish it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 6, 2022 02:28

doitywoik
Stoneage

Don't think so. It was OK once but won't work a second time, I believe.

None of us knows what state the album is in (or the respective recordings). The statement from the boys are rather contradictory here, as pointed out many times in this thread. What shocked me a bit in a way was Keith's latest statement about the recordings with Charly (as opposed to you haven't heard the last of Charly yet). All in all I get the impression of a lot of sketches or half-finished songs recorded over the years with only a few songs in such a state that they would need only a few overdubs (apparently, LIAGT was one such song). But what do I know.

I am not really confident that once the European tour is done they would take, say, two weeks off and then immediately carry on with the album. Maybe a day or two here or there before the year is over but I cannot really believe that now they will concentrate on the album and finish it.

What will motivate them after the 60th anniversary tour? More shows by the looks of it, they can't seem to get enough.

Something has 'blocked' their creativity, or desire or both to finalize this album. Obviously there's no monetary incentive, so it has to be about proving they still have it in the studio. Does that matter enough I guess is the question at this point.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 6, 2022 02:47

I guess in the end the reason is that they really need not to do any another album or more music. They are doing just fine without it. Actually, incredibly fine. I mean, look at them. Every gig is about worth of 10 milloin bucks and five stars. No one else in the business can do that. And everybody is happy. I guess they understand their cultural function. Many here simply don't understand or want to accept it.

It is not 1966, 1972, 1983 or even 2005 no more.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-06 02:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 6, 2022 02:47

treaclefingers
Obviously there's no monetary incentive, so it has to be about proving they still have it in the studio. Does that matter enough I guess is the question at this point.

My two cents: it doesn't matter as much as it used to. The cliche would have it that it matters more to Mick than it does to Keith, but also Mick seems more relaxed about it, judging from quotes. And Ronnie? Seems happy painting setlists.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 6, 2022 02:53

Doxa
I guess in the end the reason is that they really need not to do any another album or more music. They are doing just fine without it. Actually, incredibly fine. I mean, look at them. Every gig is about worth of 10 milloin bucks and five stars. No one else can do that. And everybody is happy. I guess they understand their cultural function. Many here simply don't understand or want to accept it.

It is not 1966, 1972, 1983 or even 2005 no more.

- Doxa

And being their age, I think of my parents, whose biggest task each day is weeding for half an hour in the garden and then watering...I mean they're doing stadium tours.

Just impossible to put yourself in their shoes. Also a risk if a new album is a critical flop. They definitely don't want that at this point...they clearly still have egos.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2022 03:12

No new album of originals in nearly 17 years is somewhat embarrassing both for the band and the fans.
Meanwhile, the live nostalgia revue continues... oldies but goodies...no new music at all...they even chopped Ghost Town out of their recent show.
I'd think it would be worth the "risk" to put out a new album - when every single live show receives a glowing 5 star review, certainly a new album will do similar as far as the critics go.
What have they got to lose if they release a new album? Nothing. They'll still rake in money with live shows. But if they don't release a new album after all these years of talking about it? Embarrassing....

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 6, 2022 06:47

I read an interesting article today, an interview with Brian Wheat, longtime bassist for the band Tesla. In it he was talking about the future and the band possibly recording a new album, and he himself stated that the incentive for a new album just isn’t as prevalent as it used to be. The band might do a song here or there and release it, and maybe sometime in the future decide to cut a new album, but that’s not where the industry is anymore. No one listens to albums, and they don’t even buy digital downloads, he continued. He pointed out that most people just stream music these days, and the artists don’t get anything from that. (Not sure if that’s true or not, but that’s what he said). He said they’re a working band, and so if they want to get paid, they have to play live.

I thought the article interesting, and I think it could relate to our boys as well. And why they talk about an album but don’t have any desire or drive/motivation for it. Tesla themselves have been around for nearly 40 years already.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 6, 2022 08:08

Stoneage

No we already have a good one with Blue & Lonesome. What I would like to see though, is a version two of that concept. The blues was obviously important in the Stones, but what about an album of old soul, country and reggae covers? That rendition of You Win Again on SG Deluxe was masterful.
And I want the new album too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 6, 2022 09:23

.... YEAH!!! .. WHAT ABOUT A PRE-WAR COUNTRY BLUES ALBUM ......

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...524525526527528529530531532533534...LastNext
Current Page: 529 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home