Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...523524525526527528529530531532533...LastNext
Current Page: 528 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 25, 2022 08:24

Heh.

Maybe what's holding them up now, aside from preparing to tour and do that, is trying to decide where to include finished or nearly done cuts with Charlie and where to include new cuts with Steve, which I think they may well want to do. How about one "side" for each drummer. Thoughts?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 30, 2022 04:22

Going by their statements about their creativity and how much new stuff they recorded over the years there should be enough material for a Charlie CD and a Steve CD. I just tend to believe that out of the ton of songs they recorded with Charlie, nothing really got finished (and possibly the same might hold of Steve w.r.t. sessions to come ...).

But on the other hand, there has also been Tattoo You, so in priciple it could be done.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 30, 2022 20:52

doitywoik
Going by their statements about their creativity and how much new stuff they recorded over the years there should be enough material for a Charlie CD and a Steve CD. I just tend to believe that out of the ton of songs they recorded with Charlie, nothing really got finished (and possibly the same might hold of Steve w.r.t. sessions to come ...).

But on the other hand, there has also been Tattoo You, so in priciple it could be done.

Well, it all depends on the actual state of the recorded material. If the tracks are close to completion and just need overdubs here and there (like a sax solo, guitar solo, backing vocals, keyboards or whatever comes to mind), then everything is possible.

But if they're still in their raw embryonic state like much of the Licks outtakes for example, then it's indeed a huge problem - and probably better to start from scratch with Steve.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 31, 2022 19:23

If Charlie has laid down some drums I doubt very much they are gonna use Steve Jordan.Having Charlie on the album ,probably his last album is massive for sales.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 31, 2022 19:30

stargroover

If Charlie has laid down some drums I doubt very much they are gonna use Steve Jordan.

Q: "There was a report that Charlie basically recorded his parts for whatever the next album is. And, I mean, is that true? Did Charlie actually finish recording drums for the next album?"

Keith: "No, it’s not true at all. Yeah. I mean, Charlie Watts was playing along. He did some stuff with Mick, and we already have quite a lot of stuff in the can with Charlie from last year. But Charlie Watts certainly wasn’t in the mind of "I’m going to record things because I’m not going to be here." He isn’t that kind of guy. And he didn’t think like that. Charlie would work if somebody said, "Hey, I’ve got a couple of songs, drop by and play," and that’s the way he was. We do have a lot of stuff of Charlie Watt’s still in the can, because we were halfway through making an album when he died, but you know, goddamn, I loved that man."

[www.RollingStone.com] , [iorr.org]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 31, 2022 19:56

stargroover
If Charlie has laid down some drums I doubt very much they are gonna use Steve Jordan.Having Charlie on the album ,probably his last album is massive for sales.

I don't doubt for a second that they won't replace a perfectly good Charlie drum track on a nearly finished song with Steve, that would indeed make no sense. But every song that can't be finished without Charlie will have to be finished with Steve, obviously. Thing is we just don't know the actual state of the recordings they did over the last couple of years. Are they rough sketches, more like demos - or final takes that just need to be fleshed out with whatever overdubs or even ready for the final mix? That's the question at stake here.

Date: May 31, 2022 20:05

Keith: "Of course, if we want to carry on recording, we’re gonna need drums, and it’s gonna be Steve Jordan” - [www.RollingStone.com] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 25, 2022 12:02

Too many days without talking about this hypothetical and mysterious new album. Come on guys...let's say something, this thread based on nothingness needs to go on!!!

Posted by: LorenzAgain ()
Date: June 25, 2022 12:14

I’m still checking here everyone once in a while, for a very simple reason: Stones have provided the soundtrack for my life so far and I would love another fix. It’s not looking that great though, is it…

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 25, 2022 13:35

It could be out next year in September if they'll touring in North America or maybe
in November for Christmas time...Who knows

Date: June 25, 2022 21:34

"Working on it'

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 25, 2022 21:38

Early stages

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 25, 2022 21:40

Uneven...sounds great...needs more work...coming together...don't hold your breath....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 26, 2022 05:39

Irix
stargroover

If Charlie has laid down some drums I doubt very much they are gonna use Steve Jordan.

Q: "There was a report that Charlie basically recorded his parts for whatever the next album is. And, I mean, is that true? Did Charlie actually finish recording drums for the next album?"

Keith: "No, it’s not true at all. Yeah. I mean, Charlie Watts was playing along. He did some stuff with Mick, and we already have quite a lot of stuff in the can with Charlie from last year. But Charlie Watts certainly wasn’t in the mind of "I’m going to record things because I’m not going to be here." He isn’t that kind of guy. And he didn’t think like that. Charlie would work if somebody said, "Hey, I’ve got a couple of songs, drop by and play," and that’s the way he was. We do have a lot of stuff of Charlie Watt’s still in the can, because we were halfway through making an album when he died, but you know, goddamn, I loved that man."

[www.RollingStone.com] , [iorr.org]

Anyone else find it odd that Keith didn't follow the context of the questions, which were apparently asked because of all the previous seven or whatever years they've said they've got 40 songs in the can?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 26, 2022 05:45

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz……………

Rod

Date: June 27, 2022 18:39

bitusa2012
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz……………

Please Rod don't give up!
We need to get to 1000 pages!

Date: June 27, 2022 19:20

GasLightStreet

Anyone else find it odd that Keith didn't follow the context of the questions, which were apparently asked because of all the previous seven or whatever years they've said they've got 40 songs in the can?

Maybe the journalist(s) misunderstood producer Don Was and he meant 40 single tracks on a multi-track tape - [iorr.org] .... and not complete songs. winking smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 27, 2022 20:21

Is Was still involved at this point? I thought I'd read somewhere that he was no longer apart of the recording process.....

Date: June 27, 2022 23:32

VoodooLounge13
Is Was still involved at this point? I thought I'd read somewhere that he was no longer apart of the recording process.....

I hope so.

Date: June 27, 2022 23:32

KRiffhard
VoodooLounge13

I hope so.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 27, 2022 23:52

They could at least have given us some more Blue & Lonesome albums if they feel uninspired to record new songs, but they don't really care I guess, touring is where the money is now, and the average joe in the stadium wants to hear Satisfaction, not their new album. Willie Nelson has released like 20 albums since A Bigger Bang (2005).

Date: June 28, 2022 00:43

I know we lament about how hard it is to move things, since they are a band as opposed to Willie, Dylan, Macca, Neil Young, and Bruce (though I'd argue this one since the E Street is a band - I know it's Bruce's show, but still everyone needs to line up and show up).

But even as solo artists, they have not done a whole lot in the last 17 years. The production has really dried up. Keef one album. How many for Ronnie - 4 (I Feel Like Playing - Studio/Live, Mad Lad, Mr. Luck)? Mick one - Superheavy. That's roughly one album every 3 years.

I remember someone remarking on the productivity and talking about all that they had given us, release wise since ABB. It's hard to count the Super Deluxes, because they're really just finishing old tracks. Those are not original ideas, which is where I think it's mostly dried up. Lyrically, Jagger is well past the plateau at this point, unfortunately. LIAGT is a good tune for them given their age and where they are in life. I couldn't tell you the last time I actually listened to it though.........But it doesn't suffer the effects that a lot of ABB, enunciation wise.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 28, 2022 01:30

I think any new Stones record would have trouble keeping up with the energy of Mick and Dave Grohl's collaboration. (I'm still unclear if you can buy Easy Sleazy, or not, and why/why not?)

The energy level can't possibly be what you would expect from a Rolling Stones record. The drums might be good but the bass still sounds like he's playing along to a completely different song.

I rarely think about a new Stones album at this point. Just want more from the vault, or Blue and Lonesome part deux.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 28, 2022 01:32

I hope they don't tour in 2023 and spend a year in the studio recording

Date: June 28, 2022 02:05

24FPS
I think any new Stones record would have trouble keeping up with the energy of Mick and Dave Grohl's collaboration. (I'm still unclear if you can buy Easy Sleazy, or not, and why/why not?)

The energy level can't possibly be what you would expect from a Rolling Stones record. The drums might be good but the bass still sounds like he's playing along to a completely different song.

I rarely think about a new Stones album at this point. Just want more from the vault, or Blue and Lonesome part deux.

I think I'm the only one on here who wasn't so enamored with B&L. I've tried. I really have. I listen to it over and over and hope to hear different. They even won a damn Grammy for it. But to me, IMHO, I think it sounds somewhat forced. Not like the old days when they covered the blues. It's more like Oh yeah, look what we can do. I like the way they came full circle with it all, the Blues I mean, but it just doesn't Rock Me Baby. Pun intended.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 28, 2022 02:29

NilsHolgersson

So, recording a new album a whole year in a studio to sell maybe 1 million copies worldwide at best.

- $10 per album average - $10 million of gross to split in 3-4 plus producer and back up musicians

Gross form 1 show on tour: $9-11 million

That's part of the answer of no new studio album in 17 years.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 28, 2022 06:22

georgelicks
NilsHolgersson

So, recording a new album a whole year in a studio to sell maybe 1 million copies worldwide at best.

- $10 per album average - $10 million of gross to split in 3-4 plus producer and back up musicians

It sure is..

Pity ARTISTIC CREATIVITY ala McCartney, Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young and other aged/ageing rock stars doesn’t come into the equation for the world’s most expensive (land-locked) cruise ship band.

We should be grateful they’re touring. But Charlie’s most unfortunate passing should prove to them that Time in NOT on Their Side and that they need to finish and release the songs that Keith himself maintains that because of “we haven’t heard the last of Charlie Watts”.

Rod

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 28, 2022 06:29

georgelicks
NilsHolgersson

You left out the loan - UMe paying whatever for them to record print etc - and the hype, which basically eliminates any profit from what dismal sales there could possibly be.

Date: June 28, 2022 09:09

bitusa2012
georgelicks
NilsHolgersson

It sure is..

Pity ARTISTIC CREATIVITY ala McCartney, Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young and other aged/ageing rock stars doesn’t come into the equation for the world’s most expensive (land-locked) cruise ship band.

We should be grateful they’re touring. But Charlie’s most unfortunate passing should prove to them that Time in NOT on Their Side and that they need to finish and release the songs that Keith himself maintains that because of “we haven’t heard the last of Charlie Watts”.

You're right Rod thumbs up

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: June 28, 2022 09:28

VoodooLounge13
24FPS

I think I'm the only one on here who wasn't so enamored with B&L. I've tried. I really have. I listen to it over and over and hope to hear different. They even won a damn Grammy for it. But to me, IMHO, I think it sounds somewhat forced. Not like the old days when they covered the blues. It's more like Oh yeah, look what we can do. I like the way they came full circle with it all, the Blues I mean, but it just doesn't Rock Me Baby. Pun intended.

I bought B&L when it came out. But I still haven't listened to it except for bits and pieces and I just haven't felt like listening to it. I know some of the songs already from listening to blues and just couldn't get into them like the originals. One day I will get around to listening to it again. But what I really want are some original songs. I am sure there are great ones in the can already but they never get released. I wish they had taken some of the songs from Keith's last solo album and used them as Stones songs with Mick's input on lyrics. Anyway, every time I come back to the forum I end up saying the same thing and no album ever materializes. I wish we could get one more great album out of them. I also wish they would have recorded something with Mick Taylor. Wishful thinking...there probably will never be a last studio album.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...523524525526527528529530531532533...LastNext
Current Page: 528 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home