Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...519520521522523524525526527528529...LastNext
Current Page: 524 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2022 02:12

ProfessorWolf
Hairball
Or maybe Mick will officially release his blues covers album recorded with the Red Devils in '92 (which is better than B&L),

it is not better then blue & lonesome

To me it is.

--------------------------------
edit: 1992 Blues sessions posted below

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-04 03:04 by Hairball.

Date: May 4, 2022 02:28

From Ronnie back in 2016.........

"There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up, and Keith's got the odd one, too... The new material will take a while to sit and reshape...
In 2017 we’ll shape up these new songs – we’ve got some in the can and then there’s a lot more on the back burner..."

The back burner...yeah...they must still be slowly simmering and brewing...gradually taking shape...since 2016...
but there's the risk they might have ended up like burnt toast or even fully evaporated by now...to nothing...

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 4, 2022 02:54

Hairball
ProfessorWolf
Hairball
Or maybe Mick will officially release his blues covers album recorded with the Red Devils in '92 (which is better than B&L),

it is not better then blue & lonesome

To me it is.

to be honest i'm fond of checkin up on my baby

and my opinion of which is better may change on hearing them in better sound quality and perhaps a different mix which would come with a official release

Date: May 4, 2022 03:05

Mick Jagger/Red Devils 1992 Blues Sessions:

Date: May 4, 2022 03:25

"... the blues still have something about them that’s really good. I love all kinds of music, and I still listen to the blues". - Mick, 2016

Easy solution: Record and release more blues covers for a Blue and Lonesome pt. II with the Stones. Keith pondered the possibility around the time that B&L was released, and seems now might be a good time to quickly record some more. There's thousands of oldies to choose from! In this case with the non-existent supposed new Stones album, something would definitely be better than nothing, and they wouldn't have to put much thought, time, or effort in to it. Just gather 'round for a couple days in the studio, and get it done. They would also get rid of the annoying questions about a new album in interviews, and would also have something "new" to add to the setlist. They might even win another Grammy - it could be a win-win-win situation. Maybe most importantly, fans around the world would be satisfied (at this point even if it's just a covers album), and this thread could finally be retired. So what if they become known as the Worlds Best Blues Covers Band...that's how they began, and it might be the best way for them to end.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2022 04:02

VoodooLounge13
Crosseyed Heart is a magnificent album of growth I think. Much more diverse than its 2 predecessors. To me, it's similar to The Black Crowes Before The Frost in showing the growth one has made. I'm not comparing the albums to each other, just using BTF for the point of saying they grew tremendously as a group to get to that point, and I think Keef did the same on CH. Can you imagine if that album was a Stones album?!?!? It would be hailed as a new BB!!

beggars Banquet? Seriously? It sounded like a guy bereft of ideas to me. I dont expect much from a man in his mid 70's after the life he'd led, but for me its a huge step down compared to Talk is Cheap and Main Offender.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 4, 2022 05:22

Hairball
"... the blues still have something about them that’s really good. I love all kinds of music, and I still listen to the blues". - Mick, 2016

Easy solution: Record and release more blues covers for a Blue and Lonesome pt. II with the Stones. Keith pondered the possibility around the time that B&L was released, and seems now might be a good time to quickly record some more. There's thousands of oldies to choose from! In this case with the non-existent supposed new Stones album, something would definitely be better than nothing, and they wouldn't have to put much thought, time, or effort in to it. Just gather 'round for a couple days in the studio, and get it done. They would also get rid of the annoying questions about a new album in interviews, and would also have something "new" to add to the setlist. They might even win another Grammy - it could be a win-win-win situation. Maybe most importantly, fans around the world would be satisfied (at this point even if it's just a covers album), and this thread could finally be retired. So what if they become known as the Worlds Best Blues Covers Band...that's how they began, and it might be the best way for them to end.

yes yes this now please!grinning smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 4, 2022 06:03

Gazza
VoodooLounge13
Crosseyed Heart is a magnificent album of growth I think. Much more diverse than its 2 predecessors. To me, it's similar to The Black Crowes Before The Frost in showing the growth one has made. I'm not comparing the albums to each other, just using BTF for the point of saying they grew tremendously as a group to get to that point, and I think Keef did the same on CH. Can you imagine if that album was a Stones album?!?!? It would be hailed as a new BB!!

beggars Banquet? Seriously? It sounded like a guy bereft of ideas to me. I dont expect much from a man in his mid 70's after the life he'd led, but for me its a huge step down compared to Talk is Cheap and Main Offender.

I only felt that way about the opening number, the bereft of ideas bit.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 4, 2022 06:51

VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

Gazza, I think what he means is that it has a lot more depth to it overall, just as BB had a lot more depth to it overall in comparison to... previous albums. Which, in a way, it does. It's a much more diverse album than the previous ones. That's not a quality call, just that it's different.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 4, 2022 07:07

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

Gazza, I think what he means is that it has a lot more depth to it overall, just as BB had a lot more depth to it overall in comparison to... previous albums. Which, in a way, it does. It's a much more diverse album than the previous ones. That's not a quality call, just that it's different.

Well, glad it isn't a quality call because that would be an ugly call.

When TIC came out I was like "Wow, that is a DAMN good album, I thought Mick was the brains behind this outfit!"

Then, Main Offender comes out and I thought, "I guess I was right, Mick IS the brains".

When the new album came out, I forgot I was listening to it because I wandered in the other room to do some ironing.

Date: May 4, 2022 07:10

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

...and BTW, I'd say that diverse is more 'breadth' than 'depth'.

I don't want to say I hated Crosseyed Heart...I just didn't care about it in the slightest.

Date: May 4, 2022 07:12

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

I don't want to say I hated Crosseyed Heart...I just didn't care about it in the slightest.

Breadth... depth... that's a lot of "th"ing going on.

Date: May 4, 2022 07:14

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

"th"at's right!

Date: May 4, 2022 07:16

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

"th"at's right!

Would ya look at "th"at!!??

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 4, 2022 07:17

Even Keef and Ronnie said it wasnt a coconut tree ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 4, 2022 07:20

Rockman
Even Keef and Ronnie said it wasnt a coconut tree ....

Are they believable, though?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2022 14:53

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

I don't know about 'depth', but as far as diversity goes, I think the Stones albums typically do have that quite a lot. I mean, if we look at the albums since, say, STEEL WHEELS on, they all have a diversity of genres going on. All of them are made on elements that derive from the genres they have mastered in the past (and that of really doing something 'out of the box' is pretty occasional). True that, for example, A BIGGER BANG has probably too many generic Stones rockers, but still there are a pure blues number, a country rock number, a dance track, a soul ballad, odd reggae experiment, etc. I guess the question really is how good those songs are, no matter the genre or type.

So I really don't expect the old dogs like Stones doing anything much different this time either - there will be Stones riff rockers together with blues, country, soul, reggae, dance/funk, etc. That of Mick talking about 'experimenting' more is not much more than coloring some pieces with not that ordinary and more contemporary sounds. Not that he is doing a new SATANIC MAJESTIES or a pure hip-hop or polka album.

Actually I don't believe that in the context of the Stones Mick and Keith being that far from each other as far as genres go. Their differences derive more like from mixes, ways of recording, having a say, estimating a quality or potentia of individual track, etc.

What goes for that 'depth' factor, now that's a tough case. I think it has something to do with inspiration and quality, like in the case of BEGGARS BANQUET - Mick and Keith really discovered their mature pen on that album. I can't hear that in recent Stones albums, nor I do not hear that in CROSSEYED HEART (all pretty light-weight in many ways). The difference of the latter to MAIN OFFENDER is more like in diversity (less one-dimensional riff-master exercises and unfinished songs) but not that of depth. I would even say that all those shapeless, raw riff exercises of MO that never took the shape of finished songs have some sort of 'fvck off' and avantgarde feel in them that there is some 'depth' there the way CH does not have (besides MO still had a true, a well-written gem "Hate It When You Leave" and Waddy's "Words of Wonder" is best Stones-related reggae piece ever).

I hope 'depth' does not mean simply 'hey, let us play more slow songs that have less energy in them'. That's just getting old and lazy...winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-04 15:32 by Doxa.

Date: May 4, 2022 16:37

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

That is in fact what I meant GLS. Thanks for clarifying my thoughts! smileys with beer

Date: May 4, 2022 16:41

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

When TIC came out I was like "Wow, that is a DAMN good album, I thought Mick was the brains behind this outfit!"

Then, Main Offender comes out and I thought, "I guess I was right, Mick IS the brains".

When the new album came out, I forgot I was listening to it because I wandered in the other room to do some ironing.

To me, Keef's albums ranked are Main, CEH, then TIC. I've never understood the respect that one gets aside from Locked Away, which is better live anyway, I rarely listen to it. I love Illusion, with Norah Jones. I think they compliment one another extremely well.

Date: May 4, 2022 17:41

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

To me, Keef's albums ranked are Main, CEH, then TIC. I've never understood the respect that one gets aside from Locked Away, which is better live anyway, I rarely listen to it. I love Illusion, with Norah Jones. I think they compliment one another extremely well.

Keith and Sarah Dash doesn't on Make No Mistake?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 4, 2022 18:22

Keith's 3 solo albums are just wonderful, simple as that. Can't even think of rating them

C

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 4, 2022 22:57

liddas
Keith's 3 solo albums are just wonderful, simple as that. Can't even think of rating them

C

I do agree

and if I should rank I would just put MO a step down CH and 2 steps down from TIC

Date: May 4, 2022 23:06

maumau
liddas

C

I do agree

and if I should rank I would just put MO a step down CH and 2 steps down from TIC

Sound about right, but ultimately all three make up a holy trinity.

Date: May 5, 2022 06:31

DandelionPowderman
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

I think Norah is a better fit personally.

Date: May 5, 2022 06:47

VoodooLounge13
DandelionPowderman
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

Perhaps why you have such a different idea of Keith's solo albums in their meanings of them is that the context of them within The Rolling Stones at the time sans CH simply doesn't fit for you. I'm gonna guess everyone else commenting in this bit are older and remember things so that's where the context - and passion about - of Keith's older albums doesn't add up for you.

That's not a bad thing. We all like what we like. Historically speaking, though, CH doesn't add up to TIC by any means, it's just that the old man was able to release another solo album and... etc.

Date: May 5, 2022 15:43

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
DandelionPowderman
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

Perhaps why you have such a different idea of Keith's solo albums in their meanings of them is that the context of them within The Rolling Stones at the time sans CH simply doesn't fit for you. I'm gonna guess everyone else commenting in this bit are older and remember things so that's where the context - and passion about - of Keith's older albums doesn't add up for you.

That's not a bad thing. We all like what we like. Historically speaking, though, CH doesn't add up to TIC by any means, it's just that the old man was able to release another solo album and... etc.

Y'know GSL, that's probably a fair assessment. After all, I came into them in '89 at the age of 13, and I love a lot of the latter day stuff as much as, if not more than, some of the classic stuff. As you say, we all have different, varying musical tastes, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Thankfully there's plenty of music out there - Stones and otherwise - for all of us to enjoy!!

Date: May 6, 2022 07:33

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
DandelionPowderman
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gazza
VoodooLounge13

Y'know GSL, that's probably a fair assessment. After all, I came into them in '89 at the age of 13, and I love a lot of the latter day stuff as much as, if not more than, some of the classic stuff. As you say, we all have different, varying musical tastes, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Thankfully there's plenty of music out there - Stones and otherwise - for all of us to enjoy!!

I'm not a whole lot older than you but my upbringing was centered with a quadrascope of Beatles/Stones/Who/Doors.

I found Zeppelin and a few others along the way etc.

That era, and the generation involved as listeners at that time, have come to view ABC as whatever and think the Stones are just imitating themselves.

Which they are.

But that's the mindset of that generation that hasn't bothered with anything post-1972, really. So it's stuck in their heads about what The Rolling Stones are to them.

Meanwhile I really dig SOUP, IORR, B&B, RESCUE and UNDERCOVER and for the most part, have appreciated everything post-1983.

All of that aside, it still is about context.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 6, 2022 13:20

Given the choice, I’d rather Keith’s 3 solo than Mick’s 4. And I quite enjoy Mick’s last 3. Never really got into She’s the Boss, except Just Another Night which I’ve secretly loved since first hearing it!

Rod

Date: May 6, 2022 20:42

bitusa2012
Given the choice, I’d rather Keith’s 3 solo than Mick’s 4. And I quite enjoy Mick’s last 3. Never really got into She’s the Boss, except Just Another Night which I’ve secretly loved since first hearing it!

+1

I do think She's The Boss is the weakest of the bunch!!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 6, 2022 21:49

VoodooLounge13
bitusa2012

+1

I do think She's The Boss is the weakest of the bunch!!

I agree. The Boss is the weakest of Jagger solo. But given the choice I would choose his four rather than Keith's three solo albums.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...519520521522523524525526527528529...LastNext
Current Page: 524 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home