Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...518519520521522523524525526527528...LastNext
Current Page: 523 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 27, 2022 23:27

StonedRambler
Amazing how people are still yearning for that album. I feel like the Stones have said everything they had to say with their music in their 60 year long career. If I want to listen to the Stones I have hundreds od amazing songs to listen to. If they try to sound like classic-Stones on the new songs (they kinda tried that on ABB ) the real classic Stones stuff will be better anyway. If they try to be innovative there will be endless albums of young recent artists which will be better and more innovative. In the end no matter how hard they tried Stones fans would by hyped for a few weeks, after half a year most people won't talk about it nor listen to it anymore.

Well with that kind of attitude there is NO WAY we'll make it to 1000 pages on this thread.

COME ON PEOPLE!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2022 23:33

Living in a Ghost Town was a great teaser of a single, and I still listen to it when I have the urge for new/original Stones material.
It provided some hope that it was the tip of the iceberg, and more new tunes would follow soon after in the form of a new album, but unfortunately that turned out not to be the case.
Even though the studio version was not everyone's cup of tea, it was a nice addition to the setlist even winning over some of those who were indifferent towards it - even casual fans seemed to like it a little.
But now it's already two years old, and any momentum seems to have vanished in the haze...Mick says a long ways to go for a new album, and Keith said there's "nothing to report'...seems it's back to zero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-27 23:34 by Hairball.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 28, 2022 05:41

And here we go, just another round of the same old, same old... However, it's admirable how some almost desperately try to keep this thread alive, although some new angles would be welcome. But I've run out of ideas, admittedly.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 28, 2022 06:28

retired_dog
And here we go, just another round of the same old, same old... However, it's admirable how some almost desperately try to keep this thread alive, although some new angles would be welcome. But I've run out of ideas, admittedly.

Never let the balloon hit the ground.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 28, 2022 06:43

bitusa2012
Mick SEEMS to be the creative one of the pair. It always APPEARS thus.

Yet Keith released the last solo album of the two, Crosseyed Heart in 2015. Mick’s last solo album was 21 years ago! Goddess in the Doorway was released in 2001, FOUR years BEFORE The Rolling Stones last studio album. Wow!

Things always "seem" or "appear" because we (or, at least, I) don't know for sure. We are just interpreting hints and may even arrive at different conclusions based on the same hints. Nothing wrong with that for me. That's what happens in discussions and what makes them interesting.

As for Mick's output, there was also SuperHeavy in 2011, and a number of film projects (incl. TV) in the noughties and tens with Mick as a producer, advisor or actor. Agreed, the latter can hardly count as record releases but they show at least that he wasn't lazy but kept himself busy in various fields.

As for expectations, one should keep them apart from hopes. What I (and maybe others) expect, if being realistic, is an album with some good (or, if lucky, great songs), some OK songs, some so-so songs and some fillers. That's how I view every album since GHS (not discussing proportions here). I don't really see why this should be different now. Of course I hope for a truly great album but I'll be fine with an album as just outlined. What's hard to estimate is Mick and Keith's expectations as to our (or the rest of the world's) expectations, and perhaps they are a bit off here and expect the rest of the world to expect more than we actually do. The lowest common denominator might be that noone expects them to release a really bad album. Other than that, expectations as well as hopes will vary widely, I guess.

Hairball
Just brainstorming and not saying any of the above are the absolute answers - it could be a combination of some or all of those reasons, and maybe some I havent listed.

Or maybe even all of them and none of them at the same time ...

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 28, 2022 08:21

At this point we should be pleased the Stones are still still touring. Hopefully the band will continue to pop out a few surprises within their live set. Maybe releasing a full album of great tunes is just not realistic? “Ghost Town”
on the last tour was excellent. They have released so many great albums in the past and any future efforts will be immediately compared to their best work -
which is difficult to top.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 28, 2022 08:49

treaclefingers
retired_dog

Never let the balloon hit the ground.

It would just only rock'n' roll around anyway if it did hit the ground, probably get all black and blue and need some kind of emotional rescue, which, the balloon finding a voice, would say, naturally, "Let me go!" Not a bigger bang, really. Unless it's undercover: then it's just, I dunno, some turd on the run kid with sticky fingers, with some stupid girl, stuck between the buttons in the aftermath of a beggar's banquet, having thrust an emotional rescue upon a bum sipping some goats head soup out of a loving cup hoping for rough justice with some girls that have nothing better to do than watch the rain fall down that, even with everything turning to gold, leaves them shattered.

Ain't no use in crying about that one.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 28, 2022 11:39

bitusa2012
doitywoik
Taylor1
Mick has no interest in creating new music.0ne album of new material in 24 years and that album is in my opinion their worst.Even on Bridges Mick and Keith didn’t collaborate much on songs

I don’t think that Mick really has lost his interest in creating new music. He has said repeatedly that he is writing new stuff or jotting down ideas all the time and I see no reason not to believe him. The question is rather the state of completion, perhaps. I wouldn’t be surprised if a good deal of the stuff is in a state such that he could at least sing the songs to you at a camp fire. Under a Neil Young approach that would be enough to put them out on a record. Like, gather the boys, do a run-through of the songs, record that and release the first takes right away because of their spontaneity, or so. It doesn’t work that simple way under a Stones approach, and sometimes (often?) possibly for the better so.

What seems to be gone is the urge, need, willingness (or whatever) to seriously get to work with the rest of the group to work on the songs in the studio up to the point where something is ready for a potential release. And then, what do we really know about the actual inner dynamics of the group? Apparently Mick tried that in 2016 (?) (or whenever) and it didn’t work out even after several attempts (a/k/a the brick wall situation). If Mick had become totally unproctive, or unwilling to be productive, he hadn’t done “Strange Game”, which apparently he could come up with rather quickly and at quite short notice (at least, this is what it sounded like in the interviews/statements). If it doesn’t happen with the Stones, he has other outlets available and it’ll happen elsewhere.

What’s possibly gone is the urge (or whatever) to really produce and release everything he writes. Perhaps it is quite sufficient for Mick these days to write stuff just for his own enjoyment (he has said so in interviews anyway). There’s certainly no economic need for him to regularly supply the market with new product in order to be able to pay the rent.

Another question is how much encouragement there is from the rest of the group. The Mick-Keith situation aside, has Ronnie or Charlie ever called up Mick (or Keith) saying let’s get together and record a few songs, or do a new album? And seen from the (external) perspective of the Stones as an actual group/band, could Ronnie ever have called up Mick or Keith saying, I’ve got a few new songs and I would like to record them with you? He could have done so possibly if it were about a solo album but never for a Stones record.

And what do we know about the actual writing partnership? Our general understanding seems to be that back in the good old days the two of them got together to write together whereas nowadays everyone brings more or less finished songs to the studio (and Mick more so than Keith, in Mick’s case even demos where the others just have to fill in their parts). But have they really ever been writing together, apart perhaps from the super-early days? Doesn’t really seem so?

Returning to Mick’s creativity, he has said often enough that he doesn’t want to do a pure Stones-by-the-numbers album, whereas Keith is not fond of forcedly following (what is perceived of as) recent trends and trying to be modern-ish. (Ronnie possibly doesn’t care as long as he is paid for the gig.) But this cannot be a recent problem. Thinking of e.g. Miss You, which certainly had more to do with Mick’s attitude than Keith’s, did Keith at first oppose the idea of doing a disco-ish song? Or did he like the idea? Or did he just go along with it because the rest of the album was not like that?

Since it is hard for us to know what Mick’s ideas for the new album would have been it is impossible to judge whether Keith did well when opposing them or whether he blocked exciting fresh approaches. I can understand Mick’s interest in also doing somehing like Might As Well Get Juiced (although I personally don’t find it a great song/version and always skip it when listening to Bridges) but a whole album like that? Maybe OK as an artistic experiment but then rather in the vein of Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music. Or did Keith oppose every tiny little thing, even if it would have helped a song?

We will possibly never know. Meanwhile we can address more pressing questions such as which members of the Stones have actually been portrayed by Cynthia Plaster Caster, or the like. winking smiley

Mick SEEMS to be the creative one of the pair. It always APPEARS thus.

Yet Keith released the last solo album of the two, Crosseyed Heart in 2015. Mick’s last solo album was 21 years ago! Goddess in the Doorway was released in 2001, FOUR years BEFORE The Rolling Stones last studio album. Wow!

Even the Alfie soundtrack album of 2004 pre-dates A Bigger Bang.

So - IS Mick indeed the creative force in the band? England Lost and Gotta Get a Grip? If they’re indicative of his creativity, or that abomination he released with Dave Grohl, Easy Sleazy, well, as much as I’d like a STONES album, maybe put the cue in the track. Or, Mick, listen to Keith and give him at least 50/50 creative control! Don’t say “no” just because Keith wants to sound like The Stones. You not wanting to sound like The Stones hasn’t actually sounded so good!

Sorry to quote so long posts, but editing with mobile phone is just so slow...

But I just wanted to comment about Mick's output and his possible 'creative control'.

I think what is not noticed by either you guys here is what Mick has mostly done in terms of Stones releases is the bonus material for deluxe editions for their classic albums.

(sorry, I continue later)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-28 11:41 by Doxa.

Date: April 28, 2022 12:50

Okay, to continue the post above.

I tried to say that since 2010 (or 2009 precisely) when the bonus track project started Mick has spent a lot of time playing with a classical Stones sound. In many cases he has done his creative output as he has done to any new Stones track. Or like he once contributed to finishing up TATTOO YOU. In some cases, he probably needed to start even more from a scratch - "Plundered My Soul", "Following the River" - when there probably was just a very brief and rough backing track, with no any kind of idea of vocal melody or lyrics (but in some cases - like "Do You Think I Really Care" it was just a question of recutting the vocals). If we take all those bonus songs from EXILE to TATTOO YOU, with having a recent Jagger contribution, there probably is worth an album of 'TATTOO YOU' type songs there (that would actually make the best Stones album since TATTOO YOU, me thinks).

Anyway, I think two points need to be noted.

First is that when there is a project with a deadline, Mick seems to be motivated to be 'creative' and able to finish up the project pretty easily.

Second is that Mick nowadays needs to be more than awere how the classic Stones at their traditional best do sound like. He has been lived in that retroland more than his image allows. Interesting is what that non-typical experience has affected on him in terms of possible new music. My guess is that to balance that retro stuff he wants to do something different. That was something he was hinting when this new album project started. Another possibility might be inspired by that: 'yeah, let us do stuff like that again', but that doesn't sound like Mick. My picture is more like him going 'well, if you like stuff like that, you have all that already in EXILE, SOME GIRLS, TATTOO YOU, etc. '

But I think the idea that all Jagger wants to do is to 'experiment'/'chase new trends' is pretty one-dimensional and actually wrong. If we look at all his releases since, say, SUPER HEAVY to "Strange Game", including the Stones bonus tracks, some new Stones songs, the blues album and his solo singles, it has been pretty ecclectic. I think that's the biggest difference he has with Keith: his scope simply is musically wider. Keith, by contrast, is more purist kind of person musically - something he once loathed. Of course, many Stones fans think Keith-alike, and loath Mick's non-orthodox adventures by principle.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-28 13:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 28, 2022 12:51

Wouldn't it be great if just for once Mick could forget trying to be contemporary and encourage an old school classic 66-mid-70s sound Stones album.

We've already had a return to roots with Blue & Lonesome so why not go for a classic that brings in some country, a little reggae, a little rock that rolls, some New Orleans voodoo, some funk and a whole lotta great Chuck inspired rock'n'roll.

I don't think there is an age group out there that appreciates the Stones trying to be contemporary. The kids just laugh and the oldies get bored.

If anything - and judging by my 14-year-old daughter and her friends - kids of today want a classic sounding Stones album. It's not that hard, is it?

Date: April 28, 2022 12:51

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-28 12:53 by Doxa.

Date: April 28, 2022 12:58

Silver Dagger
Wouldn't it be great if just for once Mick could forget trying to be contemporary and encourage an old school classic 66-mid-70s sound Stones album.

We've already had a return to roots with Blue & Lonesome so why not go for a classic that brings in some country, a little reggae, a little rock that rolls, some New Orleans voodoo, some funk and a whole lotta great Chuck inspired rock'n'roll.

I don't think there is an age group out there that appreciates the Stones trying to be contemporary. The kids just laugh and the oldies get bored.

If anything - and judging by my 14-year-old daughter and her friends - kids of today want a classic sounding Stones album. It's not that hard, is it?

Well, I just tried to describe that Mick actually has spent most of his creative Stones energy since 2009 in a retro project like that (with some surprisingly good results I think).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-28 13:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 28, 2022 13:16

Silver Dagger

wasn't that sorta the idea behind voodoo lounge?

Date: April 28, 2022 13:50

ProfessorWolf
Silver Dagger

Yep. 'Formally' okay - using all familiar components from the past (I once described the album 'Stones For Dummies') - but creatively their least inspired effort by then. With A BIGGER BANG they tried that similar concept with lesser energy and with even weaker results. Recreating the old magic is not that simple when there is not a real muse involved. I think they could have released albums like those two about every second year, but I do understand why there is no motivation (especially when you take the money-making factor off).

This is not to say that those two albums are not good. They are, but by their own criterion, they are just so mediocre and forgettable, adding nothing to their legacy. I think musically the most of the bonus tracks from recent years are better, because (a) the band simply sounds more organic and better (not only due having Bill), (b) the tracks derive from the times when there still was an inspiration, them not looking back and copying themselves yet.

- Doxa

Date: April 28, 2022 18:29

Silver Dagger

Seems Mick has been completely out of focus whether chasing trends or attempting to be contemporary and/or experimental. At this late stage, he might want to consider focusing on his strengths that are succesful, and that doesn't mean resurrecting buried Stones leftovers and giving them a new finish, or attempting to literally mimic the Stones of the '60's and '70's. While some of Mick's "cutting edge" stuff over the years has been nice, you'd think he would have realized by now that most don't really care about his contemporary experiments as most (if not all) of it has been forgotten. But I suppose that's his inner artist speaking to him - even if it's a misguided inner artist - he'll release what he wants any old time. Or he'll simply be stubborn and refuse to bend with regards to the supposed new Stones album. Meanwhile he and Keith will buy more time between and during tours talking about how they're working on a new Stones album that's years in the making as if it's the holy grail, but it's really become sort of a joke.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-28 18:35 by Hairball.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 28, 2022 20:12

A lot of considerations I agree with in the latest messages including the last sentence in Hairball's. All I am expecting (and actually I am not craving for anymore) is a last good Rolling Stones album that I can play from start to finish without skipping. Maybe they have already given that in 2015. "Hope" for one more of originals, but I'm not hoping too much. Always been sympathetic with Mick's drive to do something different, but it has almost always turned out to be a very weak drive to do something "trendy". the song for the slow Horses is nice but it sure makes me smile as its Kurt Weill's flavour reminds me that his once fiancee has reinforced her reputation as an interpreter and artist in the... nineties with stuff like but better than that. the muse is gone. hopefully not the energy and the know-how to make a good album with good songs. ghost town was one of that, and i am among those who changed their minds upon listening the live version. come on come on

Date: April 28, 2022 22:25

ProfessorWolf
Silver Dagger

Don Was's idea. Mick wasn't too happy.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 28, 2022 22:31

Silver Dagger

I think that was also a reason behind the Keith-Mick split in the early 80s. Jagger searched for the trends and wanted to be contemporary while Keith was satisfied with what they got.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 28, 2022 23:28

Most people consider ABB their last studio album, but Blue & Lonesome is truly their last great work of the latter day Stones. It has their sound, while adding a deft touch to classic blues tunes. It could also be Charlie's last album at this rate. (And he was really good on it. Subtle, not expected to bang away).

Mick Jaggers' collaboration with Dave Grohl exhibited the kind of energy we'll never see from these octogenarian Stones again. Maybe Steve Jordan's drumming can up the ante on a few of the cuts in the can.

Personally I'm satisfied with Blue and Lonesome. What are the Stones going to make an album about at this point? Denture slippage? The best hair color? Songs like Viagra Nights? Heartburn Hell? You Got To Move Your Bowels?

They need help. Like Eric on Blue and Lonesome. A different piano sound. Effective bass. No one is expecting Keith to pull another nimble acoustic masterpiece like Angie. They're still great songwriters. But they can't do all the heavy lifting at this point.

Date: April 28, 2022 23:37

Doxa
ProfessorWolf
Silver Dagger

Yep. 'Formally' okay - using all familiar components from the past (I once described the album 'Stones For Dummies') - but creatively their least inspired effort by then. With A BIGGER BANG they tried that similar concept with lesser energy and with even weaker results. Recreating the old magic is not that simple when there is not a real muse involved. I think they could have released albums like those two about every second year, but I do understand why there is no motivation (especially when you take the money-making factor off).

This is not to say that those two albums are not good. They are, but by their own criterion, they are just so mediocre and forgettable, adding nothing to their legacy. I think musically the most of the bonus tracks from recent years are better, because (a) the band simply sounds more organic and better (not only due having Bill), (b) the tracks derive from the times when there still was an inspiration, them not looking back and copying themselves yet.

- Doxa

well then it seems to me that when they started out they couldn't write songs so they covered the songs of there heroes

then they figured out how to write there own and started doing less covers till they mostly did there own material

now in 2022 it seem they can't really write songs like they used to

so i propose they return to recording mostly covers with a few originals every year for as long as they have left

just stick a basic tongue on the cover and sell it

most of us liked blue & lonesome and would welcome a few more albums like that

i mean they could have done a whole album like this in jamaica with a minimum of effort and time invested for a product that most of there fans would like and buy as well as any album of originals if not more

Date: April 29, 2022 00:08

CROSSEYED HEART was a widely eclectic mix of various styles and genres that the Stones have dealt with throughout their entire career.
Country, soul, r&b, blues (electric and acoustic), rock, reggae, and even some experimental vibes with the chaotic shout-along of Substantial Damage.
That tune, and perhaps the entire album for that matter. didn't please everyone, but no denying there were plenty of Stonesy ingredients involved.
If Mick and Keith could be more accepting of each other's ideas, and less hard-nosed and ego-driven, there's a better chance they'd be able to compromise and get something completed.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 29, 2022 00:36

Substantial Damage always seemed that
it was a spill over influence from Steve
Jordan working with John Spencer Blooooze Explosion .,....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 29, 2022 09:35

if i remember correctly, from the netflips docpic, it was a last minute recording to add more variety. great choice, luv substantial damage

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 29, 2022 17:38

Crosseyed Heart is a magnificent album of growth I think. Much more diverse than its 2 predecessors. To me, it's similar to The Black Crowes Before The Frost in showing the growth one has made. I'm not comparing the albums to each other, just using BTF for the point of saying they grew tremendously as a group to get to that point, and I think Keef did the same on CH. Can you imagine if that album was a Stones album?!?!? It would be hailed as a new BB!!

Date: May 3, 2022 06:02

Times sure have changed....

"I enjoy making records a lot. And I quite enjoy concerts but less than I used to; I don't really enjoy them anymore". - Mick, 1980

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 3, 2022 10:08

Hairball
Times sure have changed....

"I enjoy making records a lot. And I quite enjoy concerts but less than I used to; I don't really enjoy them anymore". - Mick, 1980

Times obviously have changed...

1969 - You Got The Silver (Keith)
2005 - Infamy (Keith)
1969 - Brown Sugar (Mick)
2005 - Sweet Neo Con (Mick)

Date: May 4, 2022 01:04

VoodooLounge13
Crosseyed Heart is a magnificent album of growth I think. Much more diverse than its 2 predecessors. To me, it's similar to The Black Crowes Before The Frost in showing the growth one has made. I'm not comparing the albums to each other, just using BTF for the point of saying they grew tremendously as a group to get to that point, and I think Keef did the same on CH. Can you imagine if that album was a Stones album?!?!? It would be hailed as a new BB!!

I can't really see CROSSEYED HEART as a Stones album. Firstly, I am so old-fashionable that I think a proper Stones album should have Mick Jagger singing most of the main vocals... (and having Charlie too wouldn't hurt, although Keith has a Stones drummer there already).

Secondly, and yeah, more seriously, I think the song material is suitable for a rootsie person like Keith to do a nostalgia trip for the genres he once grew up to love, and of which all were full-matured 50 years ago (the youngest being 'reggae'). To me most of the tracks are a bit too pastishe-like representing a given genre a bit too obviously. It is not even trying to sound very original or innovative, but 'authentic' with its familiar cliches, relying on Keith's personal charisma. For a one-man show, putting all his heart there, that works, but I can't see the Stones being so rootsie-driven. Can't see Mick clicking with that material. And if Mick's heart is not properly involved, The Stones doesn't work.

What I mean is that CROSSEYED HEART is a good Keith Richards album (and there is a bit like musical testament feel there), but I don't see it working as a model for a Stones album (except for a couple of Keith main vocal tracks, and a cut or two for Mick to sing/work further).

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-04 01:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 4, 2022 01:41

whoever leaked the supreme court opinion please see about getting some new Stones tracks out there

Date: May 4, 2022 01:53

Maybe they'll end up doing do another Blue and Lonesome pt. II simply made up of more decades old blues covers. Nothing original or innovative there, yet the band members all seemed to thrive - espceially Mick with his vocals and harmonica playing. While it wasn't the greatest blues covers album by any stretch, it was better than nothing, and it actually won some sort of minor Grammy for the band. And the one or two (or three?) tunes they played live from it were a breath of fresh air as far as the stagnant setlists are concerned, even though some casual fans might have been bored with them. Or maybe Mick will officially release his blues covers album recorded with the Red Devils in '92 (which is better than B&L), along with some other of his oddball originals, while Keith can release another solo album made up of great originals and classy covers ala Crosseyed Heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-04 01:55 by Hairball.

Date: May 4, 2022 02:11

Hairball
Maybe they'll end up doing do another Blue and Lonesome pt. II simply made up of more decades old blues covers. Nothing original or innovative there, yet the band members all seemed to thrive - espceially Mick with his vocals and harmonica playing. While it wasn't the greatest blues covers album by any stretch, it was better than nothing, and it actually won some sort of minor Grammy for the band. And the one or two (or three?) tunes they played live from it were a breath of fresh air as far as the stagnant setlists are concerned, even though some casual fans might have been bored with them. Or maybe Mick will officially release his blues covers album recorded with the Red Devils in '92 (which is better than B&L), along with some other of his oddball originals, while Keith can release another solo album made up of great originals and classy covers ala Crosseyed Heart.

it is not better then blue & lonesome

but yeah it would be awesome to have

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...518519520521522523524525526527528...LastNext
Current Page: 523 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home