Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...515516517518519520521522523524525...LastNext
Current Page: 520 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2022 00:24

Having a close friend and creative partner live on your
property when you're very wealthy with large homes isn't all that uncommon.

ya mean like help write a song in the
evening then out mowin' the lawns all day ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 17, 2022 03:13

"Other duties as assigned."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 17, 2022 05:33

stargroover
This album is gonna be high on reggae.Maybe they can unearth some unheard collaborations with Peter Tosh circa 78,and some of Keef's stuff with the Upsetter.Let's do this thing right.

Hopefully you're kidding.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 17, 2022 08:58

Known as wishful thinking.
But I do hope for a reggae flavour though.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 17, 2022 11:06

GasLightStreet
stargroover
This album is gonna be high on reggae.Maybe they can unearth some unheard collaborations with Peter Tosh circa 78,and some of Keef's stuff with the Upsetter.Let's do this thing right.

Hopefully you're kidding.

I’m with you, here. Whilst I don’t mind The odd reggae-flavoured track, I can only take so much. It just isn’t a genre I gravitate towards at all. I don’t even particularly care for Bob Marley. Some of his recordings, I find enjoyable, but it just isn’t for me at all.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 17, 2022 14:36

GerardHennessy
You make a very very good point indeed. That it may be too late now to add to what has gone before.

Behind all the frustrating hints and vague suggestions that 'we are working on stuff that we need to finalise..' are the facts and realities of the current situation. The band members are getting older. Their creative energy will not flow as quickly as it once did. There appears to be a difference of opinion between Keith and Mick about musical direction. The band are focusing on non-studio activities - specifically touring and live performance. Any time outside of performing is taken up with preparing material in the vaults for release. This might be old concert recordings or unreleased studio material used to embellish anniversary box sets. And of course Keith has been refreshing and upgrading some of his solo material such as the Main Offender re-release.

With all of that going on, and with Charlie's death still fresh in the mind of everyone, it is hardly surprising that a new album has slipped a long way down the list of priorities. And a further sad, but unavoidable, reality is that any new album will not sell in huge quantities. Certainly not enough to earn a long chart life, or in sufficient numbers to warrant a large investment in time and effort by a group of veteran musicians. It will sell fairly well in the first couple of weeks and then disappear without trace.

And that, if it happens, will be a real shame!

And yet chart success, sales, or lack of them, don’t stop Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young and other older acts from CREATING something and getting it out. It’s honestly embarrassing not that The Stones, the world Greatest Rock and Roll band for 60 years, can’t, and haven’t.

Rod

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: April 17, 2022 17:07

bitusa2012
And yet chart success, sales, or lack of them, don’t stop Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young and other older acts from CREATING something and getting it out. It’s honestly embarrassing not that The Stones, the world Greatest Rock and Roll band for 60 years, can’t, and haven’t.

Dylan, Springsteen, and Young are also solo artists, and therefore have a very different dynamic than a band like the Stones. While the aforementioned solo artists often collaborate with the same musicians on their records, there is no question about who's in charge creatively. They may have some input here and there, but if Steven Van Zandt doesn't like a song Springsteen brings to the table, I highly doubt he's going to override the Boss. The Rolling Stones have two creative forces driving the band with Mick and Keith, and it's no secret they haven't seen eye-to-eye creatively for some time now. It doesn't surprise me that they've apparently hit a wall, likely on multiple occasions, in creating a new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-17 17:07 by HotStuff92.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 17, 2022 20:17

As long as sell-out tours prove that the Stones can be hugely and, of course, monetary successful without any new material, that long new music will remain at the bottom of their priority list. It's as easy as that.

Plus, over the timespan of their entire career, they have already given us more music than one could possibly ask for from ANY band or artist. What's left to add? Not much, I'm afraid.

Date: April 17, 2022 22:40

Mick post-LICKS tour:

I can't see us stopping. Not at the moment. Maybe we won't tour as we did - 16 months nonstop - but more regularly. I don't like to stay away from the stage too long, but I don't see us as just a live act. I think we have to do a record soon... (But b)eing a live band gives you instant gratification; records don't.

[timeisonourside.com]

However, Mick excellently predicted the post-BANG barely anything past 1981 set list future of the Stones while talking about the upcoming new album A BIGGER BANG in 2005:

Mick: If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear "Brown Sugar" than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough.

There's no harm in (touring behind a greatest hits CD) occasionally but we didn't want to do it again so soon. You become like an oldies band. We put new stuff out because we still can. We have lots of it - it's not like we're just eking out. Rock fans tend to be conservative. Ah, I much prefer "Brown Sugar". Yeah, well, but listen to THIS, @#$%&.

Keith: The last tour, you might say, was basically resting on your laurels. It was like celebrating your wonderful career, your great success and all that... After that, we needed to prove ourselves again. I don't think we would be talking about the new tour if it was pure regurgitation.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

They didn't become like an oldies band, they became an oldies band. A regurgitating oldies band.

They've had ample time to put new stuff out. Since 2005 they've released 2 singles for THE SIMIAN DISASTER and one new single since - that does not equate to putting new stuff out because they can.

So not quite 17 years since BANG... they couldn't care less about a new LP - in fact, they don't care at all. Mick predicted it - they can't be bothered to care.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2022 22:42

HotStuff92
The Rolling Stones have two creative forces driving the band with Mick and Keith, and it's no secret they haven't seen eye-to-eye creatively for some time now.
It doesn't surprise me that they've apparently hit a wall, likely on multiple occasions, in creating a new album.

Yeah...they seem to have been having major problems with each other writing, recording, and communicating for many years now, and the only time they can stand each other's presence is when they're on stage together.
But even then it's like an awkward family reunion at Christmas w/weird relatives...uncomfortable forced smiles...but making millions of dollars undoubtedly helps, and seems to be the only reason they stay connected.
Looking forward to the next 60th anniversary rehash of old material, and with any luck they'll release a new single. You gotta hope anyways, otherwise it becomes more and more disappointing by the day.

Date: April 17, 2022 22:50

The 60 REHASH!!!!!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 18, 2022 03:49

Mick has no interest in creating new music.0ne album of new material in 24 years and that album is in my opinion their worst.Even on Bridges Mick and Keith didn’t collaborate much on songs

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: April 19, 2022 17:34

So many good insightful comments by other contributors here. For me, I think it is a real shame that the band - basically Mick and Keith - cannot get it together for one last hurrah. One last new album to send us off into whatever time we, and the band, have now left. And if there are insurmountable creative differences between them, why not adopt a kind of Tattoo You approach? But instead of a fast side and a slow side, take a Mick side and a Keith side on the new album. It might even be fun.

Of course this entire discussion is totally pointless. The band will do whatever they choose to do, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Their thinking appears to be 'We are still a viable performing entity. We enjoy it. Many hundreds of thousands of fans enjoy it. We make good money. Why change a winning formula? And for those who want new product, we have various odds and ends in the vaults that we can tidy-up and release...'

Date: April 19, 2022 19:55

GerardHennessy
So many good insightful comments by other contributors here. For me, I think it is a real shame that the band - basically Mick and Keith - cannot get it together for one last hurrah. One last new album to send us off into whatever time we, and the band, have now left. And if there are insurmountable creative differences between them, why not adopt a kind of Tattoo You approach? But instead of a fast side and a slow side, take a Mick side and a Keith side on the new album. It might even be fun.

Of course this entire discussion is totally pointless. The band will do whatever they choose to do, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Their thinking appears to be 'We are still a viable performing entity. We enjoy it. Many hundreds of thousands of fans enjoy it. We make good money. Why change a winning formula? And for those who want new product, we have various odds and ends in the vaults that we can tidy-up and release...'

Interesting thoughts. In particular the one about their apparent thinking. Well, I don't believe they think like us - "17 years since their last album". It may well be that in their mind, they regard Blue And Lonesome and at least the Exile, SG & TY bonus discs as "new albums": So that's 5 albums of new material in 17 years (including ABB, of course), approximately 1 new album every 3 1/2 years plus some singles - "Hey, what more can you expect from us old buggers?"

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 19, 2022 20:05

retired_dog

It may well be that in their mind, they regard Blue And Lonesome and at least the Exile, SG & TY bonus discs as "new albums":

Plus the GHS Bonus-Disc (with 3 "new" Tracks) in 2020 ....

Date: April 19, 2022 21:22

From Don Was, April 2019:

"I can’t really describe the album because we haven’t made the choices yet. Keith and Mick have been writing together, it’s all original material and it’s really good".

And again Don Was, July 2019:

"We probably have 40 (tracks), and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined. Right now it can go any way.
There's some really good stuff in there, and there's a sense that making a good album is not good enough, it's got to be great".

We haven't heard from Don Was in quite some time as far as I know, but might be interesting to hear what he has to say about the "new" album now. Or maybe not.
Wondering if he's still involved at all - he's currently on tour in a band with with Bob Weir, so any Stones work he might be involved with will have to be put on the back burner.
And with the upcoming Stones tour, any work on new material for the Stones from Keith and Mick is probably on the back burner also - the week in Jamaica might have been it for a while.
Seems like there's a constant state of flux and indecisiveness, and that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. A shame as they probably want to finish a new album, but just can't seem to get it done.
Has there been mention from anyone when they might decide to meet up again at a studio somewhere? Maybe another week in Jamaica after the tour? Or maybe New York before Christmas?

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 19, 2022 21:48

Better chance for 2023 than 2022, I'm guessing.

Date: April 19, 2022 22:05

Irix
retired_dog

It may well be that in their mind, they regard Blue And Lonesome and at least the Exile, SG & TY bonus discs as "new albums":

Plus the GHS Bonus-Disc (with 3 "new" Tracks) in 2020 ....

I intentionally did not include this one in my counting - just because it had only 3 "new" tracks - "file under: some singles"!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 20, 2022 06:03

Hairball
From Don Was

"We probably have 40 (tracks), and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined. Right now it can go any way.
There's some really good stuff in there, and there's a sense that making a good album is not good enough, it's got to be great".

What I like most about this is, reading between the lines, even though they say they have 40 tracks, they want to whittle it down to 10...TEN!

That seemingly means they realize they don't need to release a double album's worth of material.

This still may not happen, but if it does maybe it'll be a little tighter than the last 3 studio albums of non-covers.

Date: April 20, 2022 06:26

treaclefingers
Hairball
From Don Was

What I like most about this is, reading between the lines, even though they say they have 40 tracks, they want to whittle it down to 10...TEN!

That seemingly means they realize they don't need to release a double album's worth of material.

This still may not happen, but if it does maybe it'll be a little tighter than the last 3 studio albums of non-covers.

DIRTY WORK was the last LP to have covers on it and their first since EXILE to have more than one. As I recall, anyway.

Date: April 20, 2022 06:27

treaclefingers
Hairball
From Don Was

Maybe, but considering this quote is from nearly three years ago (July 2019), reading between the lines tells me they've been going nowhere fast.

Date: April 20, 2022 08:37

520 pages of... nothing.

I have decided to boycott this thread until the day it becomes a ‘sticky’ and we therefore know that something is imminent: a new album. Will anyone join me?

So far, there’s literally no substance in these pages, whatsoever.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 20, 2022 09:33

Big Al
520 pages of... nothing.

I have decided to boycott this thread until the day it becomes a ‘sticky’ and we therefore know that something is imminent: a new album. Will anyone join me?

Why just a boycott and not a hunger strike till the day it makes it to a "sticky"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-20 11:17 by GetYerAngie.

Date: April 20, 2022 11:11

GetYerAngie
Big Al
520 pages of... nothing.

Why just a boycott and not a hunger strike till the day it makes to a "sticky"?

I'm all for a hunger strike - it may warm the hearts of the band and they'll probably even release at least a single...

Date: April 20, 2022 11:53

GetYerAngie
Big Al
520 pages of... nothing.

Why just a boycott and not a hunger strike till the day it makes it to a "sticky"?

I'm not boycotting because it isn't a 'sticky' I'm boycotting because it's 520 pages of emptiness! My point about it being a 'sticky', is that it'll be the moment we know a release is a definite reality. It'll mean genuine news; not 520 pages of wastage!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 20, 2022 12:08

Big Al
GetYerAngie
Big Al
520 pages of... nothing.

I'm not boycotting because it isn't a 'sticky' I'm boycotting because it's 520 pages of emptiness! My point about it being a 'sticky', is that it'll be the moment we know a release is a definite reality. It'll mean genuine news; not 520 pages of wastage!

I know, Big Al, I know.

Date: April 20, 2022 12:31

GetYerAngie

I know, Big Al, I know.

And you can sense the immense frustration that I, that we all, feel. sad smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 20, 2022 12:59

We're getting closer though. It got to be 2022 or 2023. Otherwise it might be a posthumous release (which it is already, partly). I don't think it would be a wise decision to wait with a release till they are past 80.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-20 13:16 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 20, 2022 13:49

Big Al
520 pages of... nothing.

Nothing? I could not disagree more. 520 pages full of speculation based on smallest hints, hopefulness, anger, frustration, OT discussion... IORR at its very best.

Soon it will be all over. Once the album is released, there will a couple dozen pages of first over-praisal and big fiesta, but all of that will be soon reduced to collective disappointment (only some Hairball will be happy to point out how low the sales are) . And after a month the whole thing will be forgotten (like any new album by old catalogue artists). After a year or so, some posts by biggest diehards are shared discussing how the album rates against A BIGGER BANG. The rest couldn't care less.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-20 14:02 by Doxa.

Date: April 20, 2022 14:42

Doxa
[
Nothing? I could not disagree more. 520 pages full of speculation based on smallest hints, hopefulness, anger, frustration, OT discussion... IORR at its very best.

Soon it will be all over. Once the album is released, there will a couple dozen pages of first over-praisal and big fiesta, but all of that will be soon reduced to collective disappointment (only some Hairball will be happy to point out how low the sales are) . And after a month the whole thing will be forgotten (like any new album by old catalogue artists). After a year or so, some posts by biggest diehards are shared discussing how the album rates against A BIGGER BANG. The rest couldn't care less.

- Doxa

I will respectfully disagree, Doxa. Where as you see what you've outlined, and view it positively, I view it as an overall negative. I love our discussions here on Tell Me, but not when it's baseless. We've been fed crumbs and the most scanty, barebones, meaningless soundbites and cliched interview responses. When BV hears something concrete, and shares it with us, we'll be in business. Until then...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...515516517518519520521522523524525...LastNext
Current Page: 520 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home