Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...511512513514515516517518519520521...LastNext
Current Page: 516 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 31, 2022 20:22

Barkerboy2
It's funny, but to me, the 90s was a real golden era. I think that is due to my age and the time at which I got into the band though, so I guess we are all different smiling smiley

I got into the band during the 80's, and despite the band or the Twins coming up with a new album about every year, and it was interesting to follow what happens next, I am not quite willing to call it a golden era... tongue sticking out smiley

Strange to think it now, but I've been since then waiting the band to make a new 'Start Me Up', and I am still waiting... Even though that was the song that got me hooked back then, I thought that it was just another new hot single, and the band will come up with those if not every year, but every a few years. You know, a new instant Stones classic. The same goes to TATTOO YOU. It was a wonderful album back then for sure, but pretty much 'just another Stones album' , and nothing that extraordinary if compared to their past (I mean, it was just three years from already then legendary SOME GIRLS). Now it is like The Last Masterpiece, and anything they have done ever since pales in comparision with a huge margin.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-31 20:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 31, 2022 20:27

Doxa
Barkerboy2
It's funny, but to me, the 90s was a real golden era. I think that is due to my age and the time at which I got into the band though, so I guess we are all different smiling smiley

I got into the band during the 80's, and despite the band or the Twins coming up with a new album about every year, and it was interesting to follow what happens next, I am not quite willing to call it a golden era... tongue sticking out smiley

Strange to think it now, but I've been since then waiting the band to make a new 'Start Me Up', and I am still waiting... Even though that was the song that got me hooked back then, I thought that it was just another new hot single, and the band will come up with those if not every year, but every a few years. You know, a new instant Stones classic. The same goes to TATTOO YOU. It was a wonderful album back then for sure, but pretty much 'just another Stones album' , and nothing that extraordinary if compared to their past (I mean, it was just three years from already then legendary SOME GIRLS). Now it is like The Last Masterpiece, and anything they have done ever since pales in comparision with a huge margin.

- Doxa

That's how I feel about B2B minus MAWGJ

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 1, 2022 03:59

VoodooLounge13
Doxa
Barkerboy2

- Doxa

That's how I feel about B2B minus MAWGJ

to be fair they haven't done much since b2b to pale in comparision to

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-01 04:06 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: April 1, 2022 06:00

True!

Date: April 1, 2022 19:37

But it was friggin' Brilliant!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 2, 2022 05:23

Doxa
Barkerboy2

- Doxa

Are you including live albums and compilations in your "about every year" observation of The Rolling Stones and Twins in the 1980s or just studio?

Depending on your own technical aspect of numbers and years, since decades end on a zero, the Stones only released 4 albums in the 1980s, 5 if you cheat and count 1980.

Even with 1980 being 5 Stones albums, and 3 between Mick and Keith, alright, that's "about every year"!

Studio, solo, live and compilations starting with 1980

Emotional Rescue
Sucking In The Seventies
Tattoo You
Still Life
Undercover
Rewind
She's The Boss
Dirty Work
Primitive Cool
Talk Is Cheap
Steel Wheels

Quite a busy 10 years release wise from 1980-1989 overall.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 2, 2022 05:47

Whatever you want to call different eras, you can tell we're winding down. Time, energy, the marketplace, for whatever reason, they've reverted being a singles band, which is what they started as. It used to be because you had to keep in the spotlight, and money was made. Touring was a money losing promotional tool. Now it's flipped. Stones singles are parceled out sparingly, usually right before a new tour to have something, anything new to add to the worn out warhorses. Then they've forgotten, usually by the mid point of the tour, and never heard again.

I would find it strange to have not been turned on the Stones in the 90s. Do you hear Lady Jane and think, "Hey, they stole that from New Faces?" I think it would interesting to hear the Stones from a 90s newbie standpoint. Then discover through their different eras, blues cover band, singles artists, psychedelic wizards, harder edged rock and rollers, reggae, disco, fully mature, feasting on their past, greatest hits live band.

Date: April 2, 2022 06:07

That is basically how I came about it from 1989

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 2, 2022 08:14

GasLightStreet
Doxa
Barkerboy2

- Doxa

Are you including live albums and compilations in your "about every year" observation of The Rolling Stones and Twins in the 1980s or just studio?

Depending on your own technical aspect of numbers and years, since decades end on a zero, the Stones only released 4 albums in the 1980s, 5 if you cheat and count 1980.

Even with 1980 being 5 Stones albums, and 3 between Mick and Keith, alright, that's "about every year"!

Emotional Rescue
Sucking In The Seventies
Tattoo You
Still Life
Undercover
Rewind
She's The Boss
Dirty Work
Primitive Cool
Talk Is Cheap
Steel Wheels

i'd also add

1234 - ronnie
live at the ritz - ronnie & bo diddly
hail hail rock 'n roll - keith with berry

and from bill we have

green ice soundtrack & bill wyman

and charlie had

live at fulham town hall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-02 08:14 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: April 3, 2022 06:21

ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
Doxa
Barkerboy2

- Doxa

Emotional Rescue
Sucking In The Seventies
Tattoo You
Still Life
Undercover
Rewind
She's The Boss
Dirty Work
Primitive Cool
Talk Is Cheap
Steel Wheels

i'd also add

1234 - ronnie
live at the ritz - ronnie & bo diddly
hail hail rock 'n roll - keith with berry

and from bill we have

green ice soundtrack & bill wyman

and charlie had

live at fulham town hall

I understand. I was just going by The Glimmers.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: April 3, 2022 16:06

Hi,

After reading a interview with Keith, talking about Charlie and Steve i was wondering and maybe i am just thinking wishful, but suddenly i was thinking we might be surprised by a double CD, first one filled with the final Charlie sessions and another one with Steve on drums.
Keith said they were still thinking about the final Charlie stuff and maybe recording with Steve.

So no idea if this has been talked about over here, but how do you all think about it ?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 3, 2022 20:51

Anything's possible, but at the same time everything's doubtful.

Keith said they might think about how to finish the supposed new album when the tour is over, as in maybe they will, or maybe they won't.
And meanwhile, Mick is recording/releasing hokey and trite tunes for tv series.

Nearly 17 years since ABB................

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 3, 2022 21:19

As soon as the tour is over and they can stop worrying about questions from journalists that question the fact they’re nothing more than an oldies act, one can expect all the talk about « new material » to go the way of the dodo once again….only to be peddled out again if/when a new tour is in the cards. They’ve been doing that since 2012 with great success, why would they bother changing?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 3, 2022 22:11

rolling1us
Hi,

After reading a interview with Keith, talking about Charlie and Steve i was wondering and maybe i am just thinking wishful, but suddenly i was thinking we might be surprised by a double CD, first one filled with the final Charlie sessions and another one with Steve on drums.
Keith said they were still thinking about the final Charlie stuff and maybe recording with Steve.

So no idea if this has been talked about over here, but how do you all think about it ?

I think it's pretty obvious that Covid and Charlie's death threw the completion of the new album off the rails - otherwise 2022 would have been the year of release... It's still possible, though, but momentarily they seem to be a bit clueless what to do and how to handle the material with Charlie and Steve on drums, just as it looks like they're not exactly motivated to celebrate their 60th Anniversary without Charlie (apart from another cash-cow tour, obviously).

Meanwhile, this is the time of individual high mass for the usual naysayers here (who seemingly feel personally offended by Mick releasing a TV series tune)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-04 00:24 by retired_dog.

Date: April 4, 2022 07:03

Hairball
Anything's possible, but at the same time everything's doubtful.

Keith said they might think about how to finish the supposed new album when the tour is over, as in maybe they will, or maybe they won't.
And meanwhile, Mick is recording/releasing hokey and trite tunes for tv series.

Nearly 17 years since ABB................

Might, in its meaning, implies the opposite. It's not 'maybe they will, or maybe they won't', it's simply maybe.

Might, may, could - gives strength to (the possibility of) it will.

Might not, may not, could not - gives strength to (the possibility of) it won't.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 4, 2022 09:56

Next in line after the Euro tour would probably be a Japan/Australia tour. So a new album? Maybe in 2023 then. If ever.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 4, 2022 10:35

retired_dog
rolling1us
Hi,

I think it's pretty obvious that Covid and Charlie's death threw the completion of the new album off the rails - otherwise 2022 would have been the year of release... It's still possible, though, but momentarily they seem to be a bit clueless what to do and how to handle the material with Charlie and Steve on drums, just as it looks like they're not exactly motivated to celebrate their 60th Anniversary without Charlie (apart from another cash-cow tour, obviously).

Meanwhile, this is the time of individual high mass for the usual naysayers here (who seemingly feel personally offended by Mick releasing a TV series tune)...

I think you are right about the 60th Anniversary. Surely people love anniversaries and all that extra fiesta, but after passing of Charlie probably they don't feel that cheerful. Probably releasing a new album had fitted very well, but that didn't or likely will not happen.

That said, I think altogether expecting the Stones to make their 60th anniversary such a big thing than of their golden Anniversary might be based on wrong premises. As a band they are in an altogether different position than 10 years ago. Then the biggest concern - despite all the vaults material, films, books and whatever - was if the band will perform live again. That was something people were waiting for (and about on every interview that was the thing asked from all of them). Now people do not seem to worry about, it is taken as granted - just 'another cash-cow tour' as you put it. It even looks like that having the Stones on stage is not enough or is just boring - they want something 'extra' to entertain them (a totally new set list, Royal Albert Hall, some ex-members on stage, etc.). However, the Stones seem to think that it is business as normal, and that's it.

How did they celebrated their big anniversies in the past?

1972: EXILE and American tour (business as normal).
1982: STILL LIFE and European tour. Business as normal, although they gave some interviews to tv shows to celebrate their 20 years of existence.
1992: Nothing (if we don't count almost all of them making solo albums). However, they sort of had celebrated their 25th Anniversary in 1989 (with 25x5, although seemingly they didn't mind too much about maths or dates).
2002: FORTY LICKS and first tour since 1975 (although IORR wasn't that old yet) to tour without a new studio album. A new 'underwear' concept in touring with setlists looking back with no shame.
2012: GRRR, CROSSFIRE HURRICANE and all that stuff, plus a few shows with Taylor and Wyman. Pure nostalgia with no shame.
2022: Some extra releases and a European Tour called SIXTY (just another leg of 50 YEARS AND COUNTING really). Business less or more like normal.

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-04 10:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 4, 2022 19:39

GasLightStreet
Might, in its meaning, implies the opposite. It's not 'maybe they will, or maybe they won't', it's simply maybe.

Might not, may not, could not - gives strength to (the possibility of) it won't.

You will, but you won't.

Date: April 4, 2022 19:48

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

You will, but you won't.

That's runnin' too deep, man.

Date: April 4, 2022 20:02

Maybe... the cover will be what the picture is on Charlie's t-shirt on GET YER YA-YA'S.

Date: April 4, 2022 20:32

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

You will, but you won't.

That's runnin' too deep, man.

It's an Illusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-04 20:33 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: April 4, 2022 22:17

I am revisiting voodoo brew and stew
I have revisit under my thumb book
I think it very difficult to produce
An cd for the stones
I would think it would be easier at this point.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 4, 2022 23:15

Stoneage
Next in line after the Euro tour would probably be a Japan/Australia tour. So a new album? Maybe in 2023 then. If ever.

But then there's also the possibility of a South American tour, so maybe a new album in 2024...if ever.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 5, 2022 03:50

I imagine when they finally hang it up we might get some interesting material. I want to know if the Wyman/Taylor rehearsals were recorded. And if they fooled around on some rarities, or some old blues songs.

Date: April 5, 2022 08:35

Wyman rehearsals?

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: April 5, 2022 08:40

December 2011...3 days

Date: April 5, 2022 09:00

mailexile67
December 2011...3 days

A year before the gig? In 2011 there were band rehearsals (in London and NYC?). Was Bill really there? He wasn't there in London, neither was Mick, allegedly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-05 12:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: April 5, 2022 12:03

Bill was in a London studio in December 2011 with the other Stones and with Mick Taylor and Ben Waters.Mick arrived the second day or the last I don't remember, but I don't know if rehearsals has been recorded

Date: April 5, 2022 14:18

mailexile67
Bill was in a London studio in December 2011 with the other Stones and with Mick Taylor and Ben Waters.Mick arrived the second day or the last I don't remember, but I don't know if rehearsals has been recorded

Ah, I was thinking of the tour rehearsals in 2012. The jam sessions in 2011 (initiated by Keith) was merely to touch base etc. And, you're right, Mick attended eventually - Bill, too.

There was a rumour that Bill attended the rehearsals in 2012, too, but that has not been confirmed, I think..

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 5, 2022 15:07

Doxa
retired_dog
rolling1us
Hi,

I think you are right about the 60th Anniversary. Surely people love anniversaries and all that extra fiesta, but after passing of Charlie probably they don't feel that cheerful. Probably releasing a new album had fitted very well, but that didn't or likely will not happen.

That said, I think altogether expecting the Stones to make their 60th anniversary such a big thing than of their golden Anniversary might be based on wrong premises. As a band they are in an altogether different position than 10 years ago. Then the biggest concern - despite all the vaults material, films, books and whatever - was if the band will perform live again. That was something people were waiting for (and about on every interview that was the thing asked from all of them). Now people do not seem to worry about, it is taken as granted - just 'another cash-cow tour' as you put it. It even looks like that having the Stones on stage is not enough or is just boring - they want something 'extra' to entertain them (a totally new set list, Royal Albert Hall, some ex-members on stage, etc.). However, the Stones seem to think that it is business as normal, and that's it.

How did they celebrated their big anniversies in the past?

1972: EXILE and American tour (business as normal).
1982: STILL LIFE and European tour. Business as normal, although they gave some interviews to tv shows to celebrate their 20 years of existence.
1992: Nothing (if we don't count almost all of them making solo albums). However, they sort of had celebrated their 25th Anniversary in 1989 (with 25x5, although seemingly they didn't mind too much about maths or dates).
2002: FORTY LICKS and first tour since 1975 (although IORR wasn't that old yet) to tour without a new studio album. A new 'underwear' concept in touring with setlists looking back with no shame.
2012: GRRR, CROSSFIRE HURRICANE and all that stuff, plus a few shows with Taylor and Wyman. Pure nostalgia with no shame.
2022: Some extra releases and a European Tour called SIXTY (just another leg of 50 YEARS AND COUNTING really). Business less or more like normal.

- Doxa

There I have my doubts. It may haved turned out like this in the end, but I am pretty sure that with Charlie still on board, things most likely would look quite different now. But there's not only the emotional aspect of 60 years together as a band, for them as professional musicians they are also aware of the enormous commercial potential of such an event, in particular respecting the otherwise sad state of the music business in general and for "old" acts like them in particular - timing is more important than ever if you want to sell your goods in satisfying quantities.

As it looks (and sounds, see Mick's recent interview) so far, their motivation to make the most out of this "perfect opportunity" seems to be gone with Charlie. So far, we have El Mocambo from the vaults and a tour that most likely won't be all too different to all the other tours since 2012 and, apart from a new drummer, yes, business as usual since then - just labelled "Sixty".

...and while the release of El Mocambo is everything else than "boring" for me, I can't and won't hide my disappointment if release-wise, things will stay like this!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...511512513514515516517518519520521...LastNext
Current Page: 516 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home