Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...508509510511512513514515516517518...LastNext
Current Page: 513 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: March 22, 2022 12:42

AGAIN ? No please , just new songs

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 22, 2022 14:19

MAYO
AGAIN ? No please , just new songs

YESSS!!! I totally agree...

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 22, 2022 16:54

From Brian Hiatt's Rolling Stone Music Now podcast:

When I spoke to you and Mick and Ron in 2016 for the last cover story we did on the Rolling Stones, there was a studio album of brand-new songs underway in addition to Blue & Lonesome, which was the blues covers album that you put out back then. So what is the status of that new album? And, you know, without rudely asking why is it taking so long? I guess the question is, as nicely as possible, why does it take so long?
Well, as far as status goes, I can’t really report anything. But look, really all I want you guys to know is that it’s now … what is it I want you guys to know? I mean, I just love working. If I can’t work with one lot, I’ll work with the other.

There was a report that Charlie basically recorded his parts for whatever the next album is. And, I mean, is that true? Did Charlie actually finish recording drums for the next album?
No, it’s not true at all. Yeah. I mean, Charlie Watts was playing along. He did some stuff with Mick, and we already have quite a lot of stuff in the can with Charlie from last year. But Charlie Watts certainly wasn’t in the mind of “I’m going to record things because I’m not going to be here.” He isn’t that kind of guy. And he didn’t think like that. Charlie would work if somebody said, “Hey, I’ve got a couple of songs, drop by and play,” and that’s the way he was. We do have a lot of stuff of Charlie Watt’s still in the can, because we were halfway through making an album when he died, but you know, goddamn, I loved that man.

I guess it was never a question that if you’re going to finish the Stones’ album, then Steve will have to play on some of the stuff. Is that the idea?
Yeah. I guess, I mean, this is one of the things that we are going to be having to sort out this year. So, of course, I mean, if we want to carry on recording, then we are going to need drums and it’s going to Steve Jordan. Which for me in the beginning of the tour, a few months ago, I was saying, “Oh no, I cannot do this without Charlie.” But except Charlie saying to me, “Listen, Keith, you can do it with Steve. You’ve done it many times. You know he can take my seat any time, you know it.” And he talks me into it. And not because I … because I knew Steve could do it. You just wonder how the thing’s going to all coalesce. I was beautifully amazed by how everything fell into place. And I’m looking forward to doing some more with that lot.

Of course, it couldn’t feel exactly the same.
No, of course not. It felt like new blood, fresh blood, in there, and it felt very energetic. At the same time, Steve and I, and Steve was watching himself, saying “I don’t want to over do it, go this way or that.” But he has a feel for the way Charlie Watts plays that makes it very, very easy for us to continue without going through incredible convolutions to it. Steve’s a consummate pro and a great lover of Charlie Watts’ style. I was amazed sometimes watching him, saying “I could do it like Charlie, or do you want me to?” “I’ll leave it to you, Steve, like I would if it was Charlie sitting there, I’d leave it to Charlie. And now you’re sitting there, and I’ll leave it to you, Steve.” But we had a great time on the tour, and I see no reason why we shouldn’t continue into this year.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 22, 2022 17:32

bye bye johnny

When I spoke to you and Mick and Ron in 2016 for the last cover story we did on the Rolling Stones, there was a studio album of brand-new songs underway in addition to Blue & Lonesome, which was the blues covers album that you put out back then. So what is the status of that new album? And, you know, without rudely asking why is it taking so long? I guess the question is, as nicely as possible, why does it take so long?
Well, as far as status goes, I can’t really report anything. But look, really all I want you guys to know is that it’s now … what is it I want you guys to know? I mean, I just love working. If I can’t work with one lot, I’ll work with the other.

There was a report that Charlie basically recorded his parts for whatever the next album is. And, I mean, is that true? Did Charlie actually finish recording drums for the next album?
No, it’s not true at all. Yeah. I mean, Charlie Watts was playing along. He did some stuff with Mick, and we already have quite a lot of stuff in the can with Charlie from last year. But Charlie Watts certainly wasn’t in the mind of “I’m going to record things because I’m not going to be here.” He isn’t that kind of guy. And he didn’t think like that. Charlie would work if somebody said, “Hey, I’ve got a couple of songs, drop by and play,” and that’s the way he was. We do have a lot of stuff of Charlie Watt’s still in the can, because we were halfway through making an album when he died, but you know, goddamn, I loved that man.

I guess it was never a question that if you’re going to finish the Stones’ album, then Steve will have to play on some of the stuff. Is that the idea?
Yeah. I guess, I mean, this is one of the things that we are going to be having to sort out this year. So, of course, I mean, if we want to carry on recording, then we are going to need drums and it’s going to Steve Jordan. Which for me in the beginning of the tour, a few months ago, I was saying, “Oh no, I cannot do this without Charlie.” But except Charlie saying to me, “Listen, Keith, you can do it with Steve. You’ve done it many times. You know he can take my seat any time, you know it.” And he talks me into it. And not because I … because I knew Steve could do it. You just wonder how the thing’s going to all coalesce. I was beautifully amazed by how everything fell into place. And I’m looking forward to doing some more with that lot.

No, of course not. It felt like new blood, fresh blood, in there, and it felt very energetic. At the same time, Steve and I, and Steve was watching himself, saying “I don’t want to over do it, go this way or that.” But he has a feel for the way Charlie Watts plays that makes it very, very easy for us to continue without going through incredible convolutions to it. Steve’s a consummate pro and a great lover of Charlie Watts’ style. I was amazed sometimes watching him, saying “I could do it like Charlie, or do you want me to?” “I’ll leave it to you, Steve, like I would if it was Charlie sitting there, I’d leave it to Charlie. And now you’re sitting there, and I’ll leave it to you, Steve.” But we had a great time on the tour, and I see no reason why we shouldn’t continue into this year.

[www.rollingstone.com]

"But look, really all I want you guys to know is that it’s now … what is it I want you guys to know? I mean, I just love working. If I can’t work with one lot, I’ll work with the other"

What?!!!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 22, 2022 17:59

As always bye bye, thanks for the stuff......

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 22, 2022 20:14

KRiffhard
bye bye johnny

[www.rollingstone.com]

"But look, really all I want you guys to know is that it’s now … what is it I want you guys to know? I mean, I just love working. If I can’t work with one lot, I’ll work with the other"

What?!!!

Don't worry, you're certainly not the only one going "What?!" here. First I thought, maybe he is talking about Stones vs Winos. But maybe he is talking about one vs another lot of songs? (E.g. songs/recordings with Charlie vs. Steve?)
I guess there is no audio/video available of the complete interview that might disambiguate this or other statements.

Basically the core message of the interview appears to be, "Anything is possible - or not". At least he confirms that Charlie was OK with continuing with Steve Jordan (in fact, Keith puts it in a way like Charlie talked him into carrying on with Steve). And then the interview appears to confirm that - as expected - Charlie was the drummer in a number of sessions for the album but it doesn't seem to confirm that there are any finished tracks/recordings for the album with Charlie on them. It rather seems to point in a direction such that they do have a number of session recordings with Charlie but they don't know yet what (if any of it) is actually useful in the state it is in w.r.t. the drums, and in case of doubt, Steve will be the drummer if something has to be reworked.

Other than that, it all sounds a bit confused.

edit: They did post the audio but I can listen to it only later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-22 20:25 by doitywoik.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 22, 2022 21:05

Chuck weighs in on the issue :

"Since The Stones have been working on a new studio album in spurts for a few years now, I ask Leavell about the nature of those tracks. “You have to understand I haven’t been involved in all the recordings,” Leavell says, “so there’s a lot of things that I haven’t even heard that I know they’ve worked on. But what I have worked on I think is quite diverse. There’s stuff that’s rockin’ and hard-drivin’, and there’s stuff that’s ballad-like. And there’s some quirky fun ones – the Stones are always known for not being afraid to try things. My contributions have been 95 percent on the piano, which I really love doing.”"

[chuckleavell.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2022 21:18

KRiffhard
bye bye johnny

[www.rollingstone.com]

What?!!!

Yes, very confusing and you have to wonder about his grip on reality...he should have just left it at "I can’t really report anything". As it is, sounds like he's mumbling to himself...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 22, 2022 23:00

Hell, I thought they had an entire album basically sitting there, with Charlie, waiting to be mixed, etc. Sounds like they only got half an album of completable work. I think we can drop the idea of an album any time soon. They just don't care that much. There's no urgency. The only reason we got Blue and Lonesome is that it was wham bang, thank you ma'am, done and dusted.

It doesn't appear Mick or Keith have all that much interest is recording at this point. They put all their energy into touring now. Maybe we'll get a single so they'll have at least one new cut to play on the Europe Sixty Tour. Or they'll push it aside for another really old cut or two.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 23, 2022 06:45

24FPS
Hell, I thought they had an entire album basically sitting there, with Charlie, waiting to be mixed, etc. Sounds like they only got half an album of completable work. I think we can drop the idea of an album any time soon. They just don't care that much. There's no urgency. The only reason we got Blue and Lonesome is that it was wham bang, thank you ma'am, done and dusted.

It doesn't appear Mick or Keith have all that much interest is recording at this point. They put all their energy into touring now. Maybe we'll get a single so they'll have at least one new cut to play on the Europe Sixty Tour. Or they'll push it aside for another really old cut or two.

Halfway through the album doesn't strictly mean they only have recorded, what, 5 songs. They tend to record X amount of songs so they could have maybe 15 with Charlie but feel only 5 are worthwhile.

The usual.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 23, 2022 07:34

Yeah, it appears a bit like there isn't much of a plan currently behind the album enterprise.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 23, 2022 10:27

doitywoik
Basically the core message of the interview appears to be, "Anything is possible - or not".

Yep, that seems to be the bottom line. Even more if one considers the quote:

"I mean, this is one of the things that we are going to be having to sort out this year. So, of course, I mean, if we want to carry on recording, then we are going to need drums and it’s going to Steve Jordan."

Looks like they have gathered a lot of loose ends over the years, and at this very moment, there is not even a definite decision whether they "carry on recording" at all - or if they just let it be like that: unfinished loose ends.

A sad state of affairs.

If they're not even able to get their act together for their 60th Anniversary, then I really start to wonder what other incentives they could have to continue recording.

I can't imagine that many, to be honest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-23 10:28 by retired_dog.

Date: March 23, 2022 10:42

retired_dog
doitywoik
Basically the core message of the interview appears to be, "Anything is possible - or not".

"I mean, this is one of the things that we are going to be having to sort out this year. So, of course, I mean, if we want to carry on recording, then we are going to need drums and it’s going to Steve Jordan."

Looks like they have gathered a lot of loose ends over the years, and at this very moment, there is not even a definite decision whether they "carry on recording" at all - or if they just let it be like that: unfinished loose ends.

A sad state of affairs.

If they're not even able to get their act together for their 60th Anniversary, then I really start to wonder what other incentives they could have to continue recording.

Not necessarily, imo. Keith's vagueness might also mean that they did well in Jamaica ("prolific sessions", according to the same Keith), and that they (for the first time) don't want to reveal anything because they are closer to release.

Or it might be wishful thinking on my part smiling smiley

Date: March 23, 2022 11:42

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
doitywoik

A sad state of affairs.

Not necessarily, imo. Keith's vagueness might also mean that they did well in Jamaica ("prolific sessions", according to the same Keith), and that they (for the first time) don't want to reveal anything because they are closer to release.

Or it might be wishful thinking on my part smiling smiley

I think that Keith does sound everything else than "vague" here, in particular the quotes I mentioned are pretty clear imo, but sincerely hope and keep my fingers crossed that you are right, Dandy!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 23, 2022 13:06

Don Was (July 2019):

We probably have 40 (tracks), and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined. Right now it can go any way. There's some really good stuff in there, and there's a sense that making a good album is not good enough, it's got to be great.

It looks like the criterion for greatness was a hard one. Not many was selected for finishing stage it seems. (Don is echoing the words of Mick about the great vs. good, and that's not accidental I suppose).

- Doxa

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 23, 2022 13:08

I've just listened to this podcast and first of all, it sounds like it was edited A LOT. Maybe some quotes about the new album (now and in previous interviews) were kinda out of context. Mick and Charlie recorded stuff Keith says. But that doesn't automatically mean that they were working new songs. They could have worked on Tattoo You deluxe tracks for example.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 23, 2022 14:14

way too early for a new album – this thread is just 513 pages long…

Date: March 23, 2022 14:21

slewan

You mean it's in our hands? Like 1000 pages and there it is - the new album?

Posted by: bam ()
Date: March 23, 2022 18:57

If you are halfway to an album, and then go halfway again, and halfway again, do you ever reach the end of the road and release a finished album? confused smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 23, 2022 19:46

Or is there an infinite halfway point? Keep cutting the distance in half, but never getting to the end type thing........ smoking smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 23, 2022 20:11

VoodooLounge13
Or is there an infinite halfway point? Keep cutting the distance in half, but never getting to the end type thing........ smoking smiley

print an Escher's picture on the sleeve and release a single-sided EP "A Wall of Hits"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 23, 2022 20:14

maumau
VoodooLounge13

print an Escher's picture on the sleeve and release a single-sided EP "A Wall of Hits"

England's Oldest Wall Hitters

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 23, 2022 20:18

For the past 13 years, Mick has been regularly going back and finishing unfinished Stones material for reissue. Maybe he's approaching the "new" studio album the same way.

Date: March 23, 2022 20:30

retired_dog
slewan

If it in the end is up to us? The guys having on eye on this thread, and have made a secret deal that, say, after 1000 pages of first-class IORR bullshitting, they will release the new album. If they see that things are getting too slow here, and they feel like not waiting for ever, they give us a small hint again, and oh la la, there is 50 pages in a few days easily...

But let's say Keef's latest 'report' of how the album is doing is quite cryptic, to put it mildly (and he didn't even try to answer to a simple question why it has taken so long.. kudos for ROLLING STONE for daring to ask that)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-23 20:36 by Doxa.

Date: March 23, 2022 20:31

Rocky Dijon
For the past 13 years, Mick has been regularly going back and finishing unfinished Stones material for reissue. Maybe he's approaching the "new" studio album the same way.

Maybe, yes. However, for this approach you need at least a certain structure that resembles a song. Hope that this is the case because turning "three dynamite riffs" into releasable songs could be a bit more difficult!

Posted by: pichenot ()
Date: March 23, 2022 20:32

To save time with the next record and his futur rerelease, he could directly release the deluxe edition with outtakes from this next new studio album.

Date: March 23, 2022 20:41

Doxa
retired_dog
slewan

If it in the end is up to us? The guys having on eye on this thread, and have made a secret deal that, say, after 1000 pages of first-class IORR bullshitting, they will release the new album. If they see that things are getting too slow here, they give us a small hint again, and oh la la, there is 50 pages in a few days easily...

But let's say Keef's latest 'report' of how the album is doing is quite cryptic, to put it mildly (and he didn't even try to answer to a simple question why it has taken so long.. kudos for ROLLING STONE for daring to ask that)

- Doxa

OK, 487 more pages is a LOT of work, but if you and other first-class IORR bullshitters join me, I'll scrap my vacation and Stones shows this summer and write 'til my fingers and keyboard start to glow...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-23 20:42 by retired_dog.

Date: March 23, 2022 20:51

retired_dog
Doxa
retired_dog
slewan

If it in the end is up to us? The guys having on eye on this thread, and have made a secret deal that, say, after 1000 pages of first-class IORR bullshitting, they will release the new album. If they see that things are getting too slow here, they give us a small hint again, and oh la la, there is 50 pages in a few days easily...

- Doxa

OK, 487 more pages is a LOT of work, but if you and other first-class IORR bullshitters join me, I'll scrap my vacation and Stones shows this summer and write 'til my fingers and keyboard start to glow...

Look, I am already doing my best here. But one can always do better, they say... let's keep up the good work! Like Keef, we' love working', don't we? Mick put it it best in his classic 80's hit single, but I won't repeat the imperative here.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-23 20:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 23, 2022 21:47

Doxa
retired_dog
Doxa
retired_dog
slewan

- Doxa

Look, I am already doing my best here. But one can always do better, they say... let's keep up the good work! Like Keef, we' love working', don't we? Mick put it it best in his classic 80's hit single, but I won't repeat the imperative here.

- Doxa

I think we should all, "be proud" at our efforts over the years on this thread.

Date: March 23, 2022 22:53

treaclefingers
Doxa
retired_dog
Doxa
retired_dog
slewan

- Doxa

- Doxa

I think we should all, "be proud" at our efforts over the years on this thread.

Wouldn't it be cool if the band acknowlegdes our combined effort in the credits of the new album like

"Many sincere and heartfelt thanks to the First Class IORR Bullshitter's Club for reawakening our spirit to finish this album. Without their combined effort, this project would not have been possible."

Would feel a bit like being knighted...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...508509510511512513514515516517518...LastNext
Current Page: 513 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home