Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...506507508509510511512513514515516...LastNext
Current Page: 511 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 16, 2022 20:35

"If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band.
I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits".

- Mick Jagger, 2005

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: March 16, 2022 20:38

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 16, 2022 21:10

KRiffhard
[www.list.co.uk]

Tyrone Wood said: "I've heard snippets of the album, yes, it's amazing. It's different - I can't say different how, cause I wouldn't want to ruin it - but it's good."

"It was just before Christmas that we started doing a new album. Then we went and did shows in South America, so we're still very much on. I can't say much but there are a lot of different things on this album" MJ

"That’s in the can – although it might be a surprise to people, and I can’t say any more than that right now" KR

It seems to me that in 2016 this new album was basically ready.
Then who knows what happened.

so they completed and shelved an album in 2016 before starting from scratch in 2019?

so your telling me there last album with charlie was shelved?

mick just release that and keep working your "great" album

we don't care if its dirty work volume 2 at this point just gives us something until you finish the other album

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 16, 2022 21:38

'Asked how many new tracks emerged from the sessions, the guitarist replied: “More than I can count – it was a very productive week.”'

Hmm, they don't say how far he can count, so ... winking smiley

Anyway, it seems something's happening in terms of the album and that ain't bad, no?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 16, 2022 21:50

Keith Richards has been "playing a lot of bass" on new Rolling Stones tracks

His switch in instrument added a "new angle" to the legendary band's sound, according to the musician

NME · by Tom Skinner · 16th March 2022

Keith Richards has revealed that he’s been “playing a lot of bass” on The Rolling Stones‘ upcoming new material. Speaking to the Daily Star newspaper’s ‘Wired’ column (via Music-News.com), the musician spoke about spending a week in Jamaica to work on music with Stones frontman Mick Jagger.

Richards told the newspaper that him picking up the bass guitar provided “another angle” to the legendary band’s sound. “It’s quite interesting – at the same time it’s Stones man,” he said.

Asked how many new tracks emerged from the sessions, the guitarist replied: “More than I can count – it was a very productive week.” Richards went on to say that he and Jagger “got a very good sound going”, adding: “Jamaica is good for sound.”

Elsewhere, he told the Daily Star that the Rolling Stones are currently “gearing up” for their recently-announced UK and European 60th anniversary tour, which takes place this summer. “Once a year I like to keep my hand in – there’s nothing like playing on stage,” Richards said of his desire to head back out on the road.

The forthcoming tracks will serve as the first new music from the Stones since the death of their drummer Charlie Watts last summer. Steve Jordan, who initially stepped in so that Watts could recover from surgery, is now the group’s permanent touring drummer. Richards previously revealed that Jordan had worked with him and Jagger on “eight or nine new pieces of material”, explaining: “It’ll be interesting to find out the dynamics now that Steve’s in the band.”

The Rolling Stone’s most recent album of original new material, ‘A Bigger Bang’, came out in 2005. Over a decade later in 2016, the band released their ‘Blue & Lonesome’ covers record. Tickets for The Rolling Stones’ 2022 UK concerts go on general sale at 10am GMT this Friday (March 18) and will be available to buy here. Visit here for other on-sale dates and details - [www.NME.com] .

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 16, 2022 22:11

Hairball
"If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band.
I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits".

- Mick Jagger, 2005

That was then, this is now. So what?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 16, 2022 22:13

Dunno about that purported Daily Star interview. Can't find it on the website, and while Keith is making the rounds to plug the "Main Offender" reissue, not sure that fishwrap is part of the tour.

Date: March 16, 2022 22:15

From [www.RollingStone.de] :

Keith Richards played a lot of bass for new Stones songs

Editors · 16.03.2022

The Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards and frontman Mick Jagger recently announced that they were working on new material for the band. Now Richards has revealed that he played a lot of bass on the new songs.

A week in Jamaica had been so good for their songwriting that Richards isn't even sure how many songs were even written during the trip: "More than I can count, it was a productive week," said the band's guitarist - and, as of late, bassist.

Richard's switch to bass gave the Rolling Stones' sound "another side". He himself was very positive about it and reported that the material sounded "quite interesting and at the same time typical Stones".

Jamaica as inspiration for the Rolling Stones

The two 78-year-olds have since agreed that Jamaica is "good for the sound". The Stones' album "Goat Head Soup", which the band recorded on the Caribbean island between 1972 and 1973, also speaks for this.

The guitarist also told the Daily Star that he was looking forward to finally going on a European tour soon. "It has to be once a year - there's just nothing that comes close to that feeling of being on stage," Richards said.

Steve Jordan, who will join the tour on drums following the death of drummer Charlie Watts, has also contributed to the band's new material. Richards revealed that it was eight or nine tracks that were created together with Jordan. "The new dynamics created by Steve's addition are going to be exciting," he said. The tempo of the trio's songwriting was already "overwhelming": otherwise it wouldn't happen so quickly, he said.

[www.RollingStone.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-16 23:20 by Irix.

Date: March 16, 2022 22:16

Keith on bass, Mick on guitar - looks like an early songwriting/demo session for the next album after the new album...

Date: March 16, 2022 22:25

From [VirginRadio.co.uk] :

Keith Richards has been "playing a lot of bass" for new Rolling Stones music

Virgin Radio · 16 Mar 2022 · 14:10

Guitarist and occasional bassist for The Rolling Stones, Keith Richards says he has been playing bass a lot more on the new tunes.

The iconic musician says he spent a week in Jamaica with frontman Sir Mick Jagger working on new music. He said playing bass added "another angle" to their music. Richards told the Daily Star: "I was in Jamaica with Mick (Jagger).

"We were spending a week together putting material together and hanging around. Asked how many new songs there are, he replied: "More than I can count - it was a very productive week. "We had a setup there, bass, drums, and we got a very good sound going. "Jamaica is good for sound."

He insists they haven't strayed too far from their famous sound though: "It's quite interesting - at the same time it's Stones man. "It was great fun and we are gearing up for Europe shortly. "Once a year I like to keep my hand in - there's nothing like playing on stage."

The new music will be the first since their drummer Charlie Watts died. The band have been recording with touring drummer Steve Jordan. Richards said: “It’ll be interesting to find out the dynamics now that Steve’s in the band. “It’s sort of metamorphosing into something else. I was working with Mick last week, and Steve, and we came up with some, eight or nine new pieces of material. Which is overwhelming by our standards. Other times, [songwriting is] like a desert.”

He also told Rolling Stone UK that he sees no reason for the band to stop: "I see no reason to quit at the moment. Look, you just can’t quit the Rolling Stones!” The band have also announced dates for their 60th anniversary European and UK tour.

[VirginRadio.co.uk] · [www.Music-News.com]

Date: March 16, 2022 22:33

While that Daily Star "interview" has been cited on several websites, none of them have included an actual link to it.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 16, 2022 22:44

Irix
From [www.RollingStone.de] :

Keith Richards played a lot of bass for new Stones songs

Editors · 16.03.2022

The Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards and frontman Mick Jagger recently announced that they were working on new material for the band. Now Richards has revealed that he played a lot of bass on the new songs.

A week in Jamaica had been so good for their songwriting that Richards isn't even sure how many songs were even written during the trip: "More than I can count, it was a productive week," said the band's guitarist - and, as of late, bassist.

Richard's switch to bass gave the Rolling Stones' sound "another side". He himself was very positive about it and reported that the material sounded "quite interesting and at the same time typical Stones".

Jamaica as inspiration for the Rolling Stones

The two 78-year-olds have since agreed that Jamaica is "good for the sound". The Stones' album "Goat Head Soup", which the band recorded on the Caribbean island between 1972 and 1973, also speaks for this.

The guitarist also told the Daily Star that he was looking forward to finally going on a European tour soon. "It has to be once a year - there's just nothing that comes close to that feeling of being on stage," Richards said.

Steve Jordan, who will join the tour on drums following the death of drummer Charlie Watts, has also contributed to the band's new material. Richards revealed that it was eight or nine tracks that were co-written with Jordan. "The new dynamics created by Steve's addition are going to be exciting," he said. The tempo of the trio's songwriting was already "overwhelming": otherwise it wouldn't happen so quickly, he said.

[www.RollingStone.de]

co-written with Jordan?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 16, 2022 22:50

Basically they could have arranged a "new" album with their worked up Tattoo You demos and some real new somgs, Troubles a’ Comin’ sounds like a new song, I think Mick even sings about selling stuff on ebay on one of those 'old' songs, who cares right, only the fans know it's old, it would be hyped more as a new album than some lost & found rarities disk, and it would make the Stones look like a productive band, when in fact it's mostly just Mick working on old demos.

Date: March 16, 2022 23:20

ProfessorWolf

co-written with Jordan?

Stupid Artificial Intelligence of Translator DeepL.com:

"Richards gab bekannt, dass es sich um acht oder neun Tracks handle, die zusammen mit Jordan entstanden sind." - "Richards revealed that there were eight or nine tracks that were created together with Jordan."

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 17, 2022 00:10

retired_dog
Keith on bass, Mick on guitar - looks like an early songwriting/demo session for the next album after the new album...

Hehe, so there's the new album, the shelved album before the new album, and then the album after the new album ... sounds like an interesting agenda ... (or inter-resting?) cool smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 17, 2022 00:43

That 2016 album was great. Their best since Exile.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 17, 2022 01:01

cul de sac
established in 2005

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 17, 2022 02:01

Rocky Dijon
GerardHennessy
Why is expecting transparency ridiculous? That is a really unnecessary put-down of a fellow Stones fan.

My remark above has nothing to do with my fellow Stones fans and everything to do with the band and the media. You weren't targeted. It was about an attitude a great many people here express. That fact that I don't agree in this instance doesn't make it a put-down or make me right and someone else wrong. It means I have a different opinion. If you agree, great. If you don't, that's fine, too. It was meant as a different point of view, not a condemnation or ruling.

A fair and balanced answer. My apologies for misinterpreting what you wrote. And I totally agree that difference does not have to mean any condemnation.

Thank you for your clarification

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 17, 2022 02:18

HotStuff92
I can't understand the need to be so overly critical of a 60-year old band of 80-year old men not being as productive as they once were. They were at a respectable retirement age when they released (and toured behind) A Bigger Bang, and yet they still continue to at least tour and put out a very occasional single every once in awhile. They don't owe anyone anything, and if they are more interested in touring and celebrating their legacy in what is clearly the twilight of their career, they've more than earned the right to do so.

It's no secret that Mick and Keith don't see eye-to-eye on a creative level, and haven't for a very long time. I suspect there can still be quite a bit of tension, which was more than implied by the "hitting a wall" quote from a few years back. I can certainly understand wanting to avoid that kind of stress, especially at this point in their lives, which is why I feel comparisons to other more productive artists from their era to be faulty. A new Rolling Stones album is not the same as a new album by Neil Young, McCartney, Dylan, etc. I find it unlikely that anyone recording with these artists are going to have any opposition to the songs being recorded. Meanwhile with the Stones, if Mick has a new song idea that Keith doesn't like, it's unlikely to go anywhere (and vice-versa).

Not to mention, a new Rolling Stones album is not going to be a very big deal in the grand scheme of things. They are not culturally relevant, and that applies to all artists from the classic rock era, even the highly prolific ones like Neil Young. Only die-hards and maybe general classic rock fans will take notice of a new release by a legacy artist. As far as relatively recent releases by legacy artists go, I feel Dylan's Rough And Rowdy Ways and Springsteen's Western Stars are about the only albums that can hold any candle to their classic material. But these albums only cater to a diminishing audience of already established fans; if any new or younger fans want to look into these artists, they are more likely to check out Blonde On Blonde or Born to Run on Spotify (or a greatest hits playlist) than seek out the newer material. And while the argument certainly exists that the Stones are artists, and they should create for the sake of it, regardless of how much it will sell...I think you'd have to be pretty delusional to think this isn't a contributing factor to why new music isn't their top priority. Regardless of how good (or bad) a new album could be, it won't add (or detract) from their legacy in the slightest.

All that being said, I definitely understand the frustration of being dragged along for a few years now, regarding new material. But most complaints and criticisms just seem silly and unfounded to me. Plus I have a suspicion that many of the people who are so worked up about the lack of new music, likely also think the Stones haven't put out a good album since Tattoo You. And when/if a new album finally gets released these people are inevitably going to hate it anyway...

Well, I certainly am NOT one of those who think The Stones have done nothing good, album-wise, since Tattoo You. While some albums have not been as good as others, every one of them has had at least 2-3 good tracks that I go back to again and again. And a number have been way better than that. I really like Blue & Lonesome, A Bigger Bang and Bridges to Babylon. Steel Wheels has its moments, Voodoo Lounge likewise. And Dirty Work is my secret guilty pleasure.

I have never been critical of the band for not bringing out a new album. You are quite right. It probably would not sell especially well, would be criticised and condescended to in the press, and may well be far more bother than its worth to the band themselves. My moan, and its a small one in truth, is that I wish they would stop hinting and insinuating that a new album is on the way.

Call me old. Call me foolish. Call me idiotic. But I get excited, despite my best efforts, when I keep hearing snippets, and whispers about something stirring out there. If it is not going to happen, then just put those of us who care out of our misery. And in my case, get back to my vast collection of Stones recordings, official and unofficial, and stop daydreaming about one last, glorious hurrah!

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: March 17, 2022 03:24

GerardHennessy
Well, I certainly am NOT one of those who think The Stones have done nothing good, album-wise, since Tattoo You. While some albums have not been as good as others, every one of them has had at least 2-3 good tracks that I go back to again and again. And a number have been way better than that. I really like Blue & Lonesome, A Bigger Bang and Bridges to Babylon. Steel Wheels has its moments, Voodoo Lounge likewise. And Dirty Work is my secret guilty pleasure.

I have never been critical of the band for not bringing out a new album. You are quite right. It probably would not sell especially well, would be criticised and condescended to in the press, and may well be far more bother than its worth to the band themselves. My moan, and its a small one in truth, is that I wish they would stop hinting and insinuating that a new album is on the way.

Call me old. Call me foolish. Call me idiotic. But I get excited, despite my best efforts, when I keep hearing snippets, and whispers about something stirring out there. If it is not going to happen, then just put those of us who care out of our misery. And in my case, get back to my vast collection of Stones recordings, official and unofficial, and stop daydreaming about one last, glorious hurrah!

I think you and I are largely on the same page. Personally, I'm a big fan of their post-Dirty Work albums, and find this period of their studio work to be largely underrated and overlooked. Maybe I'm more lenient than most on this period because I'm a relatively younger fan than many here; I'm 29 and didn't grow up in the 60s and 70s when the band was in their prime. I had almost their entire catalog available to listen to by the time I discovered them, so I didn't have the same standards as those who got every album and single as they were released (and compared them to the genius that came before, instead of judging them on their own merits).

I say all this because, in spite of my previous post, I would love to have a new Stones album more than anything! And I truly believe that a new album will definitely come eventually; it may not be this year, or next year, but I don't think all these sessions over the last decade or so will be for nothing. But the point of my previous post was that, despite how much I want a new album myself, I won't be disappointed if the album never actually materializes. I can understand why the album is taking so long and don't feel the band owes me anything. I just find many of the complaints and criticisms to be tiresome, especially when there are a myriad of reasons for why it hasn't happened yet.

But I absolutely agree with the bolded statement. I agree that they should refrain from hinting at it until it's near completion; though I suppose more often than not it's usually as a result of being explicitly asked about it in interviews, so I guess that's what they're going to say if they've actually been in the studio...

Posted by: rollingloc ()
Date: March 17, 2022 10:11

24FPS
That 2016 album was great. Their best since Exile.

LOL

Date: March 17, 2022 10:41

doitywoik
retired_dog

Hehe, so there's the new album, the shelved album before the new album, and then the album after the new album ... sounds like an interesting agenda ... (or inter-resting?) cool smiley

I count three albums then, let's just hope that they're not doing this to generate income for the time when they won't be able to tour anymore, or, even worse, for their heirs!

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 17, 2022 18:38

No mention of Don Was - thank god. Maybe Steve Jordan can do what Ronnie did on Some girls!! Steve did co-write and produce a couple of Robert Cray albums, with Cray saying Steve made him work hard to produce great songs.

Now I'm expecting Talk is Cheap 2 with MJ on Lead vocals

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 17, 2022 21:19

Don Was is still the principal producer. I would suggest the material will be closer to CROSSEYED HEART than TALK IS CHEAP, but that's doing a disservice to Mick. Of course, many people have been trained to either blame Mick for songs they don't like or fail to credit him for his contribution.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 17, 2022 22:16

ukcal
No mention of Don Was - thank god. Maybe Steve Jordan can do what Ronnie did on Some girls!! Steve did co-write and produce a couple of Robert Cray albums, with Cray saying Steve made him work hard to produce great songs.

Now I'm expecting Talk is Cheap 2 with MJ on Lead vocals

thumbs up
Fingers crossed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-17 22:17 by KRiffhard.

Date: March 18, 2022 00:39

Exclusive: Stones Plan to Record With New Drummer Steve Jordan

Keith Richards talks about the making of his newly reissued solo classic ‘Main Offender’ and much more on Rolling Stone Music Now

By Brian Hiatt
March 17, 2022

Richards reveals that reports of Charlie Watts finishing work on the Stones’ long-in-the-works next studio album before his death are false — and that they plan to finish the album with Watts’ replacement, Steve Jordan. “We do have a lot of stuff of Charlie Watts still in the can,” he says. “We were halfway through making an album when he died… Of course, if we want to carry on recording, we’re gonna need drums, and it’s gonna be Steve Jordan.”

[www.rollingstone.com]

--

Full podcast > [cms.megaphone.fm]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 18, 2022 00:45

Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy was made pretty quick if you compare it with the new Stones album.. it only took 8 years 1998–2007

Date: March 18, 2022 00:55

bye bye johnny

Exclusive by the Rolling Stone ? From [VirginRadio.co.uk] , [www.Music-News.com] - 16-Mar-2022 - [iorr.org] :

"The band have been recording with touring drummer Steve Jordan. Richards said: It’ll be interesting to find out the dynamics now that Steve’s in the band. It’s sort of metamorphosing into something else. I was working with Mick last week, and Steve, and we came up with some, eight or nine new pieces of material."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2022 01:16

Thanks for the full podcast bye bye johnny - nice to know Keith and Paul McCartney remain very close friends.
Wonder if anything will ever happen with the song the two of them wrote about ten years ago...would love to hear a finished version some day...The Macca/Richards band...

Date: March 18, 2022 01:20

Irix
bye bye johnny

Exclusive by the Rolling Stone ? From [VirginRadio.co.uk] , [www.Music-News.com] - 16-Mar-2022 - [iorr.org] :

"The band have been recording with touring drummer Steve Jordan. Richards said: It’ll be interesting to find out the dynamics now that Steve’s in the band. It’s sort of metamorphosing into something else. I was working with Mick last week, and Steve, and we came up with some, eight or nine new pieces of material."

Without a direct link to the purported Daily Star article, those comments remain apocryphal no matter how many websites repeat them.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...506507508509510511512513514515516...LastNext
Current Page: 511 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home