Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...502503504505506507508509510511512...LastNext
Current Page: 507 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 11, 2022 03:19

doitywoik
Hairball
"Sounds great"

"Working on it"

"Three to five tunes in the can"

"Almost done"

"Maybe next year"

Better than three out of five ...

Unfortunately "the can" has become rusty, and they'll need to start fresh...again...
This is what happens when it take decades to record a new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-11 03:20 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 11, 2022 05:52

doitywoik
24FPS
I think they'd like at least a couple new numbers to add to the worn out Warhorses. Ghost Town won't be relevant, hopefully, by the time they roll through Europe.

If they had liked the idea of adding new numbers to their batch of war horses they could already have done so for many years (rather, decades). Of course I would very much like get a show once with seven or eight brandnew numbers, then some post-TY material, and only a few "classic" numbers. I'm just afraid it won't happen.

As for Ghost Town, which seems to work well live, there's still the option of falling back on the original lyrics, which apparently had nothing to do with Covid19 (and which perhaps noone except the boys themselves ever got to hear). The way it looks presently, Covid might still be an issue in Europe in the Summer, and then there's the war now ...

From what I've been able to gather from what Mick said about updating LIGT, not much changed. For example,

Life was so beautiful
Then we all got locked down

I'm going nowhere
Shut up all alone
So much time to lose
Just staring at my phone

We were so beautiful
I was your man about town
Living in this ghost town
Ain't having any fun

If I want a party
It's a party of one

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 11, 2022 07:33

doitywoik
24FPS
doitywoik
24FPS
I think they'd like at least a couple new numbers to add to the worn out Warhorses. Ghost Town won't be relevant, hopefully, by the time they roll through Europe.

If they had liked the idea of adding new numbers to their batch of war horses they could already have done so for many years (rather, decades).

They always do. They played Ghost Town and even Troubles A Coming on the last tour. They played a couple numbers off Blue and Lonesome. Before that is was Doom and Gloom.

They could do a couple more.

But they don't. They start the tours with usually 2 'new' numbers. By the end it's usually one that survives.

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: March 11, 2022 15:35

24FPS
doitywoik
24FPS
doitywoik
24FPS

If they had liked the idea of adding new numbers to their batch of war horses they could already have done so for many years (rather, decades).

They always do. They played Ghost Town and even Troubles A Coming on the last tour. They played a couple numbers off Blue and Lonesome. Before that is was Doom and Gloom.

But they don't. They start the tours with usually 2 'new' numbers. By the end it's usually one that survives.

They are afraid of their audience. "Let's do something we know they like."

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 11, 2022 15:41

Yeah...like Mick said in Marseilles in 2018 "Nous n'avons pas joué ici depuis longtemps mais ne vous inquiétez pas ce sont toujours les mêmes chansons" ("We haven't played here for a while but don't worry it's still the same old songs")

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 11, 2022 15:58

gotdablouse
Yeah...like Mick said in Marseilles in 2018 "Nous n'avons pas joué ici depuis longtemps mais ne vous inquiétez pas ce sont toujours les mêmes chansons" ("We haven't played here for a while but don't worry it's still the same old songs")

Haha, I recall once Mick in Twickenham asking if anyone in audience saw them them playing in Richmond back in the day. And added, 'dont worry, the setlist is still the same'...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-11 15:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 11, 2022 16:22

Strange, he is aware of it still he is the one deciding the setlists. I don't think he ever got the question why the setlists are the same (almost) every time. Although he has done thousands of interviews...

Date: March 11, 2022 16:33

Stoneage
Strange, he is aware of it still he is the one deciding the setlists. I don't think he ever got the question why the setlists are the same (almost) every time. Although he has done thousands of interviews...

It could be that the setlists are some sort of problem only for some hardcore fans (who would like the band to be something they are not). I recall once someone from the press asking - it could be it was in Stockholm 1995 - why they start the concert with such an unknown tune ("Not Fade Away"), and Mick answered (seemingly not being too glad about the question) 'to make it more known'.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-11 16:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 11, 2022 17:04

Promo for Keith's upcoming "CBS Sunday Morning" interview with Anthony Mason:

MUSIC: Keith Richards on the Rolling Stones and a solo reunion
The guitarist of The Rolling Stones, and frontman of Keith Richards & the X-Pensive Winos, talks with correspondent Anthony Mason about his solo career; writing new music with Mick Jagger; the passing of the Stones' drummer Charlie Watts; and how he kicked his most persistent addiction.

[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 11, 2022 17:15

bye bye johnny

The guitarist of The Rolling Stones, and frontman of Keith Richards & the X-Pensive Winos, talks with correspondent Anthony Mason about his solo career; writing new music with Mick Jagger; the passing of the Stones' drummer Charlie Watts; and how he kicked his most persistent addiction.

[www.cbsnews.com]

Oh I love this. 'Writing new music with Mick Jagger' And my response is 'What new music?' Clearly he is reminiscing about when they actually DID write together, twenty years back...

Date: March 11, 2022 17:22

kuenzer
24FPS
doitywoik
24FPS
doitywoik
24FPS

They are afraid of their audience. "Let's do something we know they like."

Nailed it! You absolutely right. I can almost hear the conversation now, somewhere in a boardroom. 'Let's take the SAFE option. Sod the long time fans. Those sad people who actually LISTEN to the band and know the music. They are so few of them left we won't get rich playing for them. Instead let's pander to the lowest common denominator. The CASUAL fan. We can flog 'em baseball caps, t-shirts, mugs and one of our compilations of BIG HITS. That is how to make even more money....'

Date: March 11, 2022 17:32

Doxa
Stoneage

It could be that the setlists are some sort of problem only for some hardcore fans (who would like the band to be something they are not). I recall once someone from the press asking - it could be it was in Stockholm 1995 - why they start the concert with such an unknown tune ("Not Fade Away"), and Mick answered (seemingly not being too glad about the question) 'to make it more known'.

- Doxa

I feel like those of us who qualify to be known as 'some hardcore fans' should shamefacedly apologise for daring to want a more varied set-list. How could we be IMPERTINENT enough to become 'some kind of problem' for everyone else. Especially those casual fans who want to hear the same 25-30 tracks rotated over and over and over again...

Clearly we have been totally stupid for the past 50 plus years. Buying all the albums. Playing the deep cuts. Reading about the influences that shaped the musical journey of The Stones.

Yes, that is it. We have been stupid lifelong, totally committed fans ...

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 11, 2022 17:35

Is it about money, or what they're comfortable playing in front of 50,000+ at this stage in their abilities? What would a few more mil mean at their ages? After the tickets are sold, they should play what they want.

I'd guess most tickets are sold before the tour starts, so how much money would they really lose if they played deep cuts for 75% of the show?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 11, 2022 19:22

Stoneage

I guess that's one of the banned questions, like how he gets along with Keith these days !

Macca's often said that he wants to please people who come expecting to hear some songs and would de disappointed if they didn't. The funny thing is that even when he (or the Stones) plays in small places, they still play the same old stuff more or less. Stones at the Trabendo for instance.

I happen to be listing to Daltrey's bio on Audible these days and he said something about that too, especially when they got started, unlike Pete he was working class and knew what it was like to go to a show after toiling on the job for a week, people wanted to have a good time and hear stuff they were familiar with.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 11, 2022 20:55

GerardHennessy
bye bye johnny

[www.cbsnews.com]

Oh I love this. 'Writing new music with Mick Jagger' And my response is 'What new music?' Clearly he is reminiscing about when they actually DID write together, twenty years back...

More like 50 years back

Date: March 11, 2022 21:36

GerardHennessy
Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

I feel like those of us who qualify to be known as 'some hardcore fans' should shamefacedly apologise for daring to want a more varied set-list. How could we be IMPERTINENT enough to become 'some kind of problem' for everyone else. Especially those casual fans who want to hear the same 25-30 tracks rotated over and over and over again...

Clearly we have been totally stupid for the past 50 plus years. Buying all the albums. Playing the deep cuts. Reading about the influences that shaped the musical journey of The Stones.

Well, we can hope whatever one can hope, like playing the whole of SATANIC MAJESTIES with if not Brian Jones but Mick Taylor at my backyard, but I am not that eager to complain that all the time in some social media. The Stones are what they are, and it doesn't ask too much reflectivity to see that. If a fan can not face the reality, especially with a band that's been pretty predictable in their doings for decades, I suggest that it would be healthier to find some other interest. Just for a personal gain.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-11 21:38 by Doxa.

Date: March 11, 2022 21:53

Let's get back to the new album. I'm not expecting much, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. As long as they record Charlie right, it'll be worth a listen.

Date: March 11, 2022 22:09

If they ever thought an idea of "owing" something to the 'hard cord fans' they never had left Richmond.

Besides, the idea of there being a difference between a 'hardcore' and 'casual' fans is just so bloody elitistic as it ever can be. 'Because I happen to love you more, you own me more'. They do what they do. A pop group, not bloody avantgarde artists.

- Doxa

Date: March 11, 2022 22:45

Doxa
GerardHennessy
Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

Well, we can hope whatever one can hope, like playing the whole of SATANIC MAJESTIES with if not Brian Jones but Mick Taylor at my backyard, but I am not that eager to complain that all the time in some social media. The Stones are what they are, and it doesn't ask too much reflectivity to see that. If a fan can not face the reality, especially with a band that's been pretty predictable in their doings for decades, I suggest that it would be healthier to find some other interest. Just for a personal gain.

- Doxa

Fair enough! The suggestion that we find another interest given The Stones are what they are (ie predictable) is valid.

In fact I did rather move on from The Stones about ten years ago now. To Robert Plant in the new direction he was taking musically. To Hawkwind who had rediscovered their own Mojo at that time. To Government Mule, Monster Magnet, Junior Kimbrough, and Datura 4, to mention a mere handful of those I'd moved on to. Just beforehand I'd rather hoped that the relative success - both critically and commercially - of A Bigger Bang, coupled with the 50th anniversary celebrations, would unleash a final burst of creative energy from The Stones, bringing a new album and perhaps a few different set lists. I'd even been foolish enough to think they might rotate a set-list of 50 songs rather than the usual 25-30 songs they usually pick from, when they embarked on the 2013 tour.

What an idiot I was. There was a brief flurry of new material for the first few gigs before it all became the usual 'same old, same old'. That is when my heart kind of went out of it. Of course one never REALLY stops being a fan. I might be irritated and frustrated at how 'samey' it all is, but I also love these guys.Sometimes despite myself! And I retain a faint, and stupid, hope that one day they will surprise me. Lonesome and Blue was one such example. Okay it was not groundbreaking in any way, but it WAS different, and entirely in keeping with the blues roots the band had sprung from.

I guess I should shut up about the stagnant music pool in which The Stones have long been mired. But I'm like the jilted lover. Still standing at the door, hoping against hope someone will open it and let me in. Even if just for one brief, glorious, final flurry of excitement.

Fat chance of that happening, methinks!

Date: March 12, 2022 02:03

'Moving on from the Stones' isn't that difficult. Nothing but a couple singles and a blue cover album in 17 years. We've been living in glorious vault land since 2010. It's not like we're following a dynamic, artistic band at this point. I think Charlie's death shocked some. It will be really hard for some when they wake up one day and the Stones are no more. I think that's what drives a lot of people to go see them. They're the last vestige of the 60s and their/our youth. There's been nothing to replace them. You just have to keep discovering old artists, like Michael Bloomfield, and Bix Beiderbecke.

Right now I'm listening to a 3 CD set covering an Otis Redding three night stand at the Whisky A Go Go in 1966. 'They call me Mr. Pitiful....'

Date: March 12, 2022 03:23

24FPS
'Moving on from the Stones' isn't that difficult. Nothing but a couple singles and a blue cover album in 17 years. We've been living in glorious vault land since 2010. It's not like we're following a dynamic, artistic band at this point. I think Charlie's death shocked some. It will be really hard for some when they wake up one day and the Stones are no more. I think that's what drives a lot of people to go see them. They're the last vestige of the 60s and their/our youth. There's been nothing to replace them. You just have to keep discovering old artists, like Michael Bloomfield, and Bix Beiderbecke.

Right now I'm listening to a 3 CD set covering an Otis Redding three night stand at the Whisky A Go Go in 1966. 'They call me Mr. Pitiful....'

Yep. Spot on. They are the last - or nearly the last - gunslingers in town. And that will endear them to many.

Unfortunately all they really do for me nowadays is remind me of how long it has been since they were remotely relevant musically. Despite all the adulatory comments about how vibrant and rejuvenated they were on their recent jaunt through The States, some good friends who saw them three time on the tour told me that the entire experience was fairly underwhelming. It was not a train wreck by any means, it was just really average. The same moves, the same on-stage patter from Jagger, the same numbers performed. In fact they had tickets for four concerts but sold their tickets for the final event - at a loss. Why?
Basically it was, they told me - 'all so utterly predictable' There was really no point in hanging about any longer.

What a sad epitaph that makes for a band that once excited, enthralled and elevated us all to the very heights of musical ecstasy.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 12, 2022 04:16

Talking about moving on being easy while posting on a Stones message board seems a bit unrealistic. "I can quit any time I like."

Date: March 12, 2022 13:32

GerardHennessy
24FPS

Yep. Spot on. They are the last - or nearly the last - gunslingers in town. And that will endear them to many.

Unfortunately all they really do for me nowadays is remind me of how long it has been since they were remotely relevant musically. Despite all the adulatory comments about how vibrant and rejuvenated they were on their recent jaunt through The States, some good friends who saw them three time on the tour told me that the entire experience was fairly underwhelming. It was not a train wreck by any means, it was just really average. The same moves, the same on-stage patter from Jagger, the same numbers performed. In fact they had tickets for four concerts but sold their tickets for the final event - at a loss. Why?
Basically it was, they told me - 'all so utterly predictable' There was really no point in hanging about any longer.

What a sad epitaph that makes for a band that once excited, enthralled and elevated us all to the very heights of musical ecstasy.

Well, had your friends seeing them three times in 1966 or 1969 or 1972 or 1978 they had made the same observation. Honestly, seeing any act any time three times in a row would make similar observation: this is very predictable. The performers are what they are, and cannot change dramatically over-night. Personally, I have a long ago decided that I will not see my biggest heroes way too often, since I know I will be bored pretty easily if seeing the same thing over and over again. My personal 'record' has been just two shows per tour as far as the Stones go, but usually just one show will be enough for me. So seeing my favourite pop group and hearing them playing some of the greatest rock songs ever made once in every few years is not that bad. But that's just me. People like BV ('superfans') see and feel things differently and will be thrilled and excited in every show. Our addictions and fixes are different.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-12 13:46 by Doxa.

Date: March 12, 2022 14:17

Doxa
If they ever thought an idea of "owing" something to the 'hard cord fans' they never had left Richmond.

Besides, the idea of there being a difference between a 'hardcore' and 'casual' fans is just so bloody elitistic as it ever can be. 'Because I happen to love you more, you own me more'. They do what they do. A pop group, not bloody avantgarde artists.

- Doxa

You are a little harsh in some of what you have written. I never said, and never would say, that The Stones owe me, or anyone, anything. And that was never my point. However I do think it is a pity - and nothing more than that - that very little, if ANY, thought is EVER given given to those of us who have been long-time fans. After all, the pounds and euros and dollars we paid to buy their albums and singles over 40-50 years have helped the band achieve the status it enjoys today.

And I don't think it is elitist in the slightest to differentiate between casual fans and hardcore fans. I use that terminology, not to condescend or patronise anyone, but simply to differentiate between what different people would like to hear. In my own case I would love if OCCASIONALLY the band used a setlist split evenly between warhorses and less frequently played tracks.

You're final point is entirely correct. The Stones are, of course a music group. Not avant garde artistes. There is no reason for anyone, least of all myself, to get hugely impassioned about any of this. Not in a world of war, hunger, cruelty and death. This discussion thread is for debate, discussion, diversion and, dare I say it, entertainment. A place for different thoughts, opinion, ideas and suggestions to be expressed in a spirit of acceptance, respect, and mutual recognition of each other and the opinions we hold...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 12, 2022 14:30

From an interview with Keith by German News-Magazine Der Spiegel, 12-Mar-2022 - [iorr.org] :

Q: "You've been working with the Rolling Stones on a new studio album for some time now. Is there any news about it?"

Keith: "We worked on new songs last year. Some of them were created together with Charlie, of course. That's why we haven't moved on yet. My feeling is that we will be on tour later this year. And after that, maybe we'll think about how we want to finish the record."

Q: "Even without Charlie?"

Keith: "Yeah, we're going to keep going. The band is forcing us. Heh-heh-heh."

[www.Spiegel.de] - (paywalled)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-12 17:45 by Irix.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 12, 2022 14:41

O my god.. thats no new album before 2025

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 12, 2022 14:49

Well, Mick wasn't lying when he said "Don't hold your breath" back on 2020.

Date: March 12, 2022 15:10

"And after that, maybe we'll think about how we want to finish the record."

After.. maybe...think about...

Keith isn't exactly confirming anything.. grinning smiley

But is this interview done before or after the Jamaica sessions? Keith doesn't mention anything about them. Usually he does if he is doing something with Mick.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-12 15:12 by Doxa.

Date: March 12, 2022 15:29

Well, a skeptic or a conspiracy theorist in me says that Keith wasn't in Jamaica after all.. His gear was but he missed the plane or something...

Be the truth whatever, but it seriously looks like that this thread is not dying off soon..

- Doxa

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 12, 2022 15:50

Doxa

But is this interview done before or after the Jamaica sessions?

Looks like before, since Keith answered the question: "Are you coming back to Europe?" with: "I'm not allowed to confirm it, I think. But it's under discussion".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...502503504505506507508509510511512...LastNext
Current Page: 507 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home