Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...499500501502503504505506507508509...LastNext
Current Page: 504 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 2, 2022 05:20

Posted on timeisonourside:

Mid-to-late February 2022: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, with Matt Clifford, are likely holding recording sessions at GeeJam Studios in the northeast Portland parish of Jamaica to resume work on the Rolling Stones' next album. (Mick Jagger posts pictures online on February 18 of his presence in the area, and reveals to a journalist he is there completing an album, while Matt Clifford posts a picture of a recording studio with Keith Richards' guitar, amplifier and picks.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2022 08:27

VoodooLounge13
Let's make it a double CD then. Have Disc 1 be all new original songs, with Jordan on drums, and have Disc 2 be leftovers/new songs with Charlie, and have the back photo on the album be the closed drumkit photo that Keef had posted on his account. IDK. I don't know how to manage the effects of this. At the time I came into the band, losing Bill was going on, and it just didn't hit me the same as Charlie, mainly because there wasn't the decades of built up attachment yet. The Stones are down to just two now, same as The Who, though arguably still a much better live spectacle.

That is inarguable.

Posted by: Bushfire ()
Date: March 2, 2022 08:47

VoodooLounge13
I truly hope not. Honest to God. Seeing them in concert without Charlie was one thing. An album that has anyone else on drums besides Charlie is not a Rolling Stones record. If Steve is there to play drums on the B-Sides, that I could live with. But on the actual official album to be released???? Absolutely not. Sacrilege. My heart will break more.

Fully agree!

Date: March 2, 2022 08:54

Let It Bleed and Exile are not Rolling Stones records? smoking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 2, 2022 11:19

Bushfire
VoodooLounge13
I truly hope not. Honest to God. Seeing them in concert without Charlie was one thing. An album that has anyone else on drums besides Charlie is not a Rolling Stones record. If Steve is there to play drums on the B-Sides, that I could live with. But on the actual official album to be released???? Absolutely not. Sacrilege. My heart will break more.

Fully agree!

Gentlemen, I don't quite follow this logic. If it is alright for the band to play live without Charlie Watts, I think it is absolutely fine to release new music without him. To me playing live is the ultimate test for a band to be a band, in studio anything can happen.

- Doxa

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 2, 2022 11:39

I would fully understand it if Steve plays drums on most of the tracks. Since the eighties or so Charlie was only involved in the final part of the recording process. So many of the demo's Mick and Keith recorded in the last couple of years would be without Charlie on drums. I doubt if they did studio work during the Covid years. Charlie probably played his drum-part for Ghost Town from his home. And when I listen to the song, I often wonder if it's really Charlie or a drum-computer...

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 2, 2022 11:59

Things change. When Jordan plays it doesn´t sound like Charlie. And when Keith plays - these days - it doesn´t sound like Keith. That´s even worse. It´s not 1981 anymore. Keys to your love, anyone? I prefer Down in the hole. cool smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 2, 2022 12:23

Of course it can never be the same. That goes without saying. But if you replace somebody it can be either worse, the same or better. I think they went for the worse when they replaced Bill. When they replaced Charlie they just got a different kind of drummer. Not worse, not better and of course the original sound can't be replaced. Sometimes young blood can reinvigorate a band also. Release new energy. I'm sure someone like Waddy Wachtel would have put some spark to the guitar section for instance.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 2, 2022 12:25

ribbelchips
I would fully understand it if Steve plays drums on most of the tracks. Since the eighties or so Charlie was only involved in the final part of the recording process. So many of the demo's Mick and Keith recorded in the last couple of years would be without Charlie on drums. I doubt if they did studio work during the Covid years. Charlie probably played his drum-part for Ghost Town from his home. And when I listen to the song, I often wonder if it's really Charlie or a drum-computer...

thumbs up

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: March 2, 2022 12:58

The drums for Ghost Town were certainly recorded in a studio. And I don‘t know where the fear comes from that Charlie won‘t be on the record. I think he said he finished his parts. He‘s been in the studio with them sporadically but on quite a few sessions over the past 10 years. And Keith said that we didn‘t hear the last of Charlie.
My guess is that the drums for the songs have long been tracked and that Keith and Mick now put the finishing touches on the Album.

Date: March 2, 2022 14:25

MonkeyMan2000
The drums for Ghost Town were certainly recorded in a studio. And I don‘t know where the fear comes from that Charlie won‘t be on the record. I think he said he finished his parts. He‘s been in the studio with them sporadically but on quite a few sessions over the past 10 years. And Keith said that we didn‘t hear the last of Charlie.
My guess is that the drums for the songs have long been tracked and that Keith and Mick now put the finishing touches on the Album.

Surely Charlie will be on a record. I guess the issue is will he be on all tracks or not (that is, if some other drummer will be on a cut or two). In the latter case the problem with a purist Stones fan is similar as skipping "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Tumbling Dice" in order to enjoy LET IT BLEED and EXILE ON MAIN STREET. A consistent purist should also skip the songs on which Mick Jagger is not singing lead vocals or the tracks on which there is no Keith Richards on guitar.

I guess we have a pseudo problem here, people (and we are just spending time while waiting the album to be released)... smoking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 2, 2022 14:30

Doxa
MonkeyMan2000

Surely Charlie will be on a record. I guess the issue is will he be on all tracks or not (that is, if some other drummer will be on a cut or two). In the latter case the problem with a purist Stones fan is similar as skipping "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Tumbling Dice" in order to enjoy LET IT BLEED and EXILE ON MAIN STREET. A consistent purist should also skip the songs on which Mick Jagger is not singing lead vocals or the tracks on which there is no Keith Richards on guitar.

I guess we have a pseudo problem here, people (and we are just spending time while waiting the album to be released)... smoking smiley

- Doxa

not to forget songs like 'Yesterday' on which only Paul… uups wrong forum tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 2, 2022 14:56

jahisnotdead
There aren't enough Stones albums, in my humble opinion. What hardcore Stones fan rejects new music by their favorite band? In my opinion, artists create. Active bands put out new albums. Active painters paint new paintings. I'm just old fashioned like that. To me it's weird to go on world tours year after year for the fans, but not put out new albums of original material. We know from the bootlegs that they got the stuff, but somehow there's some "performance anxiety" behind the scenes that prevents it from being finished and released.

I truly thought the new album had been put to bed long ago and this year was going to go according to a careful marketing plan. In this day and age what is a brick and mortar store for if not for an active "brand" offering something big to market? It just seems to me the Stones are more interested in selling tongue logo tee shirts than finishing and releasing any albums of new music.

Maybe I'm wrong and it still will come out before the middle of July, or by Christmas, and this recent recording stuff is really just the fine details on one or two tracks or simply them recording a promotional video. I sure hope so. But honestly, I'm beginning to give up hope.

I gave up hope ages ago. All this talk about getting together somewhere to put 'the finishing touches' to something or other, has surfaced over and over again for the last several years. Who can say this time is any different?

The sense I have is that the band (ie Keith and Mick) think the cost and hassle of putting a new album together is more bother than it's worth. They can make more money out of merchandising, performing a big-hits warhorse-crammed set list on another tour, and retouching something from the vaults to replenish and re-sell an anniversary-reissue of one of their better albums from 30-40 years ago.

It is all sadly predictable.

For me all of this is a rather sad and tawdry final hurrah by a band that, for so long, was a vital, vibrant, dangerous and debauched two-finger salute to the world of commercial exploitation and corporate greed. Now they reside in that world.

Many will disagree with me. Some of my own friends disagree with me. 'What's wrong with playing the hits and having fun?' I hear over and over again. Nothing at all for many people of course. But for some of us who remember the great days, and what The Stones actually stood for, it is a real anti-climax...

Date: March 2, 2022 15:31

<So many of the demos Mick and Keith recorded in the last couple of years would be without Charlie on drums>

Highly unlikely, imo. I think you're confusing the demos Mick and Matt recorded and brought to the band to work with, with the demos Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie have recorded (intended for release later, with finishing touches).

Btw, how do you know? We haven't really heard many demos from the last couple of years, have we? confused smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 2, 2022 19:36

Keith's demos are generally done in New York because of its proximity to his home. That means Germano Studios and Steve Jordan for Keith. That said, the Stones do not treat Keith's demos as sponge jobs. In contrast, Mick and Matt's demos are very polished and form the basis of the finished track as reflected in the production credits and musician credits for Matt vs. Steve's odd co-songwriting credit or failure to receive acknowledgement on the finished work.

Mick and Matt's demos often end up sounding like "product" and miss the magic of a band working together because the individual Stones phoned in their parts on songs that were already finished and arranged before they heard them. Steve Jordan was in the studio with Mick and Keith when they were working up Living in a Ghost Town, but the final track doesn't acknowledge Steve whereas Matt's stamp is all over the track from production to arranger to session musician. This would appear to be a successful compromise vs. Keith just simply being a yes-man like Ronnie and Charlie and taking the easy money while sacrificing creative input.
Too much of the new material and newly completed outtakes in the past 20 years are Mick and Matt working in a vacuum because it's more efficient and less combative than Mick and Keith working together to create. The recent emphasis in this thread on Charlie's inability to physically play drums for hours and hours day after day misses the fact that Keith is also limited physically in his ability to play guitar like he used to. Part of what was discussed with CROSSEYED HEART was the need for Keith to be disciplined enough to do regular sessions that are shorter in duration. Someone with Keith's arthritis cannot play for 8-10 hours straight daily. His age is also a factor.

The length of time this new Stones album has taken reflects a lack of similar discipline as much as the difficulty of reconciling Matt-Mick with Keith and NY-based Keith with the rest of the band who are more willing to meet up on Mick's terms. The other dynamic is Keith's book which not only damaged his relationship with Mick, but with Charlie and Ronnie. It may be largely forgotten now, but the collaboration in Jamaica six years after the album started is a reflection of all these complex issues among the (now surviving) Stones.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 3, 2022 00:19

Rocky Dijon
The other dynamic is Keith's book which not only damaged his relationship with Mick, but with Charlie and Ronnie.

I Understand the Mick bit, but Charlie and Ronnie? How?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 3, 2022 00:59

If it's an opinion, it doesn't matter. We all have them.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 3, 2022 08:01

Doxa
MonkeyMan2000

- Doxa

I have one wish only: That is to have all the included tracks that Charlie would be on, to introduce the album. Those tracks will then finalize the era with Charlie Watts as the drummer of the Rolling Stones.

(That is, if the band not happens to release more recorded material later on, which, even if great enough to be included in the first instance, stylistically does not quite fit in. If so, preferably follow the same procedure. That to me would feel right in some loyalty way towards Charlie.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-03 08:02 by Witness.

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: March 3, 2022 15:52

JordyLicks96
Posted on timeisonourside:

Mid-to-late February 2022: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, with Matt Clifford, are likely holding recording sessions at GeeJam Studios in the northeast Portland parish of Jamaica to resume work on the Rolling Stones' next album. (Mick Jagger posts pictures online on February 18 of his presence in the area, and reveals to a journalist he is there completing an album, while Matt Clifford posts a picture of a recording studio with Keith Richards' guitar, amplifier and picks.)

Found it here. Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-03 15:54 by kuenzer.

Date: March 3, 2022 18:21

Witness
Doxa
MonkeyMan2000

- Doxa

I have one wish only: That is to have all the included tracks that Charlie would be on, to introduce the album. Those tracks will then finalize the era with Charlie Watts as the drummer of the Rolling Stones.

(That is, if the band not happens to release more recorded material later on, which, even if great enough to be included in the first instance, stylistically does not quite fit in. If so, preferably follow the same procedure. That to me would feel right in some loyalty way towards Charlie.)

I speculated a few pages ago if Charlie's passing might have some effect on new album's nature. With that I mean that they might reconsider some tracks that had Charlie on them to be released, although they have rejected them initially. It seems to be that they have had some issues along the years in regard to album's musical direction. So the possibilty could be now that of 'okay, let Charlie's involvement settle it now'. Could be also some kind of pragmatic compromise solution between Mick and Keith's differing ideas (if that has been an issue).

But just speculation.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-03 18:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 4, 2022 19:04

So what are the odds they'll announce a new album at the same time as the tour next week (the 9th apparently) ? They seem low at this point...but if they don't when is that ever going to happen ?! Not during the tour, not immediately after, in the fall ? And then there's this El Mocambo release they need to fit in...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 4, 2022 21:05

I suspect the new album will be a hodgepodge of Charlie playing on them straight, maybe Steve helping out (credited or uncredited) and also Charlie's parts manipulated drastically to create new beats to mold in whatever way Mick needs them to sound (something I suspect would have not sat well with Charlie if he were around..)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-04 21:06 by Justin.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2022 01:26

Looking forward to another new Stones single hopefully, and anything beyond that is pretty much a fantasy and a dream.
Maybe a tune with freshly written lyrics regarding the current situation in the world, and hopefully one that has Charlie on drums.
Mick seems keen to try and be seen as relevant and contemporary in recent years with mixed results ala the Stonesy good Ghost Town, and the terribly inferior Getta Grip, England Lost, etc..
Wondering if he'll be newly inspired, and if so, hopefully it will be something that Keith is willing to get on board with as another Mick solo tune would be completely unwelcome and unfortunate at this point.

Date: March 5, 2022 01:37

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-05 01:39 by Doxa.

Date: March 5, 2022 01:38

Hairball
Looking forward to another new Stones single hopefully, and anything beyond that is pretty much a fantasy and a dream.
Maybe a tune with freshly written lyrics regarding the current situation in the world, and hopefully one that has Charlie on drums.
Mick seems keen to try and be seen as relevant and contemporary in recent years with mixed results ala the Stonesy good Ghost Town, and the terribly inferior Getta Grip, England Lost, etc..
Wondering if he'll be newly inspired, and if so, hopefully it will be something that Keith is willing to get on board with as another Mick solo tune would be completely unwelcome and unfortunate at this point.

I am sure the next Beatles album will be dynamite.

- Doxa

Date: March 5, 2022 16:46

Hairball

Yeah, a single, if we're lucky ! They just don't seem ready to release an album and why would they ever be going forward ? So much more rewarding to slap together a tour, bask in the crowd adulation and make tons of money.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 5, 2022 16:53

Hairball

Hairball...you Gotta Get A Grip!

As much as I don't disagree with your desire for a new stones single, it'll come WITH a new album and as far as a Mick solo tune is concerned, if the new Stones song is anywhere near as good as Easy Sleazy it'll be an out of the park hit, at least as far as Stones fans are concerned.

Date: March 5, 2022 17:07

And when do you think that new album might be announced ? If it's not next week, and again what are the odds of that absent any of the tiniest hints, it won't be until they get a chance to promote it with another tour...

--------------

Date: March 5, 2022 17:14

gotdablouse
And when do you think that new album might be announced ? If it's not next week, and again what are the odds of that absent any of the tiniest hints, it won't be until they get a chance to promote it with another tour...

Well...if it's going to happen, it'll be simultaneous with the tour. Try to make it BLOCKBUSTER news, and that makes sense.

As far as El Mocambo is concerned, doesn't really matter. That'll be another micro release. Only true fanatics will even know anything about it so it's not going to sell bucketloads. It's just another timed release to keep the cashflow steady.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 6, 2022 03:01

From The Sun, March 5:

The source went on: “60 years at the top of their game is an incredible achievement, and this tour will be one to remember. It will be followed by a new album.

“Mick and Keith have recently been in Jamaica writing songs that they are now recording. So there is a lot to look forward to from the Stones in the months to come.”

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...499500501502503504505506507508509...LastNext
Current Page: 504 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home