Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...493494495496497498499500501502503...LastNext
Current Page: 498 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 5, 2022 02:04

GasLightStreet
The way sales have been the past few years, how does Christmas equate? Because a few more people might buy it sooner than later?

I rather believe they count on people that don't know what Xmas present to buy for someone so they would buy some album by a well-known artist (if the artist is well-known, it couldn't be that bad ...) of which they think it might be within the musical range of the giftee.

A while ago I got the same Eric Clapton album three times as a Christmas present by three different people ... and I can't even recall which one it was ...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 5, 2022 12:50

Doxa
doitywoik
Doxa
But despite of it's success, I lean on thinking more and more that for Stones fans the idea of them releasing something new is more important than the actual content of it.

You certainly do have a point here (and I am possibly among the guilty ones). But on the other hand, what's the worst thing that could happen? Another Stones-by-the-numbers album! That is, still not a bad album. Everybody will find two or three songs they like, a handful of songs they can somehow tolerate, and a bunch of fillers. OK, that's only business as usual but still better than nothing at all. smiling smiley

Well, I am surely as guilty as you are there. Damn, I would like to have a new Stones album anytime, be it whatever like. And besides I think the whole concept of a having a new Stones album is/was like a rock standard. I recall people like Bruce Springsteen talk about it, and still in his popular years being as excited of it as younger. So one should not underestimate even the idea of it... It is like the thrilling moment when "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones!" is announced, and the band hits on stage...

I also agree that being Stones-by-the-numbers does not mean that it is not a good album. I think A BIGGER BANG is a good album, as is VOODOO LOUNGE (two albums that I think mostly can be described as that). I think as albums they are like they were intented at the time: showing that they still are in a form, and able to deliver the goods very convincingly. Artistically they do not add that much to their legacy, but shit, they do sound like The Rolling Stones, and that alone is a huge achievement, a merit (and if my ears have authority, they sound better than any other rock band just by sounding like they do). I very rarely listen to those albums, but whenever I do, or some odd cuts from there pops up somewhere, I always go like 'wow, that sounds so good. Much better than I thought' (But from experience I know that I better not over-listening them in order keep the fascination).

The other day I saw "Streets of Love" from youtube (not my choice, but algorithm's). Not ever been that big favourite of mine - and just think its reputation among diehards here - but to me it sounded a well-written tune with a catchy chorus (and I don't wonder why it get such a warm reception when they rarely played live in Europe - although Mick didn't make notes I guess...).

Then I went to listen A BIGGER BANG more closely. "Rough Justice" is so generic as a Stones rocker can be, but shit, it sounds energetic and good. "Back of My Hand" is a mother of all blues pastishes, but totally irrestible to my ears. I've always have thought that "Biggest Mistake" is a hidden gem, and yeah, it is a well-written, melodic piece from a classical singer song-writer tradition and Mick shares us a good story there. Also in "Laugh I Nearly Died" Mick is in a good shape, putting some true effort. "Sweet Neo-Con" is a joke, but it made me smile. Surely the album is a way too long, and having a bit too many boring rockers (I guess that makes it is a pretty demanding listening experience from start to finish), and Keith's tunes are his worst, but it not a bad album by any means. But I know, like I noted already, from experience that I better to keep it that way: not to over-play the album to lost the 'magic'. Probably the problem with especially the pretty one-dimensional rockers like "Oh No Not You Again", "Driving Too Fast", "It Won't Take Long", "Dangerous Beauty", etc. is a bit thin band effort. It is pretty raw and straight-in-to-your-face, too obvious, not leaving traces of depthness like they old things did (that forces to listen them again and again). I mean, listening to EMOTIONAL RESCUE, UNDERCOVER, even DIRTY WORK in pieces, and despite the tunes not that memorable either, the band is just so hot, a crazy unpredictable, but still cohesive unit. And yeah, Mick Jagger is no Bill Wyman...

So as far as I am concerned, give me A BIGGER BANG VOL.2 anytime. It surely wouldn't hurt having one in every 17 years... (to make it clear, the point of my post above more like trying to make sense of the unproductivity from their perspective, not from a hardcore fan's like me).

- Doxa

I think "It won't Take Long" is one of Jagger's best singing efforts for decades. It is simply stunning. The track ought to be heard loud. The Stray-Cat-guitars might loose som energy at the end, but Charlie's drumming is marvelous. And the text is one of the latterday best.

I think "Rain Fall Down" is a highligt too.

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: February 5, 2022 16:05

GetYerAngie
Doxa
doitywoik
Doxa
But despite of it's success, I lean on thinking more and more that for Stones fans the idea of them releasing something new is more important than the actual content of it.

You certainly do have a point here (and I am possibly among the guilty ones). But on the other hand, what's the worst thing that could happen? Another Stones-by-the-numbers album! That is, still not a bad album. Everybody will find two or three songs they like, a handful of songs they can somehow tolerate, and a bunch of fillers. OK, that's only business as usual but still better than nothing at all. smiling smiley

Well, I am surely as guilty as you are there. Damn, I would like to have a new Stones album anytime, be it whatever like. And besides I think the whole concept of a having a new Stones album is/was like a rock standard. I recall people like Bruce Springsteen talk about it, and still in his popular years being as excited of it as younger. So one should not underestimate even the idea of it... It is like the thrilling moment when "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones!" is announced, and the band hits on stage...

I also agree that being Stones-by-the-numbers does not mean that it is not a good album. I think A BIGGER BANG is a good album, as is VOODOO LOUNGE (two albums that I think mostly can be described as that). I think as albums they are like they were intented at the time: showing that they still are in a form, and able to deliver the goods very convincingly. Artistically they do not add that much to their legacy, but shit, they do sound like The Rolling Stones, and that alone is a huge achievement, a merit (and if my ears have authority, they sound better than any other rock band just by sounding like they do). I very rarely listen to those albums, but whenever I do, or some odd cuts from there pops up somewhere, I always go like 'wow, that sounds so good. Much better than I thought' (But from experience I know that I better not over-listening them in order keep the fascination).

The other day I saw "Streets of Love" from youtube (not my choice, but algorithm's). Not ever been that big favourite of mine - and just think its reputation among diehards here - but to me it sounded a well-written tune with a catchy chorus (and I don't wonder why it get such a warm reception when they rarely played live in Europe - although Mick didn't make notes I guess...).

Then I went to listen A BIGGER BANG more closely. "Rough Justice" is so generic as a Stones rocker can be, but shit, it sounds energetic and good. "Back of My Hand" is a mother of all blues pastishes, but totally irrestible to my ears. I've always have thought that "Biggest Mistake" is a hidden gem, and yeah, it is a well-written, melodic piece from a classical singer song-writer tradition and Mick shares us a good story there. Also in "Laugh I Nearly Died" Mick is in a good shape, putting some true effort. "Sweet Neo-Con" is a joke, but it made me smile. Surely the album is a way too long, and having a bit too many boring rockers (I guess that makes it is a pretty demanding listening experience from start to finish), and Keith's tunes are his worst, but it not a bad album by any means. But I know, like I noted already, from experience that I better to keep it that way: not to over-play the album to lost the 'magic'. Probably the problem with especially the pretty one-dimensional rockers like "Oh No Not You Again", "Driving Too Fast", "It Won't Take Long", "Dangerous Beauty", etc. is a bit thin band effort. It is pretty raw and straight-in-to-your-face, too obvious, not leaving traces of depthness like they old things did (that forces to listen them again and again). I mean, listening to EMOTIONAL RESCUE, UNDERCOVER, even DIRTY WORK in pieces, and despite the tunes not that memorable either, the band is just so hot, a crazy unpredictable, but still cohesive unit. And yeah, Mick Jagger is no Bill Wyman...

So as far as I am concerned, give me A BIGGER BANG VOL.2 anytime. It surely wouldn't hurt having one in every 17 years... (to make it clear, the point of my post above more like trying to make sense of the unproductivity from their perspective, not from a hardcore fan's like me).

- Doxa

I think "It won't Take Long" is one of Jagger's best singing efforts for decades. It is simply stunning. The track ought to be heard loud. The Stray-Cat-guitars might loose som energy at the end, but Charlie's drumming is marvelous. And the text is one of the latterday best.

I think "Rain Fall Down" is a highligt too.

Thank you for your posts about A Bigger Bang.

They made me give it a spin today.

I hadn't listened to the album as a whole in a very long while. So long, that it was almost like listening to a new album.

Almost!

It does have its highs and lows, but overall, it is better than the memory I have of it. There are some good songs here.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: February 5, 2022 17:24

remember 2005.2006,2007 charlie. keith.a few bumps
didnt sway come out to play..
worried about you... joss stone in miami
oh i hope for double cd with new songs.. 26 magical songs

Date: February 7, 2022 06:49

kkhoranstoned

I hope they've got at least 6 magical songs done so far ... winking smiley

26 new songs would of course be great but I'm afraid this would push the release date back to 2037 or so ...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 8, 2022 10:53

Thank god they never came out with that rumored duets album. You know an artist, or group, have reached the end when they do duets of their hits with currently relevant artists. I know a couple have escaped from the 2013 tour, and they amply illustrate why an entire album of it would have been death.

I think the Stones are more than capable to coming out with some good material. If their singles over the last few years are any indication, they've still got some snap. It's too bad they never reach out for the finest musicians for certain projects. They had 3 or 4 great pianists, the best sax player, and a couple good string arrangers. 3 of the most interesting guitar players, all unique. And yet, when they really need it, they don't reach outside the bubble. Or maybe there is no music scene for them to grab great performers from.

Date: February 8, 2022 14:55

24FPS
Thank god they never came out with that rumored duets album. You know an artist, or group, have reached the end when they do duets of their hits with currently relevant artists. I know a couple have escaped from the 2013 tour, and they amply illustrate why an entire album of it would have been death.

Yeah, definitely! Although I don't think they ever toyed with, or hinted at, the idea, probably rather some (perhaps not too serious) speculation a few hundred pages ago in this thread? The only duet one might tolerate is Mick and Keith sharing vocals on a song. - Well, perhaps depending on the song... Imagine Mick and Keith doing "You're the one that I want" or "Summer Nights" from Grease ... (with Ronnie barking "Tell me more, tell me more" in the background...). winking smiley

I don't know when Mick shared vocals on stage with a guest for the first time, and the occasions I remember often have not been memorable versions of the songs (or memorable for the wrong reasons), so there is possibly no real danger of a duets album. But yeah, once a well-seasoned artist puts out a duets album, and then even a follow-up, you know the end is nigh.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: February 8, 2022 15:26

24FPS
Thank god they never came out with that rumored duets album. You know an artist, or group, have reached the end when they do duets of their hits with currently relevant artists.

Like Elton John!

Date: February 8, 2022 18:34

Valeswood
24FPS
Thank god they never came out with that rumored duets album. You know an artist, or group, have reached the end when they do duets of their hits with currently relevant artists.

Like Elton John!

You mean his duet with Kiki Dee in 1976? grinning smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 9, 2022 04:09

I don't know when Mick shared vocals on stage with a guest for the first time

stevie wonder 1972?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 9, 2022 04:53

It will be the last original Stones album.

Hopefully they go overboard with packaging in regard to the CD release (and, of course, the vinyl release).

Date: February 9, 2022 07:24

Anyone ever thought about how Mick pushed they keyboard aspect with BLACK AND BLUE, which also turned up on TATOO YOU, and how that was abandoned?

Maybe Mick has one or two tunes that are like that. Perhaps how Laugh... came about as well.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 9, 2022 11:52

24FPS

Or a bloody Christmas album. I just HATE those, and when someone like Dylan releases one I genuinely CRINGE. Rock stars should NOT RELEASE Christmas carols. I don’t like ‘em at all to be truthful, but CERTAINLY NOT from rock stars.

Rod

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 9, 2022 12:59

doitywoik
kkhoranstoned

26 new songs would of course be great but I'm afraid this would push the release date back to 2037 or so ...

No need. I would prefer 8 to 10 great tracks and let's say minimum 30 minutes. Leave out the filler. I remember Ooh La La by The Faces timing out at 30 minutes and Station To Station by Bowie had 6 tracks.

Date: February 9, 2022 13:34

bitusa2012
24FPS

Or a bloody Christmas album. I just HATE those, and when someone like Dylan releases one I genuinely CRINGE. Rock stars should NOT RELEASE Christmas carols. I don’t like ‘em at all to be truthful, but CERTAINLY NOT from rock stars.

what about keith and run run rudolph?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 9, 2022 13:44

exhpart
doitywoik
kkhoranstoned

No need. I would prefer 8 to 10 great tracks and let's say minimum 30 minutes. Leave out the filler. I remember Ooh La La by The Faces timing out at 30 minutes and Station To Station by Bowie had 6 tracks.

Well, if "Ghost Town" is an indication of the material in the can, I think there is a nice album popping up, better and more fresh- sounding than, say, A BIGGER BANG. Was that the best of the lot, or just thematically the most suitable to be released, I don't know. But altogether I've been satisfied with the quality of the material them together, or Mick and Keith solo, have released within the last ten years (starting with "Doom & Gloom"). Add there the reissue bonus material Mick has worked a lot with, and I think there are reasons to expect that the upcoming album will be worth of all these years of waiting.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-09 13:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 9, 2022 13:54

Doxa
[
Well, if "Ghost Town" is an indication of the material in the can, I think there is a nice album popping up, better and more fresh- sounding than, say, A BIGGER BANG. Was that the best of the lot, or just thematically the most suitable to be released, I don't know. But altogether I've been satisfied with the quality of the material them together, or Mick and Keith solo, have released within the last ten years (starting with "Doom & Gloom"). Add there the reissue bonus material Mick has worked a lot with, and I think there are reasons to expect that the upcoming album will be worth of all these years of waiting.

- Doxa

We'll have to wait and see. Of course, if it were not for the pandemic, Ghost Town would still be unknown; it'd be gathering dust alongside all the other bit-and-bobs they've been supposedly working on for so long. Still, at least the god-awful lockdown gave us a new Stones tune. Something to be thankful for, I guess.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 9, 2022 14:00

bitusa2012
24FPS

Haha, once again an example that Bob can do no wrong in my book. Always hated all those Christmas albums and yeah, I share your take on them in general, but I love Dylan's album - it just sounds so pure authentic Dylan, and I see that, once again, a cool choice and adventure in his career...

- Doxa

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 9, 2022 15:12

ProfessorWolf
bitusa2012
24FPS

Have it. Hate it.

Rod

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: February 9, 2022 15:25

doitywoik
Valeswood
24FPS

Like Elton John!

Like The Lockdown Sessions (2021). A few names I recognise but a lot I don't.

According to Wiki, this is his fifth collaborative album but I couldn't be bothered to look up the others.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 9, 2022 15:30

bitusa2012
ProfessorWolf
bitusa2012
24FPS

Have it. Hate it.

Not much love here for christian song treasury it seems, but Keith's Run Rudolph Run? What's there to hate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-09 15:32 by retired_dog.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 9, 2022 20:24

bitusa2012
ProfessorWolf
bitusa2012
24FPS

Have it. Hate it.

I quite enjoy the Billy Idol one. Got to have a bit of fun in your life.

Date: February 10, 2022 00:55

Valeswood
doitywoik

Like The Lockdown Sessions (2021). A few names I recognise but a lot I don't

Ah, ok. That one had totally escaped me. In fact I lost track of EJ quite a while back. The last few times I heard him sing his voice sounded pretty destroyed.

Doxa
Well, if "Ghost Town" is an indication of the material in the can, I think there is a nice album popping up, better and more fresh- sounding than, say, A BIGGER BANG.
- Doxa

Yeah, Ghost Town is Stones but not Stones by the numbers. Good song (even though it always sounds a bit unfinished to me). Also, I’d like to hear a version without clippings. Anyway, GT shows they still can leave their most well-trodden paths without denying themselves. The question is, is GT a promise of more to come or just the one that breaks away.

Date: February 10, 2022 07:46

Don't ever quote me old... or whatever the saying is.

Yet... for those that continue with the "money" aspect of the Stones recording/releasing or not recording/releasing a new album because of sales:

None of it's got anything to do with money. I mean, it translates itself into money, but none of us is greatly concerned with making money. None of the pressures are concerned with money nor with image. I just try and make the best music I can.

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

Date: February 10, 2022 09:35

GasLightStreet

Yet... for those that continue with the "money" aspect of the Stones recording/releasing or not recording/releasing a new album because of sales:

None of it's got anything to do with money. I mean, it translates itself into money, but none of us is greatly concerned with making money. None of the pressures are concerned with money nor with image. I just try and make the best music I can.

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

That was then, this is now.

Fact is that since Bridges, they had no motivation whatsoever to go back into a "new album every 3 years"-mode and no contractual obligation either. They realized that they simply did not need regular releases of new music to keep the ball rolling.

Look, their idol Chuck Berry had 38 years between his second to last and last album. Compared to this timespan, we can consider ourselves lucky if we get the new (and likely last) Stones album this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-10 09:35 by retired_dog.

Date: February 10, 2022 11:10

retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

Fact is that since Bridges, they had no motivation whatsoever to go back into a "new album every 3 years"-mode and no contractual obligation either. They realized that they simply did not need regular releases of new music to keep the ball rolling.

Look, their idol Chuck Berry had 38 years between his second to last and last album. Compared to this timespan, we can consider ourselves lucky if we get the new (and likely last) Stones album this year.

Seemingly, they tried in 2001, in Paris, but scrapped the project?

Date: February 10, 2022 11:31

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

Was it really a "new album" project that got scrapped? Or was their intention to record just a small handful of new tracks for the upcoming 40 Licks compilation right from the start? Just like for GRRR! a decade later?

Date: February 10, 2022 11:43

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

Was it really a "new album" project that got scrapped? Or was their intention to record just a small handful of new tracks for the upcoming 40 Licks compilation right from the start? Just like for GRRR! a decade later?

given it kinda fit the right time frame 4 years after babylon

i'd always assumed it was for a new album

but they just couldn't get it right and ended up recycling it into 40 licks, the hurricane charity single, a bigger bang, and eventually crosseyed heart

what makes you think there purpose was just the 40 licks compilation?

as for the grrr! session that definetly seemed to just be for those 2 songs

Date: February 10, 2022 12:22

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

We don't know that. However, they spent quite some time recording in Paris, and the leaked "Licks Sessions" showed a range of material that lead me to believe that had they been satisfied with the outcome, we might have gotten an album instead of the four tracks on 40 Licks.

Date: February 10, 2022 13:01

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

We don't know that. However, they spent quite some time recording in Paris, and the leaked "Licks Sessions" showed a range of material that lead me to believe that had they been satisfied with the outcome, we might have gotten an album instead of the four tracks on 40 Licks.

It's possible, indeed. On the other hand, it's also possible than unlike GRRR! a decade later when they entered the studio with just two tracks already singled out, the situation may have been a bit "looser" in Paris, like, "we need 3 or 4 new tracks, so everybody please bring a couple of ideas/sketches so we can see what we can do with 'em!".

I want to believe the latter, because the Stones having an album in mind and ultimately failing to deliver already 20 years ago is a rather uncomforting thought!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...493494495496497498499500501502503...LastNext
Current Page: 498 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home