Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...486487488489490491492493494495496...LastNext
Current Page: 491 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 23, 2021 15:21

doitywoik

In Germany and Austria it's somewhere between 50% and 60%, according to TV and newspaper reports.

That's not true and your TV/newspaper reports got it wrong. Official vaccination data by the federal Robert-Koch-Institute (RKI) of Germany (22-Dec-2021): 1st shot 63-87%, 2nd shot 60-83%, booster-shot: 28-41% - [www.RKI.de] .

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 24, 2021 14:07

May well be, there's quite some fluctuation in the numbers reported, it is also not always clear whether the numbers are w.r.t. the grown-up population, or also include youths or children from a certain age on, or just everybody. And yet there's the question, what is the general average for which age group. 60-83% for the 2nd shot is not exactly an average. Also, the RKI has been criticised in the past for their apparently sometimes idiosyncratic ways of counting (but I guess there's not much of an alternative).
Anyways, it doesn't look too encouraging as regards planning a big-scale tour right now. Too much danger that a new virus strain will come along and all big events will have to be cancelled within a few days. I'm not quite sure if the vaccine mandate in Germany is definitely coming or if it is still only under discussion. Austria will have it starting from February. Not too sure how effective this will actually be with hardcore non-vaxxers. Their number is too large for prosecuting every single individual.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 24, 2021 15:55

doitywoik

Too much danger that a new virus strain will come along and all big events will have to be cancelled within a few days.

Yes, you're right: we will all die .... how about thinking positive? smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 25, 2021 02:07

ribbelchips
They started playing old blues songs (which led to B&L) because they kind of had a writers-block, right? So I think the quality of the songs they wrote or recorded just don't meet their own standards. They are well aware of the fact that this album probably will be there last and with ABB being nearly 17 years old, so they likely will feel the pressure of releasing a good album. The last thing we (and they) want is an album filled with songs like England's Lost or Gotta get a Grip, for sure. So they take the time to finetune it.. but Charlies death surely was a reality check that when you're almost 80 years old, Time is not on your side anymore...

I don't expect that much anymore. If they really did have some great songs, they woud've released 'em like they did with Ghost Town or Doom & Gloom. I do expect some kind of 60 anniversary release in 2022. Maybe a 40 licks kinda release with their 682nd greatest hits compilation, along with a bonus disc with the new material. Consisting of 7-8 songs. Not enough for a real album...

They've all been pretty much saying the same thing since 2016, which consists of "We've got 6 or 7 new songs", "We're writing new songs", then "It's still way early" and "It sounds really good but there's a long way to go". Just lip service to whoever asks.

At one point, and I can't locate it, Mick did say that the new LP they're working on will be the last one.

If it's between 7 and 9 songs and just over 30 minutes long, cool. If it's between 9 and 12 and just under 45 minutes long, cool. If it's over that... ehhhh, those days are over.

If they indeed finish it and include Living In A Ghost Town on it... that just says everything left off is crap.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 25, 2021 03:29

GasLightStreet
ribbelchips
They started playing old blues songs (which led to B&L) because they kind of had a writers-block, right? So I think the quality of the songs they wrote or recorded just don't meet their own standards. They are well aware of the fact that this album probably will be there last and with ABB being nearly 17 years old, so they likely will feel the pressure of releasing a good album. The last thing we (and they) want is an album filled with songs like England's Lost or Gotta get a Grip, for sure. So they take the time to finetune it.. but Charlies death surely was a reality check that when you're almost 80 years old, Time is not on your side anymore...

I don't expect that much anymore. If they really did have some great songs, they woud've released 'em like they did with Ghost Town or Doom & Gloom. I do expect some kind of 60 anniversary release in 2022. Maybe a 40 licks kinda release with their 682nd greatest hits compilation, along with a bonus disc with the new material. Consisting of 7-8 songs. Not enough for a real album...

They've all been pretty much saying the same thing since 2016, which consists of "We've got 6 or 7 new songs", "We're writing new songs", then "It's still way early" and "It sounds really good but there's a long way to go". Just lip service to whoever asks.

At one point, and I can't locate it, Mick did say that the new LP they're working on will be the last one.

If it's between 7 and 9 songs and just over 30 minutes long, cool. If it's between 9 and 12 and just under 45 minutes long, cool. If it's over that... ehhhh, those days are over.

If they indeed finish it and include Living In A Ghost Town on it... that just says everything left off is crap.

Not necessarily. It might mean that left out material simply does not suit the included songs, even if it is as good.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 25, 2021 15:51

I’d readily take a Stones cover reggae album.Now that would be awesome,with plenty of Keef lead vocals.

Date: December 26, 2021 21:29

Witness
GasLightStreet
ribbelchips

Not necessarily. It might mean that left out material simply does not suit the included songs, even if it is as good.

They've kind of done that before. Arguably some of the VOODOO B-sides were better than some LP tracks. But, as we know, musically some better tunes were left off VOODOO compared to what made the LP. Totally subjective, of course.

Through The Lonely Nights... even Everything Is Turning To Gold.

Date: December 27, 2021 00:32

GasLightStreet
Witness
GasLightStreet
ribbelchips

They've kind of done that before. Arguably some of the VOODOO B-sides were better than some LP tracks. But, as we know, musically some better tunes were left off VOODOO compared to what made the LP. Totally subjective, of course.

If the Stones really manage to finish and release one album more, meant as their great final studio album, according to stated ambition, the existence of other songs maybe as good or almost as good, but that have been left out in that manner, somehow might lead to the release of another studio album later on.

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: December 27, 2021 02:40

I don’t see why you can’t release whatever you have done, and fill it out with a few rock & blues covers to honor their influences. Would any fan complain about a 10 song album? Most fans are used to downloading songs these days.

Date: December 27, 2021 03:05

Gfmsoccer
I don’t see why you can’t release whatever you have done, and fill it out with a few rock & blues covers to honor their influences. Would any fan complain about a 10 song album? Most fans are used to downloading songs these days.

Well, it's not of importance as to what format the LP is released on, basically. Since they're most likely recording on Pro Tools, a vinyl release is just for the sake of having it.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 27, 2021 04:14

Witness
GasLightStreet
Witness
GasLightStreet
ribbelchips

If the Stones really manage to finish and release one album more, meant as their great final studio album, according to stated ambition, the existence of other songs maybe as good or almost as good, but that have been left out in that manner, somehow might lead to the release of another studio album later on.

Can we just get ONE new album without contemplating a Tattoo You Mk II-style second new album!!!???!!!

Rod

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2021 04:26

ribbelchips

There is no pressure. They could release an album of them farting for an hour and it wont taint their legacy one bit. They're almost 80. No one in their right mind expects a great album from anyone at that age.

They could also release the best album of their career and hardly anyone will care about it a month later.

The days of a Rolling Stones album being a major cultural event ended decades ago. Rock 'n' roll is an irrelevance in 2021.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: December 27, 2021 12:15

Mick is a perfectionist. I doubt he will release a Rolling Stones album that does not meet certain self-imposed quality standards. You may be nearly 80 years old and the range of your voice may have decreased or you aren't able to play certain guitar solo's anymore because of arthritis, your ears and a lifelong experience in the industry will tell you if a record is good or if it's crap. So year, there is some pressure. Maybe not from a record company or from newspapers and pop-magazines anymore, but I'm pretty sure the boys will put pressure on themselves..

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: December 27, 2021 19:30

Exile style release
Come on baby come to daddy

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 27, 2021 20:09

SW style release-cool smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 27, 2021 20:13

Gazza
ribbelchips

There is no pressure. They could release an album of them farting for an hour and it wont taint their legacy one bit. They're almost 80. No one in their right mind expects a great album from anyone at that age.

They could also release the best album of their career and hardly anyone will care about it a month later.

The days of a Rolling Stones album being a major cultural event ended decades ago. Rock 'n' roll is an irrelevance in 2021.

that is so true and to me it is obvious that all this caution (compared with prolific acts the almost/same age like neil young or bob dylan) comes also from the fact that they are the first to believe in this illusion: the relevance of a new rock and roll album, of a new rolling stones album

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 27, 2021 20:47

Leonard Cohen was a prolific artist in later years

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2021 21:00

ribbelchips
Mick is a perfectionist. I doubt he will release a Rolling Stones album that does not meet certain self-imposed quality standards. You may be nearly 80 years old and the range of your voice may have decreased or you aren't able to play certain guitar solo's anymore because of arthritis, your ears and a lifelong experience in the industry will tell you if a record is good or if it's crap. So year, there is some pressure. Maybe not from a record company or from newspapers and pop-magazines anymore, but I'm pretty sure the boys will put pressure on themselves..

The band has three songwriters. they've been working on this record for over 6 years. And have released one album of new material in the last 24. Or, if you like, 22 new songs in all of that time.

Thats not being a 'perfectionist' as there is no precedence for them taking ridiculous amounts of time to finish a record before. Its a reflection of having a lack of inspiration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-27 21:01 by Gazza.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 27, 2021 21:14

maumau
Gazza
ribbelchips

that is so true and to me it is obvious that all this caution (compared with prolific acts the almost/same age like neil young or bob dylan) comes also from the fact that they are the first to believe in this illusion: the relevance of a new rock and roll album, of a new rolling stones album

I am not that firm that they believe on any illusion. I think their obvious non-interest or lack of inspiration derives from the knowledge that whatever the album will be like - masterpiece or pure crap - it will not have any relevance or impact (like Gazza described). Probably they have realized this ages ago. Another option is an old romantic notion that 'to be an artist one should create something just for the sake of it', but I don't think the Stones have ever been pure artists in that romantic sense (unlike, say, people like Dylan, Young, Cohen, etc. are more like - the people they've been compared from time to time here). They've always been pretty pragmatic: whatever they do it must mean something, to have impact, some sort of relevance, a function. They don't do that to please their muse, but they do it for the people. Like they are not inspired to play on clubs or ballrooms for a handful of people, they are not inspired create music that people don't listen to (that pragmatically is meaningless).

- Doxa

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-27 21:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 28, 2021 01:16

yeah probably it is some kind of pragmatic laziness smiling smiley that also fits very well with their age and rightly so. maybe it is jagger chat and act that makes me think he still fancy a hit. one thing is for sure: they dont do that to please their muse, maybe there is no muse left to be pleased for them. I am thonknof keith and how much time it took to finish crosseyed heart. i love it but also it sounds like the very last drops
we'll see, in 2026 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 28, 2021 01:53

maumu
...we'll see, in 2026 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hopefully 2025, but yeah...2026. thumbs upwinking smiley

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 28, 2021 03:36

Doxa
Another option is an old romantic notion that 'to be an artist one should create something just for the sake of it', but I don't think the Stones have ever been pure artists in that romantic sense (unlike, say, people like Dylan, Young, Cohen, etc. are more like - the people they've been compared from time to time here). They've always been pretty pragmatic: whatever they do it must mean something, to have impact, some sort of relevance, a function. They don't do that to please their muse, but they do it for the people. Like they are not inspired to play on clubs or ballrooms for a handful of people, they are not inspired create music that people don't listen to (that pragmatically is meaningless).

- Doxa

Always hard to understand other peoples motivation or the definition of a pure artist. Whatever is appreciated could be considered as art, and they have certainly created their fair share through hard work and dedication. If they can create something they like, they will surely release it. Besides satisfying their fans pragmatically with shows, they probably won't release an album unless they feel like it...like true artists. Why should they give a damn if their new album will only be appreciated in 300 years time as long as they like it? The last albums have been forced to completion and I wonder how they really felt about them, now they can be true to themselves.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: December 28, 2021 11:17

Gazza
The band has three songwriters. they've been working on this record for over 6 years. And have released one album of new material in the last 24. Or, if you like, 22 new songs in all of that time.

Thats not being a 'perfectionist' as there is no precedence for them taking ridiculous amounts of time to finish a record before. Its a reflection of having a lack of inspiration.

Both can be true right? You can have a lack of inspiration AND be critical about the stuff you did write.

When you have to make an album because of the contract you signed with a record label, you have to record 12 songs before the end of a certain period. And then you probably put (filler) songs on it that you don't really like.

Songwriting is a creative proces. Especially when you already wrote/recorded hundreds of songs. At a certain point, the well starts running dry. And when you're in your late seventies, can you still convincingly sing about all those rock & roll clichés like raising hell, falling in love with a teenage girl or making love with your best friends wife? Not only the well runs dry, the number of wells to drink from is decreasing too...

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 28, 2021 11:50

How many sickly excuses for an album of rock'n roll...Almost 17 years from the last one...Bah...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 28, 2021 12:21

Blue & Lonesome is the perfect last album. In a way I hope it stays that way.
Full circle.

They can use their new songs as singles... like Ghost Town... or as bonus tracks on long awaited greatest hits albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-28 12:22 by BowieStone.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 28, 2021 12:49

I think we’ll see whatever has been finished on future reissues as bonus tracks. Don’t think there’s a full album.

Date: December 28, 2021 13:12

Doxa
I am not that firm that they believe on any illusion. I think their obvious non-interest or lack of inspiration derives from the knowledge that whatever the album will be like - masterpiece or pure crap - it will not have any relevance or impact (like Gazza described). Probably they have realized this ages ago. Another option is an old romantic notion that 'to be an artist one should create something just for the sake of it', but I don't think the Stones have ever been pure artists in that romantic sense (unlike, say, people like Dylan, Young, Cohen, etc. are more like - the people they've been compared from time to time here). They've always been pretty pragmatic: whatever they do it must mean something, to have impact, some sort of relevance, a function. They don't do that to please their muse, but they do it for the people. Like they are not inspired to play on clubs or ballrooms for a handful of people, they are not inspired create music that people don't listen to (that pragmatically is meaningless).

- Doxa

My guess is that their attitude comes from the kind of band that they are, and that they were in their formative years, whatever they in periods also may have been. They were vitally a live band, and in addition a live band, whose achievements were dependent on feedback from their audiences. When they started to create their own songs, that process was coloured by their wish and deep need to play at least some of the recorded material live and obtain the same feedback in concert.

If correctly interpretated, this was a marked contrast to bands, groups and outfits, to whom that the making of records might or might not result in songs played live, and where the creators would follow their muse, regardless at this stage of the creative process, towards the question if a listening public would like the music or not, played in concerts. Such an attitude largely would not apply to the Rolling Stones. Instead, their future audiences were not and are not isolated from the Stones. That would tend to make creation and the following reception to some degree an issue hanging together for this band. There would have to be an audience for their studio music and their live playing of songs therefrom, otherwise it would have scarcer worth. It might be their former or current audiences or a new audience as they could be able to make by a renewage of their fan base.

I don't know how Bob Dylan suit within such a distinction. I suppose that where the Stones are dependent on some kind of feedback from their audiences, Bob Dylan is not. That way he may both be following his muse, but still as much also be a performing act.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 28, 2021 13:54

Doxa
maumau
Gazza
ribbelchips

- Doxa

It's a tempting way to interpret it. And it might be true, but I not sure about it though. Living in a ghost town did make an impact. And I still believe that we will have the new album in spring.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 28, 2021 15:52

Doxa
I think their obvious non-interest or lack of inspiration derives from the knowledge that whatever the album will be like - masterpiece or pure crap - it will not have any relevance or impact (like Gazza described). Probably they have realized this ages ago.

I guess anyone who has survived from the 60s unto today has meanwhile realized that no matter what they release these days, it will not even come close to the relevance their stuff had decades ago, be it the Stones, Neil Young, Dylan, Deep Purple or whoever else. Even if they released a piece of work that would have been an instant classic, say, in the time between 1969 and 1973, it would never receive that status today. I think that even holds for young artists, popular music generally doesn’t have the (social, cultural, ...) relevance any longer it had in the 60s or 70s.

Gazza
The band has three songwriters.

Three potential songwriters - yes, but it seems to me that in real life the band has nowadays one and a half songwriters at best. I don't think the Glimmers ever considered Ronnie a serious potential contributor, and Keith mocking Mick for being prolific tells its own story (after all, it was Keith who claimed to have written 130 songs for Voodoo Lounge). Judging from what Mick says concerning his songwriting activities, he doesn't need contributions from Keith (or Ronnie) to fill an album. But he can’t bypass Keith. And Ronnie, I recall an interview from the time when 40 Licks was put together where Ronnie spoke about his struggle with Mick to have at least one Jagger/Richards/Wood song on that compilation (and I can’t actually remember whether he was successful in the end, haven’t taken 40L out of the shelf almost since it came out ...).

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 28, 2021 16:29

I'm also to lazy to look it up, but I suggest that Losing My Touch could just as well have been Jagger/Richards/Wood as Jagger/Richards

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...486487488489490491492493494495496...LastNext
Current Page: 491 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1412
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home