Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...478479480481482483484485486487488...LastNext
Current Page: 483 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 10, 2021 09:34

georgelicks
Doxa
Hmm... The latest turn of this thread seems to be bashing "Living in A Ghost Town"...

I predict that the new album (if and when it will be released) will be a huge disappointment for many people, since I am afraid it is not going to be a new EXILE...

- Doxa

For some regular visitors on this thread the last good Stones song was Waiting On A Friend or something from Exile...but they want (demand) a new album at any cost, every day, waiting to bash it a couple of weeks/days after the release, just like any new song/album from the past years/decades.

"I don’t want it to just be a good album, I want it to be great. I’m very hard on myself if I write something or do something with Keith. It’s gotta be great, it can’t just be good. We’ve been recording and we’ve got some really great stuff, but don’t hold your breath”. MJ

If you say "great stuff" for a new Stones album and then release a useless solo song like "Ghost Town"...the problem is not the criticism but the quality of the songs and what is meant by "great stuff".
And as someone already said, let's be thankful that Gotta Get a Grip and England Lost won't be on the new album, because they are not 'great stuff'...and not even good.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 10, 2021 09:45

ProfessorWolf

Re: New Stones album for 2021? new
Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: September 9, 2021 16:20

Ghost Town was of course a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the pandemic. I wonder if the song would have made it to the album otherwise. But now they kinda have to add it smiling smiley

When I hear it now, it's a b-side at best. But what is fair to expect from a bunch of 75+ year olds who already recorded like 400+ songs. Most bands don't have the inspiration the write a quarter of that.

that was kind of my feeling seems that mick felt he needed to say something at that moment and this was avaliable for him to work with

If we look at the latest Mick's releases they all have a common theme that he seemed to have felt something urgent to say - "Gotta Get A Grip", "England Lost", "Living In A Ghost Town", "Eazy Sleazy" (we could add that little blues snippet commenting Trump at the election times) - is he tired singing about chasing pussy (or being chased by it) or what's behind the muse of Mick suddenly going social commentary and existentialism? And unlike the Stones album that seems to aim at perfection and takes time, he almost rushed them out.

Well, probably when they get their 'Chinese Democracy' finally out, we will hear good old 'staring at your tits' and 'sparks will fly' poetry again... add there Keith's 'baby baby baby' dylanism, we will have a treat..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-10 10:05 by Doxa.

Date: September 10, 2021 10:28

Doxa
ProfessorWolf

Ghost Town was of course a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the pandemic. I wonder if the song would have made it to the album otherwise. But now they kinda have to add it smiling smiley

When I hear it now, it's a b-side at best. But what is fair to expect from a bunch of 75+ year olds who already recorded like 400+ songs. Most bands don't have the inspiration the write a quarter of that.

that was kind of my feeling seems that mick felt he needed to say something at that moment and this was avaliable for him to work with

If we look at the latest Mick's releases they all have a common theme that he seemed to have felt something urgent to say - "Gotta Get A Grip", "England Lost", "Living In A Ghost Town", "Eazy Sleazy" (we could add that little blues snippet commenting Trump at the election times) - is he tired singing about chasing pussy (or being chased by it) or what's behind the muse of Mick suddenly going social commentary and existentialism? And unlike the Stones album that seems to aim at perfection and takes time, he almost rushed them out.

Well, probably when they get their 'Chinese Democracy' finally out, we will hear good old 'staring at your tits' and 'sparks will fly' poetry again... add there Keith's 'baby baby baby' dylanism, we will have a treat..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Add 'Doom and Gloom' to the list of solo songs!
The lyrics are objectively trite and uninspired, but no one expects another Simpathy or Jig Saw Puzzle or some Dylan's masterpieces!
I'm much more interested in the musical aspect and arrangements of the songs....and those songs are also musically trite and uninspired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-10 10:29 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 10, 2021 11:22

Hairball
A couple of things to be grateful for are that Micks solo singles Getta Grip and England Lost (and the useless remixes) will not be on a new Stones album.

Entering repetition time to obtain some balance.

You may remain thankful for that. And I may be as thankful that not any of the songs on CROSSEYED HEART, as they are, will bore me, included on a Stones album, if there will be one more Stones album. Not excluding, however, that Mick Jagger could have infused life in songs therefrom. Whereas Keith Richard might have been able to add something valuable to the two songs, released under Mick's name, songs that I all the same find good and interesting, as they are, but not great.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 10, 2021 11:49

I look forward to see the setlists from the forthcoming concerts in the US. The warhorses will dominate, off course, but maybe they grab the oppurtunity to premiere a new song from the forthcoming album, just like when they played Brown Sugar on the 69-tour.

Date: September 10, 2021 12:04

Wandering Spirit is the only solo album by Mick, Keith and Ronnie that comes close to the true Rolling Stones quality. Talk is Cheap has some great tunes on it too, but the rest of them? Mediocre at best.

Gotta Get a Grip and England's Lost are rubbish. Even worse than Dancing in the Starlight or Lucky Day from GITD. It worries me that Mick thought it would be a good idea to release those songs. And even to release them as a double A side single grinning smiley

Date: September 10, 2021 12:11

makemeburnthecandle
Doxa
Hmm... The latest turn of this thread seems to be bashing "Living in A Ghost Town"...

I predict that the new album (if and when it will be released) will be a huge disappointment for many people, since I am afraid it is not going to be a new EXILE...

- Doxa

Being the reasonable person that I am I’m only expecting it to be a new Some Girls.

Realism is never out of fashion!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: September 10, 2021 12:11

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

- Doxa

Then why reflect anyway?

Reflection is never out of fashion!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: September 10, 2021 12:12

GetYerAngie
I look forward to see the setlists from the forthcoming concerts in the US. The warhorses will dominate, off course, but maybe they grab the oppurtunity to premiere a new song from the forthcoming album, just like when they played Brown Sugar on the 69-tour.

Idealism is never out of fashion!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 10, 2021 12:22

Fully Finished has been
keepin this kid alive ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 10, 2021 12:28

Doxa
ProfessorWolf

- Doxa

Jagger should take some of my lyrics. I’ve written some good ones the past year.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 10, 2021 12:40

JumpingKentFlash

Jagger should take some of my lyrics. I’ve written some good ones the past year.

Sorry, Kent, that's not good enough. They need to be great...

- Doxa

Date: September 10, 2021 13:24

Doxa
JumpingKentFlash

- Doxa

That's right, Mick said so!
Only "great stuff"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-10 13:25 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 10, 2021 14:20

Doxa
JumpingKentFlash

- Doxa

Lol, ok I have a few great ones as well

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 10, 2021 15:05

Doxa
GetYerAngie

- Doxa

Ha ha! No never - especially not with The Glimmer Twins...
But it could be a tempting strategic move to make - considering the set back with Steve Jordan as a stand in - to direct the attention to a glimpse of the (near?) future and honour Charlies latest contribution to the band.

Date: September 10, 2021 16:15

GetYerAngie
Doxa
GetYerAngie

- Doxa

But it could be a tempting strategic move to make - considering the set back with Steve Jordan as a stand in - to direct the attention to a glimpse of the (near?) future and honour Charlies latest contribution to the band.

Actually my idealism looks even further... Was thinking how cool it would be to write a tribute song to Charlie for the upcoming album. Since it is the Stones no any sentimental stuff works for them, but what about some cool jazz tune - a Jagger/Richards original for sure, but play it as a pure jazz, using the resources the band already has, Tim Ries, Darryl, etc. Something Charlie would appreciate. An instrumental or a jazzy Mick and Keith duet...

Mick, are you listening?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-10 16:21 by Doxa.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 10, 2021 17:03

Doxa

Actually my idealism looks even further... Was thinking how cool it would be to write a tribute song to Charlie for the upcoming album. Since it is the Stones no any sentimental stuff works for them, but what about some cool jazz tune - a Jagger/Richards original for sure, but play it as a pure jazz, using the resources the band already has, Tim Ries, Darryl, etc. Something Charlie would appreciate. An instrumental or a jazzy Mick and Keith duet...

- Doxa

This would be a great way to honor Charlie.
As it seems likely most (all?) of whatever songs on the new album are either already in the can, or work in progresses, I wonder if there's anything Charlie has worked on that could be reworked. Either that or a duet as you mentioned, as the new album will hopefully have Charlie on every track.

As you point out, they're not sentimental, but also already wondering about the album cover. They wouldn't want to appear to be capitalizing on Charlie's passing, but an alt take on the GYYYO cover or similar might work well.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 10, 2021 21:00

It has already done, how can i stop

Date: September 10, 2021 21:24

Doxa
GetYerAngie
Doxa
GetYerAngie

- Doxa

- Doxa

Yeah, that would be cool! Actually - I might be naive - I think there is a chance that they will do something in that vein.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-10 22:04 by GetYerAngie.

Date: September 10, 2021 22:31

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

- Doxa

Then why reflect anyway?

Reflection is never out of fashion!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Well, in the given context I thought... but you're right of course.winking smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 10, 2021 22:54

Charlies drum parts have been done. In a studio setting once the drums are recorded it is rare they need re-recorded. If that is the case the whole song might as well have to be re-cut.

A group can record the drums and work on a song with new vocals .. new guitar parts .. all kinds of things and reshape the song some welllllll after the drums have been laid down. In fact .. half of the time this is the process.

With that in mind .. Charlies parts have been done. Charlie said so himself.
Keith and Mick were still working on the songs.

They did a load of different sessions on the material over the last .. what 5/6 years. Hopefully .. hopefully they can release an album next year with Charlie playing on all songs as was said here. I don't think that is a stretch or would be difficult from a technical approach at all.. In fact.. Charlie may not of needed to go back into the studio even if he was alive and healthy .. as far as the material they worked over the last five years or so ...his parts are done.

*** Maybbe ... juuuuuuust maybe we will get one final great Stones album with Charlie on board as was originally the plan.

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-10 22:58 by IanBillen.

Date: September 10, 2021 23:38

True, Ian, but I got the impression from Mick's sayings last year that they still need to do some more sessions as a whole band, something they couldn't then do due the lockdown. Depending on the source (Keith, Ron, Was?) they at the time had 5 to 7 songs already in the can, that is, songs selected to be good enough to be released (probably 'great' in Mick's terms). I take that to mean that they have more (new, not yet recorded) songs for which they still need to make the backing tracks, or recut the old ones, so Charlie's contribution is probably still missing there.

They surely have made more tracks - or recorded something - along the years, but it looks like they've not been satisfied with the results. That is, lots have been rejected. When Charlie ironically asked a couple of years (?) ago, 'what happened to that album', I am afraid that that was what happened.

But honestly, I don't know anything. Just trying to make some sense out of all these odd cues..

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-10 23:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 11, 2021 00:18

Doxa
True, Ian, but I got the impression from Mick's sayings last year that they still need to do some more sessions as a whole band, something they couldn't then do due the lockdown. Depending on the source (Keith, Ron, Was?) they at the time had 5 to 7 songs already in the can, that is, songs selected to be good enough to be released (probably 'great' in Mick's terms). I take that to mean that they have more (new, not yet recorded) songs for which they still need to make the backing tracks, or recut the old ones, so Charlie's contribution is probably still missing there.

They surely have made more tracks - or recorded something - along the years, but it looks like they've not been satisfied with the results. That is, lots have been rejected. When Charlie ironically asked a couple of years (?) ago, 'what happened to that album', I am afraid that that was what happened.

But honestly, I don't know anything. Just trying to make some sense out of all these odd cues..

- Doxa

Yes I see your point. Charlie said in the same interview that Mick and Keith were growing them still and that they wont release an album until they are satisfied with it.

In that regard Charlies bits were done and he was not needed at that point to complete the record (Mick and Keith were still working with it).

Then as you stated and a while after this Mick said he wished The band had a couple more sessions in order to finiah the album off .. So Mick evidently felt there was more to do on the bottom end.

I know one thing .. Charlie said like in 2019 they did loads of sessions on this album so far.

Who knows where they are or what they have but Ive saw (read) 8-20 and 40 songs they had recorded.

How good they are is anyones guess. They waited far too long to get another album out and now look .. Charlies time has passed. Not that its all I or they care about .. but when a band drags their feet for FIFTEEN YEARS .. they miss
opportunities. There is nobody to blame but Keith and Mick that Charlie may not get to finish their final record with them as a band (lets hope what they already have is optimal).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-11 00:20 by IanBillen.

Date: September 11, 2021 00:59

My guess is that we will see more than one album. I think what has been going on can be compared to the Some Girls-sessions, just of course in another tempo.

Date: September 11, 2021 01:11

.... hey yeah Angie ....
Great ta see some positivity around here

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 11, 2021 02:44

Allegedly Charlie did a session with Mick and Ronnie a few months ago at Ronnie's home studio. Keith did overdubs at Germano.

Date: September 11, 2021 03:11

Mmmmmmmmmmm .... lets pray its true ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 11, 2021 03:43

Would be nice if the tune that features Charlie during his last session becomes the Stones' next release.
Even if the tune itself isn't finished, release as standalone drum track at the end of the new album...would be quite a tribute......

I think the Charlatans (UK) did something like that after their keyboard player passed away - a final track on an album of his last session...might have even been isolated keyboard solo jam, will have to look it up.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 12, 2021 00:55

The Stones did it (sort of) when Stu passed - the hidden track on DW. I always considered this a (for lack of a better word) nice and respectful statement by the band. A similar thing (additional track) with a characteristic piece of Charlie's drumming from the last session(s) would certainly seem appropriate to me.

As for potentially overdubbing Charlie's drums in the course of completing certain unfinished songs, I guess this depends on what state the songs are in. If it's just for the much-debated "finishing touches"there is certainly no need to do something about the drum track. If a song exists only as a rough demo some additioal drum work may be necessary.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 12, 2021 01:31

Date: September 10, 2021 12:04

Wandering Spirit is the only solo album by Mick, Keith and Ronnie that comes close to the true Rolling Stones quality. Talk is Cheap has some great tunes on it too, but the rest of them? Mediocre at best.

Gotta Get a Grip and England's Lost are rubbish. Even worse than Dancing in the Starlight or Lucky Day from GITD. It worries me that Mick thought it would be a good idea to release those songs. And even to release them as a double A side single grinning smiley

just out of curiosity what made you disqualify ronnie's i got my own album to do

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...478479480481482483484485486487488...LastNext
Current Page: 483 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home