Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...477478479480481482483484485486487...LastNext
Current Page: 482 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 7, 2021 01:38

The double album idea was also around some 200 pages ago. Like, a Keith-dominated CD and a Mick-dominated CD. But it doesn't seem like they are interested in such an obvious compromise. They could have called it "Use Your Infusions I & II", though ...

Another two-album-solution: CD1: "No Filler", CD2: "No Filter". CD1: Only the truly totally real great stuff, all fillers being filtered out (might be a rather short CD, though ...). CD2: As the name says, no filter applied here, so this one preserves for posterity all the songs that didn't make the cut for CD1 ...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 7, 2021 03:03

doitywoik
The double album idea was also around some 200 pages ago. Like, a Keith-dominated CD and a Mick-dominated CD. But it doesn't seem like they are interested in such an obvious compromise. They could have called it "Use Your Infusions I & II", though ...

Another two-album-solution: CD1: "No Filler", CD2: "No Filter". CD1: Only the truly totally real great stuff, all fillers being filtered out (might be a rather short CD, though ...). CD2: As the name says, no filter applied here, so this one preserves for posterity all the songs that didn't make the cut for CD1 ...

thumbs up

A double album...sounds good on paper, but not sure they have enough material since the "hitting the wall" scenario a few years ago...
They could call it Wall to Wall...three sides of silence, and one side of a a jackhammer or a wrecking ball smashing a brick wall in to pieces...

Proposed album cover:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-07 03:04 by Hairball.

Date: September 7, 2021 16:30

thumbs up
(More) seriously speaking, a double CD seems rather unlikely to me as well. Judging from what one hears/reads about the number of songs that have actually been (more or less) finished until now, it will rather be an EP (and with Ghost Town already released, maybe a short EP even).

ribbelchips
"classic drug fueled Stones", ...

Well, it wasn’t told fuelled by which drugs. Considering their age there might have been slight changes over time … like, nowadays rather drugs that help with constipation or other digestive problems, or blood pressure or the like … winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2021 16:57

doitywoik
thumbs up
(More) seriously speaking, a double CD seems rather unlikely to me as well. Judging from what one hears/reads about the number of songs that have actually been (more or less) finished until now, it will rather be an EP (and with Ghost Town already released, maybe a short EP even).

ribbelchips
"classic drug fueled Stones", ...

Well, it wasn’t told fuelled by which drugs. Considering their age there might have been slight changes over time … like, nowadays rather drugs that help with constipation or other digestive problems, or blood pressure or the like … winking smiley

certainly a statin would be in the mix.

Date: September 7, 2021 18:28

Based on the way the nasty pandemic has been evolving with Delta, I'd say a Living in a Ghost Town PT. II would be an appropriate next single. Surely Mick could slap together some new lyrics (or use some unused leftover verses from the first version), and they must have some sort of backing track by now?. Or maybe dig out an oldie from the vaults and give it a new life w/new lyrics and overdubs ala Tattoo You.
Or even just an extended remix version of the original - something would be better than nothing...something with Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie...

Date: September 8, 2021 00:01

... or do a collage of verses from existing songs, now in a covid context winking smiley "I'm driving through a ghost town" could be coupled with "I ran 20 red lights in its (i.e. Covid's) honour and no-one gave a damn" ... The girl with the faraway eyes would then be a zombie (kinda post-Covid existence) one a plane going down, so Mick can should her together with a horde of zombies (i.e. attendants of a Ted Nugent concert that had been unvaxxed and unmasked) and come out on top ... gosh, endless possibilities ... winking smiley

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 9, 2021 01:17

Irix
ribbelchips

Does Charlie actually play on Ghost Town, by the way? It sounds more like a drum computer

"Charlie Watts: Drums." - according to the Credits: Amazon picture , [www.Qobuz.com] - (i)-Button.

Maybe it's a bit 'electronically processed' - like partly Mick's voice (Vocoder).
Probably processed, and also the drumsound is much more dry than what we are used to.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 9, 2021 14:52

"Don't hold your breath!We recorded a bunch of tracks at the same time we did Ghost Town ... actually I've been finishing off the vocals and some other instruments on them, and doing some mixes on them. So I'm working on it." MJ, July 2020

[www.iheart.com]

"I don’t want it to just be a good album, I want it to be great. I’m very hard on myself if I write something or do something with Keith. It’s gotta be great, it can’t just be good. We’ve been recording and we’ve got some really great stuff, but don’t hold your breath”.

[americansongwriter.com]

Let's hope we don't hear another Mick's solo album with Stones brand like A Bigger Bang (and Doom and Gloom).
The first song (Ghost Town) unfortunately confirms these feelings...and it's not 'great stuff' neither 'good'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-09 14:54 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 9, 2021 15:06

Hairball
Based on the way the nasty pandemic has been evolving with Delta, I'd say a Living in a Ghost Town PT. II would be an appropriate next single. Surely Mick could slap together some new lyrics (or use some unused leftover verses from the first version), and they must have some sort of backing track by now?. Or maybe dig out an oldie from the vaults and give it a new life w/new lyrics and overdubs ala Tattoo You.
Or even just an extended remix version of the original - something would be better than nothing...something with Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie...

Yes, but 'Ghost Town' is in reference to the various lockdown's globally. It's been around 10 months since the last lockdown in England, and I really, quite frankly, don't want a reminder!

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: September 9, 2021 16:20

Ghost Town was of course a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the pandemic. I wonder if the song would have made it to the album otherwise. But now they kinda have to add it smiling smiley

When I hear it now, it's a b-side at best. But what is fair to expect from a bunch of 75+ year olds who already recorded like 400+ songs. Most bands don't have the inspiration the write a quarter of that.

Date: September 9, 2021 16:30

Hairball

Love the idea, match it to a four on the floor beat...

If I Was A Ghost Town (Living In A Ghost Town Pt. 2)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 9, 2021 16:46

ribbelchips
Ghost Town was of course a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the pandemic. I wonder if the song would have made it to the album otherwise. But now they kinda have to add it smiling smiley

When I hear it now, it's a b-side at best. But what is fair to expect from a bunch of 75+ year olds who already recorded like 400+ songs. Most bands don't have the inspiration the write a quarter of that.

Ghost Town would have been a decent song on Goddess in the Doorway or in a new Mick's solo album...not on a Stones album that could be their last work and on which Mick has declared that he wants great stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-09 16:50 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 9, 2021 16:50

If it were not for the fact it's a bit of a Specials rip-off, I wouldn't remember how it goes, quite honestly. I'm not sure I've heard it since it's initial release. It was a somewhat relevant recording for the moment, but we've moved on from those times, surely. I have, anyway.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 9, 2021 20:00

Hmm... The latest turn of this thread seems to be bashing "Living in A Ghost Town"...

I predict that the new album (if and when it will be released) will be a huge disappointment for many people, since I am afraid it is not going to be a new EXILE...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-09 20:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 9, 2021 20:15

Doxa
Hmm... The latest turn of this thread seems to be bashing "Living in A Ghost Town"...

I predict that the new album (if and when it will be released) will be a huge disappointment for many people, since I am afraid it is not going to be a new EXILE...

- Doxa

For some regular visitors on this thread the last good Stones song was Waiting On A Friend or something from Exile...but they want (demand) a new album at any cost, every day, waiting to bash it a couple of weeks/days after the release, just like any new song/album from the past years/decades.

Date: September 9, 2021 20:43

Doxa

- Doxa

Being the reasonable person that I am I’m only expecting it to be a new Some Girls.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 9, 2021 20:54

I'm sure some of us would settle for another "dirty work"winking smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 9, 2021 21:25

Stop bashing. I enjoy ABB, doom and gloom, Ghost,.,..everything sounds good to me. Of course sre better songs and albums. But the essence and attitude is there

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 9, 2021 21:34

Ghost Town is great. Sure, it's Specials reminiscent, but how many artists are releasing Covid related songs? Last time I checked it was only the Stones, and Mick and Dave Grohl.

Date: September 9, 2021 22:38

Not sure what some people are listing to, but other than the title Living in a Ghost Town and some of the lyrical themes, there's really no similarities musically to the Specials' Ghost Town.

Personally I prefer the Specials tune for a variety of reasons (it's part of the soundtrack for my senior year in High School '81),
but the Stones Living in a Ghost Town is a mighty fine tune of the latter era. It's very Stonesy...what's not to like about it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-09 22:40 by Hairball.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 9, 2021 22:40

24FPS
Ghost Town is great. Sure, it's Specials reminiscent, but how many artists are releasing Covid related songs? Last time I checked it was only the Stones, and Mick and Dave Grohl.

Eric Clapton, Van Morrison

Date: September 9, 2021 22:46

From March 2020:

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 10, 2021 01:39

Re: New Stones album for 2021? new
Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: September 9, 2021 16:20

that was kind of my feeling seems that mick felt he needed to say something at that moment and this was avaliable for him to work with

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 10, 2021 01:48

i would hope that if anything good could possibly come out of charlies passing maybe in there shared grief mick and keith could empathize with each others pain regarding his loss and use that to help rebuild there friendship or at least there working relationship and be able write songs together in the same room again and maybe become more productive in the studio not just the new album but maybe furture music as well
i know its really unlikley but i couldn't think of another event that could possibly bring them together again

Date: September 10, 2021 02:27

Doxa

- Doxa

Then why reflect anyway?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 10, 2021 03:04

georgelicks
Doxa

- Doxa

For some regular visitors on this thread the last good Stones song was Waiting On A Friend or something from Exile...but they want (demand) a new album at any cost, every day, waiting to bash it a couple of weeks/days after the release, just like any new song/album from the past years/decades.

As the Stones themselves this time around have seemed set on achieving an album of some quality, I for one have certain expectations that it can be verging on a semi-great album, like BRIDGES TO BABYLON, but, beyond that, some slight hopes that it may even be great, with EMOTIONAL RESCUE, in case, as reasonable measuring stick for greatness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-10 03:06 by Witness.

Date: September 10, 2021 03:44

A couple of things to be grateful for are that Micks solo singles Getta Grip and England Lost (and the useless remixes) will not be on a new Stones album.

Date: September 10, 2021 03:47

Hairball
A couple of things to be grateful for are that Micks solo singles Getta Grip and England Lost (and the useless remixes) will not be on a new Stones album.

OK fair enough, though there was one mix of Gotta Getta Grip I heard which was surprisingly good. Can't recall which it was.

On the other hand, would have loved to have Easy Sleazy get the Stones treatment.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 10, 2021 06:22

For some regular visitors on this thread the last good Stones song was Waiting On A Friend or something from Exile...but they want (demand) a new album at any cost, every day, waiting to bash it a couple of weeks/days after the release, just like any new song/album from the past years/decades.[/quote]

As the Stones themselves this time around have seemed set on achieving an album of some quality, I for one have certain expectations that it can be verging on a semi-great album, like BRIDGES TO BABYLON, but, beyond that, some slight hopes that it may even be great, with EMOTIONAL RESCUE, in case, as reasonable measuring stick for greatness.[/quote]

Come on. At this point we will most likely get an album with one great Stones single, and maybe three or four more songs worth listening to more than once. That's just the way it is. That's pretty much what A Bigger Bang gave us. SIXTEEN YEARS AGO! I'm not expecting much, so I can only be pleasantly surprised. They still need product, so the archives will continue to be open. That's where the real meat is.

Date: September 10, 2021 09:18

frankotero
I'm sure some of us would settle for another "dirty work"winking smiley

Let's face it. At this point we would be over the moon if it was smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...477478479480481482483484485486487...LastNext
Current Page: 482 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10