Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...476477478479480481482483484485486...LastNext
Current Page: 481 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 12, 2021 06:22

What we don't know:

That Mick has worked on songs, for certain, for the new Stones LP, in the last year plus.

Same with whoever else.

What we do know:

Mick has worked on songs for the new LP... and TATTOO YOU.

We've read/heard ABC about 'need to record more'.

Fine.

But there's a lot to be drawn from.

Charlie is not done.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 22, 2021 06:45

I just had a crazy idea for the new album, which, presumably, will be their last. They went back to their roots with B&L, so why don’t they go back again and this time have Loog produce the album!?!???! He can do one of his famous write ups to accompany it and have them stretch themselves in a way that isn’t Rubin-esque.

Thoughts??

Date: August 22, 2021 08:25

VoodooLounge13
I just had a crazy idea for the new album, which, presumably, will be their last. They went back to their roots with B&L, so why don’t they go back again and this time have Loog produce the album!?!???! He can do one of his famous write ups to accompany it and have them stretch themselves in a way that isn’t Rubin-esque.

Thoughts??

That's interesting.

However, seeing that it will be their last new LP, based on Mick, if Daniel Lanois were to work with the Stones, the new LP wouldn't be ready for another 10 years.

And that's a more likely case than them working with Loog again.

But one never knows, right?

Eh... we do know, actually, and it's only Don Was. Afterall, seeing that's he's produced their previous 4 studio albums, why change now, even after 28 years (recording time)?

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: August 22, 2021 12:30

@Georgelicks

Does UMG waits hopefully a new studio album of originals next year?!...Any chance that it will see the light...Any rumors about it?!Thanks!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 22, 2021 18:33

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Thoughts??

That's interesting.

However, seeing that it will be their last new LP, based on Mick, if Daniel Lanois were to work with the Stones, the new LP wouldn't be ready for another 10 years.

And that's a more likely case than them working with Loog again.

But one never knows, right?

Eh... we do know, actually, and it's only Don Was. Afterall, seeing that's he's produced their previous 4 studio albums, why change now, even after 28 years (recording time)?

I was just reading some descriptions of their older stuff as I'm trying to access the holes in my collection, and it talks about Loog prying different things out of them, which brought the idea to me. I know Rubin did something similar to Mick in a way that he didn't like, and given how much success he had had with them in the early days, I think it could be fun. Hell, while we are dreaming, how about bringing in Mick T and Bill for the recording sessions, too, and really having one hell of a final swan song. Not just for one song, but for the whole album. Have both Ronnie and T and Keef playing guitar. Loog produce, and call the album, Jonesing for Stew, and BOOM, it's all come full circle!!!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 26, 2021 01:29

One way to honour Charlie's legacy would be for them to seriously think about finally releasing at least some songs from the new album sessions. These were possibly the last sessions he played on, the last gifts he had for us.

Date: August 26, 2021 01:49

doitywoik
One way to honour Charlie's legacy would be for them to seriously think about finally releasing at least some songs from the new album sessions. These were possibly the last sessions he played on, the last gifts he had for us.

I was thinking about that today. Regardless of if they record new songs with Jordan to add to it, if they even need to, it would be great if they released whatever they have. As originally intended.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 26, 2021 08:33

doitywoik

thumbs up

Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Date: September 4, 2021 23:25

Bungo
I'm sure no one will believe this but I'm gonna lay it out there anyway :

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

This is still my prefer post about the new album

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2021 01:26

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation ....

WHAT!!! ... NO sex ... how boring ....... HHuuhhHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: September 5, 2021 04:44

GasLightStreet
doitywoik

I was thinking about that today. Regardless of if they record new songs with Jordan to add to it, if they even need to, it would be great if they released whatever they have. As originally intended.

Another possibility could be to tack on a "hidden" track at the end of the new album, a snippet isolating Charlie's talents in a similar manner to when they had paid tribute to Ian Stewart at the conclusion of the Dirty Work album.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 6, 2021 05:15

Ah, the never ending thread has been revived. Page 481. We may not make it to 500 pages about nothing, but darn it, let's try.

Date: September 6, 2021 09:05

About 300 pages ago a double album was about to be released! Then the new album was done. Then 6/7 new songs were done. Then they had "half an album of new material". Then Mick made 40 demos and Keef some "dynamite riffs". Then they "hit the wall". Then they wanted only great stuff...but 'Living in a Ghost Town' it's only a decent Mick's solo song.
Then...what happened to the new album?!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 09:25 by KRiffhard.

Re: Another Stones studio album in 2021
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 6, 2021 10:57

KRiffhard
Bungo
I'm sure no one will believe this but I'm gonna lay it out there anyway :

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

This is still my prefer post about the new album

If this holds true, instead of having a release blocked by this typical disagreement, I would suggest another solution. Make it a double album release, consisting of one record with and another record without the said "silly" "techno pop rubbish". Or, if the finished music is more scarce, make the release a double maxi after the same formula.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 10:59 by Witness.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 6, 2021 12:35

Yeah KRiffhard, I remember Bungo's post clearly too. Love the idea, don't believe the reality.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: September 6, 2021 13:28

"classic drug fueled Stones", "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile" and "Make it a double album release, consisting of one record with and another record without the said "silly" "techno pop rubbish"

And then you releas "Ghost Town" as the first single? Doesn't make any sense.

Does Charlie actually play on Ghost Town, by the way? It sounds more like a drum computer

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2021 15:21

ribbelchips

Does Charlie actually play on Ghost Town, by the way? It sounds more like a drum computer

"Charlie Watts: Drums." - according to the Credits: Amazon picture , [www.Qobuz.com] - (i)-Button.

Maybe it's a bit 'electronically processed' - like partly Mick's voice (Vocoder).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 19:10 by Irix.

Date: September 6, 2021 15:38

ribbelchips
"classic drug fueled Stones", "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile" and "Make it a double album release, consisting of one record with and another record without the said "silly" "techno pop rubbish"

And then you releas "Ghost Town" as the first single? Doesn't make any sense.

Does Charlie actually play on Ghost Town, by the way? It sounds more like a drum computer[/quote
]

It seems a programmed drum machine.

Date: September 6, 2021 15:58

<It seems a programmed drum machine>

It's definitely Charlie.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 6, 2021 16:19

If they have a finished album I guess the tour start will be a good opportunity to release it. If not that maybe in time for Christmas. Otherwise the 2022 60th jubileum is the last chance.
If they haven't released it by then I guess there is no album to release...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 6, 2021 16:38

2027 - 65th anniversary.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 6, 2021 17:58

KRiffhard
About 300 pages ago a double album was about to be released! Then the new album was done. Then 6/7 new songs were done. Then they had "half an album of new material". Then Mick made 40 demos and Keef some "dynamite riffs". Then they "hit the wall". Then they wanted only great stuff...but 'Living in a Ghost Town' it's only a decent Mick's solo song.

The double album was new songs plus BLUE AND LONESOME. They broke BLUE AND LONESOME out because the new material wasn't ready. In all likelihood that last bit was rubbish. For over 20 years, Mick has come to sessions with fully-developed demos he prepares with Matt Clifford. The issue would really be Keith didn't like a lot of Mick's songs (Gotta Get a Grip, England Lost) and Mick didn't like Keith's riffs and unfinished ideas. Bringing in Steve Jordan over the past few years gives Keith someone to develop songs with and, surprisingly, Mick was sometimes present at the sessions with Steve at Germano. They're both at a point where they rely on other partners (Matt and Steve, respectively) to bring their ideas to fruition. Ronnie, who can generally be counted on to be the most honest to the press, mentioned giving them sufficient time to get their Glimmer Twins thing back. They have worked together, certainly. At some point it became apparent they would definitely never do another album other than this one (though posthumous releases are likely in the hands of Universal and Don Was). The original goal of 2016 became 2017, then 2018, 2019, and now hopefully 2022. It was to be called NO FILTER but that may be scrapped. If they're ready to finally let go, and I can't imagine losing Charlie and the pending 60th Anniversary won't be enough of an impetus, we should see some sort of release next year. It won't be everything. It won't live up to our unrealistic expectations though many will declare it is a return to form and that they think it is a classic for at least the first few months. At the end of the day, it's The Last Time as a playing band. Everything else will be more reheated leftovers.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 6, 2021 18:23

I'm suspecting that it's the Jagger/Richards songwriting credit that might be part of the holdup. I keep thinking of the rumored comment by John Lennon about wanting to end the Lennon/McCartney "fiction" after Abbey Road.

If they let Clifford, Jordan, and Wood into the songwriting credit mix, the record would have been done long ago. If they want to have a strict "all songs by Jagger/Richards" credit on their last record, we're going to have a long wait.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 6, 2021 18:59

Rocky Dijon
KRiffhard

The double album was new songs plus BLUE AND LONESOME. They broke BLUE AND LONESOME out because the new material wasn't ready. In all likelihood that last bit was rubbish. For over 20 years, Mick has come to sessions with fully-developed demos he prepares with Matt Clifford. The issue would really be Keith didn't like a lot of Mick's songs (Gotta Get a Grip, England Lost) and Mick didn't like Keith's riffs and unfinished ideas. Bringing in Steve Jordan over the past few years gives Keith someone to develop songs with and, surprisingly, Mick was sometimes present at the sessions with Steve at Germano. They're both at a point where they rely on other partners (Matt and Steve, respectively) to bring their ideas to fruition. Ronnie, who can generally be counted on to be the most honest to the press, mentioned giving them sufficient time to get their Glimmer Twins thing back. They have worked together, certainly. At some point it became apparent they would definitely never do another album other than this one (though posthumous releases are likely in the hands of Universal and Don Was). The original goal of 2016 became 2017, then 2018, 2019, and now hopefully 2022. It was to be called NO FILTER but that may be scrapped. If they're ready to finally let go, and I can't imagine losing Charlie and the pending 60th Anniversary won't be enough of an impetus, we should see some sort of release next year. It won't be everything. It won't live up to our unrealistic expectations though many will declare it is a return to form and that they think it is a classic for at least the first few months. At the end of the day, it's The Last Time as a playing band. Everything else will be more reheated leftovers.

thx

Date: September 6, 2021 19:30

Rocky Dijon
KRiffhard

Thanks Rocky thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 6, 2021 19:38

Interesting point about the songwriting credits.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 6, 2021 20:50

wonderboy
Interesting point about the songwriting credits.

yep

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 6, 2021 20:53

Thank you, Rocky Dijon.

So, we now know why the tour was named as such, it seems. I’d imagine - at some point - they must’ve been fairly convinced they’d have have had a product ready for release. Here’s hoping they can collectively focus and get this released. I don’t expect another tour, but a new studio album is, I think, something they should release. I’ll always find the prospect exciting; even if I know it won’t, perhaps, meet the expectations of the faithful.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 6, 2021 21:32

I highly doubt songwriting credits are an issue at all. Jordan has gotten credit twice. And Clifford got credit for several Jagger solo tracks. Add to that credits to Pierre, Chuck, and (to be on the safe side) Kd Lang since 1986 — the Twins’ hammerlock on the byline has not been an issue for some time.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 6, 2021 23:29

If it was not clear enough, with my suggestion in the earlier post of mine of a double album, one LP without, one LP with that alleged "techno pop", I meant two versions of each song. One separate album without "techno pop" versions, one separate album with. That would make it possible for listeners to hear both versions of the album or only one of them, according to their preferences.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...476477478479480481482483484485486...LastNext
Current Page: 481 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home