Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...474475476477478479480481482483484...LastNext
Current Page: 479 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 9, 2021 16:49

doitywoik
Since the age question is a recurring theme here, let’s see what other active musicians in their age group made of lockdown, e.g. John McLaughlin, who at 79,5 years is a tad older than your average Stone. Johnny Mac just released a new album, “Liberation Time”, recorded long-distance during lockdown with various other musicians, and not his worst. JMac says (liner notes), “By the end of September 2020, I like so many millions of people, had become deeply frustrated (…) The result of this frustration was an explosion of music in my mind, which lead to this recording.”

McLaughlin, at 80, has certainly done and achieved enough in his musical life to call it a day, but here’s an active and creative musician who still has it in him, so why would he stop? And mind you, his previous album was released only in 2020, not much more than a year ago.

In other terms, being around or close to 80 in itself is not a reason for not recording new music. Of course you can be a productive electric musician even at that age, and even put out good records.

Thus, as far as it concerns the boys’ age I see no reason to doubt they could record (or finish) another album, and even a reasonable one. Let’s just hope that MailOnline article is based on actual information and not just perpetuating the usual chatter.

Fair play to John McLaughlin. And he is not alone in putting out material in his 80's. John Mayall has also been producing material beyond that milestone. John Lee Hooker produced some of his best work at that age as well. And there are more.

I am not advancing age alone as a reason for not producing material. There is overall health. There is the critical scrutiny that anything the band produces will be subjected to. There is the need to get all four members together in some way - even electronically. There are probably differing perspectives on what should and should not be included. And there are the workloads that Mick, Keith and Ronnie particularly, are carrying. I suggest they are all even busier than those we are comparing them to.

But I'm not wanting to be dismissive of any counter arguments here. And the blunt truth is that neither I, nor anyone else, really knows what the obstacles are. I must also confess to being protective of the band. Throughout my entire life they have provided the soundtrack to everything. I was eleven when I first heard the swaggering impertinence of All Over Now and I was instantly hooked. I'm now almost 60 years older, not an awful lot wiser, but still dancing to The Stones in my head.

I will always be grateful for that. Every single day!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 9, 2021 17:08

GerardHennessy
doitywoik
Since the age question is a recurring theme here, let’s see what other active musicians in their age group made of lockdown, e.g. John McLaughlin, who at 79,5 years is a tad older than your average Stone. Johnny Mac just released a new album, “Liberation Time”, recorded long-distance during lockdown with various other musicians, and not his worst. JMac says (liner notes), “By the end of September 2020, I like so many millions of people, had become deeply frustrated (…) The result of this frustration was an explosion of music in my mind, which lead to this recording.”

McLaughlin, at 80, has certainly done and achieved enough in his musical life to call it a day, but here’s an active and creative musician who still has it in him, so why would he stop? And mind you, his previous album was released only in 2020, not much more than a year ago.

In other terms, being around or close to 80 in itself is not a reason for not recording new music. Of course you can be a productive electric musician even at that age, and even put out good records.

Thus, as far as it concerns the boys’ age I see no reason to doubt they could record (or finish) another album, and even a reasonable one. Let’s just hope that MailOnline article is based on actual information and not just perpetuating the usual chatter.

Fair play to John McLaughlin. And he is not alone in putting out material in his 80's. John Mayall has also been producing material beyond that milestone. John Lee Hooker produced some of his best work at that age as well. And there are more.

I am not advancing age alone as a reason for not producing material. There is overall health. There is the critical scrutiny that anything the band produces will be subjected to. There is the need to get all four members together in some way - even electronically. There are probably differing perspectives on what should and should not be included. And there are the workloads that Mick, Keith and Ronnie particularly, are carrying. I suggest they are all even busier than those we are comparing them to.

But I'm not wanting to be dismissive of any counter arguments here. And the blunt truth is that neither I, nor anyone else, really knows what the obstacles are. I must also confess to being protective of the band. Throughout my entire life they have provided the soundtrack to everything. I was eleven when I first heard the swaggering impertinence of All Over Now and I was instantly hooked. I'm now almost 60 years older, not an awful lot wiser, but still dancing to The Stones in my head.

The difference between an 80 year old artist assembling a band of young musicians and recording a album, or going on the road, and putting this band of 80 or almost year old musicians back together is blindingly obvious, isn't it?

That neil Young or Dylan or Mclaughlin or Mccartney can do those things has nothing to do with the Stones, does it?

Solo artist. Band. Two different things.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: July 10, 2021 00:56

Irix
The whole DailyMail article (8-Jul-2021, 21:29 BST) -- [iorr.org] :

Mick Jagger broke lockdown rules to watch England game at Wembley after flying in from France

Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger flouted lockdown rules after jetting in from France to watch England's Euro 2020 semi-final win over Denmark. The legendary singer, 77, landed on Tuesday and is legally required to quarantine for ten days having arrived from a country on the UK's Amber list. However, Mick was snapped at Wembley just 24 hours later joining 60,000 football fans last night to watch the Three Lions secure their place in Sunday's final. He could face a fine of up to £10,000 for breaking the UK's Covid rules.

A source close to the singer told MailOnline Mick had planned his visit to London for weeks to finish off the new Stones' album but he couldn't ignore the opportunity to watch England's most important football match in recent history – despite the controversy it may cause. The source said: 'Mick is a huge football fan and just wanted to be at Wembley. He had Covid tests before his flight and on arrival, plus after the game so he believed he was being careful in that respect.'

'Mick was always due in London around this time to work on the new Stones album, it just happened to clash with the fact England had such a big game on – and he just couldn't miss it.' Mick was snapped wearing a black facemask arriving at his VIP box at Wembley. Several fans stopped him for autographs as he made his way to his private section, which he had booked out, unbeknown he failed to quarantine upon his arrival to the UK. MailOnline have contacted his representatives for comment.

Mick has properties in London, New York, Mustique and the Loire Valley in central France, where he lives for the majority of the year. He's owned the 16th century castle called La Fourchette, located in a tiny village called Poce-sur-Cisse, for nearly 30 years, having splashed out £2.2million for it. A keen fitness fan, he goes for mounting biking nearby and also fishes on the banks of the Loire river. He shares the property with ballerina girlfriend Melanie Hamrick, 34, and their four-year-old son Deveraux.

Mick could have cut his quarantine requirement in half by taking part in the Test to Release scheme, which ends on Day 5 should a paid-for private Covid-19 test come back negative. But the lure of watching the Three Lions in such a vital game appeared too much of a temptation. Mick regularly watches football wherever he is based, especially England and his beloved Arsenal. The source added: 'Whether he's on a tour bus or in a hotel, Mick ensures satellite dishes are erected so he can see all the games. He rarely misses an Arsenal match, no matter how inconsistent they are.'

The Rolling Stones are currently finishing off their latest album in London, which is set to be released later this year. Mick is working on material with band-mates Ronnie Wood, 74, and Charlie Watts, 80, in the UK, while Keith Richards, 77, contributes from his home in the US. They are also planning to release another album of remastered 'basement tracks' never previously released from around the time of their Tattoo You 1981 release.

The band's sold out tour of America is currently waiting to be rescheduled after Covid-19 forced the 15 dates to be postponed -- [www.DailyMail.co.uk] .

Great news - I look forward to an official confirmation...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 10, 2021 01:19

>he goes for mounting biking

Jesus, Mick, can't you keep that thing in your trousers?

jb

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 10, 2021 02:30

Hairball
quietbeatle
that article says ''in london FINISHING the new stones album planned to be released by the end of this year" AND that Mick is working on ''basement tracks from the Tattoo You era"

If the Daily Mail says it's true, then by all means it must be true!

What cracks me up is that Tattoo you was released in 1981......but was a composite of mid-70's recordings.......so what era are we really talking about? winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 10, 2021 06:02

Woz
Hairball
quietbeatle
that article says ''in london FINISHING the new stones album planned to be released by the end of this year" AND that Mick is working on ''basement tracks from the Tattoo You era"

If the Daily Mail says it's true, then by all means it must be true!

What cracks me up is that Tattoo you was released in 1981......but was a composite of mid-70's recordings.......so what era are we really talking about? winking smiley

Waiting On A Friend
Tops

Slave
Worried About You

Start Me Up
Hang Fire
Black Limousine

Little T&A
Neighbours
Heaven
No Use In Crying

What no one knows except for Kimsey and Jagger: what else Mick worked on.

No info about any 1973 or 1974 IORR tracks. No info about any 1978 ER tracks, where Tallahassee Lassie is from.

Fiji Jim? The Way She Held Me Tight? Those SG leftovers seem plausible, considering what was released on the SG deluxe. They opted to not have an ER deluxe anniversary reissue - plenty of leftovers just from 1978-79. Not The Way To Go,

Same with B&B. GHS? Not many, it seems. Hardly any for IORR.

Basement tapes. Hopefully it's more than what was on the extra EOMS disc.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 10, 2021 22:21

Rokyfan
GerardHennessy
doitywoik

The difference between an 80 year old artist assembling a band of young musicians and recording a album, or going on the road, and putting this band of 80 or almost year old musicians back together is blindingly obvious, isn't it?

That neil Young or Dylan or Mclaughlin or Mccartney can do those things has nothing to do with the Stones, does it?

Solo artist. Band. Two different things.

Excellent point. I could not agree more. The dynamics and organisation are completely different for a group as opposed to an individual. And then again, the type of music The Stones play requires a considerable degree of physical energy and performance if it to carry any kind of conviction or validity. It they produce something that feels lifeless or flat they will be hammered by everyone. One thing you can never say about The Stones is that they are lifeless. Messy? Muddled? Forced? Yes to all of those on occasion. But they have always been energetic.

Date: July 23, 2021 01:41

Hey guys so apparently the Stones plan to get together by August 14th [iorr.org]
Does anyone think if this date is for studio work or rehearsals for the Tour?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 23, 2021 01:59

DiegoGlimmerStones
Hey guys so apparently the Stones plan to get together by August 14th [iorr.org]

Tattoo You Deluxe edition is the Stones release for 2021 in October, that's confirmed in Universal.

No word for the new album this year, no way they would release both things in less than 3 months.

The August 14th date is for rehearsals, the band must be very rusty after 2 years off the road.

Date: July 23, 2021 02:09

georgelicks
DiegoGlimmerStones

Tattoo You Deluxe edition is the Stones release for 2021 in October, that's confirmed in Universal.

No word for the new album this year, no way they would release both things in less than 3 months.

The August 14th date is for rehearsals, the band must be very rusty after 2 years off the road.

Thx georgelicksthumbs up

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: July 23, 2021 12:13

@Georgelicks

Are there any chance to see a new studio album released next year hopefully with a possible European Tour?!Are there any news or gossip at Universal about it?!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 23, 2021 13:15

New Studio-Album & Tour of Europe would be the best presents for their 60th Anniversary in 2022. smiling smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 23, 2021 13:26

With sales these days why not a new album this year being released before XMAS if it’s done? Tattoo reissue even if really good will be a distant memory by November. Next year they’ll bombard us I bet with Exile’s 50th and another greatest hits package.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 23, 2021 23:25

Would be great if Giles Martin is involved again. Spectacular mix on GHS deluxe...thumbs up

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 24, 2021 01:00

Irix
New Studio-Album & Tour of Europe would be the best presents for their 60th Anniversary in 2022. smiling smiley

Woah! Yay. I'm with you on this one!! grinning smiley smiling bouncing smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: July 24, 2021 12:34

waterrats
Irix

Woah! Yay. I'm with you on this one!! grinning smiley smiling bouncing smiley smileys with beer

Yes! smileys with beersmiling bouncing smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 24, 2021 15:46

Yeah, 2021 can already be safely removed from the title and with the 60th coming and another cash grab opportunity, 2022 isn't looking that good either...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 24, 2021 17:23

Bashlets
With sales these days why not a new album this year being released before XMAS if it’s done? Tattoo reissue even if really good will be a distant memory by November. Next year they’ll bombard us I bet with Exile’s 50th and another greatest hits package.

At this point every year is the 50th or 60th anniversary of something. Looking forward to the DIAMOND Anniversary of Satisfaction for which I'm sure they'll rerelease for the 3rd time the 12" Satisfaction single, in 'Diamond Colour'.

What would that be, clear vinyl?

Re: New Stones album for 2022?
Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 5, 2021 19:58

The terrible news about Charlie is the only important story. We all wish his quick and complete recovery.

The Sun’s paragraph about a new album in 2022 is interesting, however, if true:

“The Rolling Stones aim to have him back fighting fit for the band’s big 60th anniversary celebrations in 2022, when they will release their first album of ­original songs in 17 years.”

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:33

I noted that as well. Hyde park in 2022!

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 5, 2021 23:39

micha063
waterrats
Irix

Yes! smileys with beersmiling bouncing smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Quote from thesun.co.uk about Charlie:

“The Rolling Stones aim to have him back fighting fit for the band’s big 60th anniversary celebrations in 2022, when they will release their first album of ­original songs in 17 years.“

smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 6, 2021 02:32

Bashlets

I've said time and time again throughout this thread that for the new album, they wait for the right opportunity to make the most out of it, and that this would be their 60th Anniversary.

There will also be lots of other stuff, including archive material, that will keep us fans happy (and empty our pockets).

Tattoo You Deluxe is not part of the 60th Anniversary celebrations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 02:33 by retired_dog.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 06:26

No speculation yet on how many songs might be on the new album. Living In A Ghost Town would be one cut, no?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 15:07 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 6, 2021 08:06

VoodooLounge13
O speculation yet on how many songs might be on the new album. Living In A Ghost Town would be one cut, no?

I hope it will be on next Mick's solo album!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 6, 2021 09:07

VoodooLounge13
O speculation yet on how many songs might be on the new album. Living In A Ghost Town would be one cut, no?

By the time any new studio album is finished and released, I’d say Living in a Ghost Town will be last the contention stage. I prefer the idea of it being a stand-alone release, anyway.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: August 6, 2021 10:33

I think Tattoo You Deluxe will be there for this Christmas, and the new album in March 2022. It gives the morning news programs an excuse to do a story on the big six-oh and promote the new album as well. Some high profile London show would probably come on top of that.

Hopefully they will take a page from Lil Naz X and Paul McCartney and swing for the fences with remixes. They've always been on top of it, but this is the time to really go for it and make a serious remix album.

Then a deluxe version of the new album for Christmas 2022, maybe a live album of the 60th anniversary concert.

I can dream, can't I? smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 10:35 by jahisnotdead.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 15:08

Let's not forget the 60th Anniversary Compilation!!! 60 tracks of Greatest Hits. "Last Licks"

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 6, 2021 16:10

VoodooLounge13

Let's not forget the 60th Anniversary Compilation!!! 60 tracks of Greatest Hits. "Last Licks"

Let's forget the 60th Anniversary Compilation!!! 60 tracks of Greatest Hits. "Last Licks" winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2021 16:17

Irix
VoodooLounge13

Let's forget the 60th Anniversary Compilation!!! 60 tracks of Greatest Hits. "Last Licks" winking smiley

Grrrlicks!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 6, 2021 16:47

Hot Grrrlicks? cool smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...474475476477478479480481482483484...LastNext
Current Page: 479 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10