Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...473474475476477478479480481482483...LastNext
Current Page: 478 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 3, 2021 13:50

bv
It is hard to finish an album when Keith is in USA and Mick is in Europe, since early spring 2020. They just need travel safety, and time together in studio.

You’re an enthusiast
You’re an optimist

But they have recorded albums separately before, just piecing together their own little parts into the sum of the whole. Successfully? Well, I LOVE stuff on every one of their records, so for me, yes. But these days, they just show little to no interest in finishing off what they say they started over half a decade ago. OVER HALF a decade ago… let that sink in.

They ARE just lazy. Or finished as creative recording artists. I don’t dislike them any more for being so, I STILL LOVE THEM. They ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE my favourite band. But…they’re just not interested anymore. As CREATIVE artists, they’re seemingly done, and that’s a shame. Nobody EXPECTS Exile Pt2, we would have loved SOMETHING, but Mick in interviews says he wanted it to be great. So..we wait…and wait.. and buy releases in red, vault shows, swoon over outtakes, but..wait, whilst they still rack up the $s from Carnaby St.. Eagle Rock etc. No new album though.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-03 13:50 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 3, 2021 14:28

bv's enthusiasm and optimism is never wavering. In all my years' of posting here, I have yet to read a single morsel of anything, even, nearing negativity. It's almost unrealgrinning smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 3, 2021 16:17

Big Al
bv's enthusiasm and optimism is never wavering. In all my years' of posting here, I have yet to read a single morsel of anything, even, nearing negativity. It's almost unrealgrinning smiley

I think it’s fantastic. But sometimes misplaced

Rod

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 3, 2021 18:15

bitusa2012
bv
It is hard to finish an album when Keith is in USA and Mick is in Europe, since early spring 2020. They just need travel safety, and time together in studio.

You’re an enthusiast
You’re an optimist

But they have recorded albums separately before, just piecing together their own little parts into the sum of the whole. Successfully? Well, I LOVE stuff on every one of their records, so for me, yes. But these days, they just show little to no interest in finishing off what they say they started over half a decade ago. OVER HALF a decade ago… let that sink in.

They ARE just lazy. Or finished as creative recording artists. I don’t dislike them any more for being so, I STILL LOVE THEM. They ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE my favourite band. But…they’re just not interested anymore. As CREATIVE artists, they’re seemingly done, and that’s a shame. Nobody EXPECTS Exile Pt2, we would have loved SOMETHING, but Mick in interviews says he wanted it to be great. So..we wait…and wait.. and buy releases in red, vault shows, swoon over outtakes, but..wait, whilst they still rack up the $s from Carnaby St.. Eagle Rock etc. No new album though.

I hear what you're saying, except the "lazy" part.. Was Neil Armstrong lazy cuz he never returned to the moon? No. There are lawns to mow, kids to raise, other jobs that fill a 24-hour day we know nothing about, just like no-one knows what your day or my day is filled with, even though I no longer punch a clock, or put out vehicle fires, or.. Well, actually, I AM lazy. But the Stones? Nah

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 5, 2021 01:56

bitusa2012
...they have recorded albums separately before, just piecing together their own little parts into the sum of the whole. Successfully? Well, I LOVE stuff on every one of their records, so for me, yes. But these days, they just show little to no interest in finishing off what they say they started over half a decade ago. OVER HALF a decade ago… let that sink in.

They ARE just lazy. Or finished as creative recording artists.

Keith Richards (May 26, 2015): Stones in the studio again?

Funny you should mention that. Just last week, the word studio popped up while we were rehearsing. I said, Well, let's find a time. I'm ready!

Keith Richards (August 2015): The next Stones album

(Will we record another album and tour again?) In truth, the answer to all of that is yes. I think we will. We’ll do this year, then go into the studio. I know Mick wants to record again – he blurted it out in a meeting: It’s about time we went back and recorded. I was like, We’re here to talk about a tour, right? So that will be interesting. End of the year.

Keith Richards (September 2015): Stones agree to record a new album

Actually, I was in London last week and the boys and I got together. And, yeah, there are now definite plans to record... (A new album) looks closer. Don't know where, don't know when yet. We had a little chat. We were just saying, 'We've got to get in the studio right?' 'Right.' 'That’s agreed.' 'Okay, boys, that’s agreed.' Where, when – (we) scratch our heads.

I would say off the top of my head after the South American tour in February. But you never know. We might try to get into the studio before Christmas. I think that’s sort of doubtful, with Christmas being Christmas, all that buildup. But at the same time, it’s definitely in the works.

(The Stones are) going to get in the studio, which was one of my aims really of doing this one. (It) was, Hey, Rolling Stones, you haven't been in the studio for 11 years... It's time to get in the studio.

(A)t least they've decided Yes. I think they've been a bit scared of getting in the studio together. Well, we're going to see what comes out of that because after this amount of time off there's obviously going to be some rust to knock off, but at the same time, we've been working a lot on the road. The band is hot. I think hotter than I've actually ever heard them, and I think given the right material and everything, I hope they get them in the studio sometime within the - I don't want to give any dates - but in the near future.

December c. 5-12, 2015: The Rolling Stones start work on a new album in London, England,
first at John Henry's Studios, then at British Grove Studios. On December 11, the band records
blues covers.

December 14-c. 18, 2015: After a day off, the Rolling Stones resume recording at British Grove
Studios in London, England. On December 14-15, they complete recording of blues covers for
the eventual Blue & Lonesome album.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

April 7-mid-April 2016: The Rolling Stones record overdubs and start mixing their blues recordings
(from the previous December) at British Grove Studios in London, England, for the eventual Blue &
Lonesome album.

June 13-26, 2016: The Rolling Stones resume recording sessions in London, England.

BLUE AND LONESOME released December 2, 2016.

Mid-February 2017: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards spend a week working on the new Rolling
Stones album in a studio in New York.

May 30-June 9, 2017: The Rolling Stones resume recording sessions at British Grove Studios
in London, England.

Late February/early March 2018: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards work on new Rolling Stones
material in a studio in New York City.

September 20-21, 2018: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards record more material for the Rolling
Stones' next album at Germano Studios in New York City.

Keith Richards (November 2018): Recording with Mick and Don Was

Mick and I got together for a few days a month or so ago in the studio, just playing around. It was great, man. We knocked out a few songs together with Don Was. We’re just working things through. We had a great time — got some nice stuff out of it.

Early December 2018: Mick Jagger and Ron Wood work on new material for a few days at Twin
Studios in Paris, France.

Late January/early February-c. February 20, 2019: The Rolling Stones hold recording sessions
in Los Angeles.

This is when Living In A Ghost Town was recorded.

Richards (March 2019): Album progress, Charlie and Mick

We’re working on the album. We’ve got the first bits done and I’m looking forward to getting back in after this tour. Charlie Watts is playing his arse off!... He’s absolutely amazing. It’s indescribable to find a drummer like Charlie Watts, exceptionally brilliant.

I can never praise Charlie enough and I can praise Mick Jagger 99% of the time. Mick knows what I mean and he’ll say the same about me. Things happen between Mick and me because it’s just two guys working together. You only hear about the odd bust-up. I love the man 99% of the time.

Early May 2019: Keith Richards and Don Was record overdubs in New York City for the Rolling
Stones' next album.

Don Was (Late April 2019): The next Stones album

I can’t really describe the album because we haven’t made the choices yet. Keith and Mick have been writing together, it’s all original material and it’s really good.

Don Was (Early July 2019): The Stones album-in-progress

We probably have 40 (tracks), and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined. Right now it can go any way. There's some really good stuff in there, and there's a sense that making a good album is not good enough, it's got to be great.

November 2019: Mick Jagger and Ron Wood contribute to Rolling Stones recordings in
progress in London, England. Keith Richards does the same in Los Angeles.

Ron Wood (Late 2019): State of the Rolling Stones' next album

(The work) is ongoing. Taking on shape. Many different flavours. Very diverse... It's going to be great. Once we've decided what tracks we're going to use.

Early/mid April 2020: Mick Jagger records new vocals at his home in Pocé-sur-Cisse, France,
for the upcoming release of the Rolling Stones song Living in a Ghost Town.

Living In A Ghost Town released April 23, 2020. The CD release, using the generic recent single cover for everything, does not mention Italy.

Between December of 2015 and April of 2020 a total of 13 new recordings have been released.

Mick worked on Stones tracks over the summer of 2020 in Italy.

Mick: Living in a Ghost Town was part of a group of songs we’d recorded quite recently... Now I’m singing on some of the other ones that we did from that time period, finishing those off, too.

If you take him seriously, there are more finished tracks. Then there's this:

Keith Richards (September 8, 2020): Update on the current situation for the new album

We’re biding our time at the moment. I’m going to do a little bit work on it with Don Was, our producer, next month. And just to prod things along a bit. But otherwise until we can all get back together again, you know, we’re like an octopus with all the legs chopped off (laughs).

(Mick and I talk a)ll the time… exchanging ideas. But it’s a bit (laughs): I’d rather be looking at you in the face, man! (laughs)… (We) phone (each other) usually. Either that or I do sometimes text and take a photograph - I’ll write it, take a photograph, and send it to him.

Keith did a couple more sessions in NYC last fall. That's the newest info from timeisonourside. There's the photos of Keith from February on IG from the studio in NYC.

It would be killer if Mick has been finishing more tracks, and Keith, as well, and it's closer to being finished than unfinished. But they've talked about recording more material.

40 or whatever it is isn't enough apparently. Nothing new there. But even Keith mentioned previous sessions material, without being specific, but that's probably an allusion going back to 1993.

With the Delta variant getting a grip in the US it's probably a safe guess that there won't be a Stones tour this year. We're past the halfway point of 2021. It would be great if they could finish what is supposedly their new and last studio album for 2022. Time will start being mean to them much sooner than it ever has been.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: July 8, 2021 22:12

Right now they are finishing off the new album in London

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: July 8, 2021 22:33

Have you an insider or this is only a hope?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2021 22:38

That's splendid news - will believe it when I hear it and see it....
Until then, not getting any hopes up.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: July 8, 2021 23:05

paulspendel
Right now they are finishing off the new album in London

Not that this backs up this rumor, but I saw a pic on fb of Ronnie visiting the Carnaby store today. He is in London, but I think we need a few more to finish up the album winking smiley

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 8, 2021 23:07

I'm amazed at the resilience of people here, and the never ending 'will-they, won't they' saga about a new album that has unfolded over the past ten years or so. I have no idea what will happen. And I have not the slightest inclination to try reading anyone's mind in the band about what will happen.

But what I find really strange, and unfair, are the constant accusations of laziness thrown at the band. They are not lazy but they are OLD. Give them a break for God's sake. Had they retired after ABB they would have pretty much pulled the plug after a 40 year career or thereabouts. But they have kept plugging away in various ways. Solo albums, live tours, anniversary editions of classic albums, and not forgetting the very decent blues album plus occasional singles. All of this while they have endured health scares, the ageing process, bereavements, and no doubt the kind of family issues and challenges that everyone, rich and poor, has to face in life.

I also think the band are on a hiding to nothing regarding any new album. It will be criticised endlessly, torn to shreds by all and sundry, reviewed patronisingly, compared unfavourably over and over to classic-era Stones material, and accused endlessly of simply being another money-grab intended merely as a way of topping up their pensions - 'this album is just a bunch of bits and pieces they have thrown together over the last 10 years' and so on.

With one member over 80, two in their late 70's and with a youngest member -Ronnie - a mere stripling of 74 or thereabouts, but who is in fragile health, who amongst us in all fairness can say they have not earned the right to just close the shop? But already I can hear the counter arguments - they have been messing about for 15 years, they have nothing else to do, they owe us because we are fans etc, etc, etc. I say a big 'so what' We have over thirty studio albums to enjoy, loads of special releases, live recordings, rare b-sides, solo material and on and on and on. None of us is exactly short of Stones recordings. One last album might give us another 10-12 tracks to add to the pile of material we already have. And if they DO release one more album, will we then start looking for another 2-3 years after that?

Sadly, by then, I think that age really will have had the last laugh on us all.

Date: July 8, 2021 23:15

Hairball

This MailOnline article about Mick breaking quarantine to attend the England match, mentions him being in London to record a new Stones album.

And it also mentions a forthcoming release of ‘basement tracks’ from the ‘Tattoo You’ era.

[www.google.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-08 23:20 by Big Al.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2021 23:24

Big Al
Hairball

This MailOnline article about Mick breaking quarantine to attend the England match, mentions him being in London to record a new Stones album.

And it also mentions a forthcoming release of ‘basement tracks’ from the ‘Tattoo You’ era.

[www.google.co.uk]

Tattoo You Too AND a new album? Could we be that fortunate?

Two words. Bob Clearmountain please. (OK, 3 words).

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: July 8, 2021 23:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-08 23:34 by walkingthedog.

Date: July 8, 2021 23:38

Big Al
Hairball

[www.google.co.uk]

Wow fantastic news!! Fingers crossed! smileys with beerthumbs upwinking smiley

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 9, 2021 00:13

Mick Jagger is back, baby

Date: July 9, 2021 04:01

Big Al
Hairball

[www.google.co.uk]

Yes I'm aware of the article, and there's been quite a few similar ones regarding the supposed new album the last five years or so..."working on it"..."sounds great"..."almost done"...etc., etc. etc.
Again, will believe it when I see it and hear it, but until then not getting any hopes up.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 9, 2021 04:23

Well, if there is a "Tattoo You 2" coming, you'd think they would want to release it relatively soon. I still think the actual new album will come out next spring, and they wouldn't want to step on that too much with a Christmas 2021 release of old material. But what do I know?

I actually think that part of the problem might be too much material. It was difficult for me to put together a "best of" CD of the recent Fully Finished bootleg collection. I imagine the Stones have dozens of more songs in various stages, and trying to cut that down to the best 10 or so might be a lot harder than we think.

Date: July 9, 2021 04:28

Now that the postponed tour is looking less and less likely to happen, maybe a new album is in the relatively near future after all...maybe 2023?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 9, 2021 04:33

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 9, 2021 04:42

Since the age question is a recurring theme here, let’s see what other active musicians in their age group made of lockdown, e.g. John McLaughlin, who at 79,5 years is a tad older than your average Stone. Johnny Mac just released a new album, “Liberation Time”, recorded long-distance during lockdown with various other musicians, and not his worst. JMac says (liner notes), “By the end of September 2020, I like so many millions of people, had become deeply frustrated (…) The result of this frustration was an explosion of music in my mind, which lead to this recording.”

McLaughlin, at 80, has certainly done and achieved enough in his musical life to call it a day, but here’s an active and creative musician who still has it in him, so why would he stop? And mind you, his previous album was released only in 2020, not much more than a year ago.

In other terms, being around or close to 80 in itself is not a reason for not recording new music. Of course you can be a productive electric musician even at that age, and even put out good records.

Thus, as far as it concerns the boys’ age I see no reason to doubt they could record (or finish) another album, and even a reasonable one. Let’s just hope that MailOnline article is based on actual information and not just perpetuating the usual chatter.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 9, 2021 04:55

Tattoo You II = FFSO parts IV, V, VI

jb

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: July 9, 2021 05:24

that article says ''in london FINISHING the new stones album planned to be released by the end of this year" AND that Mick is working on ''basement tracks from the Tattoo You era"

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: July 9, 2021 05:54

smileys with beer

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 9, 2021 05:55

A new studio album and a Chuck Berry tribute please, thank you!

Date: July 9, 2021 07:08

quietbeatle
that article says ''in london FINISHING the new stones album planned to be released by the end of this year" AND that Mick is working on ''basement tracks from the Tattoo You era"
m

Thanks thumbs up I should’ve mentioned that in my earlier post. It also specifically mentions that Ronnie and Charlie are recording alongside him, whilst Keith is contributing from his home in the U.S.

Date: July 9, 2021 08:11

quietbeatle

If the Daily Mail says it's true, then by all means it must be true!

Date: July 9, 2021 08:56

Hairball
quietbeatle

It may be the worst kind of rag, but I don’t see why this wouldn’t be true. They must’ve got their sources from somewhere; and it’s quite specific, with the mentioning of ‘basement tracks’ and Tattoo You.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 9, 2021 09:14

Hairball
quietbeatle

Well, I've already said a few hundred pages back (and one or two years ago) in this thread that "according to my inside source", they were working on new tracks and tracks from the archives, "stockpiling" things for - according to the best guess of my source - their 60th Anniversary extravaganza, "released in what form exactly remains to be seen", but likely "not before late 2021 at earliest".

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 9, 2021 11:45

The whole DailyMail article (8-Jul-2021, 21:29 BST) -- [iorr.org] :

Mick Jagger broke lockdown rules to watch England game at Wembley after flying in from France

Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger flouted lockdown rules after jetting in from France to watch England's Euro 2020 semi-final win over Denmark. The legendary singer, 77, landed on Tuesday and is legally required to quarantine for ten days having arrived from a country on the UK's Amber list. However, Mick was snapped at Wembley just 24 hours later joining 60,000 football fans last night to watch the Three Lions secure their place in Sunday's final. He could face a fine of up to £10,000 for breaking the UK's Covid rules.

A source close to the singer told MailOnline Mick had planned his visit to London for weeks to finish off the new Stones' album but he couldn't ignore the opportunity to watch England's most important football match in recent history – despite the controversy it may cause. The source said: 'Mick is a huge football fan and just wanted to be at Wembley. He had Covid tests before his flight and on arrival, plus after the game so he believed he was being careful in that respect.'

'Mick was always due in London around this time to work on the new Stones album, it just happened to clash with the fact England had such a big game on – and he just couldn't miss it.' Mick was snapped wearing a black facemask arriving at his VIP box at Wembley. Several fans stopped him for autographs as he made his way to his private section, which he had booked out, unbeknown he failed to quarantine upon his arrival to the UK. MailOnline have contacted his representatives for comment.

Mick has properties in London, New York, Mustique and the Loire Valley in central France, where he lives for the majority of the year. He's owned the 16th century castle called La Fourchette, located in a tiny village called Poce-sur-Cisse, for nearly 30 years, having splashed out £2.2million for it. A keen fitness fan, he goes for mounting biking nearby and also fishes on the banks of the Loire river. He shares the property with ballerina girlfriend Melanie Hamrick, 34, and their four-year-old son Deveraux.

Mick could have cut his quarantine requirement in half by taking part in the Test to Release scheme, which ends on Day 5 should a paid-for private Covid-19 test come back negative. But the lure of watching the Three Lions in such a vital game appeared too much of a temptation. Mick regularly watches football wherever he is based, especially England and his beloved Arsenal. The source added: 'Whether he's on a tour bus or in a hotel, Mick ensures satellite dishes are erected so he can see all the games. He rarely misses an Arsenal match, no matter how inconsistent they are.'

The Rolling Stones are currently finishing off their latest album in London, which is set to be released later this year. Mick is working on material with band-mates Ronnie Wood, 74, and Charlie Watts, 80, in the UK, while Keith Richards, 77, contributes from his home in the US. They are also planning to release another album of remastered 'basement tracks' never previously released from around the time of their Tattoo You 1981 release.

The band's sold out tour of America is currently waiting to be rescheduled after Covid-19 forced the 15 dates to be postponed -- [www.DailyMail.co.uk] .

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 9, 2021 12:36

Sounds like a 40th year TATTOO YOU deluxe release to me. Easily enough tracks from that error to fill up an extra disc. I generally liked the SG bonus but would have added Beast( 8 track version) and Bob Clearmountains mix of BTMMR

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...473474475476477478479480481482483...LastNext
Current Page: 478 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home