Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...472473474475476477478479480481482...LastNext
Current Page: 477 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 1, 2021 17:31

It was really hard in the years before covid and Ronnie's illness when they could travel at will.

At this point, is finish the right word? Years old tracks in varying states?

I think at this point their priority will be to reschedule the dates for which people hold tickets as soon as Ronnie's health allows.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 1, 2021 18:08

GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
It seems to me (at the moment) that they will be more or less "judged" based on 1964-1989 with an honorable mention to Blue and Lonesome.

I, of course, own most everything (except for some compilations and 'Live Licks') and enjoy it all for what it is, though my "golden era" is '68-'89.

I still think there is a possibility (though I know many IORR's disagree) that they will surprise drop a new album around the time of a tour, be it the make-up dates or any kind of anniversary tour...in an effort by Mick to do the current "hip" thing, since many groups/artists have generated buzz in this fashion, though yes I realize that they have mastered the art of build up hype/promotion over the years.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Eh... 1981. Or really 1984. UNDERCOVER, considering the times (and it's the last of the creative swing that started in 1977) - and that it's a really good LP, and to wrap it up, 1984's excellent REWIND.

It's been all about the brand ever since.

Yes, I might steer a newbie toward '64 or '68-'81, but for me, especially as time has gone on, there are parts of the late 80's (and really missing Wyman) that stretch my "golden era" to '89. Maybe '83-'89 is light gold! The brief inclusion of '89/90 footage in "Crossfire Hurricane" reflects that '89/90 resonates as part of their power (the big return) and how they will be judged by history, and then after that it may well be just "wow they toured into their 80s" which of course glosses over a lot of stuff. That said, my favorite shows were in '99 and '02/'03...deep into the "brand" years. As for "Rewind"...that's an example of a compilation I don't have. I used to, but I just didn't need it. Same with Hot Rocks, Grrr! and Forty Licks...really any compilation other than More Hot Rocks and Sucking in the Seventies...though I guess I did keep Forty Licks to have in the car while I still have a CD player.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-01 20:42 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 1, 2021 18:43

Hairball
Blue and Lonesome was great?
In comparison to nothing at all maybe, but a full album of average-at-best blues covers does not equate to greatness imo.
A couple of the tunes could be considered great when they were played played live, but the album as a whole is [[b]i]blue and boring[[/b]/i] as someone here once renamed it.

thumbs up
Blue and really boring.

Date: July 1, 2021 18:44

KRiffhard
Hairball
In comparison to nothing at all maybe, but a full album of average-at-best blues covers does not equate to greatness imo.
A couple of the tunes could be considered great when they were played played live, but the album as a whole is [[b]i]blue and boring[[/b]/i] as someone here once renamed it.

thumbs up
Blue and really boring.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 1, 2021 18:51

KRiffhard
Hairball

thumbs up
Blue and really boring.

I would say I heartedly disagree.

Now Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, all those others I cannot even recall, boring, really boring and not only that, pretentious and embarrassing. B&L was a welcome cool breeze in comparison.

The only contemporary Stones album I have dug since the seventies.

jb

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: July 1, 2021 19:05

jbwelda
KRiffhard
Hairball

thumbs up
Blue and really boring.

I would say I heartedly disagree.

Now Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, all those others I cannot even recall, boring, really boring and not only that, pretentious and embarrassing. B&L was a welcome cool breeze in comparison.

jb

Totally agree, Little rain, Hoodoo Blues,Just your fool, Ridem' on down, are great tracks

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 1, 2021 19:12

Rokyfan
It was really hard in the years before covid and Ronnie's illness when they could travel at will.

At this point, is finish the right word? Years old tracks in varying states?

I think at this point their priority will be to reschedule the dates for which people hold tickets as soon as Ronnie's health allows.

Was hoping for at least another original single, but maybe they're holding out for the 60th anniversary, and will add one or two to another Greatest Hits compilation.
For whatever reasons even pre-pandemic, seems they've been stuck in a rut, and have become the band that just couldn't it done...16 years since a Bigger Bang...sad...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 1, 2021 19:16

jbwelda

jb

As times goes by, Bridges To Babylon was their last REAL studio album, the last spark of old magic: original, creative, new sounds, really current for 1997, etc.

After B2B the Stones were never the same again, the glorious past took over and they hardly went to a studio again to record new stuff. ABB was a home made album, very pedestrian with only Mick and Keith on it, Charlie spent less than 2 weeks recording his parts... Ronnie only 3 days (!!)

The most amazing thing is that B2B was 24 years ago... internet was still a new thing back then, no social media, Windows 95... their last PROPER STUDIO ALBUM was centuries ago with today's eyes.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 1, 2021 23:04

So the question remains. Is the album in early early stages or has some of it been completed during the pandemic?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 1, 2021 23:58

Probable priority order (I guess):

1. Health.
2. Health.
3. Corona measurements.
4. Risk calculations/insurance.
5. Tour planning and administration.
6. Practising before the tour.
7. Tour (the postponed US/CAN dates).
8. Leave
9. Everything else...

So I guess the new album lands on step 9 or further down the line.
When? Maybe mid/late 2022 or something like that. Who knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-02 00:20 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 2, 2021 00:22

Please dont forget the drummer is 80 years old ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 2, 2021 00:32

Another 5 years of playing and 25 years of hanging around and he will be 110...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 2, 2021 01:07

Got so much stuff official, rarities and unreleased boots, archive releases...I honestly don't know when I'd ever have the time to hear it all. So if they all passed today all I could say is.... thanks for the memories!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 2, 2021 02:40

Why would the Stones do an album of covers? Because they are the best cover band of all time. They had a few misfires, Like A Rolling Stone, maybe a couple Mick was too young to make believable in the early days. But for the most part they either equaled or surpassed the original. Howlin' Wolf's Little Red Rooster is great, but so is the Stones version, but in a slightly slicker, more accessible way without losing its emotional base.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 2, 2021 03:02

Oh God no! Not more 'will they, won't they' discussion about a possible new album.
I honestly hope they won't. Because whatever they do will be hammered by almost all and sundry. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

I'm astounded by the searing criticism unloaded on almost everything they have done in the past 20-25 years. I find lots to like on almost everything they have ever recorded. Sure, they don't hit the creative heights they once did back in the day. But that does not mean albums like ABB, BtB VL and B&L are hopeless. They certainly are not - at least to my ears, and I have been a fan since 1964.

Leave the band in peace. Charlie is 80. Ronnie is far from well, and both Mick and Keith are doing other things. And so what if those things are not always music related. They are in their late 70's for Chrissakes.

Let them retire.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 2, 2021 03:19

bv
It is hard to finish an album when Keith is in USA and Mick is in Europe, since early spring 2020. They just need travel safety, and time together in studio.

Bv ... my good man... and with all due respect to providing
such a place for folks to chat .. but the travel restrictions
have nothing to do with The Rolling Stone's not completing an album.

Their last studio album was sixteen years ago .. They have released one studio
album of new material since 1997 (?).... one.

They have been working on (or not working on) said studio album of new material for .. what .. five and a half years now .. Lol

The Rolling Stones are the lazyest band on the planet studio wise
and their main interest are greatest hits packages, reissues ... and greatest hits tours over the last 20 years.

Love em ... BUT let's not add another excuse to the list of 500 for the reason
we haven't got a studio album.

Mr. Billen

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-02 03:23 by IanBillen.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 2, 2021 05:33

Welcome back to this thread, Ian! thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 2, 2021 07:42

Keith's once charming croak has degenerated, along with his guitar playing. We can't really expect a lot at this point. Hell, Jagger's guitar playing is faster and more fluid at this point. It's not necessary to have a complete album that tries to compete against their pre-'90 catalogue. I'm quite satisfied with the occasional single from time to time. They've been pretty good. Not the B sides but the A sides.

Date: July 2, 2021 07:45

doitywoik

Thank you for having me... I read the boards but I had a broken ankle and couldn't sit up to type much at all (along with using the on screen keyboard in between). So I didn't comment. I am doing much better now. Great to be able to chat again!!

Btw ... Where is Hairball!!???? ....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 2, 2021 07:57

IanBillen
doitywoik

Thank you for having me... I read the boards but I had a broken ankle and couldn't sit up to type much at all (along with using the on screen keyboard in between). So I didn't comment. I am doing much better now. Great to be able to chat again!!

GRRRR....still waiting for the new album... winking smiley...but the Stones have all been on holiday, and keeping busy with family time.
Honestly, not sure why this thread has been resurrected since there's been no hint of them working on the supposed new album whatsoever.
Almost at page 500 of this thread though, so might as well keep it alive until then, or until maybe keep it going to 2025 when the album will finally be ready for release.thumbs up

Date: July 2, 2021 09:48

Hairball
IanBillen
doitywoik

GRRRR....still waiting for the new album... winking smiley...but the Stones have all been on holiday, and keeping busy with family time.
Honestly, not sure why this thread has been resurrected since there's been no hint of them working on the supposed new album whatsoever.
Almost at page 500 of this thread though, so might as well keep it alive until then, or until maybe keep it going to 2025 when the album will finally be ready for release.thumbs up

Hahahahah 'Family time' .. you had to get that in ... feels jus like old times.

It is resurrected because the tour IMO is looking more and more like a no go.

I would go as far as to say it wont happen this year. It is July. They can't simply say ... ok .. in another month the tour is back on.

They would need a bit more time to give the public a heads up (even though more than half the tickets are already sold / not refunded.

Still ... doesn't look like its in the cards regardless of Micks comments a lil while back.

Ian

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 2, 2021 09:50

Hairball

Because someone had started a new thread - [iorr.org] - which was then merged here.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: July 2, 2021 10:52

Almost 500 pages of writing, thinking and hoping sbout an album, that doesn't exist.
I remember CW talking in a funny shortcut asking: "Where is the new album? Where is it!"
Does anybody have an idea where this scetch can be found?
May be it was, when "Blue and Lonesone" was released.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 2, 2021 11:50

micha063

I remember CW talking in a funny shortcut asking: "Where is the new album? Where is it!" Does anybody have an idea where this scetch can be found?

Mentioned here: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] and Charlie's original comment can be found here:

[www.YouTube.com] - Pos. 18m:15s

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-02 12:50 by Irix.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: July 2, 2021 13:00

Thanks!
I remember another clip with Charlie and Ronnie which was full of humor. May be it was a tour announcement?

Date: July 2, 2021 17:18

IanBillen
bv
It is hard to finish an album when Keith is in USA and Mick is in Europe, since early spring 2020. They just need travel safety, and time together in studio.

They have been working on (or not working on) said studio album of new material for .. what .. five and a half years now .. Lol

and their main interest are greatest hits packages, reissues ... and greatest hits tours over the last 20 years.

Mr. Billen

Welcome back Ian!!!!
You're right thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 2, 2021 18:25

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen
doitywoik

Hahahahah 'Family time' .. you had to get that in ... feels jus like old times.

It is resurrected because the tour IMO is looking more and more like a no go.

I would go as far as to say it wont happen this year. It is July. They can't simply say ... ok .. in another month the tour is back on.

They would need a bit more time to give the public a heads up (even though more than half the tickets are already sold / not refunded.

Still ... doesn't look like its in the cards regardless of Micks comments a lil while back.

Ian

As I say, given they are (were) a touring band only now, playing ostensibly a static warhorse set now, they are the worlds most expensive (to see) cruise ship cover band (of their own material)!!

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 2, 2021 23:15

The Ruby Tuesday Princess ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 3, 2021 05:15

KRiffhard
IanBillen
bv

Mr. Billen

Welcome back Ian!!!!
You're right thumbs up

Thank you Mr. RiffHard - !!

(however I never truly left.. I still kept an eye on ya-all).

Ian

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 3, 2021 07:24

What The Rolling Stones do at this point...

LOL obviously what we get, as fans, at least here, and shadooby, rocks off (and whatever else, I really don't know) is what we get.

The fan boards.

A lot of people... but not really. I have no idea what the numbers are between them, and whatever else. But the numbers are not going to be accurate and equivalate to Stones fans - it's just whoever is on a fan board in whatever way.

Are we right?

OF COURSE!

Does it matter?

YES! OF COURSE NOT!

It's (generally) fun.

Living In A Ghost Town gave us fans a really nice treat... and an awareness as to what they're working on, striving for.

Then there is the rest of the world.

At this point, 2021.. waving a proverbial flag for The Rolling Stones is just that.

The whole thing with being relevant? What year would you like to say they started to think that way?

It doesn't matter now, it did then, whatever that means.

They're a touring nostalgia machine. They should be. They are. They have been. For a long time.

A new single or a new LP?

Cool.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...472473474475476477478479480481482...LastNext
Current Page: 477 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home