Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...467468469470471472473474475476477...LastNext
Current Page: 472 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2021 12:36

Stones or pogo ta Lavatory Lil ... choose ya destiny

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 26, 2021 13:06

Witness
KRiffhard
If Mick's demos are like the horrible Superheavy stuff or Gotta Get a Grip, England Lost, Streets of Love, Driving too fast, Rain Fall Down, Doom and Gloom, Living in a Ghost Town...
If Keith's "dynamite riffs" are like Infamy, Losing my touch, One More Shot (SFM riff recycled!), Amnesia or Heartstopper...
If new songs already recorded are like the 4 on Forty Licks...
...you’d better not publish anything new.

Really?! You would want to dissuade them in advance from creating or releasing anything new?

Besides, what is there not to like about "Living in A Ghost Town"?

("Rain Fall Down" to me was one of the four best songs from their latest studio album of new material.)

I for one want to say that I will be happy to receive whatever they as band or individually are willing to give us. And I guarantee that I am going to listen to their releases several times and with an open mind and heart. That applies also if a particular release would not be especially to my liking. In that case, maybe an ensuing release to a larger extent will be more rewarding also for me!

....and Amnesia and Heartstopper are brilliant, "stumbling" tunes with lotsa "backwards dignity" as I prefer to call it, the visual comparison to them tunes would be to look at Keith on stage while he moves in almost a slow motion kinda way, full of grace.

Mind ya lads, IMHO the 4 of Forty Licks are pretty ace, especially Don't Stop and Keys To Your Love. Even the desperate "I Go Wild feeling" in Stealing My Heart is kind of charming.

One More Shot is such a great song but it is a great song in the sense of ya have to listen to while being shitfaced and boarding a plane to Cancun for your bachelor party. That is what I used it for anywaysmileys with beer

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 26, 2021 13:10

Lavatory Lil definitely comes off as goofy at first. But all things considered it’s pretty good. I mean he’s nearly 80 and done everything. Just like The Stones he’s either going to be blamed for rehashing or trying to be relevant. The way I escape this myself (as a listener) is consider the whole career and where I’m also at in life. Macca’s new record is far from Band On The Run, at least it’s fun and easy to listen to. Also, there’s a lot of melodies and harmonies going on, although simplistic it works.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 26, 2021 14:37

If "being relevant" is because of the type of production than no music has ever been relevant.

That's @#$%& ridiculous.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 26, 2021 15:27

Not sure what you mean with “production “. I’m say relevant as being in line with what’s popular at the moment, and having some sort of significance within society as an example.

Date: March 26, 2021 16:14

MadMax
Witness
KRiffhard
If Mick's demos are like the horrible Superheavy stuff or Gotta Get a Grip, England Lost, Streets of Love, Driving too fast, Rain Fall Down, Doom and Gloom, Living in a Ghost Town...
If Keith's "dynamite riffs" are like Infamy, Losing my touch, One More Shot (SFM riff recycled!), Amnesia or Heartstopper...

Really?! You would want to dissuade them in advance from creating or releasing anything new?

("Rain Fall Down" to me was one of the four best songs from their latest studio album of new material.)

I for one want to say that I will be happy to receive whatever they as band or individually are willing to give us. And I guarantee that I am going to listen to their releases several times and with an open mind and heart. That applies also if a particular release would not be especially to my liking. In that case, maybe an ensuing release to a larger extent will be more rewarding also for me!

....and Amnesia and Heartstopper are brilliant, "stumbling" tunes with lotsa "backwards dignity" as I prefer to call it, the visual comparison to them tunes would be to look at Keith on stage while he moves in almost a slow motion kinda way, full of grace.

Mind ya lads, IMHO the 4 of Forty Licks are pretty ace, especially Don't Stop and Keys To Your Love. Even the desperate "I Go Wild feeling" in Stealing My Heart is kind of charming.

One More Shot is such a great song but it is a great song in the sense of ya have to listen to while being shitfaced and boarding a plane to Cancun for your bachelor party. That is what I used it for anywaysmileys with beer

First time I heard it I got a "Spin Doctors"-feel smiling smiley

Date: March 26, 2021 16:28

DandelionPowderman
MadMax
Witness
KRiffhard

First time I heard it I got a "Spin Doctors"-feel smiling smiley

Hehe yeah Dandy I meant lyric-wise, musically it's deffo Spin Doctorswinking smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 26, 2021 17:03

MadMax
Witness
KRiffhard

As there perhaps are not so many here that will do so: If I myself were to refer in at least some praise to other of the mentionned songs than I did formerly, they instead of yours would have included especially "Doom And Gloom", but, besides, "Gotta Get a Grip", "England Lost", to some extent possibly " One More Shot" and, not by virtue of the album track, but, mark that, the live version from Rome, even "Streets of Love", however
then, yes. I did not buy FORTY LICKS, so I do not really know the four new songs from then, which I have heard fewer than five times spread over time.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 26, 2021 18:02

Not sure what's not to like about Ghost Town, or how anyone could think it's a completely bad song - it's got a groove reminiscent of Harlem Shuffle, the signature guitars, a wailing harmonica,
not too overpolished w/ a slight hint of some reggae/dub production at various points, great background vocals, great lyrics, and for the most part great lead vocals from Mick.
Yeah there's some minor studio trickery with a bit of Micks lead vocals (possibly autotune), but Mick seems to have a penchant for utilizing the "newest" contemporary gimmickry.
And it's not so bad that it takes anything away - in fact the more I listened, the more it actually had the effect of a singing ghost floating around the empty and abandoned streets.
If any other of Micks demos come even close to Ghost Town, there's still reason to have high hopes for new material. And with Keith and Charlie (and Ronnie) adding the Stonesy gravy to the roast,
no doubt they will end up being legit new Stones tunes. And then there's Keith's "dynamite" riffs to ponder...we could be in for something special some day....even if it's just one more tune. Gotta have hope.
And part of that hope is it doesn't sound like KD Lang, the Blackeyed Peas, Kenny Loggins, or any of that other unnecessary garbage Mick seems to have been so easily influenced by over the years...

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 26, 2021 18:24

KRiffhard

I'd be more than happy if they were like the bolded titles above!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 26, 2021 18:34

Rain Fall Down was another decent tune, as was Amnesia, and Heartstopper.
Even Losing My Touch was pretty good - a bit moody and somber, and lyrically quite poignant...

Seems things are in a lockdown
Nervous looks all around
Everyone is speaking in whispers
No one wants to make a sound

Date: March 27, 2021 05:30

Hairball
Not sure what's not to like about Ghost Town, or how anyone could think it's a completely bad song - it's got a groove reminiscent of Harlem Shuffle, the signature guitars, a wailing harmonica,
not too overpolished w/ a slight hint of some reggae/dub production at various points, great background vocals, great lyrics, and for the most part great lead vocals from Mick.
Yeah there's some minor studio trickery with a bit of Micks lead vocals (possibly autotune), but Mick seems to have a penchant for utilizing the "newest" contemporary gimmickry.
And it's not so bad that it takes anything away - in fact the more I listened, the more it actually had the effect of a singing ghost floating around the empty and abandoned streets.
If any other of Micks demos come even close to Ghost Town, there's still reason to have high hopes for new material. And with Keith and Charlie (and Ronnie) adding the Stonesy gravy to the roast,
no doubt they will end up being legit new Stones tunes. And then there's Keith's "dynamite" riffs to ponder...we could be in for something special some day....even if it's just one more tune. Gotta have hope.
And part of that hope is it doesn't sound like KD Lang, the Blackeyed Peas, Kenny Loggins, or any of that other unnecessary garbage Mick seems to have been so easily influenced by over the years...

The effect applied to Mick's vocal is a vocoder. It's used with good taste.

As for the last bit... not taking the bait!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-27 05:32 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 27, 2021 09:09

If we say that Amnesia, Infamy, Losing my Touch, Heartstopper, Doom and Gloom, Rain Fall Down, Mick's Superheavy stuff, Driving too fast, Living in a Ghost Town, Gotta Get a Grip, England Lost, Keys to your Love, Stealing my heart...are good songs...i think we're going through severe withdrawal of Stones new music!!!!

Date: March 27, 2021 11:37

KRiffhard
If we say that Amnesia, Infamy, Losing my Touch, Heartstopper, Doom and Gloom, Rain Fall Down, Mick's Superheavy stuff, Driving too fast, Living in a Ghost Town, Gotta Get a Grip, England Lost, Keys to your Love, Stealing my heart...are good songs...i think we're going through severe withdrawal of Stones new music!!!!

Well Amnesia, Heartstopper, Keys To Your Love, Rain Fall Down, LIAGT and Infamy (live) pisses all over everything else that has been released by other artists since around 2010 except for Dylan's output and maybe one or two other artists like Bowie and Beady Eye. (I thought the latest Who album was really bland and nothing compared with Endless Wire which is a classic IMHO.)

How those songs stand up against Exile On Main St is another matter but then what does?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-27 11:40 by MadMax.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: March 27, 2021 15:23

MadMax
KRiffhard

Well Amnesia, Heartstopper, Keys To Your Love, Rain Fall Down, LIAGT and Infamy (live) pisses all over everything else that has been released by other artists since around 2010 except for Dylan's output and maybe one or two other artists like Bowie and Beady Eye. (I thought the latest Who album was really bland and nothing compared with Endless Wire which is a classic IMHO.)

How those songs stand up against Exile On Main St is another matter but then what does?

Really??? Time to broaden your horizon.

Date: March 27, 2021 15:27

frankotero
Not sure what you mean with “production “. I’m say relevant as being in line with what’s popular at the moment, and having some sort of significance within society as an example.

That's exactly it - the production. It's why DIRTY WORK is so bad and why some people can't stand UNDERCOVER. Instead of just doing what they do, they had to ape the newest thing. They seem to have a tendency to do that poorly. LIAGT is way more subtle with the recent use of a vocoder and doesn't have the samples drum loops noise etc regarding being "relevant".

Date: March 27, 2021 16:02

gimme_shelter
MadMax
KRiffhard

Not worth it mate, I'm happy with the Stones, Oasis, The Who, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Beatles, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Faces and Dylan and all things related to them like Stax, Motown, Chess and Jimmy Reed.

Mind you, I like watching Nicky Minaj videos as long as I don't have to pay attention to the music as it ain't very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-27 16:03 by MadMax.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: March 27, 2021 17:09

Enjoy living in the past then. Boredom galore.

MadMax
gimme_shelter
MadMax
KRiffhard

Not worth it mate, I'm happy with the Stones, Oasis, The Who, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Beatles, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Faces and Dylan and all things related to them like Stax, Motown, Chess and Jimmy Reed.

Mind you, I like watching Nicky Minaj videos as long as I don't have to pay attention to the music as it ain't very good.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 27, 2021 17:28

MadMax

Ha-ha! Likewise thumbs up

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: March 27, 2021 19:48

MadMax
gimme_shelter
MadMax
KRiffhard

Maybe at least not make such statements, if you haven't even tried to hear anything by new artists?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: March 27, 2021 19:54

GhostTown2021
MadMax
gimme_shelter
MadMax
KRiffhard

Maybe at least not make such statements, if you haven't even tried to hear anything by new artists?

Couldn't agree more. Looking at those artists listed... I can't even comprehend being limited to such mediocrity.

Date: March 27, 2021 23:45

Bastion
GhostTown2021
MadMax
gimme_shelter
MadMax
KRiffhard

Couldn't agree more. Looking at those artists listed... I can't even comprehend being limited to such mediocrity.

Hilarious lads! Where do you think you are, in a schoolyard? I don't slag off your tastes in music so don't bother commenting on mine.

Bastion pal, you think Stones are mediocre? Motown? Dylan? Jimmy Reed? Highly interesting I must say. You are aware that you are posting in a Stones forum right? I do like reaggae and old hip-hop like NWA, Dr Dre, Tupac and stuff like that but the new artists of today? Well I rather read a book or listen to Shajarian, a famous traditional iranian musician who croaked a couple of years ago. He is great! That stuff is amazing. Outside of Europe and the US there is great new music I am sure but nothing around here tickles the ears, it's like a contest of who can be the LEAST cool when you look at them in the music magazines. Unless it's the aforementioned Nicky M of course of who I can watch all day. Maybe it is because I am a musician myself? My music is kind of new (only around 15 years) and I love my own music but I haven't written a song in 6-7 years and I will probably never get anywhere with it although I am very proud of my songs.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-28 00:02 by MadMax.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: March 28, 2021 00:06

MadMax
...pisses all over everything else that has been released by other artists since around 2010...

MadMax
I don't slag off your tastes in music...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 28, 2021 04:19

Bastion
MadMax
...pisses all over everything else that has been released by other artists since around 2010...

MadMax

Trapped!

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: March 28, 2021 08:01

MadMax
Hilarious lads! Where do you think you are, in a schoolyard? I don't slag off your tastes in music so don't bother commenting on mine.

I said nothing about your taste in music!

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: March 28, 2021 10:47

472 pages of bullshit.......

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 28, 2021 11:55

strat72
472 pages of bullshit.......

Pretty much, yeah. I’m still checking-in, though!

Date: March 28, 2021 13:19

retired_dog
Bastion
MadMax

MadMax

Trapped!

Did I quote you or your taste while I slagged off stuff after 2010?? Posting backwards, you are the George Martin of this forum!

Date: March 28, 2021 13:23

GhostTown2021
MadMax

I said nothing about your taste in music!

That's true, I apologize Mr GhostTown, I was a bit hurt when you wrote I shouldn't make such statements. It's what I think and the only people who I could've offended with my earlier post would be the new artists releasing music since 2010. Ie people who are DEFFO not on this forum!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-28 13:23 by MadMax.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 28, 2021 13:30

We might as well retitle this thread “When will we be walking on Mars?”The rate things are going our walks will be over by the time they release owt.
For goodness sake get your fingers out and record!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...467468469470471472473474475476477...LastNext
Current Page: 472 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home