Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...464465466467468469470471472473474...LastNext
Current Page: 469 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 28, 2021 11:55

powerage78
Lack of inspiration, no real motivation while time waits for no one, priority to concerts, what else to explain the absence of a new album since 2005...

Sums it up perfectly really, especially the "no real motivation" bit !

The priority since 2012 has been on live shows, and all was going well in that respect until COVID f***ed it all up. Personally, I'll fall over backwards if this "supposed" new album ever actually makes an appearance before we all expire. Them, us, the polar icecap, the entire planet, the universe ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 28, 2021 13:34

paulywaul
powerage78
Lack of inspiration, no real motivation while time waits for no one, priority to concerts, what else to explain the absence of a new album since 2005...

The priority since 2012 has been on live shows, and all was going well in that respect until COVID f***ed it all up. Personally, I'll fall over backwards if this "supposed" new album ever actually makes an appearance before we all expire. Them, us, the polar icecap, the entire planet, the universe ...

Not lack of inspiration per se. Not total lack of motivation. But scarcity in incentives given them to work out thoroughly their song ideas in the studio and perfect them. That scarcity of incentives is a result of the reception to the music they have released over the later decades, leading to a vicious circle between creation and reception for their music. The first fatal instance of this circle I have repeatedly claimed was about the reception to UNDERCOVER. Maybe, though, maybe their latest single was a break through from the said longlasting circle.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 28, 2021 13:48

But everytime a new Rolling Stones album was released I read: "back to old form!" "best since Exile!" smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 28, 2021 13:49

NilsHolgersson
But everytime a new Rolling Stones album was released I read: "back to old form!" "best since Exile!" smileys with beer

...don't forget "best since Some Girls"!!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 28, 2021 14:30

Thing is: how many copies would it sell? How much money would they make? Is it worth the bother?

I want an album, by the way thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 28, 2021 15:06

Big Al
Thing is: how many copies would it sell? How much money would they make? Is it worth the bother?

Christ, they’re artists aren’t they? Artists CREATE. Bothering should have nothing to do with it. IF they are artists still, they should FEEL THE NEED to create. If they don’t feel they need, and ever get back on the road, then they’ll just be, as I have termed them for a few tours now, the Worlds Most Expensive Cruise Ship Band.

Rod

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 28, 2021 15:27

powerage78

right! You only forgot to mention that nobody (except for some die-hard fans) wants or needs a new Stones album
(if anyone doesn't believe this – ask some ordinary people about the Stones last album and see if they are able to name its title or at least one song)

Date: February 28, 2021 15:34

bitusa2012
Big Al

Christ, they’re artists aren’t they? Artists CREATE. Bothering should have nothing to do with it. IF they are artists still, they should FEEL THE NEED to create. If they don’t feel they need, and ever get back on the road, then they’ll just be, as I have termed them for a few tours now, the Worlds Most Expensive Cruise Ship Band.

Creation, though, is, probably much simplified, a successful meeting between conception of song ideas, inspiration, implementation of song ideas, repeated work efforts and maybe slices of luck. As the type of band the Stones have been and now are, they will need to feel there is an eager interest in their new music, for them to have the urge to supply all that is needed. Can they feel that there really is such an eager interest?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 28, 2021 15:44

That would make it a vanity project, I don't think that's gonna happen. A new Stones album will top the album charts no doubt (at least for the week when it's released)

Date: February 28, 2021 16:18

bitusa2012
Big Al

I'm pretty sure they have created a lot. It's the releasing part that's been a bit difficult smiling smiley

Date: February 28, 2021 16:26

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
Big Al

I'm pretty sure they have created a lot. It's the releasing part that's been a bit difficult smiling smiley

Apparently / possibly heightened quality demands on their potensial product this time around?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2021 16:53

bitusa2012
Big Al

LOL yep. Just like The Beach Boys. Obviously with much better songs and actual musicians, though.

The Stones are in a position, realistically, to not care if something sells regarding any album release because of the tons of millions from touring. Fortunately for them, that's how the music "industry" operates now anyway. That may be part of why they haven't bothered - a bit of an archaic mindset although certainly they now understand that songs and albums don't sell.

Some musician artists get busy with creating in other ways than recording music. Some write books. Some do plays. Some produce other musicians. Some do movies. Etc.

That was all fodder when they were in their 30s and 40s. They're almost 80 and, unlike a solo artist, it doesn't seem like they're as interested in getting together as they were two plus decades ago to record.

Artists create, yes, but some of them say the hell with it when they've had 2 solid decades of creativity resulting in 16 albums (including EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATTOO YOU in that because they were recorded in the 1970s), a decade of partial creativity (UNDERCOVER - STEEL WHEELS), two decades of hardly any creativity and a decade of a blues album and a single.

Purposely excluding solo works, bonus material and various archive releases is appropriate. Aside from what little is done for solo material, nary a finger is lifted for anything else.

Maybe Mick should've never made the whole 'it's been ages since we recorded' public and that he's "always writing". 23 LPs by one band is a lot (THE ROLLING STONES through BLUE AND LONESOME). If B&L is the last album, great. They have a lot of albums to listen to.

Where do sites get that that Stones have released 30 studio albums? What the hell are they counting?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 1, 2021 07:22

Hairball
IanBillen

MY HOPE is they hit us with an album this mid fall ...

I'm having a bit of deja vu here Ian as I vividly recall you saying the exact same thing about a new album of originals back in 2016...then 2017...and 2018...and also 2019...not to forget 2020!

Keep on hoping Ian - maybe one of these years your HOPE will finally become a reality...maybe.

Ha Yupp .. Jusss note ... In 2016 we did get a new album .. but is was not the album of original stuff (however it was / truly something to forever behold). I also have assumed that we may get one in the summer of 2017, 18 , 19, and 2020 ... At least I think I did .. it's all almost becoming a blur at this point (<< half of me isn't joking about that last part).

Mr. Billen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2021 09:07

shortfatfanny
treaclefingers
shortfatfanny
GetYerAngie
stargroover
Oh please another Keef album,I would even settle for a Stones album ,but better Keef!He was just getting brilliant with Cross eyed Heart.

Oh please not. Crosseyed Heart was a bore. Hard to listen to more than a couple of times.
If it was a bore,then there's no need to listen to it a couple of times...
I still like listening to it.

I struggled to make through it once. Didn't return.

You shouldn't take it so hard...

Make no mistake, I tried not to, but it's a 'struggle' as I've said.

Next time maybe Keith'll make an album big enough so we can all rockawhile. It will probably require him to be locked away in a kitchen with Mick for things to turn out better. How I wish we could get another album like Talk is Cheap; like maybe he could just whip it up?

It means a lot that he tries, but I feel sometimes like just telling him directly, "you don't move me anymore".

BUT Keith...I'll still buy a ticket to see you the next show god-willing. I saw you in 2019...and I could have stood you up but I di-di-didn't!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 09:18 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: March 13, 2021 20:50

I have read that the next concerts to be released are copacabana 2006 salt lake city 2005 it is true separately combos cd dvd vinyl etc or together

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 13, 2021 22:35

mick64

I have read that the next concerts to be released are copacabana 2006 salt lake city 2005 it is true separately combos cd dvd vinyl etc or together

We don't know it yet - wait (some weeks) for the official announcement by the Stones ....

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 13, 2021 22:40

GasLightStreet

Where do sites get that that Stones have released 30 studio albums? What the hell are they counting?

30 Studio-Albums = 23 UK-Albums + 7 US-Albums .... [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 14, 2021 11:32

Great new material ! eye rolling smileygrinning smiley

Irix
mick64

We don't know it yet - wait (some weeks) for the official announcement by the Stones ....

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 14, 2021 15:29

I readily believe that Mick is constantly writing but it seems that that's enough to satisfy his creative urge. There's rather no more (or very little) urge to also turn that into a finished product. Certainly there's no financial motivation at this point.
I'm not so sure about Keith, who every now and again also claims to be writing songs all the time. By speculation (or as the cliché would have it) I would guess that the outcomes of Mick's writing are perhaps more complete, like you might walk into a studio and record the songs, whereas Keith's are often more like raw ideas. Anyway that seems to be what many if not most of us tend to believe. Yet Keith seems to bring in more or less complete songs as well at times at least, thinking e.g. of the Steel Wheel demos of Keith singing and strumming away on an acoustic guitar, which I remember as complete enough to go on to record them without much further adoo.
Ronnie found his creative outlet in painting, whatever one thinks of it, and then he has never been a regular songwriter for the Stones anyway. I still think it's a pity that he didn't (couldn't) get more involved here.
Well, and Charlie has his horses, his cars and his suits ...
Anyway, the current pandemic situation doesn't really help things. And once they can go out touring, that was it for the new album for another while anyway.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 14, 2021 17:59

doitywoik
Ronnie found his creative outlet in painting, whatever one thinks of it, and then he has never been a regular songwriter for the Stones anyway. I still think it's a pity that he didn't (couldn't) get more involved here.

Yea, this. A lot of potential was left on the table because of this. And it’s not because he wasn’t willing or able to contribute more.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2021 19:00

Ronnie might have been able to help slightly with various contributions, but the fact is he hasn't been very prolific either. If he's ever felt stifled by Mick and Keith he could have easily released more solo material,
but it's been over a decade since his last album, and almost another decade since the one before that. In total, a few sporadic credits on Stones albums over the years, and seven solo albums since 1974 with the
first four between '74 and '81.It's good thing he has painting as a hobby to keep him busy during all the down time, and you gotta give him credit for all of the live guest spots he does with so many other artists,
but to think he could have helped the Stones write and release more material at faster pace over the years? Maybe just a little, but probably nothing more than that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-14 19:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 15, 2021 03:16

Hairball
Ronnie might have been able to help slightly with various contributions, but the fact is he hasn't been very prolific either. If he's ever felt stifled by Mick and Keith he could have easily released more solo material,
but it's been over a decade since his last album, and almost another decade since the one before that. In total, a few sporadic credits on Stones albums over the years, and seven solo albums since 1974 with the
first four between '74 and '81.It's good thing he has painting as a hobby to keep him busy during all the down time, and you gotta give him credit for all of the live guest spots he does with so many other artists,
but to think he could have helped the Stones write and release more material at faster pace over the years? Maybe just a little, but probably nothing more than that.

...and let's not forget about the setlists. Totally prolific there.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 15, 2021 03:17

Witness
paulywaul
powerage78

Not lack of inspiration per se. Not total lack of motivation. But scarcity in incentives given them to work out thoroughly their song ideas in the studio and perfect them. That scarcity of incentives is a result of the reception to the music they have released over the later decades, leading to a vicious circle between creation and reception for their music. The first fatal instance of this circle I have repeatedly claimed was about the reception to UNDERCOVER. Maybe, though, maybe their latest single was a break through from the said longlasting circle.

UNDERCOVER was an odd time for the Stones. MTV had become king in music promotion and they opted to not tour, which was probably a wise choice seeing that they previous year they had just finished the TATTOO YOU tour, and focused on making their most ambitious videos ever. The album lacked what previous albums had had - a bonafide hit single. As memorable as Undercover Of The Night is, U doesn't have a Brown Sugar/Miss You/Start Me Up-esque track.

UOTN, with its modern effects and sounds, had the four on the floor beat but it wasn't slinky like Miss You or Emotional Rescue and lyrically it wasn't exactly... encompassing. I dig the song but it's not a great single.

She Was Hot and Too Much Blood were left field and right field singles, with She Was Hot being a more traditional rocker and Too Much Blood being the most different single they'd ever released. Maybe too different.

What would've probably been a good move: tour REWIND, play 2 or 3 from U.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 15, 2021 06:28

Hairball
.. but to think he could have helped the Stones write and release more material at faster pace over the years? Maybe just a little, but probably nothing more than that.

Ronnie would certainly not have written major parts of Stones albums but the occasional song here and there, or some riff, wouldn't seem unrealistic to me. He certainly seems to find more joy in painting these days. It's true that he didn't release much solo stuff in recent decades. Maybe all by himself he has as much motivation to write songs for solo albums as the Glimmers have to write songs for the Stones. Also, Ronnie's last album didn't really sound much like potential Stones material (or so I remember it, haven't listened to it in a while) - which for a solo album isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Date: March 15, 2021 06:49

Well he does have several credits with the Stones, and chances are he contributed to some other tunes where he received no credit, so it's not like he's done nothing.
I just don't think he's ever had that driving force as a writer or even a co-writer ala Jagger or Richards, etc, and instead has filled a majority of his spare time partying and more recently focused on his painting hobby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-15 06:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 15, 2021 09:04

Yeah it's hard to imagine a new album coming out the moment they're able to start playing shows again. They just waited too long waiting for some kind of magical inspiration they haven't had for decades instead of releasing enjoyable new music (like your average FFSO song or Wanna Tell The Truth, etc.. ) that would have pleased the fans and casual fans alike. Now if they do release an album by some kind of miracle, it's going to be "15+ years of keeping everyone waiting for "something great" (Mick's words) and that's all you have ?!". A tall order for old men who don't get along...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 15, 2021 16:49

lets face it...the outakes is a new Stones album....that's the reality.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 15, 2021 17:20

Rip This
lets face it...the outakes is a new Stones album....that's the reality.

No, I absolutely do believe that we’ll be gifted with a new studio album: it’s just a question of when, exactly. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it’s suddenly announced out of nowhere. It’d create an immediate buzz, too.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 15, 2021 19:01

The Italian press is apparently reporting that Mick is working a new solo album in Sicily...a bit odd but that would pretty much put that ongoing "new album saga" to bed once and for all. Probably for the best at this point even though the songs will be missing Keith's more unusual chords, as seen in the "Mixed Emotions" writing sessions, but they were already mostly missing on ABB anyway.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 15, 2021 19:04

It's probably not matter of fact regarding solo or Stones, but just a generic statement that Mick is working on music in general.
Or maybe something was lost in translation..., i.e. Mick is working alone on new music vs. Mick is working on a solo album.

That said, when the pic of Keith was posted last month with the caption "new music on the horizon", I thought it might have been a reference to solo material as there was no mention of the Stones.
Then a subsequent pic showed him in the studio with Don Was which sort of led me to think it was indeed work for new Stones material.

Whatever the case, no point in holding our breath or expecting anything new imminently - at the rate they've been recording, "the horizon" seems like it could be millions of miles away.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...464465466467468469470471472473474...LastNext
Current Page: 469 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1273
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home