Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...461462463464465466467468469470471...LastNext
Current Page: 466 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Date: February 9, 2021 23:14

DandelionPowderman
DiegoGlimmerStones
Irix
DiegoGlimmerStones

Well this article was written by December apparently (Published on Dec 21, 2020 on Issuu.com) And the recent message posted on social media sites by Keith was published this Feb 5 [www.Facebook.com]

The same with the other Uncut-article about more RS-Singles instead of an Album - [iorr.org] - online published mid August 2020 and printed in the Uncut-Magazine October 2020.

So I think The Stones are getting ready to release another new single

Why? Because Uncut is rehashing old articles - almost word for word? smiling smiley

Well, first of all I consider the recent post by Keith as a signal hopefully

Date: February 10, 2021 01:22

DiegoGlimmerStones
DandelionPowderman
DiegoGlimmerStones
Irix
DiegoGlimmerStones

Well this article was written by December apparently (Published on Dec 21, 2020 on Issuu.com) And the recent message posted on social media sites by Keith was published this Feb 5 [www.Facebook.com]

The same with the other Uncut-article about more RS-Singles instead of an Album - [iorr.org] - online published mid August 2020 and printed in the Uncut-Magazine October 2020.

Why? Because Uncut is rehashing old articles - almost word for word? smiling smiley

Hopefully indeed. But it's not the first picture they've posted.

Date: February 10, 2021 03:08

DandelionPowderman
DiegoGlimmerStones
DandelionPowderman
DiegoGlimmerStones
Irix
DiegoGlimmerStones

Hopefully indeed. But it's not the first picture they've posted.

True. We just have to wait for an update. Maybe well get more info in a new interview

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 18, 2021 14:46

even a really mediocre single or ep could do wonders in terms of lifting up my spirits rn

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 18, 2021 16:09

The mythical 'new album' deserves its own website, never mind its own thread. Maybe I'm getting very old and very grumpy, but I'm bored rigid by this entire subject. There is plenty of potential material out there that would more than suffice. And may be of much higher quality too than new recordings by a band rapidly approaching their 80's. I'm talking about live recordings, out-takes, different versions of familiar material, stuff in the vaults. All of that would need work of course, but the great thing about such work is it would not require the entire band to be in attendance.

I've been very happy with the calibre of additional material released as part of the Goats Head Soup package and other such box sets. I appreciate that many people on this site have much more comprehensive collections of unofficial material than I have and, so, may not be as pleased as I am. But for me, the From The Vaults material, the Live in Atlantic City box set, and similar, are really rather great. And The Stones deserve recognition for releasing them.

Here's to more of the same.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 18, 2021 19:35

"#TBT Feb 3, 2021 with Don Was on upright bass!"

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 18, 2021 23:12

GerardHennessy
The mythical 'new album' deserves its own website, never mind its own thread. Maybe I'm getting very old and very grumpy, but I'm bored rigid by this entire subject. There is plenty of potential material out there that would more than suffice. And may be of much higher quality too than new recordings by a band rapidly approaching their 80's. I'm talking about live recordings, out-takes, different versions of familiar material, stuff in the vaults. All of that would need work of course, but the great thing about such work is it would not require the entire band to be in attendance.

I've been very happy with the calibre of additional material released as part of the Goats Head Soup package and other such box sets. I appreciate that many people on this site have much more comprehensive collections of unofficial material than I have and, so, may not be as pleased as I am. But for me, the From The Vaults material, the Live in Atlantic City box set, and similar, are really rather great. And The Stones deserve recognition for releasing them.

I understand your wish, however what they release will be what they want to do and not what the fans want.
A musician should do what he wants, not what the fans want.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2021 02:47

GerardHennessy

Remember when we almost got MEMORY MOTEL in 1998... or was it to be in 1999? There was an article about it somewhere.

Date: February 19, 2021 02:50

Oops.

MEMORY HOTEL. Which Rocky went on later in that thread to explain was an error by EMI, it's MEMORY MOTEL.

Rocky Dijon
BEYOND THE GROOVE was actually an odd short-lived TV series. A 30 minute format. Only 6 episodes were produced. It was really just a series of music videos strung loosely together by a narrative of David Rappaport taking a road trip. The version of "Memory Motel" used had been cut for PRIMITIVE COOL. A version of "Fool To Cry" was also recorded but has never surfaced.

As for MEMORY HOTEL, a source at Virgin had said it was a planned two-part Japanese CD-single for "Memory Motel." The two discs would have been issued separately as CD singles each with "Memory Motel" plus 3 bonus tracks. One of the six bonus tracks was to have been the outtake, "Ever Changing World." That said, Don Was had discussed doing a proper 2-CD set of outtakes from BRIDGES TO BABYLON, VOODOO LOUNGE, and even a bit of STEEL WHEELS. It would have also included some alternate takes such as a straight bluesy version of "Might As Well Get Juiced" without The Dust Brothers' fingerprints on it. Additional overdubs were required to finish some of the material. Allegedly, Keith was up for it, but Mick wasn't. Don has suggested returning to the project to Universal several times over the last few years.

Mind you, others will dismiss all I have said as completely wrong.

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-19 02:52 by GasLightStreet.

Date: February 19, 2021 03:18

Miss Rocky’s contributions to this board. Hope he returns one day.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 19, 2021 03:47

Testify
GerardHennessy

I understand your wish, however what they release will be what they want to do and not what the fans want.

No problem with what you say at all. In fact you are pretty much agreeing with me. I believe they WANT to continue their current practice of releasing older material, live recordings, out-takes and such. In preference to recording an entire new album. I have no issue either way. It is the endless conversations about 'will-they, won't they' I find boring. A new album would be interesting, although I fear it might not not reach the standard of previous Stones releases. But yes of course, in the end they will do what they decide. Not us. And after 57 years they have earned that right.

Date: February 19, 2021 06:12

makemeburnthecandle
Miss Rocky’s contributions to this board. Hope he returns one day.

It always cracked me up how he'd just kind of cruise along about whatever and then somewhere slip in this massively detailed rich backgrounded story about something that usually had some kind of information in it that has not been heard before. Well, for me, anyway.

People tell me, "You know a lot about plants". Which is true. However, there are a lot of plants I don't know about and I do know those people that make me look like a third grader or a calculator that can't get past geometry in math. Rocky reminds me of them. Ha ha - think you know the Stones?

Think again!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 19, 2021 06:44

GerardHennessy
Testify
GerardHennessy

No problem with what you say at all. In fact you are pretty much agreeing with me. I believe they WANT to continue their current practice of releasing older material, live recordings, out-takes and such. In preference to recording an entire new album. I have no issue either way. It is the endless conversations about 'will-they, won't they' I find boring. A new album would be interesting, although I fear it might not not reach the standard of previous Stones releases. But yes of course, in the end they will do what they decide. Not us. And after 57 years they have earned that right.

Little chance of them reaching the gold standard of their classic albums, but the plethora of mediocre tunes and albums for the last 40 years has set a very low standard that could easily be reached and even surpassed.
With Ghost Town being a fine sampling of their recent work, not to mention the high quality of Crosseyed Heart, I believe there's some great new Stones material to look forward to...not sure when, but hopefully some day.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:08

It would be a huge laugh if they plopped out a deluxe of BLACK AND BLUE in April.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 20, 2021 12:25

Glad you got your crystal ball out there Hairball.
Agree 100 percent over Crosseyed Heart.There is Hope with the Riffmaster at the helm.And let’s appreciate the talents of Mr Wood and get him on board with some of the compositions.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 20, 2021 20:35

stargroover
Agree 100 percent over Crosseyed Heart.There is Hope with the Riffmaster at the helm.And let’s appreciate the talents of Mr Wood and get him on board with some of the compositions.

The recently posted pic doesn't show Keith the Riffmaster, but Keith the piano balladeer. As an admirer of his 1977 Toronto session solo material I hope for something equally good, but the inclusion of Don Was on upright bass also creates the fear that we might get a taste of the Wolf Bros boredom instead.

Date: February 20, 2021 23:44

retired_dog
stargroover

The recently posted pic doesn't show Keith the Riffmaster, but Keith the piano balladeer. As an admirer of his 1977 Toronto session solo material I hope for something equally good, but the inclusion of Don Was on upright bass also creates the fear that we might get a taste of the Wolf Bros boredom instead.

He did all right on Shine A Light (Stripped) smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 21, 2021 00:30

Would this be just a sweatheart thread if we could just get one another Hairball post to tell us once again (a) Mick Jagger is one big scumbag whatever he does , and (b) The Rolling Stones is nothing but a disgrace and hasbeens compared to whatever their arguably big profilic contemporariers, like Dylan, Young, etc. are - of course, Sir Paul McCartney, in his book, is the one exceptional artist: whatever he does, is an act of pure genious artist we idiot Stones fans are never able to understand - go and check his Macca ass-kissing comments in its thread (although the whole world have actually forgotten the guy relaesed an album for Christmas markets)...

Trolling Stones, indeed. I really wonder what is the motivation for people like him to to write in this site.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 00:35 by Doxa.

Date: February 21, 2021 00:43

GerardHennessy

I think you have a good and healthy attitude on this, which actually is not in odds with the attitude of the band and of UMG. Namely, for over the last decade or so their main article has been the vaults stuff. In whatever form, and nothing indicates any end of it, quite the contrary. So more will come, for sure. That something we don't need to worry about....

I think some crucial change happened in especially Mick's attitude by the end of 00's. He probably didn't see much future - or even existence - for the band, and the new deal with UMG (2008) heavily based on the past and for opening the vaults. That's something, as we know, Mick had been famous being heavily against earlier. Was he so disappointed by the reception of A BIGGER BANG or did he just not see The Stones wanting/being able to produce another album/new music or what? It might sound odd now but I would say that for Mick and the rest even the scenario of the Stones performing together some day again was in a jeopardy then (Keith thinking about retirement, etc.).

What goes for new music I think it is safe to say that it is just a side project for touring and releasing vaults stuff. They did quickly two tracks to beef up a greatest hits package to celebrate their 50th Anniversary, and the idea of a new album most likely occurred while touring - 2014? 2015? - and by now the recording process for it has produced two releases - BLUE & LONESOME and "Living In A Ghost Town". As we have seen they really are not that into a new album an sich (nor looks like their record company is - probably for them the great sales of the blues album compansated the money they invested in the new album). It's not that important. It could be for us, but not for them... they might fancy the idea, Mick likes writing and all that, they seemingly enjoy when they (very rarely) gather to the studio together, but - let us be frank - they don't seem to put too much effort and energy into it. Was their career somehow depending on it (like the albums once did), we surely had seen it released years ago. But they are past the stage of them needing to 'prove' being a living and breathing band in terms of releasing new music. They can exist marvelously without it, as we have seen. Since the 'come back' to celebrate their 50 years existence, they have been a touring band. Even the idea of a new album 'justifying' a new tour belongs to the Cohlian past.... I guess for some of us die-hards a 'new album' is needed if not to please us but as in order to give a picture of them as a 'living and breathing band' (like we would still live in the last Century), but I guess the rest of the world have come to terms with that no new Stones music is exactly needed... Mick and co are probably more than awere of that.

I am sure that we will hear new music from them, and I am most interested to hear how it will sound like. Namely, it is done totally 'just for fun' and out of any outer pressure. That's totally different context and scenario that have worked before. What we have heard by now - B&L and "Ghost Town" - I think they've been best things they've done for ages, sounding interestingly inspired and fresh. Also Mick's single showed freshness and spark and is a Spotify hit - although some conservative Stones fans here showing good ole' Trump-like anti-Mickness - and Keith's album was a showcase of his artistic independence and ability.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 01:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 21, 2021 01:14

The longer this goes on the less interest I have in the Stones. Just get ya shit together and put seven or eight tunes out between the three. My gosh

Date: February 21, 2021 01:27

black n blue
The longer this goes on the less interest I have in the Stones. Just get ya shit together and put seven or eight tunes out between the three. My gosh

Yeah? Your interest in the Stones depends on their ability to come up with something new material to satisfy ya? If not, forget it. Like the last 59 years does not mean anything?

If true, I am impressed that someone actually follows the Stones as such an on-going concern. Like they really matter so much. Like, to use an old slogan, a 'living and breathing band'...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 01:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 21, 2021 02:52

Yeah it does matter. I wanna hear if they can put out something really god. Bite me

Date: February 21, 2021 03:30

Sounds like Doxa's obnoxiously drunk again...eye rolling smiley
An arrogant and wicked little old man billowing out more of his hogwash...a real shithead.

Date: February 21, 2021 03:59

Hairball, isn't there some Beatles board or something in where you could spread all your love for Macca and anti-Stones/Jagger stuff? To see the amount of negative shit you constantly throw here is just unbelievable... the term 'trolling' might be the right to describe your behavior... You get some pervert/sick satisfaction of that or are you just a nasty person by nature?

- Doxa

Date: February 21, 2021 04:01

Doxa- go crawl back in your hole you wicked little old man.

Date: February 21, 2021 04:26

Why I am sick and tired with Hairball? Because small-minded 'contributers' like him - throwing all the time that negativity and bitching, which doesn't have anything to do with actual criticism - is the reason why some truely substantive contributers like Rocky Dijon has left this board.

Now go on, Hairball, and tell for the bloody millionth time your precious "opinion" of the same thing again and again. I am sure you will. You are such a Big Man. A True Artist I guess. The feel of empathy, or taking any other people under consideration, most likely isn't your kinda thing.

- Doxa

Date: February 21, 2021 04:38

What a real shithead you are for derailing this thread the way you have - thumbs down
Things seemed quite pleasant here recently until you decided to piss all over it...such a weak and wicked little old man you are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 04:38 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 21, 2021 05:17

Doxa
Why I am sick and tired with Hairball? Because small-minded 'contributers' like him - throwing all the time that negativity and bitching, which doesn't have anything to do with actual criticism - is the reason why some truely substantive contributers like Rocky Dijon has left this board.

- Doxa

Forgive me for chiming in, but this simply isn't true. My decision to stop posting here had nothing to do with Hairball. Doxa, Bard, Gaslight, Terry, Jody, hopkins, gotdablouse, jumpingkentflash, Gazza, and so many others are people whose posts I still seek out to see what you make of things. Hairball and I may have irritated one another on occasion, but the guy is just another opinionated fan, just like me and you and everyone else here. I bear him no ill will.

The truth is the last posts I made as a regular contributor were deleted. Probably very few people even saw them. I'm not pissed about it any more, but it was the right decision to leave. The whole incident made me take a good hard look at the amount of time I gave not just this place, but the time I would spend outside of here talking to people about the band and their alleged inner workings. Some of it was fascinating and proved correct and some of it was wrong whether deliberate or not. All of it was time better spent being productive. A point my old sparring partner Revvy tried making to me several times. I still listen to the Stones. I still visit here to see what's going on and because I like so many of the people who post here. Life is too short to spend precious time on things that don't matter like feuds. I wish everyone good health and happiness. Take good care of your loved ones. Nothing lasts forever. Even The Stones.

Date: February 21, 2021 05:25

Thanks for the positive words Rocky Dijon, and it's great to see you back again even if it might just be temporary, but hope to see you chime in again more often. thumbs up

But back on topic...and hopefully without any more odd detours...

stargroover

thumbs up

Yes stargroover, most agree that Crosseyed Heart is a 100% fine album, and unlike the semi-average Blue and Lonesome covers album, it is mostly original tunes showing that Keith still has it and can do it on his own.
And again Ghost Town - some fans weren't too fond of it, but loved it - I must have played that single a million times. It was good to have the Stones back w/ a solid original tune, even if it was just one tune.

On a semi-related note of old timer British bands from the '60's that most of us love - word has it that The Who might have another new album soon after just releasing their last new album back in Dec. 2019!
As relatively small as the Who's recorded output and catalogue has been over the many years, amazing to see them this prolific this late in their career, and makes you wonder what the hell the Stones are waiting for.

Via Udiscovermusic.com: WHO

Townshend reveals that he has written 25 songs, of which he has already shown 15 to frontman Roger Daltrey.
“Right now, I’m in that space where I’ve got my studio set up, my acoustic and electric guitars, a drum box, all there ready to go,” he says.
“There’s pages and pages of draft lyrics. So if the moment comes, I’ll go in and start.”

Looking forward to it. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 05:27 by Hairball.

Date: February 21, 2021 05:49

Cheers, Rocky Dijon! Thanks for your appearance. Feels like years ago when I managed to provoke StonesTod to turn up...

Yeah, so beautiful to go "back to topic", and Hairball to tell about how much he loves Keith's latest solo album and the man, and even the latest Stones single, and, of course, that there might be some other contemporary of theirs to release an album! YES YES YES! Shame those Stones - the lazy bastards! Just leaves me wonder what might he think about Jagger's latest single.... (but I am sure we will hear that hundreds of times in this thread...)

Yep, nothing new under the sun. I understand you, Rocky Dijon. You are a wise man. Take care.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 05:51 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...461462463464465466467468469470471...LastNext
Current Page: 466 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home