Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...459460461462463464465466467468469...LastNext
Current Page: 464 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 22, 2020 14:49

MileHigh
Well, there's no more record stores to go to when it gets released. What's a poor boy supposed to do?

Gotta order it online, I guess. I went to four stores last week to try and buy the new AC/DC album with no luck. Unfortunately, the days of buying new CDs at brick and mortar stores are pretty much over. The question is do you double dip and buy the digital download too if one isn't automatically offered with the physical CD purchase?

I still remember going to Tower and buying Bridges To Babylon at midnight. Good times.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 22, 2020 15:00

jahisnotdead

I still remember going to Tower and buying Bridges To Babylon at midnight. Good times.

Nowadays you can go to Streaming-Services and listening to the latest releases at midnight. Good times too.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 27, 2020 17:24

Hairball
Someone mentioned there should be a book written about the saga of this album - well I had a dream....

Titled The Imaginary Album (A Never Ending Work in Progress):

The tale of an imaginary album supposedly being worked on by a band of legends who tell tall tales to the press and fans in attempt to deceive them to thinking the band is still creative and functional. While the band knows their bread and butter is made from live shows and their legendary catalogue from decades ago, the press and fans will have none of it and demand something new. Trapped in a corner under pressure, the band gather and concoct a conspiracy to fool everyone outside of their circle in to thinking they're actually working on a new album!

Join in the laughter while the story describes the band hitting an imaginary wall, including imaginary meetings at the studio, followed by an imaginary disagreement between the two head honchos over what songs to include, and also an imaginary statement from their record label calling their recent work "uneven". The hilarious ups and downs continue while the concocted stories become more and more surreal...(the lead singer has become a perfectionist who is holding everything up!). Eventually the guitar player hatches a plan and convinces the rest to release a single new tune after five years in an attempt to silence the press and the fans momentarily, but seemingly this backfires as the song is so good that the press and fans demand more! The period of peace and quiet surrounding the great new tune doesn't last long as the questions continue. "Where is the new album"? can be heard from every fan and reporter across the land!

- A Deluxe version of the book includes 100 blank pages provided to the reader to fill in the rest of the story. Nobody knows exactly where and when it will end, but it's all imaginary fun so it doesn't really matter!

- Super Deluxe edition included two blank cd's, two blank cassettes, and a double album featuring nothing but imaginary silence.

This isn’t a dream. “Chinese Democracy”, anyone?

Rod

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 27, 2020 20:17

Thread titles, dates, etc ...

Another album in 2017 ?
dec 2016
pg. 1

Another Stones studio album in 2018 ?
july 2017
pg. 67

New Stones album for 2019 ?
Oct. 2018
pg.207

New Stones album for 2020 ?
Dec. 2019
pg.400

New Stones album for 2021 ?
Nov. 2020
Pg. 464

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2020 03:17

I've been pondering what is the point to continue buying CDs when there's no need anymore. Part of me wants to continue the hard copy catalog of the bands/artists I like but I look at them while I listen online and... they go on the shelf. It's a passing moment of satisfaction that amounts to nothing but spending money. A super deluxe reissue of an album, especially one with interviews that apparently don't show up online somehow, is great but how often do I want to spend that much money?

The GHS double disc reissue is the last CD release I bought. There have been new releases of other things I have opted not to buy and I probably won't. I bought BLUE AND LONESOME and enjoyed it then but things have changed online since then in regard to what I have and how I use whatever.

I suppose if there is a new Stones album I'll get it because it will be the last one. After FORTY LICKS I knew not to ever buy a new hits compilation again. HONK is on Spotify but after that the most recent one is MADE IN THE SHADE and of course the regular ABKCO comps are there (both HOT ROCKS and both BIG HITS).

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 28, 2020 05:27

Are you wondering whether CDs are worth buying, or are you wondering whether music is worth buying anymore? If its the physical artifact you are talking about, then I can see not wanting to bother with the physical product, downloading the music might be sufficient. Thats mostly what I do at Amazon, many music products are available for instant download (mp3 format) while you wait for the actual product to arrive. To me, it almost makes the actual product redundant, until I want to play it on a decent system anyway. The mp3 suffices for my computer and that is kind of increasingly what I listen to. Personally, I like the artifact but thats because I have had the collectors disease long time now.

But note you are still buying the music, unless what you are wondering about is whether you should bother to pay for music, or just, more or less, steal it. In that case I think it only right to support the artists by buying their music, not getting free downloads (unless they themselves are giving them away of course) out of some pirate site. I know a number of people who have a music "collection" almost exclusively made up of shady download source material, who are very proud of its completeness or something, but to me its just a memorial to a cheapskate who doesn't really support the music he says he loves so much.

And thats totally aside from the issue of physical product taking up space, weighing one down, etc.

I do think you agree with me and I am pretty certain you are talking the first case and not the second, just wanted to make the distinction.

jb

Date: November 29, 2020 03:22

jbwelda
Are you wondering whether CDs are worth buying, or are you wondering whether music is worth buying anymore? If its the physical artifact you are talking about, then I can see not wanting to bother with the physical product, downloading the music might be sufficient. Thats mostly what I do at Amazon, many music products are available for instant download (mp3 format) while you wait for the actual product to arrive. To me, it almost makes the actual product redundant, until I want to play it on a decent system anyway. The mp3 suffices for my computer and that is kind of increasingly what I listen to. Personally, I like the artifact but thats because I have had the collectors disease long time now.

But note you are still buying the music, unless what you are wondering about is whether you should bother to pay for music, or just, more or less, steal it. In that case I think it only right to support the artists by buying their music, not getting free downloads (unless they themselves are giving them away of course) out of some pirate site. I know a number of people who have a music "collection" almost exclusively made up of shady download source material, who are very proud of its completeness or something, but to me its just a memorial to a cheapskate who doesn't really support the music he says he loves so much.

And thats totally aside from the issue of physical product taking up space, weighing one down, etc.

I do think you agree with me and I am pretty certain you are talking the first case and not the second, just wanted to make the distinction.

jb

I have no issue paying for music I want to listen to and have used Amazon to buy the record and enjoy the free download (when it's available - some haven't). I do use Spotify mostly though, and have a YouTube Music account (that I can't stand in terms of how to use it - it's horrible). I have a new laptop so no music is on it like I have on my PC which has, apparently, my entire CD collection except for the recent GHS, so I mostly listen to music I already own on Spotify.

When Google got rid of Play Music and I saw everything I bought through GPM plus Amazon moved over plus uploaded from CD all appear to be on YTM I started to wonder if I actually own what I paid for via GPM, which were only downloads, partly because now I have to listen to commercials interrupt the music I bought - and those morons want me and everyone else to pay a fee to not have commercials to listen to music we bought via GPM?

Grubbers. And since YTM is absolutely beyond ridiculous to navigate, Spotify, which I didn't like, suddenly made more sense in terms of listening to what I already own, even with commercials, because at least I could find what I wanted to listen to.

I will be using Amazon only (at this point) regarding download purchases. I will probably still get CD releases, hopefully with the free download, but I might get picky and only get the download, especially if it's cheaper than the CD, if there's no free download with the CD, otherwise... it's just one more thing to collect dust, and I live in a funky house that has dust rain down whether it's still out or a hurricane is blowing by. I've contemplated paying the monthly fee for commercial free Spotify but I just don't listen to music enough to really justify it, even though it's probably cheaper than buying 2 LPs: at the very least I know the artist gets more money from me buying the download of their LP than what crumbs they get from Spotify.

Then there is the dream of finally having a proper stereo system again that will shake the lizards out of the beams volume wise and I know that will sound best with CDs than downloads (except for lossless, I suppose). What I have gets OK loud right now but I want to be able to hear it a block away.

It comes down to not having the CDs pile up anymore. But given how many a year I buy as it is since 2007 it's probably not a big deal but it's one of those things that suddenly just appears to have amounted to a lot of space being taken up. I do like the hard copy but it's come down to the simple question of Do I really need to buy CDs anymore? I do like seeing the collections though.

Still waiting to see what happens to the movie industry and actors still getting paid gazillions with less people going to theatres, regardless of COVID, which has obviously sped up the demise of the industry incredibly fast, because of streaming services like Amazon and Netflix blah blah blah.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 30, 2020 00:03

I'm thinking they should release a double album in 2021: one side has their new stuff, and one side has some of their old songs but rerecorded with guests. Like Wild Horses with Taylor Swift, Miss You with Ed Sheeran, Satisfaction with Ariana Grande, etc. It would introduce them to a whole new audience. Kids are already wearing the Stones tongue t-shirts, they would love those duets and the Stones would trend on spotify.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 30, 2020 00:38

Their 'old songs' have never been more easily accessible. You can find them (usually for free) on the internet within seconds. Why bother prostituting themselves to re-record inferior versions to pander to the likes of Ariana Grande fans? They wont care anyway and what impact it'll make will be forgotten about in about a week anyway.

Date: November 30, 2020 02:49

NilsHolgersson
I'm thinking they should release a double album in 2021: one side has their new stuff, and one side has some of their old songs but rerecorded with guests. Like Wild Horses with Taylor Swift, Miss You with Ed Sheeran, Satisfaction with Ariana Grande, etc. It would introduce them to a whole new audience. Kids are already wearing the Stones tongue t-shirts, they would love those duets and the Stones would trend on spotify.

There's one called HONK that has something like that, which is ridiculous enough as it is, and it's highly unlikely fans of those would care about them singing with a bunch of old farts.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: November 30, 2020 03:03

50 outtakes
+
10 new

RS 60th

Date: November 30, 2020 05:00

mariano
50 outtakes
+
10 new

RS 60th

That makes more sense than anything else! Better than another silly hits comp!

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: November 30, 2020 06:16

smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 30, 2020 10:46

mariano
50 outtakes
+
10 new

RS 60th

Agree hot smiley

Date: December 1, 2020 17:25

KRiffhard
mariano
50 outtakes
+
10 new

RS 60th

Agree hot smiley
+2 thumbs uphot smiley

Date: December 1, 2020 17:32

From a new Interview with Chuck:

Since The Stones have been working on a new studio album in spurts for a few years now, I ask Leavell about the nature of those tracks.

“You have to understand I haven’t been involved in all the recordings,” Leavell says, “so there’s a lot of things that I haven’t even heard that I know they’ve worked on. But what I have worked on I think is quite diverse. There’s stuff that’s rockin’ and hard-drivin’, and there’s stuff that’s ballad-like. And there’s some quirky fun ones – the Stones are always known for not being afraid to try things. My contributions have been 95 percent on the piano, which I really love doing.”

[www.al.com]

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: December 1, 2020 18:27

NilsHolgersson

Please no! The Stones should stick with their target audience

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 1, 2020 19:04

Captain Teague
NilsHolgersson

Why?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: December 1, 2020 19:34

Captain Teague
NilsHolgersson

Why only target the retirement homes?

Posted by: HTD ()
Date: December 1, 2020 19:42

Can only speak to my experience, but I was able to transfer all my Google Play Music purchases to YouTube Music without any problem. I bought all the Stones Archive releases GPM had for sale when they came out. They are now in "My Library" on YouTube Music and they all play without commercials.

I've now probably uploaded more than 30 albums (converted to mp3) to "My Library" and they all play without commercials. I've made playlists from them and they all play without commercials.

I now stream them all in my car through my phone and it all works well. Saves me a lot of CD-Rs.

As far as the YouTube Music interface goes, I do all the uploading from my computer. After using it a few times, it gets to be fairly intuitive.

I wasn't optimistic about the death of GPM and the transfer to YouTube Music, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

As far as physical product goes, I still buy it. That enables me to upload what I want and stream it without the commercials.

I do have a lot of mp3's from Amazon, mostly because of the free downloads through AutoRip after I buy the CD. While Amazon and iTunes will likely always be around, I always worried about accessing my online music because of what just happened to GPM. It wasn't like Google isn't making money. They just pulled the plug because apparently it wasn't making enough money. I'm sure that won't be the last streaming service to quit.

Duck

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:01

DiegoGlimmerStones
From a new Interview with Chuck:

Since The Stones have been working on a new studio album in spurts for a few years now, I ask Leavell about the nature of those tracks.

“You have to understand I haven’t been involved in all the recordings,” Leavell says, “so there’s a lot of things that I haven’t even heard that I know they’ve worked on. But what I have worked on I think is quite diverse. There’s stuff that’s rockin’ and hard-drivin’, and there’s stuff that’s ballad-like. And there’s some quirky fun ones – the Stones are always known for not being afraid to try things. My contributions have been 95 percent on the piano, which I really love doing.”

[www.al.com]

Sounds like he has absolutely no idea regarding anything about the new album other than some generic/vague descriptions that anyone could have thought up.

"rockin’ and hard-drivin’"..."ballad-like"... "quirky fun ones"...blah, blah, blah

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:02

NilsHolgersson

I think they had such a concept in mind during 50 And Counting tour when they had all these 'hot' guests duetting with them, and they did mostly different songs as well (Lady Gaga, Eddie Shearan, Taylor Swift, Kate Perry, etc.). I recall reading about it at the time, but was there some contractual issues standing in the way or something. Some of it was realized in HONK, though.

- Doxa

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:38

Doxa
NilsHolgersson

I think they had such a concept in mind during 50 And Counting tour when they had all these 'hot' guests duetting with them, and they did mostly different songs as well (Lady Gaga, Eddie Shearan, Taylor Swift, Kate Perry, etc.). I recall reading about it at the time, but was there some contractual issues standing in the way or something. Some of it was realized in HONK, though.

- Doxa

Knowing how this business works I'm pretty sure that 'contractual issues' were the smallest problem (if any at all). Listening to the available audience recordings I think it's apparent that most of the performances themselves don't cut the mustard, a thing they may have realized themselves when listening to the actual tapes a bit closer.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:53

retired_dog

Knowing how this business works I'm pretty sure that 'contractual issues' were the smallest problem (if any at all). Listening to the available audience recordings I think it's apparent that most of the performances themselves don't cut the mustard, a thing they may have realized themselves when listening to the actual tapes a bit closer.

I agree. Probably one of those things that sounded good in a theory - 'let's give it a try' - but the outcome was nothing to praise about ('forget it..')

Bot what goes for those potential contractual issues it is interesting that in Spotify the duet with Eddie Sheeran in HONK ("Beast of Burden") is listed but not any streams is counted. I don't know if the song is there at all to listen to or not, but that's odd.

Most likely those stream numbers would be tremendous if counted....

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 20:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 1, 2020 21:14

Doxa
retired_dog

I agree. Probably one of those things that sounded good in a theory - 'let's give it a try' - but the outcome was nothing to praise about ('forget it..')

Bot what goes for those potential contractual issues it is interesting that in Spotify the duet with Eddie Sheeran in HONK ("Beast of Burden") is listed but not any streams is counted. I don't know if the song is there at all to listen to or not, but that's odd.

Most likely those stream numbers would be tremendous if counted....

- Doxa

That's strange indeed, because it's on the physical release obviously, but not available on Spotify. It's shown in the tracklist, but is not playable.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 1, 2020 22:45

retired_dog

That's strange indeed, because it's on the physical release obviously, but not available on Spotify. It's shown in the tracklist, but is not playable.

Not available at all on [Music.Apple.com] , respectively deactivated: [Music.Apple.com] - at least it seems to be no Spotify-boycott.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-02 00:50 by Irix.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 1, 2020 23:05

thank god at least we have been spared the duet record
up until now

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2020 00:29

maumau
thank god at least we have been spared the duet record
up until now

thumbs up

The only duets to be considered should be KEITH and MICK!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 2, 2020 03:45

Oh yes. Sure. Definitely. I'm making plans to take a month off to really give it a go.
Of course. O5 then 21. See?
It makes sense.
Sweet Little 16 years
Keith's idea to wait.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 2, 2020 08:44

MileHigh
Well, there's no more record stores to go to when it gets released. What's a poor boy supposed to do?

Singing for a rock'n'roll band would seem pedestrian.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...459460461462463464465466467468469...LastNext
Current Page: 464 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home