Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...458459460461462463464465466467468...LastNext
Current Page: 463 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Date: November 18, 2020 15:21

peoplewitheyes
Is it right that Keith urged Mick to put out LIAGT?

I thought Mick called all the shots, and that his cards were on the table?

Maybe Keith pulled the ace this time...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 18, 2020 15:40

Father Ted

Is it worth the effort now to produce a new album when the likelihood is that only one new song will be played live, sporadically, on the next tour before disappearing into the waste bin of forgotten tracks?

Yes, it's worth the effort - to show, that they're still 'The Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World', that they're still artistically active and because it's their last Studio-Album.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: November 18, 2020 16:28

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 18, 2020 17:07

Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
retired_dog
what Dylan, Young, Springsteen do (in fact releasing albums that in reality don't add much to what they already did during their heydays and consequently get usually forgotten shortly after their release dates)...

Yep - and that includes the Stones, though sadly it's been 15 years since they released an album of originals that really didn't add much to what they did in their heyday, and most have forgotten about - including many fans.
It would be easier to understand the lack of creativity/productivity if they didn't continuously talk about releasing a new album during interviews, yet this thread clearly shows they've been talking about it for years now.
But the other bands and artists who actually do release new music on a a regular basis usually DON'T talk about it in every interview they give while misleading their fans in the process - that's the difference.
Action speaks louder than words, and talk is cheap indeed. Again, maybe with the positive reception to Ghost Town, they'll possibly get a bit more motivated and release another new and original single.
No matter how good or bad it could be, it's gotta better time spent than doctoring up forgotten/throwaway junk like Scarlett and All the Rage - both completely useless in the big picture.

Maybe it's because they're constantly getting asked about new material? In this business you rarely get brutally honest answers like "Look, we're happy that we're still able to do shows, and successful ones at that, but new material? No, there's little inspiration whatsoever because there's not much we could add to what we've already done! Too much effort for just too little revenue. And for the shows we don't need new material anyway because there's more than enough stuff we could play from our back catalog!"

But apparently they have recorded at least something over the course of the past years. How much really, remains to be seen. I'd say their 60th Anniversary is the date to look forward to.

To think they're all basically lying to the press whenever they've been asked about a new album sounds a bit cynical, though I suppose there could be some truth to that.
But then there's all the documented time they've actually spent in a studio working on the new album - either all together, or alone as Keith was just doing. Seems for the past five years or so, the goal has been to finish a new album just as they've been saying in all the interviews - Charlie actually thought it should have been finished a long time ago saying "where's the new album"?. They even squeezed out an entire album of blues covers in order to clean the slate and start fresh! Yet for some reason they can't get it done. Mick has now become a "perfectionist" for some oddball reason, but the troubles, delays, and detours started way back when they hit the wall. Then there were disagreements over song selection (Getta Grip). Then Universal called all of the material "uneven". Then it was back to the old drawing board. It's all here in this lengthy thread! But you're saying this is all a charade they've been putting on, even twisting the truth when talking to the press? Remember - they've spent loads of time in the studio over the last five or so years, and the only reason for doing that would be to complete and release a new album - just as they've been saying all along. Through all of this turmoil though, they were miraculously able to release Ghost Town thanks to Keith's urging and insistence, so maybe that's a hint towards the future...more singles sporadically released on a whim. `Not sure what will happen for the 60th anniversary, but not gonna hold my breath for a new album - a new single will do, and maybe a re-release of another old album.

No, I did not say that they're "basically lying", but maybe my fictional "brutally honest answer" is a bit misleading and should have been supplemented by an "even if it were the case" - remark.

What I meant is that as professionals, they've learned to twist and turn factual events or non-events in whatever way that suits the image of their band best - exxagerating here, downplaying there.

I mean, it's a huge difference between "working on 30 (or was it even 40?) new tracks, some classic Stones, but also some pretty surprising stuff" and even Charlie mentioning lots of sessions and asking "Where's the album?" some years ago already while at the moment, according to Mick and Keith, it looks like it's not more than a handful of songs, 5 or 6, of which LIAGT is already released, "all recorded early last year", means in 2019 - as if nothing before ever existed and no sessions before ever happened.

I think it's obvious that something doesn't quite add up here. But still, people like you take everything they say, every interview quote that's appearing along the line all too literally and start pages-long discussions as if everything they say is a god-like announcement, apparently in particular quotes from Keith, whereas Jagger tends to get ridiculed by some here (including you).

Bottom line is, yes, they are working on new material. Whenever they're up for it and when circumstances allow it. If it's really 30 or 40 tracks (probably including reworked outtakes) or just 5 or 6, well, it does not really matter. Could be an album or a bunch of singles. We simply don't know.

Do they know yet?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-18 17:19 by retired_dog.

Date: November 18, 2020 17:55

The new Stones Studio-Album: "The perfect collection of 10 Tracks"

Don Was (1-Aug-2019): “We continue to start songs and it’s such a varied group of songs. We probably have 40 and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined; right now, it could go any way. And there’s some really good stuff in there. And there’s a sense that making a ‘good album’ is not good enough - it’s gotta be great. So, I think when we feel we’ve got 10 things that are great an album will come out.” -- [iorr.org]

Mick (23-Apr-2020): “Long time ago. Last original Stones. Yeah, it was so long. And I think one of the problems I personally have with it is that it’s suddenly that you want it to be really good. So I don’t just want it to be a good album, I want it to be great. You know? Yes, I’m very hard on myself. If I write something or if I write something with Keith Richards or whatever, it’s going to be great. It can’t just be good." -- [iorr.org] .

Keith (11-Nov-2020): "Mick and I fling a few ideas across the Atlantic, occasionally. Apart from that, I did get one session in with Don Was to do some overdubs about three weeks ago. It was a daring adventure, going into the city. But we’re stuck halfway through. We’ve got maybe five, six tracks. One of which was “Living in a Ghost Town”. -- [iorr.org]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2020 19:01

Someone mentioned there should be a book written about the saga of this album - well I had a dream....

Titled The Imaginary Album (A Never Ending Work in Progress):

The tale of an imaginary album supposedly being worked on by a band of legends who tell tall tales to the press and fans in attempt to deceive them to thinking the band is still creative and functional. While the band knows their bread and butter is made from live shows and their legendary catalogue from decades ago, the press and fans will have none of it and demand something new. Trapped in a corner under pressure, the band gather and concoct a conspiracy to fool everyone outside of their circle in to thinking they're actually working on a new album!

Join in the laughter while the story describes the band hitting an imaginary wall, including imaginary meetings at the studio, followed by an imaginary disagreement between the two head honchos over what songs to include, and also an imaginary statement from their record label calling their recent work "uneven". The hilarious ups and downs continue while the concocted stories become more and more surreal...(the lead singer has become a perfectionist who is holding everything up!). Eventually the guitar player hatches a plan and convinces the rest to release a single new tune after five years in an attempt to silence the press and the fans momentarily, but seemingly this backfires as the song is so good that the press and fans demand more! The period of peace and quiet surrounding the great new tune doesn't last long as the questions continue. "Where is the new album"? can be heard from every fan and reporter across the land!

- A Deluxe version of the book includes 100 blank pages provided to the reader to fill in the rest of the story. Nobody knows exactly where and when it will end, but it's all imaginary fun so it doesn't really matter!

- Super Deluxe edition included two blank cd's, two blank cassettes, and a double album featuring nothing but imaginary silence.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 18, 2020 19:09

They have been doing something similar to that for the past twenty years.

jb

Date: November 18, 2020 19:34

retired_dog
But still, people like you take everything they say, every interview quote that's appearing along the line all too literally and start pages-long discussions as if everything they say is a god-like announcement, apparently in particular quotes from Keith

This is simply untrue - I've called Keith out many times for talking bullshit...
"Album sounds great"...."coming along nicely"...."working on it"..."ready next year maybe"..."we're just getting started"..."I've written thousands of tunes"... "we have four or five completed"...or "six or seven"...

But aside from those twisted truths, the gist of it all is that they continuously claim to be working on a new album.
In an interview published just last week Keith mentioned going at it alone w/Don Was for overdubs, calling it a "daring adventure...going into the city"...was this also a fabrication?

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: November 18, 2020 21:04

Even if it never materializes, this album needs a 33 1/3 book devoted to it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 18, 2020 21:21

Irix
The new Stones Studio-Album: "The perfect collection of 10 Tracks"

Don Was (1-Aug-2019): “We continue to start songs and it’s such a varied group of songs. We probably have 40 and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined; right now, it could go any way. And there’s some really good stuff in there. And there’s a sense that making a ‘good album’ is not good enough - it’s gotta be great. So, I think when we feel we’ve got 10 things that are great an album will come out.” -- [iorr.org]

Mick (23-Apr-2020): “Long time ago. Last original Stones. Yeah, it was so long. And I think one of the problems I personally have with it is that it’s suddenly that you want it to be really good. So I don’t just want it to be a good album, I want it to be great. You know? Yes, I’m very hard on myself. If I write something or if I write something with Keith Richards or whatever, it’s going to be great. It can’t just be good." -- [iorr.org] .

Keith (11-Nov-2020): "Mick and I fling a few ideas across the Atlantic, occasionally. Apart from that, I did get one session in with Don Was to do some overdubs about three weeks ago. It was a daring adventure, going into the city. But we’re stuck halfway through. We’ve got maybe five, six tracks. One of which was “Living in a Ghost Town”. -- [iorr.org]

The sessions for this record started 5 years ago next month. It seems to be going backwards. Maybe by this time next year they'll end up with nothing at all.

Date: November 18, 2020 21:35

Gazza

It seems to be going backwards.

Looks like from the 40 Tracks since 2012 currently are only 5 Tracks 'usable' for the new, 'great' Studio-Album of 10 Tracks. That's why Keith says: "We’re stuck halfway through".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-18 21:40 by Irix.

Date: November 18, 2020 21:53

CousinC
I wonder about the stuff recorded after ABB.
Didn't Charlie say he thought the album was ready years ago?
Seems they started all over again.
But there has to be some more material in the can.

There Is a rumor that a Canadian radio station told that Keef & Mick were writing new songs for a new studio album In November 2009

[iorr.org]

Date: November 18, 2020 22:27

Irix
Gazza

It seems to be going backwards.

Looks like from the 40 Tracks since 2012 currently are only 5 Tracks 'usable' for the new, 'great' Studio-Album of 10 Tracks. That's why Keith says: "We’re stuck halfway through".

I think they are working on new songs and finishing the 40 tracks with new ideas, new lyrics and then record a bit more, so they can choose the rest of the 10 tracks more easily

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-18 22:28 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2020 22:51

relax ... It's The Rolling Stones .....
They've always done things their way .....

They roll in an orbit of their own ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 19, 2020 00:00

Rockman

Like Kraftwerk: 17 years between their last 2 Studio-Albums - or like ABBA: 2 new Tracks after 36 years .... winking smiley

Date: November 19, 2020 00:03

Mamma Mia !!!! .... 2 tracks in 36 years ...

Musta hit an ice wall ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 19, 2020 00:09

Hairball
retired_dog
But still, people like you take everything they say, every interview quote that's appearing along the line all too literally and start pages-long discussions as if everything they say is a god-like announcement, apparently in particular quotes from Keith

This is simply untrue - I've called Keith out many times for talking bullshit...
"Album sounds great"...."coming along nicely"...."working on it"..."ready next year maybe"..."we're just getting started"..."I've written thousands of tunes"... "we have four or five completed"...or "six or seven"...

But aside from those twisted truths, the gist of it all is that they continuously claim to be working on a new album.
In an interview published just last week Keith mentioned going at it alone w/Don Was for overdubs, calling it a "daring adventure...going into the city"...was this also a fabrication?

Ouch!

Date: November 19, 2020 00:12

Rockman
relax ... It's The Rolling Stones .....
They've always done things their way .....

They have mastered the art of teasing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 01:04 by retired_dog.

Date: November 19, 2020 00:14

.... Foreplay ... who dont like that .... hhhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: November 19, 2020 00:16

In reality, it's more like they've mastered the art of procrastinating....

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: November 20, 2020 05:22

Maybe Andrew Oldham needs to lock Mick and Keith up in a kitchen overnight, and not let them out until they write a new song.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 20, 2020 09:35

If the (5/6?) songs already recorded are just decent Mick's solo stuff like "Living in a Ghost Town" or "Doom and Gloom"...i would prefer new solo albums by Mick, Keef and Ronnie.
There is no need for a new album that is a 'collage' of solo tracks with 'Stones' brand.

Date: November 21, 2020 07:28

Anyone knows how many sessions Stones have done since Dec 2015?

Keith mentions In a recent Interview that The Stones are Interested Into pull a session together in the next few weeks [www.bbc.com]

According to JordyLicks96:

December 9-11, 2015: British Grove Studios in London, England

June 13-26, 2016: British Grove Studios in London, England

May 30 - June 9, 2017: British Grove Studios in London, England

Late January/early February - February 20, 2019: (Henson Studios?) in Los Angeles, California

Date: November 21, 2020 12:15

DiegoGlimmerStones

See Martin Elliott's [StonesSessions.com] - (Appendix Session List).

Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 21, 2020 16:47

Irix
GasLightStreet

BLUE AND BLACK, 10 track LP.

Or: The Rolling Stones No. 3, 10 track LP. winking smiley

Or: Tattoo You Too, 11 track LP

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 21, 2020 17:37

Hairball
In reality, it's more like they've mastered the art of procrastinating....

Yeah, why is Keith suddenly walking the dogs and why is Mick tending the roses all day long? It's called Structured Procrastination: that is, you'd do anything rather than what you ought to do (and in this way get loads of work done you wouldn't do otherwise). Stanford philosopher John Perry wrote an essay about it and later also a book (www.structuredprocrastination.com, [www.goodreads.com]).
If that is what the Stones are doing, the trick would be to endow them with a task they hate so much that they would rather complete the new album than taking care of the new task ... winking smiley

Date: November 21, 2020 19:57

Sounds like a humorous book doitywoik and might order it if the price is right as it seems to be a must-read for all of us procrastinators,
but until then need to do some structured procrastinating by organizing a load of other books on the shelf...by subject matter...and alphabetically.
Or maybe I should order and read the book first before doing the painstaking organizing of books on the shelf....I wonder if the author touches on indecisiveness...winking smiley

I'd bet both Keith and Mick have already studied and memorized the book from start to finish....lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-21 20:00 by Hairball.

Date: November 21, 2020 22:50

Irix
DiegoGlimmerStones

See Martin Elliott's [StonesSessions.com] - (Appendix Session List).

Thank you for sharing Irix!smileys with beer

Date: November 22, 2020 00:44

According to Martin Elliott's [StonesSessions.com] - (Appendix Session List):

7 - 16 December; 19-31 December 2015 British Grove Studios, London, England; Henson Recording Studios, Los Angeles, USA.

20 — 24 June 2016 British Grove Studios, London, England.

February 2017 Unknown Studio, New York, USA.

30 May — 9 June 2017 British Grove Studios, London, England.

27 November— 1 December 2017 Ocean Way Recording Studios, Los Angeles, USA.

Late February — early March New York Studio, New York, USA.

2018 Germano Studios, New York, USA.

Late January 2019, British Grove Studios, London, England.

Early February 2019, Henson Studios, Los Angeles, USA.

March —June 2020 Home Studio, La Fourchette, Tours, France. (Mick)

March 2020 Germano Studios, New York, USA. (Keith)

September 2020 Germano Studios, New York, USA. (Keith)

September — October 2020 Home Studios, La Fourchette, Tours, France. (Mick)

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 22, 2020 01:40

Well, there's no more record stores to go to when it gets released. What's a poor boy supposed to do?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...458459460461462463464465466467468...LastNext
Current Page: 463 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home