Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...456457458459460461462463464465466...LastNext
Current Page: 461 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 13, 2020 23:33

Hairball
The good news is that the latest snippet from Mick was a "private venture" and he'll be keeping it to himself (hopefully), but could possibly save it for a solo release in which case not many will care.
The bad news is, that's one less possible Stones tune that they could have been working on, but chances are Keith would have vetoed it anyways as he did with Getta Grip/England Lost as it isn't very Stonesy.
So basically everything is status quo with no real progress being made whatsoever towards a completing a new Stones album.

What we really need right now is a new Beatles album, to stir their competitive spirits!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 13, 2020 23:56

YEAH ... Ringo could bang out a new kids song ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2020 00:03

treaclefingers
Hairball
The good news is that the latest snippet from Mick was a "private venture" and he'll be keeping it to himself (hopefully), but could possibly save it for a solo release in which case not many will care.
The bad news is, that's one less possible Stones tune that they could have been working on, but chances are Keith would have vetoed it anyways as he did with Getta Grip/England Lost as it isn't very Stonesy.
So basically everything is status quo with no real progress being made whatsoever towards a completing a new Stones album.

What we really need right now is a new Beatles album, to stir their competitive spirits!

Funny you should say that as Paul is about to unleash McCartney III on the world!

McCartney III

Not quite "The Beatles", but Paul is still cranking it out, as is Dylan, The Who, Neil Young, Springsteen, etc., etc., etc....seems just about everybody except the Stones is releasing new albums!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 14, 2020 00:05

Rockman

Ringo could bang out a new kids song

.... "We all wear a yellow mouth-nose-mask, yellow mouth-nose-mask, yellow mouth-nose-mask" .... winking smiley

[www.Amazon.com]

Re: Another Stones studio album in 20i8
Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 14, 2020 01:57

bam
Perhaps bv or the thread originator can change the name to another Stones studio album in 2023.

I’m still going with 2023

Date: November 14, 2020 05:46

Rockman
YEAH ... Ringo could bang out a new kids song ....

"The Happy Plum Dirigible"

I Float Up High
Into the Sky
In my Happy Plum Dirigible
Fly to the Sun!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 14, 2020 07:21

One day the making of the album-in-progress with all its twists and turns – songs written, songs chosen, songs discarded etc., will be the stuff for music historians to write their dissertations about.

Hell, we might even get to know what the brickwall looked like! winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 14, 2020 14:00

doitywoik
One day the making of the album-in-progress with all its twists and turns – songs written, songs chosen, songs discarded etc., will be the stuff for music historians to write their dissertations about.

Hell, we might even get to know what the brickwall looked like! winking smiley

Haha... I would love to read those studies...

But let us continue speculation while we do not know any better.

According to the latest (? that I know...) interview, the Dutch one: [iorr.org] , my pessisism turns more into optimism again. There Keith states that had there not been the pandemia they would have relaesed the new album around this time (for the Xmas sales I guess). He makes it sound like that was the plan. So he sounds pretty certain that they would have been able to produce enough of new material in the sessions that were cancelled due to Covid-19. So we have to wait one year more (we have heard that before, but it's alright, getting used to it by now...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Date: November 14, 2020 14:10

Doxa

So he sounds pretty certain that they would have been able to produce enough of new material in the sessions that were cancelled due to Covid-19.

They recorded just 5 Tracks in 5 years since the end of 2015 - and then they wanted to record another 5 outstanding Tracks in just 5 months? confused smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 14, 2020 15:06

I believe for this Xmas season the best you can expect is a re-issue of some material that was on the market already.
Like stand alone CDs from In Mono box or audio only portions From The Vault (like they did for L&G, Some Girls Live In Texas and Checkersboard Lounge before), or something like that.

Date: November 14, 2020 15:35

ironbelly

I believe for this Xmas season the best you can expect is a re-issue of some material that was on the market already. Like stand alone CDs from In Mono box

Or the Studio-Albums 1971-2016 as SHM-CDs in mini-LP format, which are also available on Amazon or jpc.de - [iorr.org] .

"I Can't Get No Satisfaction" - 55th Anniversary Edition on Vinyl, 11-Dec-2020 - [www.Amazon.co.uk] .

Made In The Shade, Rewind (1971-84), Sticky Fingers (Spanish Version), Sucking In The Seventies, Time Waits For No One (1971-77) on SHM-CDs, 4-Dec-2020 - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-14 15:45 by Irix.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 14, 2020 15:49

Irix
ironbelly

I believe for this Xmas season the best you can expect is a re-issue of some material that was on the market already. Like stand alone CDs from In Mono box

Or the Studio-Albums 1971-2016 as SHM-CDs in mini-LP format, which are also available on Amazon or jpc.de - [iorr.org] .

"I Can't Get No Satisfaction" - 55th Anniversary Edition on Vinyl, 11-Dec-2020 - [www.Amazon.co.uk] .

Made In The Shade, Rewind (1971-84), Sticky Fingers (Spanish Version), Sucking In The Seventies, Time Waits For No One (1971-77) on SHM-CDs, 4-Dec-2020 - [iorr.org] .
Exactly. They already had two major 'new' releases this year. I believe they do not need more according to the contract. Just money grabbing re-issues winking smiley.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 14, 2020 16:12

Hairball

as I already mentioned in the thread about that song: to me it sounded like some Jagger solo project right away

Date: November 14, 2020 18:10

Irix
Doxa

So he sounds pretty certain that they would have been able to produce enough of new material in the sessions that were cancelled due to Covid-19.

They recorded just 5 Tracks in 5 years since the end of 2015 - and then they wanted to record another 5 outstanding Tracks in just 5 months? confused smiley

Miracles happen...grinning smiley

But if we have no such a faith, or we are not willing to interpret Keith's sayings as 'Talk Is Cheap', there is a way to back up Keith's optimism.

Namely, both Mick and Keith have recently referred just to the sessions of last year as the source of the material for a new album. So no matter what happened between 2015 and 2019 (artistic differences, lack of suitable/good enough material, no real interest, the success of B&L getting them out of the hook, laziness or having whatever kind of obstacles or excuses) they seemingly were able to come up with those four to seven (Keith's counting changes...) songs last year. All of them last year. Those songs are the fixed ones, that is, finally the ones they both seem to agree with are good enough or right ones to be finished and released anyway. Like they finally, after all trial and error, knew what they were doing and up to.

So having that positive experience of pretty fruithful sessions of last year they might have a justified belief that all they need is another set of sessions like that and they will have enough material for a whole album. Not that it will take another five years...

Simple as that.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Re: New Stones album for 2021?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 14, 2020 18:28

The title of this thread has been updated, and I have added the following to the initial post:

IORR Editor update Nov-2020:
Keith is saying they have half an album now, so there is no way it may be finished until covid-19 is under control, i.e. 2021 at the earliest.

-----

See the excellent summary by Irix dated November 13, 2020 17:25.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-14 18:30 by bv.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2020 20:07

From Keith's new interview in the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad:

"Without that virus it would have been finished by now, we would have wanted to release it about this time".

eye rolling smiley

To be completely honest and realistic, sounds like a load of bullshit, and I had a feeling they would somehow try and use the virus as an excuse for not completing the album.
I can understand him saying work came to a sudden halt, but to say the album would have been finished? Complete fantasy. Considering they would have been on tour,
taken time off to recuperate (including vacation, family time, etc.), and then dabbling with the old GHS tracks, etc...when exactly was the new album supposed to be finished?
And considering they only had 4 or 5 (or is it six or seven?) tracks supposedly "completed" prior to the virus...highly unlikely they could have finished it by now or even in the next year.
Seems Keith is attempting to rewrite history and/or twist the facts as it must be embarrassing that while most of his peers have been releasing new albums, the Stones have not.

Irix

Lol...that's what he's saying..............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-14 20:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 14, 2020 20:30

treaclefingers

Paul rang Keith to say he has an album coming at Christmas, so Keith said, 'Right, we'll hold ours til the spring bank holiday.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: November 15, 2020 17:05

apart from a new album hopefully they will release it in 2025 or I know what a rumor for the next publication of a concert or a luxury edition

Date: November 15, 2020 17:12

wonderboy
treaclefingers

Paul rang Keith to say he has an album coming at Christmas, so Keith said, 'Right, we'll hold ours til the spring bank holiday.

lol

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 16, 2020 04:25

Irix
Doxa

BLUE AND BLACK, 10 track LP.

Date: November 16, 2020 10:35

GasLightStreet

BLUE AND BLACK, 10 track LP.

Or: The Rolling Stones No. 3, 10 track LP. winking smiley

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 16, 2020 11:28

Doxa
Irix
Doxa

Miracles happen...grinning smiley

But if we have no such a faith, or we are not willing to interpret Keith's sayings as 'Talk Is Cheap', there is a way to back up Keith's optimism.

Namely, both Mick and Keith have recently referred just to the sessions of last year as the source of the material for a new album. So no matter what happened between 2015 and 2019 (artistic differences, lack of suitable/good enough material, no real interest, the success of B&L getting them out of the hook, laziness or having whatever kind of obstacles or excuses) they seemingly were able to come up with those four to seven (Keith's counting changes...) songs last year. All of them last year. Those songs are the fixed ones, that is, finally the ones they both seem to agree with are good enough or right ones to be finished and released anyway. Like they finally, after all trial and error, knew what they were doing and up to.

So having that positive experience of pretty fruithful sessions of last year they might have a justified belief that all they need is another set of sessions like that and they will have enough material for a whole album. Not that it will take another five years...

Simple as that.grinning smiley

- Doxa

....and so much tracks from 2002....and before......? ?

Date: November 16, 2020 12:20

jp.M

....and so much tracks from 2002....and before......? ?

It's not that easy: the Tracks must be good enough to be released on the (probably) last Stones Studio-Album. Their quality should be equal or better than LIAGT ....

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 16, 2020 13:01

I wonder about the stuff recorded after ABB.
Didn't Charlie say he thought the album was ready years ago?
Seems they started all over again.
But there has to be some more material in the can.

Date: November 16, 2020 13:30

CousinC

Because the previous Tracks were probably not good enough to be released on a last Stones Studio-Album.

Mick on the 15-year wait for a Rolling Stones record: “Long time ago. Last original Stones. Yeah, it was so long. And I think one of the problems I personally have with it is that it’s suddenly that you want it to be really good. So I don’t just want it to be a good album, I want it to be great. You know? Yes, I’m very hard on myself." -- [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-16 13:45 by Irix.

Date: November 16, 2020 15:22

Irix

Mick on the 15-year wait for a Rolling Stones record: “Long time ago. Last original Stones. Yeah, it was so long. And I think one of the problems I personally have with it is that it’s suddenly that you want it to be really good. So I don’t just want it to be a good album, I want it to be great. You know? Yes, I’m very hard on myself." -- [iorr.org] .

Yeah, that sounds better than, say, 'we haven't really bothered, and why should we have? We do well without any new albums, and there is no serious money in record business any longer, and nobody really wants to listen our new music anyway'.

But seriously, the idea about not being a 'good', but 'great' album begs some questions. Does Mick consider, say, A BIGGER BANG and BRIDGES TO BABYLON as 'great' albums? That the material they have come up with by now isn't qualitywise in that level yet? If not, will that mean that they didn't really do their best at the time when making those albums? Their criteria was then lower, but now they are more ambitious and self-critical?

Over-all, the self-criticism might be a helluva thing for an artist. Surely one aims for perfection in the sense one is satisfied with the results, but it can easily go too far.... Namely, if the criterion is all the way subjective, deciding which one is just "good" and which one "great" one could go crazy... If it been up to Mick and Keith, "Satisfaction" would never had released as single A side (if we are to believe Bill Wyman). Sometimes the artists themselves are not the best ones judging their stuff...

What Mick says there goes also against his old habits (die hard, but people do change, though). Namely Mick has traditionally been rather pragmatic in judging their outcome - it is the criterion like how people like it - how it sells, works in concert, etc. - that sets its value. But for that one needs to release the stuff first... Now it is like he does all that by himself a priori, trusting solely on his own intuition. Besides, it has been usually Keith who has aimed more for artistic perfection, not so much Mick who is not too famous for his patience (although, of course, that not always been the case). Anyway, time helps for objectivity, so at least they have had enough of time to have second-thoughts about their recorded stuff so far. Well, like Keith has said many times along the years that it has been mostly listening...

That said, if "Living In A Ghost Town" is an indication what Mick and Keith consider as 'great', no complaints here!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-16 15:33 by Doxa.

Date: November 16, 2020 15:45

Doxa

That said, if "Living In A Ghost Town" is an indication what Mick and Keith consider as 'great', no complaints here!

I think too that LIAGT should be the quality-reference of all other Tracks on the new Stones Studio-Album.

Date: November 16, 2020 16:09

Irix
Doxa

I think too that LIAGT should be the quality-reference of all other Tracks on the new Stones Studio-Album.

I think it is one of their best experiments for years (decades, really) in trying to freshen up their old sound by briefly adding some new elements there - and the latter done with a good taste (sometimes not Mick's forte). It is an coctail of many interesting elements, mostly old, but the outcome sounds surprisingly fresh, novel, natural and unique. It is very different than anything in A BIGGER BANG.

If that's the artistic aim - or the compromise Mick and Keith achieved - I am more than pleased.

- Doxa

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 16, 2020 16:29

The irony goes on...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 16, 2020 17:38

CousinC
I wonder about the stuff recorded after ABB.
Didn't Charlie say he thought the album was ready years ago?
But there has to be some more material in the can.

Charlie doesn't know what year it is. LOL why would anyone rely on what Charlie says!!?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...456457458459460461462463464465466...LastNext
Current Page: 461 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home