Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...453454455456457458459460461462463...LastNext
Current Page: 458 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 18, 2020 03:47

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen
They have worked on this thing in multiple places .. in various combinations ..

Band sessions .. one on one .... in isolation etc. etc.

LA- NYC - London (we've also heard they did a little in Paris ... who knows where else?).

Now they need a couple more band sessions to finish it he says. The
Stones have got to have amassed a huge amount of material over the last five years. Not saying it's all good .. or real good .. BUT they have worked on this thing on and off .. in various ways .. at various locations taking their sweeeet old time with it.

I think we can all agree .. they have had (and have taken) >>pleeeeeeeenty<< of time together and apart to work on it.

Hell Charlie remarked they had done so many bloody sessions on it (though he may of been exaggerating a bit ... still that comment was two years ago now lol).

Howdy Ian, long time no see (since Ghost Town was released), hope all is going well, and curious as to your opinions on the recent releases of the old/new demoes - Criss Cross and Scarlet.
Personally I've always loved Criss Cross, but Scarlet was a letdown and fails on so many levels which is a bit surprising considering Jimmy Page's involvement - guess it was overhyped and/or I was expecting too much.

Anyhow, in case you missed it, here's the absolute latest news on the supposed new album - a fresh quote from Mick Jagger himself!

“We have got to get together and do a couple more sessions, I think.
We are not really going to get together right now".
- Mick via TalkTalk

My first thought was it's a hopeless mess, but on second thought at least it's still being talked about. Meanwhile they continue to kill/waste time with the GHS re-release and all the publicity involved, milking it as much as possible, selling bundles of merch, yet nobody except the established fans really care about it. Imagine if they were to release some more new and original music. Something to keep them relevant. Something that might make new fans and in turn make them some more money. Seems a no-brainer, but...time keeps ticking away, and no9t sure if they'll ever get around to completing an entire new album. Best case scenario and best hope - more new singles....

Sorry for the delayed response Mr. Hairball (just catching this for some reason).

I really like Scarlet. I think it needed more work to be a fully structured song .. (now it is one melody... one bridge or middle eight and a just repeat of choruses). I also think it could of been a little less typical / not so Stones cliche and it would of been a great Stones song back in it's original era. .. I think it had really some great promise. even as it is now .. I dig it.. good stuff IMO.

Yes I know Mick says they need a couple more sessions .. That was my point.. by the time they get done with this thing (IF they ever get done Lol) .. they will have had so many friggin sessions and it will have been worked on in so many places and with different combinations of people they should have enough for TWO albums Lol.

The latest is no new album any time soon, Mick is stuck figuring out the vocals to a ballad (wtf), and according to Keith we might expect another single...maybe...

I think we can agree on one thing for a fact Ian....

THE WALL THEY HIT WAS MORE INTENSE THAN SOME THOUGHT!!!

And here we are today years later, the same old thread, same old stories, same hopes, wishes, and dreams...457 pages and counting,...some of the faces have changed along the way, but one thing's certain...

THERE'S STILL NO NEW ALBUM!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 18, 2020 05:03

bitusa2012
retired_dog
Hmmm...the Stones having done all this work until now only to shy away from finally completing and releasing it due the climate of the music business?

How can anyone here believe that this is a likely scenario?

I DO believe this to be A likely scenario

How can anyone here NOT think this is a likely scenario?

Or that, as Mick says he wants the songs to be GREAT, that HIS subjectivity and objectivity has overruled everyone else in the band and production team, and that what was put down over the last 5 or so years will never see the light of day? That’s another likely scenario, no?

To put it simple - NO. Simply NO.

Because there's a small such thing called simple logic.

Nobody, not even the Stones waste time and money for repeated work over the years for material that's shite to begin with in the hope that one day something magical happens that polishes turds to diamonds.

They're experienced enough after nearly 60 years of recording to realize pretty soon if something is worth developing further or better to discard.

Apart from new material, work was also done on a variety of outtakes, allegedly reaching back to the Steel Wheels sessions.

To believe all this was done for nothing like some doomsayers here obviously do is, I'm sorry for sounding rude, simply rubbish.

Time is on their side on this behalf. They can wait for the right opportunity. And do I really need to explain that the upcoming 60th Anniversary is such an opportunity? With worldwide media coverage and a huge amount of free promotion brought with it? Not even Corona could stop this event!

Those who can wait will be rewarded... In what form, remains to be seen. As a standalone album with all-new material. Or as part of a huge Anniversary box set. Just like the No Filter live album was tacked on the deluxe Honk release instead of a standalone release. Or whatever clever distribution idea they come up with.

And for those who can't wait ... well, that's what this thread is for.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 05:09 by retired_dog.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 18, 2020 05:28

retired_dog

Time is on their side on this behalf. They can wait for the right opportunity. And do I really need to explain that

Brian Jones
Michael Jackson
Michael Hutchence
Whitney Houston
David Bowie
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
George Harrison
Sid Vicious
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Aaliyah
Jim Morrison
Dolores O’reirdan
Amy Winehouse
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Holly
Karen Carpenter
Mama Cass

And countless other young (YOUNG) musicians had TIME ON THEIR SIDE, but for a variety of reasons, many they COULD control, time ran out on them way too early.

THE STONES do not. To suggest otherwise is silly. They are all, unfortunately but truly, the wrong side of 75yo

Rod

Date: August 18, 2020 07:27

bitusa2012
retired_dog

Time is on their side on this behalf. They can wait for the right opportunity. And do I really need to explain that

Brian Jones
Michael Jackson
Michael Hutchence
Whitney Houston
David Bowie
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
George Harrison
Sid Vicious
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Aaliyah
Jim Morrison
Dolores O’reirdan
Amy Winehouse
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Holly
Karen Carpenter
Mama Cass

And countless other young (YOUNG) musicians had TIME ON THEIR SIDE, but for a variety of reasons, many they COULD control, time ran out on them way too early.

THE STONES do not. To suggest otherwise is silly. They are all, unfortunately but truly, the wrong side of 75yo

I'm sorry, but this is just tasteless and outright disgusting.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 18, 2020 08:26

They are all, except Darryl, in the risk group. When was the last time they met each other? And when will they be able to meet again? Next year?

Date: August 18, 2020 10:20

retired_dog
bitusa2012
retired_dog

Brian Jones
Michael Jackson
Michael Hutchence
Whitney Houston
David Bowie
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
George Harrison
Sid Vicious
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Aaliyah
Jim Morrison
Dolores O’reirdan
Amy Winehouse
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Holly
Karen Carpenter
Mama Cass

I’m sorry it’s upset you. It’s just the truth. I am in that age bracket too. I’d LOVE to hear a new Stones album before I cark it. Which means, in all likelihood, before one of them carks it too.

Rod

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 18, 2020 12:21

bitusa2012
retired_dog
bitusa2012
retired_dog

Brian Jones
Michael Jackson
Michael Hutchence
Whitney Houston
David Bowie
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
George Harrison
Sid Vicious
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Aaliyah
Jim Morrison
Dolores O’reirdan
Amy Winehouse
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Holly
Karen Carpenter
Mama Cass

I’m sorry it’s upset you. It’s just the truth. I am in that age bracket too. I’d LOVE to hear a new Stones album before I cark it. Which means, in all likelihood, before one of them carks it too.

Well said Rod. Erudite, insightful and totally logical too. Nothing tasteless whatsoever in what you said sir. It is obvious you derive no pleasure whatsoever from setting out the facts you gave us. To suggest, as others have, that The Stones have time on their side is, sadly, well wide of the mark. I'm afraid it is very much the opposite. Furthermore the band are not sitting about doing nothing. They are all as busy as they want to be on the many projects that will always come their way. Guesting on recordings made by other musicians. Writing solo material. Painting. Planning the next tour. Running the massive world-wide operation The Stones have been for many many years. And all of that in addition to recording the occasional new single, polishing material in the vaults, preparing further upcoming anniversary re-issues.

A very decent workload indeed for men in the autumn of their years. Wish I had their energy!

Date: August 18, 2020 18:12

bitusa2012
retired_dog
bitusa2012
retired_dog

Brian Jones
Michael Jackson
Michael Hutchence
Whitney Houston
David Bowie
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
George Harrison
Sid Vicious
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Aaliyah
Jim Morrison
Dolores O’reirdan
Amy Winehouse
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Holly
Karen Carpenter
Mama Cass

Quick check: If you meet the Stones personally, would you say that right into their faces? To explain why you think they should put out the new album as soon as possible?

Even if you're brave enough, I can imagine they would just turn around and leave you standing as an answer.

And please, if you quote me, quote me correctly and don't cut sentences in half to give that what I actually said a different spin:

The uncut quote reads like this:

"Time is on their side on this behalf. They can wait for the right opportunity. And do I really need to explain that the upcoming 60th Anniversary is such an opportunity?"

And now please tell me what's wrong with that.

Yes, time is on their side because they're in the phase of their career where everything they do is just an added bonus, not a necessity.

They have no pressure whatsoever to release new material. Hell, they even have no pressure to do any more live shows. If they retire tomorrow, what would it take away from them and their legacy? They're rich and famous beyond belief. They can do whatever they want and whenever they want. They are FREE.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 18:16 by retired_dog.

Date: August 19, 2020 00:11

Stoneage
They are all, except Darryl, in the risk group. When was the last time they met each other? And when will they be able to meet again? Next year?

Speaking of Darryl, I was looking at his career stats on wiki which are extensive and impressive, and a bit surprised to see he has never released a proper solo album of his own.
There's been plenty of collaborations (*including a credit on Neil young's 2014 release Storytone which I never knew about), but no solo - at least according to wiki.
Looking at his website now, and he does have THE DARRYL JONES PROJECT, but maybe that's just for live shows? Wondering if it's jazz or funk...maybe a combo of both....
Anyhow, funny to look back on this old Sting video from 1985 with a young Darryl jamming...If You Love Somebody Set Them Free...never been a Sting solo fan, but I always kind of like that tune...

*As for Darryl's involvement with Neil's Storytone album, wondering exactly how Darryl was involved but can't find any details....anybody know?
Part of the album had an orchestra backing Neil...maybe Darryl was some how part of that?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 20, 2020 23:13

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen
They have worked on this thing in multiple places .. in various combinations ..

Band sessions .. one on one .... in isolation etc. etc.

LA- NYC - London (we've also heard they did a little in Paris ... who knows where else?).

Now they need a couple more band sessions to finish it he says. The
Stones have got to have amassed a huge amount of material over the last five years. Not saying it's all good .. or real good .. BUT they have worked on this thing on and off .. in various ways .. at various locations taking their sweeeet old time with it.

I think we can all agree .. they have had (and have taken) >>pleeeeeeeenty<< of time together and apart to work on it.

Hell Charlie remarked they had done so many bloody sessions on it (though he may of been exaggerating a bit ... still that comment was two years ago now lol).

Howdy Ian, long time no see (since Ghost Town was released), hope all is going well, and curious as to your opinions on the recent releases of the old/new demoes - Criss Cross and Scarlet.
Personally I've always loved Criss Cross, but Scarlet was a letdown and fails on so many levels which is a bit surprising considering Jimmy Page's involvement - guess it was overhyped and/or I was expecting too much.

Anyhow, in case you missed it, here's the absolute latest news on the supposed new album - a fresh quote from Mick Jagger himself!

“We have got to get together and do a couple more sessions, I think.
We are not really going to get together right now".
- Mick via TalkTalk

My first thought was it's a hopeless mess, but on second thought at least it's still being talked about. Meanwhile they continue to kill/waste time with the GHS re-release and all the publicity involved, milking it as much as possible, selling bundles of merch, yet nobody except the established fans really care about it. Imagine if they were to release some more new and original music. Something to keep them relevant. Something that might make new fans and in turn make them some more money. Seems a no-brainer, but...time keeps ticking away, and no9t sure if they'll ever get around to completing an entire new album. Best case scenario and best hope - more new singles....

Sorry for the delayed response Mr. Hairball (just catching this for some reason).

I really like Scarlet. I think it needed more work to be a fully structured song .. (now it is one melody... one bridge or middle eight and a just repeat of choruses). I also think it could of been a little less typical / not so Stones cliche and it would of been a great Stones song back in it's original era. .. I think it had really some great promise. even as it is now .. I dig it.. good stuff IMO.

Yes I know Mick says they need a couple more sessions .. That was my point.. by the time they get done with this thing (IF they ever get done Lol) .. they will have had so many friggin sessions and it will have been worked on in so many places and with different combinations of people they should have enough for TWO albums Lol.

The latest is no new album any time soon, Mick is stuck figuring out the vocals to a ballad (wtf), and according to Keith we might expect another single...maybe...

I think we can agree on one thing for a fact Ian....

THE WALL THEY HIT WAS MORE INTENSE THAN SOME THOUGHT!!!

And here we are today years later, the same old thread, same old stories, same hopes, wishes, and dreams...457 pages and counting,...some of the faces have changed along the way, but one thing's certain...

THERE'S STILL NO NEW ALBUM!

Guy well wait ...come on now friend ...let the wall thing go. That was one session and one comment ...

If the wall was what some here seem to think .. they would of never gone back in the studio so many bloody times and in various locations in the years that followed.

I think they have loads of material that simply either A. is not all up to snuff ... or B. Needs to be perfected ... or both.

Hitting a wall suggests they are at or went into a total stand still (it has been anything but a stand still ...they been in and out of the studio working on this for years since the infamous wall comment).

Even with that <one session> where that wall on <one song> occurred .. we got a whole flippin album out of the circumstance (and a great one at that ..Lol) So why consider this wall stuff and still? The 'wall' was on one song in one session from years ago ...and they have been recording more / spending time in various studios ever since). This whole wall thing has been blown out of proportion more than anything I ever heard of concerning The Stones and their recording endeavors.

Mick says what hes hearing thus far is sounding pretty good and they continue to work on it .. however not to confuse .. Im pretty disgusted over the lack of stuff from then in the last 15 years as you are.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-20 23:23 by IanBillen.

Date: August 20, 2020 23:41

Bottom line Ian - whether you believe in the significance of their hitting the wall or not (including the damage it may have caused to the work/recording process), and not counting the blues covers album detour which resulted from hitting the wall- there's still NO NEW ALBUM of originals as was the original plan. Lots of setbacks since that "little" wall episode, and I tend to think it was more intense than originally thought with ramifications still being felt today. NO NEW ALBUM. Only a single. 15 years and counting...........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-20 23:45 by Hairball.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 21, 2020 03:57

I just watched a video yesterday of Charlie Watts being
interviewed, where he stated that he did not like the
songs that had been written for the "new album".

If he doesn't like them, I am sure I wouldn't either.

Excuse me if this has already been posted, but I do not
have time to read 458 pages on the subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-21 03:58 by Chacho.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 21, 2020 04:16

Hairball
Bottom line Ian - whether you believe in the significance of their hitting the wall or not (including the damage it may have caused to the work/recording process), and not counting the blues covers album detour which resulted from hitting the wall- there's still NO NEW ALBUM of originals as was the original plan. Lots of setbacks since that "little" wall episode, and I tend to think it was more intense than originally thought with ramifications still being felt today. NO NEW ALBUM. Only a single. 15 years and counting...........

It will be 15 years on September 6th! They could surprise us... LOL I doubt it.

At least there's Living In a Ghost Town!

They've put out almost an EP's worth of new/original tunes since 2005!!!!

Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Living In A Ghost Town

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:04

Chacho

wow I missed it, could you please share it here

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:11

maumau
Chacho

Pretty difficult, because he never said that. Someone here heard wrong/misinterpreted him (no wonder, he is a bit vague there). This has been discussed here before.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-21 09:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:41

Whats the new songs sound like ?

i have no idea... I mean I could say
they sound like Stax but they come out sounding like Motown

............................. Charlie Watts 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:44

Even adding "Pal" to a Keith
statement can warp the meaning of what he said ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 21, 2020 11:00

Charlie in early 2018 about new Songs and "Stax / Motown" - [www.YouTube.com] - (Pos. 3:45).

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 21, 2020 11:14

retired_dog
bitusa2012
retired_dog

Brian Jones
Michael Jackson
Michael Hutchence
Whitney Houston
David Bowie
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
George Harrison
Sid Vicious
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Aaliyah
Jim Morrison
Dolores O’reirdan
Amy Winehouse
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Holly
Karen Carpenter
Mama Cass

It's none of that, he's stating a fact. We all get old and no one goes on forever.

Date: August 21, 2020 12:28

retired_dog
bitusa2012
retired_dog
bitusa2012
retired_dog

Brian Jones
Michael Jackson
Michael Hutchence
Whitney Houston
David Bowie
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
George Harrison
Sid Vicious
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Aaliyah
Jim Morrison
Dolores O’reirdan
Amy Winehouse
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Holly
Karen Carpenter
Mama Cass

Quick check: If you meet the Stones personally, would you say that right into their faces? To explain why you think they should put out the new album as soon as possible?

Even if you're brave enough, I can imagine they would just turn around and leave you standing as an answer.

And please, if you quote me, quote me correctly and don't cut sentences in half to give that what I actually said a different spin:

The uncut quote reads like this:

"Time is on their side on this behalf. They can wait for the right opportunity. And do I really need to explain that the upcoming 60th Anniversary is such an opportunity?"

And now please tell me what's wrong with that.

Yes, time is on their side because they're in the phase of their career where everything they do is just an added bonus, not a necessity.

They have no pressure whatsoever to release new material. Hell, they even have no pressure to do any more live shows. If they retire tomorrow, what would it take away from them and their legacy? They're rich and famous beyond belief. They can do whatever they want and whenever they want. They are FREE.

And do I need to explain that one, some of them, may not MAKE their 60th??? I might not either.

Rod

Date: August 21, 2020 13:07

I am with Retired Dog on this one. They really don't need to do anything out of necessity. It's all extra now, and they have earned all that luxury ages ago. They haven't released an album of originals for 15 years, and still they were the best grossing artist in USA last year.

So they make new music the way they feel like it. It takes what it takes. They release it if they feel like it. Like the material and timing is okay. Like they, out of sudden, did with "Living In A Ghost Town". But no deadline, no pressure. No nothing. Had their career depended on releasing new music, as it did for decades, they surely have released more albums than they have done lately. Now, if they release something, that's nice extra, a product to promote and sell for some time (and UMG surely is pleased and for sure do their best to profit maximally of it, including the right timing), but doesn't change anything in the big picture. But if they don't, that doesn't chance anything either.

They really don't need to worry about time, or about anything really. Just enjoy their senior years and do what they please. I am sure the last thing that buggers them is thinking 'hey, we need to release this bloody thing before some of us dies'. Well, like Keith would be first to remind us, sometimes 'shit happens'. So it does if it does.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-21 13:25 by Doxa.

Date: August 21, 2020 13:14

Doxa
maumau
Chacho

Pretty difficult, because he never said that. Someone here heard wrong/misinterpreted him (no wonder, he is a bit vague there). This has been discussed here before.

- Doxa

I know very well Doxa thanks, just being (too subtly) ironic here winking smiley

Date: August 21, 2020 13:27

maumau smileys with beerwinking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 21, 2020 14:26

Doxa
I am with Retired Dog on this one. They really don't need to do anything out of necessity. It's all extra now, and they have earned all that luxury ages ago. They haven't released an album of originals for 15 years, and still they were the best grossing artist in USA last year.

So they make new music the way they feel like it. It takes what it takes. They release it if they feel like it. Like the material and timing is okay. Like they, out of sudden, did with "Living In A Ghost Town". But no deadline, no pressure. No nothing. Had their career depended on releasing new music, as it did for decades, they surely have released more albums than they have done lately. Now, if they release something, that's nice extra, a product to promote and sell for some time (and UMG surely is pleased and for sure do their best to profit maximally of it, including the right timing), but doesn't change anything in the big picture. But if they don't, that doesn't chance anything either.

They really don't need to worry about time, or about anything really. Just enjoy their senior years and do what they please. I am sure the last thing that buggers them is thinking 'hey, we need to release this bloody thing before some of us dies'. Well, like Keith would be first to remind us, sometimes 'shit happens'. So it does if it does.

- Doxa

agree.

I imagine they still feel that sense of urgency (re: "let's get this done/out") from time-to-time, but I also imagine they have plenty in their lives to keep them occupied otherwise...

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 21, 2020 15:46

In the Charlie YouTube Interview, above,

The statement that he does not like the

songs appears at around 2:58 in the dialogue.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 21, 2020 15:54

Chacho

"But, I don't write the songs" 2:58

Date: August 21, 2020 16:08

Chacho

That's NOT what he says.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 21, 2020 16:26

Judging by most interviews the last few years, no one has really liked the new material and I think at this point it is safe to say A Bigger Bang will be their last studio album of original material. Why release an album at this stage in their career that they are luke warm on? And if tour is done ( I said if) why bother releasing material you don't love? Time to focus on the Vault series and releasing material fans have been wanting-Paris '76, El Macombo '77, a full show from '72, etc.

Date: August 21, 2020 16:31

Also, imagine a world where Charlie Watts give a public interview where he says that he does not like Mick and Keith songs... then come back to reality

can we move on Chacho?

Date: August 21, 2020 16:35

TumblinDice76
Judging by most interviews the last few years, no one has really liked the new material and I think at this point it is safe to say A Bigger Bang will be their last studio album of original material. Why release an album at this stage in their career that they are luke warm on? And if tour is done ( I said if) why bother releasing material you don't love? Time to focus on the Vault series and releasing material fans have been wanting-Paris '76, El Macombo '77, a full show from '72, etc.

Ghost Town was pretty much praised by the fans, and it was clear from the interviews that both Mick and Keith were proud of it. If the rest of the material is of that calibre, why shouldn't they release it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-21 16:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...453454455456457458459460461462463...LastNext
Current Page: 458 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home