Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...451452453454455456457458459460461...LastNext
Current Page: 456 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 29, 2020 20:25

Hairball
And a funny thing is, GHS was not too long ago maligned by many here as a weak link coming right after Exile, but now it's the latest, greatest thing since the invention of ice cream! I've always liked it since it was released, and am happy to have a Deluxe reissue, but the amount of praise and interest by many of the former critics here shows a sign of desperation for anything new - even if it's from a so-called "average" album from 47 years ago.

That shouldn't be a surprise. The ones who dislike the album probably don't bother to post or read about the deluxe GHS. The same way I wasn't posting on the Bridges To Argentina, Bridges To Bremen, Live Sticky Fingers, Voodoo Lounge live etc, -threads. You really think people change their minds about an album after 47 years just because a new product is available for purchase? I don't.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 29, 2020 22:58

They have worked on this thing in multiple places .. in various combinations ..

Band sessions .. one on one .... in isolation etc. etc.

LA- NYC - London (we've also heard they did a little in Paris ... who knows where else?).

Now they need a couple more band sessions to finish it he says. The
Stones have got to have amassed a huge amount of material over the last five years. Not saying it's all good .. or real good .. BUT they have worked on this thing on and off .. in various ways .. at various locations taking their sweeeet old time with it.

I think we can all agree .. they have had (and have taken) >>pleeeeeeeenty<< of time together and apart to work on it.

Hell Charlie remarked they had done so many bloody sessions on it (though he may of been exaggerating a bit ... still that comment was two years ago now lol).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-29 23:00 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2020 23:07

Erik_Snow
Hairball
And a funny thing is, GHS was not too long ago maligned by many here as a weak link coming right after Exile, but now it's the latest, greatest thing since the invention of ice cream! I've always liked it since it was released, and am happy to have a Deluxe reissue, but the amount of praise and interest by many of the former critics here shows a sign of desperation for anything new - even if it's from a so-called "average" album from 47 years ago.

That shouldn't be a surprise. The ones who dislike the album probably don't bother to post or read about the deluxe GHS. The same way I wasn't posting on the Bridges To Argentina, Bridges To Bremen, Live Sticky Fingers, Voodoo Lounge live etc, -threads. You really think people change their minds about an album after 47 years just because a new product is available for purchase? I don't.

Yeah sure, some of them do - throw in a few extra tracks (demoes, instrumentals, Jimmy Page!, etc), add Brussels live, starve them of anything else that's new and original, and I'm sure some would be willing to give it a second chance, and ultimately ending up liking it....maybe even LOVING it. I know I've had a change of heart about various musicians and albums from 40+ years ago - some I didn't like then, but love now, and vice versa. Time has a way of changing opinions, and as one grows older you see and hear things in a different light...unless you're just stuck in your ways with no hope for evolution.

Date: July 29, 2020 23:17

Hairball
Erik_Snow
Hairball

Yeah sure, some of them do - throw in a few extra tracks (demoes, instrumentals, Jimmy Page!, etc), add Brussels live, starve them of anything else that's new and original, and I'm sure some would be willing to give it a second chance, and ultimately ending up liking it....maybe even LOVING it. I know I've had a change of heart about various musicians and albums from 40+ years ago - some I didn't like then, but love now, and vice versa. Time has a way of changing opinions, and as one grows older you see and hear things in a different light...unless you're just stuck in your ways with no hope for evolution.

That's not how you presented these people in the previous post. It was just a bunch of desperate men, willing to grab anything, not out of seeing things in a different light, growing older, etc

I have always appreciated GHS. The only 70s album that has faded for me is IORR.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2020 23:22

....yeah i use to be crazy about blondes but
now I go ape-shit for da gals with the thick black horses manes ...

Its called evolution Erik ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 29, 2020 23:32

Erik_Snow
Hairball
Erik_Snow
Hairball

That's not how you presented these people in the previous post. It was just a bunch of desperate men, willing to grab anything, not out of seeing things in a different light, growing older, etc

I have always appreciated GHS. The only 70s album that has faded for me is IORR.

The rest of my post that you didn't highlight in my second post should have been satisfactory for you as it does reflect my first post - " starve them of anything else that's new and original", etc.,
which results in "a bunch of desperate men, willing to grab anything" (to use your words) ....but what about all the women? They don't count?

PS: I love IORR - probably just as much and maybe even more than GHS...maybe best to call it a tie for now.
Black and Blue is the one I could live without, though Hot Stuff, Hand of Fate, and Crazy Mama will always be essential keepers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-29 23:43 by Hairball.

Date: July 29, 2020 23:42

Hairball
....but what about all the women? They don't count?

For aesthetically reasons the word men was used, as "people" had been used in the previous sentence, and "women and men" would be like butter on bacon in a sentence, and, I do dislike the word "fan". But everything has to political correct for you I see. Then I can't wish you a merry christmas in december either, I reckon.

Date: July 29, 2020 23:45

No - I was only joking...thought I'd try and lighten up your serious vibe a bit - evidently not happening....

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 29, 2020 23:46

Hey, why are we fighting? Cool out!

Crazy the way these threads head, we get some (at the very least) interesting 'new' Stones stuff for our ears and (hopefully) hearts, and people start getting mean-spirited and confrontational.

If you don't like Scarlet, and you explained why, well that's just fine. I don't know why the conversation has to head into arguments (not healthy discussions) and tit-for-tat exchanges.

But maybe that's just the ice cold ouzo talking...

Date: July 29, 2020 23:54

Hairball
No - I was only joking...thought I'd try and lighten up your serious vibe a bit - evidently not happening....

I wasn't too serious either, I'm very seldom too serious, but you didn't notice

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2020 00:01

IanBillen

LA- NYC - London (we've also heard they did a little in Paris ... who knows where else?).

Stones have got to have amassed a huge amount of material over the last five years. Not saying it's all good .. or real good .. BUT they have worked on this thing on and off .. in various ways .. at various locations taking their sweeeet old time with it.

I think we can all agree .. they have had (and have taken) >>pleeeeeeeenty<< of time together and apart to work on it.

Hell Charlie remarked they had done so many bloody sessions on it (though he may of been exaggerating a bit ... still that comment was two years ago now lol).

He said to the question of how the new songs sound, "I've got no idea. Yeah I could say they sound very much like Stax when they come out they sound like Motown or something."

He's got "four vintage cars and I can't drive the bloody things".

Date: July 30, 2020 00:04

Erik_Snow
Hairball

Yeah, hard to tell by the "tone" of your various replies towards my posts in this thread - good to know you're seldom too serious.thumbs up

Date: July 30, 2020 00:10

Hairball
Erik_Snow
Hairball

Yeah, hard to tell by the "tone" of your various replies towards my posts in this thread - good to know you're seldom too serious.thumbs up

I can never be that serious, as deep down inside I never understand what the fuzz is all about.
Now, to answer your question about if "women don't count" seriously: Of course not. We all know, that when it comes to GHS, women love side A track 5, and have never listened to the rest.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 30, 2020 10:43

Erik_Snow
Hairball
Erik_Snow
Hairball

I can never be that serious, as deep down inside I never understand what the fuzz is all about.
Now, to answer your question about if "women don't count" seriously: Of course not. We all know, that when it comes to GHS, women love side A track 5, and have never listened to the rest.

My wife, a woman, LOVES side B, track 5. The version that has not been destroyed in the last remaster.

Rod

Date: July 30, 2020 11:40

Heck I know a herd of chicks who
love the Goats Head Soup Album ......

They lurv da Its Only rock N Roll album tooooo ....

They breed da gals good down 'ere ya know ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 30, 2020 18:16

IanBillen

Howdy Ian, long time no see (since Ghost Town was released), hope all is going well, and curious as to your opinions on the recent releases of the old/new demoes - Criss Cross and Scarlet.
Personally I've always loved Criss Cross, but Scarlet was a letdown and fails on so many levels which is a bit surprising considering Jimmy Page's involvement - guess it was overhyped and/or I was expecting too much.

Anyhow, in case you missed it, here's the absolute latest news on the supposed new album - a fresh quote from Mick Jagger himself!

“We have got to get together and do a couple more sessions, I think.
We are not really going to get together right now".
- Mick via TalkTalk

My first thought was it's a hopeless mess, but on second thought at least it's still being talked about. Meanwhile they continue to kill/waste time with the GHS re-release and all the publicity involved, milking it as much as possible, selling bundles of merch, yet nobody except the established fans really care about it. Imagine if they were to release some more new and original music. Something to keep them relevant. Something that might make new fans and in turn make them some more money. Seems a no-brainer, but...time keeps ticking away, and no9t sure if they'll ever get around to completing an entire new album. Best case scenario and best hope - more new singles....

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 13, 2020 15:23

Uncut magazine, October 2020

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 13, 2020 15:41

Thanks for the excerpt Cristiano!
Would love to hear or read Mick's original lyrics for LIAGT some day.

While an album would be great, I like Keith's thoughts on the releasing of individual tracks..
It is indeed working.. and so glad they continue to as well thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 13, 2020 16:40

Why do we bother with this thread. Close it down

Rod

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 13, 2020 17:48

well its been hijacked by a couple of people and so it serves as a means to their end...stop reading it is my take.

Date: August 13, 2020 19:13

Thanks Cristiano. thumbs up

Looks like Keith is finally waking up and catching up to reality by saying "If this thing goes on much longer, we might try to put our another track" -
basically the same thing I've been posting for several years now. As recently as two weeks ago I posted - "Best case scenario and best hope - more new singles...."
Seems a no brainer considering how much time they've wasted in attempting a whole album - I recall Ronnie calling it a "jig saw puzzle"...evidently they've lost a few key pieces and it will never come together.
As for the new ballad Mick is working on, could be one of the many stumbling blocks.."the reading of it is quite difficult" (Mick)...blah, blah, blah...could be he's overthinking the minutiae when he should be getting it done.
Unfortunately, could be a Streets of Love pt. II, so please take your time Mick and maybe think of moving on to something else - please. As for Ghost Town - so grateful to have a new Stones tune, and one of a decent quality. Glad they waited to put some decent lyrics together that have some deeper meaning...sounds like it was originally a cheesy storyline from a campy '60's B movie.."left in a semi-alive state after a plague"....
So he didn't have the lyrics finished or the guitar parts...without the coronavirus we might have never heard a new Stones tune....maybe they'll release another single before a vaccine is discovered....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-13 19:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 13, 2020 23:44

Reading in context, I interpret Keith meaning by "this thing goes on much longer" (the conditions affected by) corona epidemia. To complete an album, like Mick mentioned in some other interview some days ago, they would need doing sessions together. Which, like Mick said, will not happen very soon for the reasons we all know. Probably the good experience they had with "Ghost Town" - and it is nice to hear Keith also being satisfied - inspires them to release another song in a similar way.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-13 23:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2020 01:06

I wonder how Don Was' job description looked like when they hired him? Make an album every 15th year and be available two weeks a year for studio work?

Date: August 14, 2020 01:44

Stoneage
I wonder how Don Was' job description looked like when they hired him? Make an album every 15th year and be available two weeks a year for studio work?

He's the Head of Blue Note. Don't worry, he has work smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2020 05:33

Going back to releasing singles makes sense. That's what they were in the beginning. Blue and Lonesome took them back to their roots, so does releasing singles. An album could be too ambitious for them at this point. The last three have been mostly ho hum. But the occasional single could have some punch to it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2020 05:51

bitusa2012
Erik_Snow
Hairball
Erik_Snow
Hairball

My wife, a woman, LOVES side B, track 5. The version that has not been destroyed in the last remaster.

OMG, that is such a coincidence! My wife is also a woman!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2020 05:52

bitusa2012
Why do we bother with this thread. Close it down

THey'd release an album just to spite us.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 14, 2020 10:30

Two mainly positive observations based on that UNCUT piece.

1. What Mick says of the creation of "Ghost Town" implies that the music they do is a whole band effort: they are cutting the backing tracks together. So what were missing were Mick's finishing touches. Another scenario would had been that of using Mick's demos as a backing track, the rest just adding their stuff there. now - if we assume that "Ghost Town" initially was a 'Jagger song' - the demo had been only used as a rough guidance. This goes along with Mick's recent remark that there needs to be some more band sessions to finish up the album. (His troubles with the ballad he is working with might assume that he is struggling with the final touches there, who knows if we are talking about a follower to "Ghost Town" there.)

We have talked about the 'method' in creating stuff along the years in this thread, but now it seems that they have a clear chosen policy there - no matter from where the song derives - from Mick or Keith, or of their colloboration - they want to play it 'live' in a studio together to make it a 'proper' Stones song.

2. What is important and making a difference in Keith's talks is that they have shifted the attention from the sessions and 'early stages' into releasing stuff. They sound like wanting the stuff out. I cannot help but interpreting that the corona virus and thereby the lack of tour activity has had a big role there. They don't want to be 'quiet'. Mick's been talking about releasing singles - or actually: singular songs - as a main feature of music business nowadays for sometimes now (he strongly picked up the theme when realesed his solo single a few yaers ago, comparing recent times to the old days of the 60's). Now Keith seemingly has warmed up to the idea as well. The release of the 'new' GOATS HEAD SOUP songs, using all the resources music is distributed/shared now, end even offering varying mixes of old demos ("Scarlet" is something they never had done with archives stuff) indicates that they really are emphasizing individual songs now.

(We have to note out that Dylan people did great with his latest album - starting offering singular songs without further notice one by one - thereby maximizing the interest for individual each of those until finally revealing with the third of them that there is a whole new album coming on. Before that people were guessing, and the songs discussed with a microscope all over the music world, what the hell are these? Some TEMPEST rejects? Especially the chosen PR tactics worked with the Kennedy murder song. Had it relaesed as just an album track among the others, surely it would have been noticed a masterpiece song as well, but now they made sure that people were listening nothing but to it - putting all their concentration and attention into it, with no any other distraction or comparison in their mind. Damn it worked well, the song seemingly already has already an unique place in Dylan canon now, no matter how the whole album is viewed now or in future - sad, by the way, how quickly the album, no matter how much the critics praised it, seems to have gone out of sight, and not much talked anymore.)

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-14 10:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 14, 2020 11:59

Doxa
Two mainly positive observations based on that UNCUT piece.

1. What Mick says of the creation of "Ghost Town" implies that the music they do is a whole band effort: they are cutting the backing tracks together. So what were missing were Mick's finishing touches. Another scenario would had been that of using Mick's demos as a backing track, the rest just adding their stuff there. now - if we assume that "Ghost Town" initially was a 'Jagger song' - the demo had been only used as a rough guidance. This goes along with Mick's recent remark that there needs to be some more band sessions to finish up the album. (His troubles with the ballad he is working with might assume that he is struggling with the final touches there, who knows if we are talking about a follower to "Ghost Town" there.)

We have talked about the 'method' in creating stuff along the years in this thread, but now it seems that they have a clear chosen policy there - no matter from where the song derives - from Mick or Keith, or of their colloboration - they want to play it 'live' in a studio together to make it a 'proper' Stones song.

2. What is important and making a difference in Keith's talks is that they have shifted the attention from the sessions and 'early stages' into releasing stuff. They sound like wanting the stuff out. I cannot help but interpreting that the corona virus and thereby the lack of tour activity has had a big role there. They don't want to be 'quiet'. Mick's been talking about releasing singles - or actually: singular songs - as a main feature of music business nowadays for sometimes now (he strongly picked up the theme when realesed his solo single a few yaers ago, comparing recent times to the old days of the 60's). Now Keith seemingly has warmed up to the idea as well. The release of the 'new' GOATS HEAD SOUP songs, using all the resources music is distributed/shared now, end even offering varying mixes of old demos ("Scarlet" is something they never had done with archives stuff) indicates that they really are emphasizing individual songs now.

(We have to note out that Dylan people did great with his latest album - starting offering singular songs without further notice one by one - thereby maximizing the interest for individual each of those until finally revealing with the third of them that there is a whole new album coming on. Before that people were guessing, and the songs discussed with a microscope all over the music world, what the hell are these? Some TEMPEST rejects? Especially the chosen PR tactics worked with the Kennedy murder song. Had it relaesed as just an album track among the others, surely it would have been noticed a masterpiece song as well, but now they made sure that people were listening nothing but to it - putting all their concentration and attention into it, with no any other distraction or comparison in their mind. Damn it worked well, the song seemingly already has already an unique place in Dylan canon now, no matter how the whole album is viewed now or in future - sad, by the way, how quickly the album, no matter how much the critics praised it, seems to have gone out of sight, and not much talked anymore.)

- Doxa

Dylan - yes, it's sad, but is it really surprising? I must admit, as a Dylan aficionado for a large part of my life who went all the way to see him in Blackbushe 1978 and countless shows afterwards, that the album, no matter how much the critics praised it, bored me to death when trying to listen to it all the way through. Great lyrics alone don't make great songs, and the one or two chord soundscapes that make up large portions of the album are imo tiresome to say the least.

Stones - I think we've finally entered the phase where they have to make the most out of whatever unreleased stuff is in their vaults - and that's perfectly ok with me who totally lost interest in seeing their live shows anymore. And the new album - well, I think it's obvious that it's all gearing up for their 60th Anniversary by now. It's not just "a new album" - it will be their last, and they know it.

Date: August 14, 2020 12:08

Dylan ... a good move with release of Kennedy
murder song but dont think release of next two
tracks was a good move ....tracks were average and
took the steam out of album release ....

album flat and boring .... some of
it sounded like gangster rap brag words
set to folk music...Jimmy reed song woulda been a cool instrumental ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...451452453454455456457458459460461...LastNext
Current Page: 456 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home