Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...436437438439440441442443444445446...LastNext
Current Page: 441 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 27, 2020 19:55

DandelionPowderman
MisterDDDD
CousinC
Maybe just a pre-tour business meeting of the band?

A new album will eventually come - but I'm not too excited about these Paris rumours.

Could be, but coupled with Jaggers low-key "working on new songs" comment, I think this rumor has teeth. Charlie's off the cuff "yeah, where is the new album?" comment made it clear he thought it was close or done. Being that close a year+ ago, makes me think we may very well see it drop relatively soon.

Agreed. And when Doug says they did record in Paris, I believe him. He's not making stuff up.

You really think they were finishing up a new album in Paris that they are about to release, or that they have any specific plans to release? You think Doug has knowledge of that?

You don't think it's more likely that any work that was done involved polishing the GHS reissue? That if there actually was a "new album" -- that if whatever they have done in the studio the last 5 or so years has become a collection of songs they are readying for release -- that there would be some indication other than that some of the band members had dinner together in Paris?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 27, 2020 20:00

At this point we should expect the new album to come out via the From the Vault Series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-27 20:00 by Justin.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 27, 2020 20:16

Hairball
Charlie's "where's the new album" comment was made over two years ago, and it was not because they album was anywhere near being ready.
It was out of his frustration of putting in work and not seeing/hearing any of the results.

To paraphrase: " we did a session here, a session there, and another session before that...so where's the new album"?
Ronnie quickly changed the subject as to not dwell on the "hitting the Wall" vibe of the process, and started talking about the Blue and Lonesome Grammy - that's how long ago that quote is from.
Simply put - Charlie was/is completely out of the loop when it comes to making the new album happen, or at least he has no clue as to when it will ever be finished.
He probably knows less than this guy who has a friend who supposedly spotted the band in a restaurant in Paris and somehow came to the conclusion the album was finished.

Yeah.. not the read I took from it. He legit thought it could be done.
Goes into a bit more detail in this interview.. again a year+ ago.

Talks about the work having being done, but he's not the writers of the music, so Mick and Keith have final say. Sounds pretty damn close to me.

Date: February 27, 2020 20:24

Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman
MisterDDDD
CousinC
Maybe just a pre-tour business meeting of the band?

A new album will eventually come - but I'm not too excited about these Paris rumours.

Could be, but coupled with Jaggers low-key "working on new songs" comment, I think this rumor has teeth. Charlie's off the cuff "yeah, where is the new album?" comment made it clear he thought it was close or done. Being that close a year+ ago, makes me think we may very well see it drop relatively soon.

Agreed. And when Doug says they did record in Paris, I believe him. He's not making stuff up.

You really think they were finishing up a new album in Paris that they are about to release, or that they have any specific plans to release? You think Doug has knowledge of that?

You don't think it's more likely that any work that was done involved polishing the GHS reissue? That if there actually was a "new album" -- that if whatever they have done in the studio the last 5 or so years has become a collection of songs they are readying for release -- that there would be some indication other than that some of the band members had dinner together in Paris?

When they choose to release it is another question. I have no reason to doubt neither Doug or Ulli, though.

Date: February 27, 2020 20:41

MisterDDDD
Hairball
Charlie's "where's the new album" comment was made over two years ago, and it was not because they album was anywhere near being ready.
It was out of his frustration of putting in work and not seeing/hearing any of the results.

To paraphrase: " we did a session here, a session there, and another session before that...so where's the new album"?
Ronnie quickly changed the subject as to not dwell on the "hitting the Wall" vibe of the process, and started talking about the Blue and Lonesome Grammy - that's how long ago that quote is from.
Simply put - Charlie was/is completely out of the loop when it comes to making the new album happen, or at least he has no clue as to when it will ever be finished.
He probably knows less than this guy who has a friend who supposedly spotted the band in a restaurant in Paris and somehow came to the conclusion the album was finished.

Talks about the work having being done, but he's not the writers of the music, so Mick and Keith have final say. Sounds pretty damn close to me.

Here's the other interview where he speaks of it (starting 18 minute-ish mark..)
May not "have a clue" about when it will be finished, but a lot of clues as to how much work they've done, how many tracks laid down etc..
"Less than the friend of the guy in a restaurant etc.," seems oddly disrespectful to Charlie.

I stand by the.. "he seems surprised it's not out yet" comment, because he does.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 27, 2020 20:52

MisterDDDD
Hairball

In the video I was referring to with Ronnie, I think we actually have the same read- he not only thought it could be done, but thought it should be done! But to me the frustration was clear in his tone and body language - "where's the new album"?
In the video above (two years old), he says basically the same thing - he's put in his work and is resigned to the fact it's completely out of his hands, and admits he has no idea of where the album currently is "I've lost track, I don't know where we're at with it", and "it's whether they're happy with it, and I don't know if they are or not". He sounds less frustrated than in the previous video (again he sounds resigned knowing it's out of his hands), but clearly he has no idea about when (or if) it will be released. Two years later, and still nobody knows. To think some random two year old quotes from Charlie (who admittedly has no idea) help give a clue to the status of the album seems a stretch, but it's always good to have hope.

Date: February 27, 2020 20:58

MisterDDDD

Here's the other interview where he speaks of it (starting 18 minute-ish mark..)
May not "have a clue" about when it will be finished, but a lot of clues as to how much work they've done, how many tracks laid down etc..
"Less than the friend of the guy in a restaurant etc.," seems oddly disrespectful to Charlie.

I stand by the.. "he seems surprised it's not out yet" comment, because he does.

As stated above, we agree - he thinks it could have and should have been done. But to me it's clear that he's frustrated that it isn't!
Notice how Ronnie jumps in and immediately changes the subject?

"oddly disrespectful to Charlie" lol....give me a break...

Date: February 27, 2020 21:16

Charlie: "We did another set of sessions for the new album, and another set of sessions, so I don't know where the new album is now, do you"?

Ronnie: "NO, all I know is..." (changes subject to Blue and Lonesome Grammy)

Charlie: "We've done so many bloody sessions..."

Charlie sounds a bit frustrated to me, and to think this was over two years ago...wonder how he would answer now?
Probably throw his hands in the air, shake his head, and laugh in defeat.

Date: February 27, 2020 21:35

Hairball

I did winking smiley

He's not senile for chrissakes and knows how much works gone into them.

Date: February 27, 2020 21:43

MisterDDDD
Hairball

I did winking smiley

He's not senile for chrissakes and knows how much works gone into them.

I never said he was senile, and I acknowledge he knows how much work has gone in to the album - so much work in fact that he thinks the album should have been finished years ago!
BUT it's a fact that he knows very little about the current status of where the album currently is - in how own words he admits this repeatedly.

"I've lost track, I don't know where we're at with it",

"it's whether they're happy with it, and I don't know if they are or not"

"so I don't know where the new album is now, do you"?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 27, 2020 21:47

MisterDDDD

Here's probably the greatest Stones interview that's been done in years

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 27, 2020 22:00

"Keith posted on instragram?" cracking up already lol

Date: February 27, 2020 22:02

The whole thing is hilarious!
"I saw Ed Sheeran the other night. Presented him with an award"
"I know you did... disgusting"

Date: February 27, 2020 22:05

"We have a coffee, usually"
*produces spontaneous cup of coffee*

Date: February 27, 2020 22:12

"They don't have ends on -now- they just... go"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 27, 2020 22:39

Hairball
I acknowledged he knows how much work has gone in to the album - so much work in fact that he thinks the album should have been finished years ago!
BUT it's a fact that he knows very little about the current status of where the album currently is - in how own words he admits this repeatedly.

Not surprising. As Charlie has said before, he doesn't write the songs or produce them. He lays down the backing track and might not need to do anything else unless they edit the hell out of the tracks to the extent that he needs to add an overdub here or there.

Now whether or not he's truly in the dark about the state of the new album(s) is another matter. They do have business meetings. I doubt they make pointless remarks to one another about the clay needing to bake or woodworking class being dull like they say to us.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 27, 2020 23:15

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Hairball

In the video I was referring to with Ronnie, I think we actually have the same read- he not only thought it could be done, but thought it should be done! But to me the frustration was clear in his tone and body language - "where's the new album"?
In the video above (two years old), he says basically the same thing - he's put in his work and is resigned to the fact it's completely out of his hands, and admits he has no idea of where the album currently is "I've lost track, I don't know where we're at with it", and "it's whether they're happy with it, and I don't know if they are or not". He sounds less frustrated than in the previous video (again he sounds resigned knowing it's out of his hands), but clearly he has no idea about when (or if) it will be released. Two years later, and still nobody knows. To think some random two year old quotes from Charlie (who admittedly has no idea) help give a clue to the status of the album seems a stretch, but it's always good to have hope.

and keep in mind they have all been in the studio since then again a couple times (as well as doing a few bits here and again on their own in the studio).

... so there is no doubt the work is there. They have loads of sesssions on the album in various places ...

My feeling is Mick & Keith are not yet (or were not) satisfied with some of the material (could be doing a few more new / better songs) .. and are (or were) tweaking some of what they got ..

Now here we are .. So there was talk about them not being in the studio enough .. they have plenty of studio time in on it (accumulated). However Mick and Keith were not yet satisfied with it. Hopefully since then or recently they have splashed the final touches on it.

Date: February 27, 2020 23:22

Rocky Dijon
Hairball
I acknowledged he knows how much work has gone in to the album - so much work in fact that he thinks the album should have been finished years ago!

Not surprising. As Charlie has said before, he doesn't write the songs or produce them. He lays down the backing track and might not need to do anything else unless they edit the hell out of the tracks to the extent that he needs to add an overdub here or there.

Now whether or not he's truly in the dark about the state of the new album(s) is another matter. They do have business meetings. I doubt they make pointless remarks to one another about the clay needing to bake or woodworking class being dull like they say to us.

I agree. I'm sure Mick and Keith told Charlie they are still working on it, asked if he wanted to hear it or perhaps played it for him etc at the meetings as time went on.

I am sure they talked about the status of the album and when would be a good time to release it 'together'. They are all in the same band .. remember folks.

Charlie plays the 'I'm just Charlie Watts .. I just play behind the kit .. not much else I pay attention to or know about' .. and while that is true to a point
he knows whats going on with the band and album and other things. He even gives
his recommendation at odd times.

Date: February 27, 2020 23:59

Maybe they will at least give us one new number from the album on the 2020 tour. Let's hope they at least pull out something for us.

The new album will be called "Waiting all these years" or " We finally did it" something along these lines.

Date: February 28, 2020 01:00

IanBillen

I agree. I'm sure Mick and Keith told Charlie they are still working on it, asked if he wanted to hear it or perhaps played it for him etc at the meetings as time went on.

I am sure they talked about the status of the album and when would be a good time to release it 'together'. They are all in the same band .. remember folks.

Charlie plays the 'I'm just Charlie Watts .. I just play behind the kit .. not much else I pay attention to or know about' .. and while that is true to a point

Maybe, maybe not, but I'll side with what Charlie says vs. some wild fanatical internet speculations on how he really acts and what his role in the band is - no offense Ian..
Straight from the horses mouth - Charlie has no reason to hide behind a facade, and his last statements on the album were clear - after he did his work, he knows very little else.
Aside from the touring, he's probably more interested in his horses and jazz band than whatever the Stones are up to in the studio.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 28, 2020 01:17

My hopeful schedule:

May 2020: Tour Starts, and GHS Reissue
During Tour: Debut new song from album
After tour (August): 2nd single
Little bit later: final single
November: Album release/some RSD release

Date: February 28, 2020 01:43

Hairball
IanBillen

Maybe, maybe not, but I'll side with what Charlie says vs. some wild fanatical internet speculations on how he really acts and what his role in the band is - no offense Ian..
Straight from the horses mouth - Charlie has no reason to hide behind a facade, and his last statements on the album were clear - after he did his work, he knows very little else.
Aside from the touring, he's probably more interested in his horses and jazz band than whatever the Stones are up to in the studio.

At the time I am sure he knew little else (however I am sure there was more to the story he wasn't sharing entirely). I am sure he has been fully briefed since then is what I am saying. As well they have all been in the studio 'together' a few times since then .. He's not a session drummer .. he knows and is fully aware what hes showing up for in the studio is my point.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 28, 2020 02:49

CJFP
My hopeful schedule:

All that in one year.. would make it seem like it's 1965!

Date: February 28, 2020 02:57

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

At the time I am sure he knew little else (however I am sure there was more to the story he wasn't sharing entirely). I am sure he has been fully briefed since then is what I am saying. As well they have all been in the studio 'together' a few times since then .. He's not a session drummer .. he knows and is fully aware what hes showing up for in the studio is my point.

Seems the parts he wasn't sharing in the videos was the hitting the wall situation, and it looked like he was about to when Ronnie suddenly changed the subject.
Yes I'm sure he's been fully briefed since then, because after all this time they've done several tours and surely the question regarding a new album must come up one time or another.
And sure he might have done another session or two since then, but that doesn't really mean anything when Mick very recently says he's still writing songs for the new album - specifically:

"I'm just writing songs for the Stones album. I'm trying to get some other ones done - we got a reissue of Goats Head Soup with a couple of extra tracks - I'm trying to finish those.".

Seems clear to me that the main focus right now has been on the GHS reissue, and any work on the new album has once again taken a back seat. And with the new tour just around the corner (just over two months!), followed by some lengthy post-tour family time, recuperation, vacation time, etc., well it seems a stretch to think the new album is anywhere in sight, though I'd love to be proven wrong. Unfortunately common sense tells me it's still a LONG ways off, and just to enjoy the tour and the GHS reissue. Eventually some day we might be able to celebrate a new album, and I think retired_dog's scenario seems truer now than it ever has - the new album will be part of the 60th anniversary celebration!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 03:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 03:27

CJFP
My hopeful schedule:

That would be a dream! Sadly if the GHS Reissue is close to being done, I doubt they'd release that and a new album in the same year. If this is the case, we have to, yet again, rule out the new album for this year and look towards a 2021 release.

Date: February 28, 2020 04:21

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

Seems the parts he wasn't sharing in the videos was the hitting the wall situation, and it looked like he was about to when Ronnie suddenly changed the subject.
Yes I'm sure he's been fully briefed since then, because after all this time they've done several tours and surely the question regarding a new album must come up one time or another.
And sure he might have done another session or two since then, but that doesn't really mean anything when Mick very recently says he's still writing songs for the new album - specifically:

"I'm just writing songs for the Stones album. I'm trying to get some other ones done - we got a reissue of Goats Head Soup with a couple of extra tracks - I'm trying to finish those.".

Seems clear to me that the main focus right now has been on the GHS reissue, and any work on the new album has once again taken a back seat. And with the new tour just around the corner (just over two months!), followed by some lengthy post-tour family time, recuperation, vacation time, etc., well it seems a stretch to think the new album is anywhere in sight, though I'd love to be proven wrong. Unfortunately common sense tells me it's still a LONG ways off, and just to enjoy the tour and the GHS reissue. Eventually some day we might be able to celebrate a new album, and I think retired_dog's scenario seems truer now than it ever has - the new album will be part of the 60th anniversary celebration!!!

We don't know when the GHS re-issue is coming though? The recording and overdubs for the new studio album could be finished .. they could / may mix it post tour and release it in late Fall (that is also a possibility).

As per recording / overdubbing etc ...How many sets of sessions and recording bits and stints can they do? My guess is the 'recording' part is finished. Perhaps Jagger wrote lyrics and finished doing some vocals on them .. who knows.

I have the feeling they have the new album in the bag (basically done .. minus mixing/ mastering .. their full band and all recording work on it is all done is my feeling).

If their work is not done .. Id say the quality of the album does not look good at all. Is sort of like a mechanic or designer making a car or a painter making a painting (or set of paintings). After 10 years
and there is still work to be done .. this leads to .. they
just dont have the chops to create darn good stuff anymore.

Lets put it this way Mr. Hairball (and everyone) ...

>> Dude .. if it's NOT basically all finished by now .. considering studio sessions covering five years, writing sessions, single men studio sessions .. Mick and Ronnie sessions etc etc and a frigging by-product album out of it to boot in that being Blue & Lonesome (which is wonderful btw) we are in trouble (as far as its quality is concerned).

After all this time .. the various group sessions .. and all the working chunks and bits they did on said album .. look ... it BETTER be basically all recorded by now Lol

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 05:07 by IanBillen.

Date: February 28, 2020 05:06

There's always the GHS reissue to look forward to, and based on what we know it will be released well before any new album.
The fact they're even talking about the GHS reissue is a way to deflect focus away from a new album, and quite frankly, I very much look forward to it (along with the tour), maybe even more so than a new album at this point.
Can you imagine all of the bonus extras that could be included in the GHS reissue? There's enough extra studio and live material to make up a jumbo super sized deluxe box set. Fantastic!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 28, 2020 05:10

Hairball

Where do you see that or for that matter, where has there ever been "wild fanatical internet speculations on how Charlie really acts and what his role in the band is?" Genuinely curious.

Date: February 28, 2020 05:13

Hairball
There's always the GHS reissue to look forward to, and based on what we know it will be released well before any new album.
The fact they're even talking about the GHS reissue is a way to deflect focus away from a new album, and quite frankly, I very much look forward to it (along with the tour), maybe even more so than a new album at this point.
Can you imagine all of the bonus extras that could be included in the GHS reissue? There's enough extra studio and live material to make up a jumbo super sized deluxe box set. Fantastic!

I def agree .. Micks throw-in about GHS when asked about the new studio album is
Mick Jagger speak for = it's not coming any time soon .. so don't expect that.

As far as GHS.. I've mentioned it before here and on Rocks Off several times ..GHS is actually my 'personal' favorite Stones album (always has been). I know it's not their best.. it's certainly not their most commercial .. etc. etc. but it is my 'personal' favorite. Though I only spin it in full maybe once a decade anymore (if that lol) ... It is still held closer to my heart than their several other stronger records.

Date: February 28, 2020 05:21

IanBillen
Hairball

I def agree .. Micks throw-in about GHS when asked about the new studio album is
Mick Jagger speak for = it's not coming any time soon .. so don't expect that.

As far as GHS.. I've mentioned it before here and on Rocks Off several times ..GHS is actually my 'personal' favorite Stones album (always has been). I know it's not their best.. it's certainly not their most commercial .. etc. etc. but it is my 'personal' favorite. Though I only spin it in full maybe once a decade anymore (if that lol) ... It is still held closer to my heart than their several other stronger records.

Definitely a personal favorite of mine as well Ian - was just listening to Heartbreaker full blast after posting that last reply...still stunning after all these years.
Not a bad tune on the entire album imo, though I've always thought Star Star to be overrated. Angie is in my top 20 all time greatest Stones tunes, and 100 Years Ago is a beautiful journey.
But back on topic....whatever that is....oh yeah, a new album....eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...436437438439440441442443444445446...LastNext
Current Page: 441 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home