Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...434435436437438439440441442443444...LastNext
Current Page: 439 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 17, 2020 10:32

Ian,

please check my three posts on page 436 on this topic, crosscheck them with what georgelicks posted on pages 437/438, find the matches and you'll most likely come to a better understanding of the situation.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 17, 2020 16:22

I think its very easy.
They have quite a lot of (basic?)songs by now. But the material just isn't very good.
If you are a musician and have great song - you put them out.Perhaps you'll wait for Xmas but not for years.

If they still have it in them to finally get out a very good last album enough people will buy it.
If not the material will be for the years after.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 17, 2020 16:45

im sure Mick's salivating at the idea that some dudes on this board will rate his work as filler or worse.....he could give three shits....why is this even a hot topic?....I can barely bring myself to spend what they are asking for to go see them in Tampa...I mean $347 for a ticket is outrageous when they will only play one or 2 songs outside a set list that's been set for decades.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 17, 2020 21:58

Rip This
im sure Mick's salivating at the idea that some dudes on this board will rate his work as filler or worse.....he could give three shits....why is this even a hot topic?....I can barely bring myself to spend what they are asking for to go see them in Tampa...I mean $347 for a ticket is outrageous when they will only play one or 2 songs outside a set list that's been set for decades.

You've nailed it! I agree with everything you say. Sadly the band I have loved for more years than I can count, have now become just a cash grabbing machine, charging exorbitant prices to play a set list largely set in concrete. That's why I'm not going this time. And probably never again - unless they change their set list policy! Which is VERY unlikely ...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 17, 2020 22:37

retired_dog
keithsman
Nikkei
If they're still capable of deceiving you, that's on you. This contempt thing is a chuckle. Was already wondering when Mick's ineptitude would come into it, but you never disappoint

I'm consistent, and over time my thoughts usually turn out right.
Crosseyed Heart was a blow to Mick's ego, it was shockingly good and Mick is having trouble coming to terms with the fact that Keith can deliver great music this late in the game, Mick is struggling creatively, that's evident to all but a few on here. 15 years with nothing to shout about, It happens to musicians at Mick's age, writers block is one word for it, but it's not even that, he just can't make great music anymore period. I'm not picking on him, it's just a fact. Hope the new album proves me wrong though.
What i don't understand is why don't Mick and Keith make an album up from previously unfinished tracks if they have hit a wall. There must be enough good material left that didn't make it on various albums to make a fantastic double album of originals. That's what Tattoo You was, unfinished tracks from up to a decade before.

I agree with posters above, Crosseyed Heart gives us hope, but i feel Keith efforts have been derailed for 6 years now, time to ditch this album and Keith go it alone again, this album is nothing more than a sinking ship at this stage, Keith and Ronnie need to bailout.

There did that disappoint. winking smiley

I wonder how you could not break out in laughter after reading your own lines!

A quick reality check: Personal preferences aside, neither Mick's single nor Crosseyed Heart created much stir outside their respective fan circles and are largely forgotten by now.

The only scenario I could imagine where CH could possibly be a blow to Mick's ego would be that CH was indeed the masterpiece you fabled (instead of being just nice and quite enjoyable imo), as such included a handful of Gimme Shelter-calibre tracks and outsold everything the Stones released in decades. That obviously happed in your wildest dreams!

But, yeah, the imagination of Mick sleepless, sitting there night and day listening to Crosseyed Heart again and again and losing his self-confidence and finally his mind over the thought how Keith could have come up with a masterpiece like that, is all to funny, I give you that.

That counts for most artist nowadays. Should they then stop creativity!!#
Clapton continues - I still do. Mostly forgotten, but still a man that wants to record new stuff - even crappy x-mas songs.

Stones, long time gone - sad. But, we must respect their decision. However, B&L shows that they still can make good records - not only to their fan-base. Sold some 2 million worldwide which is very good nowadays. Maybe B&L should be the way forward, and why not play blues covers. They have always been good to play blues covers. That's where everything started.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: February 18, 2020 00:44

AND IN THE END
I CAME TO SEE THAT
I JUST WANTED SOMETHING THE BAND DID NOT HAVE IN THEM TO GIVE
(IT WAS A PSYCHIC MISMATCH)
SO I GAVE THAT SOMETHING AS A GIFT TO MYSELF IN THE FORM OF A SEGMENT OF A LARGER DREAM (THAT VERY PROBABLY SAVED MY LIFE)
AND NOW I CAN IN MY FINAL INCARNATION BID THEM ADIEU
THANK THEM FOR WHAT THEY GAVE AND FORGIVE THEM WHAT THEY WERE UNABLE TO GIVE
--LAZSMITH<--LBA72

I approach the stage from behind. Hearing the band crank out jumpin jack flash in an electrified roar for the 9 billionth time. There are hundreds of thousands of screaming fans partially visible through the parted red velvet curtains at the front of the stage. And the band are … children! Almost toddler-sized! Mick jagger comes running around waving his arms and shaking his hips and he is barely big enough to hold the microphone! This pains me - their talent infantilized - and I keep on walking past the other band members until I get to the front of the stage. I pull the curtains closed and turn to face the band … who have now become the old men they are today. I now become mick jagger and take a seat on a wooden stool in front of a microphone nestled into its stand. I look over at keith who holds a battered acoustic guitar. there’s a look of confusion and almost terror on his face. As in, what am I supposed to do with this? I tell him and the rest of the band that we are going to play coming down again, a DEEEEEP cut from their 1973 album goats head soup. Keith is now in full terror. I can’t play that anymore. Yes you can, I say, trust me. You can. I can’t, my fingers won’t work, i’ll look like an idiot. You can play it. We’ll play it, and it will be wonderful. I take them through the tune, it’s halting, it’s hard to start, but it begins to sound … ok. I get up from the stool and go back to the curtains and pull them apart, revealing 20 or 30 people sitting in easy chairs, all gathered around to hear the band. I return to the stool and look at keith. You can do this. I nod to him. He starts the song. And it is rapturous, and intimate, and acoustic, and better than anything they have done in years. I add my “sky fall down again” backup vocals and keith beams – we did it!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2020 00:49

…. I thought it could only send you blind …….. hhhaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 18, 2020 04:57

retired_dog
Ian,

please check my three posts on page 436 on this topic, crosscheck them with what georgelicks posted on pages 437/438, find the matches and you'll most likely come to a better understanding of the situation.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will do.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 18, 2020 05:53

mtaylor
retired_dog
keithsman
Nikkei
If they're still capable of deceiving you, that's on you. This contempt thing is a chuckle. Was already wondering when Mick's ineptitude would come into it, but you never disappoint

Crosseyed Heart was a blow to Mick's ego, it was shockingly good and Mick is having trouble coming to terms with the fact that Keith can deliver great music this late in the game, Mick is struggling creatively, that's evident to all but a few on here. 15 years with nothing to shout about, It happens to musicians at Mick's age, writers block is one word for it, but it's not even that, he just can't make great music anymore period. I'm not picking on him, it's just a fact. Hope the new album proves me wrong though.
What i don't understand is why don't Mick and Keith make an album up from previously unfinished tracks if they have hit a wall. There must be enough good material left that didn't make it on various albums to make a fantastic double album of originals. That's what Tattoo You was, unfinished tracks from up to a decade before.

I agree with posters above, Crosseyed Heart gives us hope, but i feel Keith efforts have been derailed for 6 years now, time to ditch this album and Keith go it alone again, this album is nothing more than a sinking ship at this stage, Keith and Ronnie need to bailout.

A quick reality check: Personal preferences aside, neither Mick's single nor Crosseyed Heart created much stir outside their respective fan circles and are largely forgotten by now.

The only scenario I could imagine where CH could possibly be a blow to Mick's ego would be that CH was indeed the masterpiece you fabled (instead of being just nice and quite enjoyable imo), as such included a handful of Gimme Shelter-calibre tracks and outsold everything the Stones released in decades. That obviously happed in your wildest dreams!

But, yeah, the imagination of Mick sleepless, sitting there night and day listening to Crosseyed Heart again and again and losing his self-confidence and finally his mind over the thought how Keith could have come up with a masterpiece like that, is all to funny, I give you that.

Clapton continues - I still do. Mostly forgotten, but still a man that wants to record new stuff - even crappy x-mas songs.

Stones, long time gone - sad. But, we must respect their decision. However, B&L shows that they still can make good records - not only to their fan-base. Sold some 2 million worldwide which is very good nowadays. Maybe B&L should be the way forward, and why not play blues covers. They have always been good to play blues covers. That's where everything started.

Would love to hear them do another Blues album, with guest musicians. Not a lot of greats left, but Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Taj Mahal, Jack White, Bonnie Raitt, Steven Stills, Billy Gibbons, Sonny Landreth, Derek Trucks, and John Mayer would be a great place to start. (Dang, almost the entire generation of black blues players are simply gone).

Date: February 18, 2020 18:08

24FPS
mtaylor
retired_dog
keithsman
Nikkei

Would love to hear them do another Blues album, with guest musicians. Not a lot of greats left, but Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Taj Mahal, Jack White, Bonnie Raitt, Steven Stills, Billy Gibbons, Sonny Landreth, Derek Trucks, and John Mayer would be a great place to start. (Dang, almost the entire generation of black blues players are simply gone).
Buddy Guy still there and still touring

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: February 19, 2020 02:48

IMHO there will never be a new album of originals.

Too many years have passed with new album "coming soon" or "coming along".

Reminds me of the married man who keeps telling his mistress he is leaving his wife but never does.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2020 03:31

Until proven otherwise just like the previous 3 years:

No new album this year.

This thread should go away and give way to the GOATS HEAD SOUP reissue - it's all we're gonna get for 2020 other than another tour with the same ol' 19 songs.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2020 04:20

mtaylor
24FPS
mtaylor
retired_dog
keithsman
Nikkei

Yes, but they use him fairly regularly. And Keith was on his last solo album. And he had a major spot on Shine A Light. Ditto for Clapton, who did a bang up couple numbers on Blue & Lonesome, but let's give others a shot.

Date: February 19, 2020 20:29

24FPS
mtaylor
24FPS
mtaylor
retired_dog
keithsman
Nikkei

Yes, but they use him fairly regularly. And Keith was on his last solo album. And he had a major spot on Shine A Light. Ditto for Clapton, who did a bang up couple numbers on Blue & Lonesome, but let's give others a shot.
Jeff Beck has also been around Stones / Mick Jagger lately. Jack White was on SAL. John Mayer / Bonnie Raitt on 50'th anniversary tour.

Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 23, 2020 08:42

roller99
I just returned from Ringo's Birthday at Capitol Records. Don Was was there, so of course I ignored Ringo to talk to him like any good Stones guy would. I asked him how the album was. "It sounds great, but it's not finished, you should hear it". My response was to hand him my card and ask him to invite me over for a listen. I'm gonna see if I can make this happen.
(2017)

Hi Roller!
After 3 years, this supposed new album it is still a 'puzzle' and they are still working on it. I hope he remembers you!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 24, 2020 11:04

I've been listening to Voodoo Lounge outtakes.. great stuff on there.. Zip Mouth Angel etc.. I wish they would just (in case there's a writer's block like I read on here) finish these demos and just release some kind of Tattoo You 2020 album. Who cares if it's from 1993.. Stones songs are timeless..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-24 11:04 by NilsHolgersson.

Date: February 24, 2020 12:26

Did the Stones finish their new album/the GHS reissue in Paris in February? There are some rumors going now. Anybody else who heard this?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 24, 2020 13:34

Source/link to those rumors?

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: February 24, 2020 13:44

StonesDoug has mentioned this, but not sure where he got it from!

Date: February 24, 2020 13:47

bye bye johnny
Source/link to those rumors?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-24 13:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 24, 2020 14:29

Based on respective Twitter timelines, it appears that Keith has been down in the islands and Mick has been physically prepping for the tour.

I would rate this rumor as unlikely.

As always,

We.

Know.

Nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-24 14:30 by MelBelli.

Date: February 24, 2020 15:55

MelBelli
Based on respective Twitter timelines, it appears that Keith has been down in the islands and Mick has been physically prepping for the tour.

As always,

We.

Know.

Nothing.

For some reason I can't post a pic here now, but according to an über-fan (lots of fans know who he is, he runs a Stones museum) his friend (who saw the Stones) reported this:

– The band were in Paris early February
– They dined at Hotel Costes
– They finished their new album in Paris

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 24, 2020 16:03

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 24, 2020 16:04

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli

As always,

We.

Know.

Nothing.

All I can say is, I hope it’s true.

For some reason I can't post a pic here now, but according to an über-fan (lots of fans know who he is, he runs a Stones museum) his friend (who saw the Stones) reported this:

– The band were in Paris early February
– They dined at Hotel Costes
– They finished their new album in Paris

Date: February 24, 2020 16:17

NilsHolgersson

There it is.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 24, 2020 16:29

I look forward to further confirmation!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 24, 2020 16:31

Yeaahhh!!! :-D

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 24, 2020 16:46

Bjorn
Yeaahhh!!! :-D

Yes, this is what Stones Doug says as well. Shidoobee.

plexi

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 24, 2020 16:52

Thanks DP & Nils.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 24, 2020 18:23

The Band were in Paris in early February...So also Keith and Charlie were there?!If they finished new album there, hopefully we'll have it soon...In 2020 for sure

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...434435436437438439440441442443444...LastNext
Current Page: 439 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home