Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...433434435436437438439440441442443...LastNext
Current Page: 438 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 16, 2020 06:02

More questions than answers Ian, but what georgelicks said last week sort of spells it out unfortunately:

"with the new re-issue of GHS, the chances for the new album released this year is very doubtful now...the re-issue of a 47 years old album is more bad news for the whole thing"

So we have a tour filled with oldies, and a 47 year old album to be reissued...seems a good time to either embrace the nostalgia, or remain disgruntled.
I'm trying to remain positive and enjoy it all, though I can understand how difficult that is for some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 06:03 by Hairball.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: February 16, 2020 08:33

I think The Rolling Stones will become a pure "Nostalgic Band".
This is the truth!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 16, 2020 09:33

wupperstein
This is the truth!

"nostalgic band", "live band", "itinerant brand"...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 16, 2020 09:53

wupperstein
This is the truth!

that kind of future has already begun some 10 years ago

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 16, 2020 15:01

georgelicks
Rolling Stones in 1989:

Steel Wheels was a multi-platinum album, it spent 4 months in the Top 10, 7 months in the Top 50 and it spawned a Top 5 hit and a Top 25 hit. Also the band was in their mid 40's back then.

Rolling Stones in 2020:

The band is in their mid-late 70's, the last studio album was released 15 years ago and barely went gold, it lasted 3 weeks in the Top 40 and no single charted inside the Hot 100.

Album sales are down over 75% since 2005 and almost no album reaches Gold anymore, a contemporary act as THE WHO released a new studio album two months ago, it went 2-90-194-out of the chart in less than a month.

The motivation is ZERO, no one cares, let's play the hits live for tourists and die hards and that's it, no market for new music so no new music at all.

I think you're being too negative. Blue & Lonesome went to number one in the UK and became a platinum album and won them a Grammy Award. There's still a market for a new Rolling Stones album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 15:01 by NilsHolgersson.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 16, 2020 16:20

wupperstein
This is the truth!

think about this for a second. you're 'accusing' a band that has been around and active for 60 years, of being a pure nostalgic band. what the hell were you expecting? and furthermore, what does that make you (us), that we're following them to the point of posting thoughts and analysis of the band on a message board?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 16, 2020 17:03

NilsHolgersson
georgelicks
Rolling Stones in 1989:

Steel Wheels was a multi-platinum album, it spent 4 months in the Top 10, 7 months in the Top 50 and it spawned a Top 5 hit and a Top 25 hit. Also the band was in their mid 40's back then.

Rolling Stones in 2020:

The band is in their mid-late 70's, the last studio album was released 15 years ago and barely went gold, it lasted 3 weeks in the Top 40 and no single charted inside the Hot 100.

Album sales are down over 75% since 2005 and almost no album reaches Gold anymore, a contemporary act as THE WHO released a new studio album two months ago, it went 2-90-194-out of the chart in less than a month.

The motivation is ZERO, no one cares, let's play the hits live for tourists and die hards and that's it, no market for new music so no new music at all.

I think you're being too negative. Blue & Lonesome went to number one in the UK and became a platinum album and won them a Grammy Award. There's still a market for a new Rolling Stones album.

True thumbs up

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 16, 2020 17:21

MelBelli
NilsHolgersson
georgelicks
Rolling Stones in 1989:

Rolling Stones in 2020:

True thumbs up
Tragic - no creativity because no-one buys new music anymore.
Not completely true. If Stones had something to offer, people would buy it just like B/L. People want to buy new music, but quality is BAD. Everything has become nonsense on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Social media ruined it all.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 16, 2020 20:48

NilsHolgersson
georgelicks
Rolling Stones in 1989:

Rolling Stones in 2020:

Yes, B&L was a success by today's standards, the promotion was good and it was released during the Christmas season, still it was a covers album and that kind of stuff works good during the holiday season.

Sadly, the market for new stuff by old acts is getting smaller each year, recent albums by The Who, Macca, Madonna and many others failed to even spent one month in the charts, with streaming being almost 80% of the market now there's no room for any of it, after one week no one cares anymore, no longevity and no mainstream impact.

Mick released 2 songs a couple of years ago and no one noticed, he's very aware of this new reality and his motivation to release new stuff is not there anymore, and we are talking about one of the most prolific songwritters during half century, he released all kind of stuff during 1963-2012, but now the world has changed, Rock music is not even Top 3 among the most consumed music genre (with Latin music being on his way to overtake Rock at 4th place this year or the next one) and with a catalog so big on his shoulders he's resting in his laurels, someone is streaming Paint It Black and Gimme Shelter as we speak, that's enough for him, that's his legacy, he records demos for himself because he likes to write music, but he doesn't want to release stuff that no one cares, it is more than obvious.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 16, 2020 21:18

georgelicks
GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

I was so insistent that we put out a new album, because I thought the Stones were becoming just a nostalgia thing. And they are nostalgia. They're out there selling their catalog and we're playing these old songs because a lot of them people want to hear. But you've got to put out new things. You've got to think for the future. The past is the past. It's gone, thank you very much.

Mick in 2020:

Rolling Stones in 1989:

Rolling Stones in 2020:

I'm so happy we have georgelicks here. He's right like always. Nobody beyond the few dozen or so people on this board could really give a shit whether the Stones put out a new album or not. So if more than 95% of Stones fans in the world don't give a shit whether they put out new music or not, why should the band care either? It'll come out when it comes out now. People can continue to go off about how much the band doesn't care about the new album, blah blah blah. In the end, it's your comments insulting them they really couldn't give two shits less about. thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 16, 2020 21:48

georgelicks

Mick released 2 songs a couple of years ago and no one noticed, he's very aware of this new reality and his motivation to release new stuff is not there anymore, and we are talking about one of the most prolific songwritters during half century, he released all kind of stuff during 1963-2012, but now the world has changed, Rock music is not even Top 3 among the most consumed music genre (with Latin music being on his way to overtake Rock at 4th place this year or the next one) and with a catalog so big on his shoulders he's resting in his laurels, someone is streaming Paint It Black and Gimme Shelter as we speak, that's enough for him, that's his legacy, he records demos for himself because he likes to write music, but he doesn't want to release stuff that no one cares, it is more than obvious.

All the more reason they should have released it as part of a ticket pairing with the NO FILTER concerts. Course, it would have cheapened the numbers, but a
"Rolling Stones- NO FILTER" album would have "sold" 2,290,871 copies already not counting the next leg cool smiley They definitely had enough material ready(ish).. as Charlie let us know by wondering aloud "where the new album was?"

Lot of insightful and no doubt accurate info georgelicks, appreciated.
Not as clear the entire weight of this lies on Mick's shoulders however imo. Releasing those two songs that registered little, could be construed as him not being afraid to release new stuff, going into it knowing it wouldn't get an ego boosting reception, and releasing them anyway.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 16, 2020 22:25

So, why they have told that they're recording and they want make a new studio album?!
Why other Old Rock artists every three. four or five years make a new album out(Ac/Dc, U2, Neil Young, Springsteen, Dylan and so on)?!
Why "Blue & lonesome" a cover album has sold over 2 millions and a half worldwide?!
The truth is that they're all excuses...Too much talking...One record, ten solid tunes...It isn't a matter of state, dammit!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 16, 2020 22:34

Some of these posts act like nobody is making new music these days. t's easier than ever to record and distribute music than ever before.
As noted, B&L did fairly well, and Keith's solo record was appreciated by most listeners.
If they put out a good album, it will get out there, even if its only to a niche audience.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 16, 2020 23:53

georgelicks
NilsHolgersson
georgelicks
Rolling Stones in 1989:

Rolling Stones in 2020:

Yes, B&L was a success by today's standards, the promotion was good and it was released during the Christmas season, still it was a covers album and that kind of stuff works good during the holiday season.

Sadly, the market for new stuff by old acts is getting smaller each year, recent albums by The Who, Macca, Madonna and many others failed to even spent one month in the charts, with streaming being almost 80% of the market now there's no room for any of it, after one week no one cares anymore, no longevity and no mainstream impact.

So why is he talking about the new album for years?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 23:54 by KRiffhard.

Date: February 17, 2020 00:24

Only one five-minute interview by year during the last 4-5 years, it's always the same, I'm writing songs", because part is truth and part is a political answer.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 17, 2020 01:08

It is my belief that the only reason the whole .."No one cares about a new Stones album / probably wouldn't do that well etc. etc." ..

>> is simply because they have been putting it off. When they were coming out with a new album in 2016/17 ...everyone was excited and we never heard all the negativity concerning if anyone cared or not.

That notion and all these posts have occurred to The Stones reluctance ..
from some fans here .. not anything else IMO.

- Ian

Date: February 17, 2020 01:16

georgelicks

Only one five-minute interview by year during the last 4-5 years, it's always the same, I'm writing songs", because part is truth and part is a political answer.

Ok .... but three weeks or so before the tour announcement you said that Universal's probability for a new Stones studio album this year (2020) were very high ..

Kind of like it was happening. How would all that change in three weeks to now
You're saying Micks is just giving us the piss (?) ... (and is Ronnie is lying about this new album ) .. etc.

How would all that change in three weeks? Ya can't have an album almost ready and three weeks later have nothing ...and it was all a ploy ...and their attitude isnt' because ...'nobody cares about a new Stones album ..only us and some die hards' ..

With all due respect .. everyone else and even The Stones themselves have all the excuses in the world for no new studio album .. for cryin out loud don't make any more for them Lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-17 01:19 by IanBillen.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 17, 2020 01:49

wupperstein
This is the truth!

They did years ago.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 17, 2020 01:59

georgelicks
GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

I was so insistent that we put out a new album, because I thought the Stones were becoming just a nostalgia thing. And they are nostalgia. They're out there selling their catalog and we're playing these old songs because a lot of them people want to hear. But you've got to put out new things. You've got to think for the future. The past is the past. It's gone, thank you very much.

Mick in 2020:

Rolling Stones in 1989:

Rolling Stones in 2020:

That's right. No argument from me.

My point was only: I thought the Stones were becoming just a nostalgia thing. But you've got to put out new things. You've got to think for the future. I don't know when Mick changed his mind but he's generally been the one that's Oh I've got loads of songs...

Then there's the other aspect: artists, band and solo, are still writing and recording new records they want to.

Mick and Keith have hot aired about "wanting to" but the results are zero. Not even a single.

A SINGLE.

So instead of hot airing why not just say, Tadahhh! We're done! Here's EVEN MORE HOT ROCKS (or REWOUND or LEAP BACK or SIXTY LICKS or DOINK, or, to stick with the theme, BEEP etc).

They (UMe) could release another 1971-2016 greatest hits comp, remove a couple and add some different ones, in a different running order (they've essentially been the same since JUMP BACK) and it would be bought.

It wouldn't ever make any money but it would be bought. It would be followed or hearted or whatever via Spotify etc.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 17, 2020 02:14

Even more reason to put out a couple hot new songs before this upcoming tour.

Date: February 17, 2020 02:59

IanBillen
georgelicks

Ok .... but three weeks or so before the tour announcement you said that Universal's probability for a new Stones studio album this year (2020) were very high ..

You're saying Micks is just giving us the piss (?) ... (and is Ronnie is lying about this new album ) .. etc.

How would all that change in three weeks? Ya can't have an album almost ready and three weeks later have nothing ...and it was all a ploy ...and their attitude isnt' because ...'nobody cares about a new Stones album ..only us and some die hards' ..

With all due respect .. everyone else and even The Stones themselves have all the excuses in the world for no new studio album .. for cryin out loud don't make any more for them Lol

Good point Ian - in fact this is from Jan 5 of this new year:

georgelicks

The sessions were through all the year(s), the last one in November, I've been told, but never with the full band, Keith did some work on his own in LA and Mick/Ronnie some work in London too, Charlie's parts are already done for a while now.

There are enough songs to fill 2 or 3 albums of new material, more than 30 basic tracks are in the can, but it looks like they only want 10 good ones, a 35-40 minutes solid short album.

Of course, they can release 5 different versions of the album with different bonus tracks on each ones, so the die hards would have to buy the same album 5 times to get all the songs, but the basic 10 songs album is the main goal and they want that to be a very strong one.

The chances for the new album released this year is BIG, according to sources in Universal,

When? Well, if they bundle the album with the upcoming US tour the sales will be good there, over 500k with album/tickets/merch combos, but not so good in the rest of the world, sales are very poor in June/July.

A late 2020 release makes more sense, sales in November/December are much bigger but the impact without a tour in suport is limited (see the Who's latest album, it went 2-90-194 in the US chart) so all the options are open to discussion.

Now less than two months later georgelicks tells us: "The motivation is ZERO, no one cares, let's play the hits live for tourists and die hards and that's it, no market for new music so no new music at all".

I've always relied and trusted in the words of georgelicks, but have to admit this about face has left me a bit confused.
One minute a new album is close to being ready with enough songs to fill two or three albums, and the chances of seeing it this year is BIG.
Now all of the sudden Mick doesn't care at all because the market is poor so why bother at all - instead he just writes for his personal amusement....confused smiley

Date: February 17, 2020 04:16

Hairball
IanBillen
georgelicks

Good point Ian - in fact this is from Jan 5 of this new year:

georgelicks

The sessions were through all the year(s), the last one in November, I've been told, but never with the full band, Keith did some work on his own in LA and Mick/Ronnie some work in London too, Charlie's parts are already done for a while now.

There are enough songs to fill 2 or 3 albums of new material, more than 30 basic tracks are in the can, but it looks like they only want 10 good ones, a 35-40 minutes solid short album.

Of course, they can release 5 different versions of the album with different bonus tracks on each ones, so the die hards would have to buy the same album 5 times to get all the songs, but the basic 10 songs album is the main goal and they want that to be a very strong one.

The chances for the new album released this year is BIG, according to sources in Universal,

When? Well, if they bundle the album with the upcoming US tour the sales will be good there, over 500k with album/tickets/merch combos, but not so good in the rest of the world, sales are very poor in June/July.

A late 2020 release makes more sense, sales in November/December are much bigger but the impact without a tour in suport is limited (see the Who's latest album, it went 2-90-194 in the US chart) so all the options are open to discussion.

Now less than two months later georgelicks tells us: "The motivation is ZERO, no one cares, let's play the hits live for tourists and die hards and that's it, no market for new music so no new music at all".

I've always relied and trusted in the words of georgelicks, but have to admit this about face has left me a bit confused.
One minute a new album is close to being ready with enough songs to fill two or three albums, and the chances of seeing it this year is BIG.
Now all of the sudden Mick doesn't care at all because the market is poor so why bother at all - instead he just writes for his personal amusement....confused smiley

I'm not ganging up or choosing sides like a young school yard idiot ...but I have to strongly agree with what Mr. Hairball just expressed here.

Mr. Georgelicks .. last month you were saying that there was a very strong probability of a new Stones studio album .. >> they have been working on it for years.. >>they have all this material .. >> chances are "BIG" (etc.)

Now your entire attitude and comments conflict all that from your comments just a month ago here.

Now it's nobody cares .. Micks just saying that etc. (almost sounding as if in your opinion there is / never was any solid studio work .. Mick / they aren't working on it regardless of what he said and there is no album plans Lol smh).

Are we (you) simply going by the fact that no official word has come yet
and throwing in this 180 degree turnaround based on only your ...'personal opinion'... ?

Again .. Don't take me wrong here ..I'm not throwing you under the bus or ganging up ..but I must ask If it is your personal opinion ...why the sudden total change? / What happened?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-17 04:24 by IanBillen.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 17, 2020 05:08

Repeat after me: No one knows anything!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2020 05:27

YEP!!! …. no one knows anything …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: February 17, 2020 05:36

Date: February 17, 2020 05:57

Now all of the sudden Mick doesn't care at all because the market is poor so why bother at all - instead he just writes for his personal amusement....

You don't get it: one thing is the album close to be ready and other thing is the lack of motivation to release new stuff.

YES an album will be released and YES the chances are bigger this year than the previuos one, but the new album is not the priority now and it won't be in two months, six months...whatever is.

Every time a new tour pops up, all work on the studio is postponed, it's been that way during many years, that's a fact.

The new album is the last thing on their minds, after almost 60 years in the industry they could care less if the new album is ready in 2017, 2020 or 2022, they don't need an album to tour behind it.

If the band is not happy with the material so far, nothing will be released, just like the last 4 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-17 05:59 by georgelicks.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 17, 2020 06:30

It was sounding like we might see a new release in November. This had me thinking
maybe they would force some sales by including the album in the ticket price for
the upcoming Summer tour. However since this obviously didn’t happen and a expanded version of GHS is on the horizon than I think the new album will probably not happen this year. That is unless they tour this fall but I think the days
of more than one tour per year are over.

Date: February 17, 2020 06:54

double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-17 07:12 by Hairball.

Date: February 17, 2020 07:11

georgelicks
Now all of the sudden Mick doesn't care at all because the market is poor so why bother at all - instead he just writes for his personal amusement....

You don't get it: one thing is the album close to be ready and other thing is the lack of motivation to release new stuff.

YES an album will be released and YES the chances are bigger this year than the previuos one, but the new album is not the priority now and it won't be in two months, six months...whatever is.

Every time a new tour pops up, all work on the studio is postponed, it's been that way during many years, that's a fact.

The new album is the last thing on their minds, after almost 60 years in the industry they could care less if the new album is ready in 2017, 2020 or 2022, they don't need an album to tour behind it.

If the band is not happy with the material so far, nothing will be released, just like the last 4 years.

No, I think I do get it, but just trying to align several different theories that have been put out there in the last couple of months.

There's a difference between "If the band is not happy with the material so far, nothing will be released". VS "The motivation is ZERO, no one cares, let's play the hits live for tourists and die hards and that's it, no market for new music so no new music at all"

The fact that they're unhappy with the material shows they actually do care - if they didn't care they would have released it long ago. But now of course they'll be busy with the upcoming tour, the GHS reissue, and then family/vacation time, so the album is once again the last thing on their mind, but that doesn't mean they don't care or there's ZERO motivation - it means they have other priorities, and right now the new album isn't it...again. Not sure where this new theory about a poor market being a deterrent and that Mick just writes for personal amusement fits in to all this. As you said a couple of weeks ago "Something strange is happening with the new stuff, Mick is not very happy with the material, that's sure, he's not upbeat at all..." so who really knows what the delay is or why they're sitting on three albums worth of new material. Maybe he suddenly had an epiphany after all these years that the market sucks and there's no use in even trying any more....might as well just throw in the towel and write little ditty's for himself...

I think MelBelli is closer to th truth than anything when he says "Repeat after me: No one knows anything", and all the speculation and various opinions are simply just that - speculation and opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-17 07:20 by Hairball.

Date: February 17, 2020 07:13

georgelicks

Saying that nobody cares about a new studio album and that Mick is only saying he is working on new songs because it sounds good .. and saying they are not happy with the material yet and that is on the back burner for another couple months are two different things all together.

Do you know for a fact Mick is not writing or working on songs? Do you live with him .. No. None of us do.

Im saying you are giving us two perspectives at the same time. As well .. simply
saying they could care less about or the album is the last thing on their minds
is not concrete unless you personally know them, or Don Was ..or Jane Rose and have you spoke to them about it? Look... it could still be being worked up / worked on in one way or another as we speak. As Mel Belli said .. How do we know?

Ill be the very first (and I have been all along) to say they have been lazy and at times neglectful of studio work however with that said and naturally with all due respect I think you are downplaying the album and their care of it
or the priority of it for them right now. I can guarantee it isn't last.. it may be second due to the upcoming tour but I bet its at least #2 for the time being.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-17 07:15 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...433434435436437438439440441442443...LastNext
Current Page: 438 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home