Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...432433434435436437438439440441442...LastNext
Current Page: 437 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 15, 2020 15:39

Due to work, wife, kids and life I rarely get to listen to a full album on vinyl anymore. So I listened to CH on vinyl this past week. Still stand by my original analysis. Best overall Stones related material since Tattoo You. So but Wandering Spirit comes in a close second. I also said to my good friend when CH was released that if the next Stones album was 1/2 as good I’d be happy.

New album? Boy I want it more than another tour. Hopefully they’re going to surprise us but if it truly is shit then they should just come out and say “ we’ve been working on tracks for re-issues only” and then we could all chill out. LOL

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 15, 2020 17:57

Mick in 1989:

I was so insistent that we put out a new album, because I thought the Stones were becoming just a nostalgia thing. And they are nostalgia. They're out there selling their catalog and we're playing these old songs because a lot of them people want to hear. But you've got to put out new things. You've got to think for the future. The past is the past. It's gone, thank you very much.

Mick in 2020:

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 15, 2020 18:46

GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

I was so insistent that we put out a new album, because I thought the Stones were becoming just a nostalgia thing. And they are nostalgia. They're out there selling their catalog and we're playing these old songs because a lot of them people want to hear. But you've got to put out new things. You've got to think for the future. The past is the past. It's gone, thank you very much.

Mick in 2020:

Right.

It’s not that he’s changing his tune, or arguing the opposite.

It’s that he says absolutely nothing.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 15, 2020 19:13

Maybe the Stones could do a duet album with contemporary artists..

01 - Start Me Up (with Ed Sheeran)
02 - Paint It Black (with Billie Eilish)
03 - Gimme Shelter (with Post Malone)
04 - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with The Weeknd)
05 - Wild Horses (with Taylor Swift)
06 - Sympathy for the Devil (with Eminem)
07 - Beast of Burden (with Drake)
08 - Angie (with Justin Bieber)
09 - Brown Sugar (with Khalid)
10 - Miss You (with Lil Nas X)

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 15, 2020 19:33

keithsman
Nikkei
If they're still capable of deceiving you, that's on you. This contempt thing is a chuckle. Was already wondering when Mick's ineptitude would come into it, but you never disappoint

I'm consistent, and over time my thoughts usually turn out right.
Crosseyed Heart was a blow to Mick's ego, it was shockingly good and Mick is having trouble coming to terms with the fact that Keith can deliver great music this late in the game, Mick is struggling creatively, that's evident to all but a few on here. 15 years with nothing to shout about, It happens to musicians at Mick's age, writers block is one word for it, but it's not even that, he just can't make great music anymore period. I'm not picking on him, it's just a fact. Hope the new album proves me wrong though.
What i don't understand is why don't Mick and Keith make an album up from previously unfinished tracks if they have hit a wall. There must be enough good material left that didn't make it on various albums to make a fantastic double album of originals. That's what Tattoo You was, unfinished tracks from up to a decade before.

I agree with posters above, Crosseyed Heart gives us hope, but i feel Keith efforts have been derailed for 6 years now, time to ditch this album and Keith go it alone again, this album is nothing more than a sinking ship at this stage, Keith and Ronnie need to bailout.

There did that disappoint. winking smiley

I wonder how you could not break out in laughter after reading your own lines!

A quick reality check: Personal preferences aside, neither Mick's single nor Crosseyed Heart created much stir outside their respective fan circles and are largely forgotten by now.

The only scenario I could imagine where CH could possibly be a blow to Mick's ego would be that CH was indeed the masterpiece you fabled (instead of being just nice and quite enjoyable imo), as such included a handful of Gimme Shelter-calibre tracks and outsold everything the Stones released in decades. That obviously happed in your wildest dreams!

But, yeah, the imagination of Mick sleepless, sitting there night and day listening to Crosseyed Heart again and again and losing his self-confidence and finally his mind over the thought how Keith could have come up with a masterpiece like that, is all to funny, I give you that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 15, 2020 19:43

Witness
Hairball
mpj200
No. They just haven’t been happy with all the songs. Some of them have already been release by Mick solo as Keith didn’t like them. Ronnie is just being honest.

keithsman
Hairball
"as you know, the Stones never make an album overnight"

And they've never made one that has taken 15 years either!

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE SEES IT. 15 years god damn it, the Stones do 15 shows a year, just excuse after excuse.

This is just the usual public relations BS from Ronnie.

If referring to GettaGrip/England Lost, seems it was more than Keith who didn't like them.
Beyond the few Stones fans on here who have proclaimed to have liked one (or both), you can probably count the rest of the people in the world who liked them on one hand.
Those tunes have simply disappeared off the face of the earth as far as staying power, so you gotta think Keith was right in not wanting anything to do with them.

As Shott said above, Crosseyed Heart is great reason for hope (at least it was), as was the collaborative team effort on the blues covers album, but those are quickly growing old and any momentum is probably already lost.
It's beyond any explanation or justification of why the Stones haven't released a new album of originals in nearly 15 years - seems clear they really don't give a crap about it. They hint and bluff during interviews, but in reality it's probably the last thing on their minds. Meanwhile, a new tour is around the corner and tickets are selling great - why would they give a crap about releasing new material when practically nobody cares whether they do or they dont? Their days of being honest to goodness creative artists are long gone - now they're simply actors reenacting the glory days by playing tunes from days of yore. Still fun to watch and a thrill to expereince, but a far cry from what they once were.

For there to be someone of the type present here, I confirm that I was one to like both "Gotta Get a Grip" / "England Lost" and, besides, I was quite bored by CROSSEYED HEART.

So what gives me hope and what not, is quite opposite to many other posters.

In addition, I am one of those, who do not so much want to see them live play a largely unchanged setlist and are much more interested in obtaining a studio album of unknown material (preferably quite new). The realization of such an album and the live playing of some songs therefrom, is really what would make me strongly wish to see them in concert anew.

Regarding your last point, for the most part I think many/most here would agree that a new album would make a tour more exciting. But facts are facts - they don't release new material, yet they continue to play live. And they're still very good despite the old setlists. And even when they do release new material, they largely ignore it when playing live. Your wish for the realization of a new album "of unknown material (preferably quite new)" and the hope they would play more than one or two songs from it is sadly not a reality. But for the sake of dreaming, if it were up to me they'd release a new album of 90% "new" original material and a couple of cover tunes, and play the whole damn thing from start to finish in the first set. The second set would be made up of the classic warhorses and a couple "rarities". But hello....reality is calling and it's time to wake up. The Stones are about to embark on another tour without new material - catch them LIVE while you can. Hoping and wishing for a new album of originals for 15 years and counting hasn't helped them finish anything, so might as well enjoy whatever they have left to offer - nothing new. Meanwhile Goats Head Soup is getting the special treatment, and to echo what georgelicks said: there's not much of a chance for a new album while that's all happening. On with the show, it's only rock'n'roll, and as old and stagnant as the setlists are, I somehow still like it.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 15, 2020 19:48

NilsHolgersson

And then just put the pistol in your mouth and pull the trigger.

Death before dishonor or something like that

jb

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 15, 2020 19:51

GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

Mick in 2020:

The man in clearly in denial.

Date: February 15, 2020 19:52

NilsHolgersson

If it were up to Mick, they'd probably already be on volumes III and IV of these fancy duets.
I mean who wouldn't want to hear Miley Cyrus barfing out the lyrics to It's Only Rock n Roll alongside Mick?

Date: February 15, 2020 21:23

keithsman
GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

Mick in 2020:

The small detail that obviously escaped your attention is that in 1989, the Stones had a future while in 2020, there's not much future for the band left.

But who knows, maybe they should follow people like you who firmly believe that Mick, like Brian in 1969, is the stumbling block for the band, fire Mick and start all over fresh with a Jagger lookalike (quite a few out there, but soundalikes not that much I'm afraid) into a new phase of their career for decades to come.

Date: February 15, 2020 21:37

retired_dog
keithsman
GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

Mick in 2020:

The small detail that obviously escaped your attention is that in 1989, the Stones had a future while in 2020, there's not much future for the band left.

But who knows, maybe they should follow people like you who firmly believe that Mick, like Brian in 1969, is the stumbling block for the band, fire Mick and start all over fresh with a Jagger lookalike (quite a few out there, but soundalikes not that much I'm afraid) into a new phase of their career for decades to come.

What are you going on about.
I really don't care what you think, I just post and move on, post and move on.
If your view differs to mine, big deal, i don't spend the rest of the day putting words into your mouth. When have i ever said replace Mick. ???
I said after 6 years of trying to complete an album, give it up boys, why keep deceiving the fans with, oh the albums coming, it's all going well, when clearly it's not. I'm just saying i would rather Keith Mick and Ronnie go into a studio and make some music with other musicians , please just give it up, it's embarrassing to keep lying about the progress of an album.

I mean Mick says his still writing new songs, has he forgot he already said that 5 years ago. Does he have dementia.

Date: February 15, 2020 22:42

keithsman
retired_dog
keithsman
GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

Mick in 2020:

If your view differs to mine, big deal, i don't spend the rest of the day putting words into your mouth. When have i ever said replace Mick. ???
I said after 6 years of trying to complete an album, give it up boys, why keep deceiving the fans with, oh the albums coming, it's all going well, when clearly it's not. I'm just saying i would rather Keith Mick and Ronnie go into a studio and make some music with other musicians , please just give it up, it's embarrassing to keep lying about the progress of an album.

I mean Mick says his still writing new songs, has he forgot he already said that 5 years ago. Does he have dementia.

And Keith's handful of "dynamite riffs" he was talking about years ago? Also a case of dementia?

I mean, is it really so difficult to see the possibility that they're doing this not because they have to, but to have something ready for the right occasion, be it their 60th Anniversary or their final farewell as an existing band - instead of accusing them of downright lying to their fans?

And, just for the record: This is a public board, and as such, posts are open for discussion. If you find that strange or even embarrassing, I'd strongly advise you to finish your posts with a disclaimer like this:

"Warning! This is a public proclamation and as such not open for any discussion except from applause by fellow Mick bashers."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-15 23:06 by retired_dog.

Date: February 16, 2020 00:18

Okay tired dog that's enough, calm down mate, it's only rock and roll, perhaps we are taking all this a bit too seriously. Have a good weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 00:20 by keithsman.

Date: February 16, 2020 00:36

retired_dog
keithsman
Nikkei
If they're still capable of deceiving you, that's on you. This contempt thing is a chuckle. Was already wondering when Mick's ineptitude would come into it, but you never disappoint

Crosseyed Heart was a blow to Mick's ego, it was shockingly good and Mick is having trouble coming to terms with the fact that Keith can deliver great music this late in the game, Mick is struggling creatively, that's evident to all but a few on here. 15 years with nothing to shout about, It happens to musicians at Mick's age, writers block is one word for it, but it's not even that, he just can't make great music anymore period. I'm not picking on him, it's just a fact. Hope the new album proves me wrong though.
What i don't understand is why don't Mick and Keith make an album up from previously unfinished tracks if they have hit a wall. There must be enough good material left that didn't make it on various albums to make a fantastic double album of originals. That's what Tattoo You was, unfinished tracks from up to a decade before.

I agree with posters above, Crosseyed Heart gives us hope, but i feel Keith efforts have been derailed for 6 years now, time to ditch this album and Keith go it alone again, this album is nothing more than a sinking ship at this stage, Keith and Ronnie need to bailout.

A quick reality check: Personal preferences aside, neither Mick's single nor Crosseyed Heart created much stir outside their respective fan circles and are largely forgotten by now.

You're right.

However.

Seeing that the I have a solo album game is over (and we know Keith did CH just because), if Mick bothered to listen to CH, which Keith recorded before and while the Stones were in the midst of their 15 shows a year "busy touring" working hibernation schedule, and is pretty good considering the time, then the one question is:

What the hell is taking so long for a new Stones album?

Date: February 16, 2020 00:38

retired_dog
keithsman
GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

Mick in 2020:

That has zero relevance. ZERO.

Date: February 16, 2020 01:09

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
keithsman
Nikkei

You're right.

However.

Seeing that the I have a solo album game is over (and we know Keith did CH just because), if Mick bothered to listen to CH, which Keith recorded before and while the Stones were in the midst of their 15 shows a year "busy touring" working hibernation schedule, and is pretty good considering the time, then the one question is:

What the hell is taking so long for a new Stones album?

Well exactly, it's insulting our intelligence, you could say the Stones have completely lost the plot.
Retiredog thinks they are saving it for something, 2022 60th anniversary, but that's a bit unlikely, time most definitely isn't on their side.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 16, 2020 01:16

retired_dog
keithsman
retired_dog
keithsman
GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

Mick in 2020:

And Keith's handful of "dynamite riffs" he was talking about years ago? Also a case of dementia?

I mean, is it really so difficult to see the possibility that they're doing this not because they have to, but to have something ready for the right occasion, be it their 60th Anniversary or their final farewell as an existing band - instead of accusing them of downright lying to their fans?

And, just for the record: This is a public board, and as such, posts are open for discussion. If you find that strange or even embarrassing, I'd strongly advise you to finish your posts with a disclaimer like this:

"Warning! This is a public proclamation and as such not open for any discussion except from applause by fellow Mick bashers."

Did he say 'writing' or 'working on'?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 16, 2020 01:24

Who releases a new album because of an anniversary? No.. you release a career retrospective compilation album on an occasion like that. Sixty Licks.. The Rolling Stones 1962-2022.. with a brand new version of Satisfaction (featuring Miley Cyrus)

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 16, 2020 01:24

keithsman

Well exactly, it's insulting our intelligence, you could say the Stones have completely lost the plot.
Retiredog thinks they are saving it for something, 2022 60th anniversary, but that's a bit unlikely, time most definitely isn't on their side.

That is so very darn likely that you just don't wanna see it. Time is not a factor when they are deliberately saving it or do you expect the tapes to spoil?

Date: February 16, 2020 01:43

IANBILLEN.

Not sure if working on or writing makes an awful lot of difference in the context of working towards completion , he didn't say he was working towards the final touches, i got the impression things were not at the finalising or finishing stage . Working on might have meant Goats Head Soup.

Going back a couple years now, Ronnie and Charlie were in an interview together and they had this smirk on their faces when Charlie goes to Ronnie what happened to the new album. It was clear from the body language all was not good in the studio between the glimmers.

Date: February 16, 2020 01:57

Nikkei
keithsman

That is so very darn likely that you just don't wanna see it. Time is not a factor when they are deliberately saving it or do you expect the tapes to spoil?

Oh i see now, it all makes sence, how stupid of me, when they started making the album in 2014 it was pencilled in for the 60th anniversary in 2022. Brilliant Nikkie, you're a genius.
They knew it would take 8 years to complete so better start writing in 2014, tapes don't spoil.

Date: February 16, 2020 02:05

keithsman
Nikkei
keithsman

Oh i see now, it all makes sence, how stupid of me, when they started making the album in 2014 it was pencilled in for the 60th anniversary in 2022. Brilliant Nikkie, you're a genius.
They knew it would take 8 years to complete so better start writing in 2014, tapes don't spoil.

It will come out no sooner than a day where it's abundantly clear that further work on it can't continue for uhm physical reasons. Let it be known that I will celebrate any compliment I can get.

Date: February 16, 2020 02:16

Nikkei
keithsman
Nikkei
keithsman

It will come out no sooner than a day where it's abundantly clear that further work on it can't continue for uhm physical reasons. Let it be known that I will celebrate any compliment I can get.

Haha i like your style Nikkei , take any compliment you can get.
If they're fit enough to tour they're fit enough to record.

Date: February 16, 2020 02:19

keithsman
Nikkei
keithsman
Nikkei
keithsman

Haha i like your style Nikkei , take any compliment you can get.
If they're fit enough to tour they're fit enough to record.

Yeah and I do believe they did record. Earlier someone came up with the nice phrase "they're hesitant to close the door on their recording history" It's perfectly natural

Date: February 16, 2020 03:39

keithsman
Nikkei
keithsman

In all friendliness, please consider that plans can change for reasons we simply don't know. I mean, they recorded the Rock'n'Roll Circus in 1968, were not happy with their own performance, were planning a re-shoot in Rome that never happened and finally after 28 years in 1996 the original shoot was released, to give you a rather crass example. And let's not forget that in 2016 a new album was actually released, just not of original material.

While a new album most likely may not have started as a 60th Anniversary project in 2014, it may very well be that it finally turns out this way.

Date: February 16, 2020 03:45

Hopefully they don't hold out with it until the 70th anniversary....eye popping smiley

Date: February 16, 2020 05:23

Hairball
Hopefully they don't hold out with it until the 70th anniversary....eye popping smiley

See Mr. Hairball all along I was like .. 'ehhh no new album gonna happen before or in this tour .. only if we are lucky' .. and you were like .. 'No .. Im pretty darn sure they will put one out before their next tour .. especially if they tour the states again'.. .. ..

*As well I also have been saying that .. I was holding out hope for a Blue and Lonesome part two in the meantime.

Isn't this how it went? Or am I ..corn-fused?

eye rolling smiley ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 05:24 by IanBillen.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 16, 2020 05:35

GasLightStreet
Mick in 1989:

Mick in 2020:

Rolling Stones in 1989:

Steel Wheels was a multi-platinum album, it spent 4 months in the Top 10, 7 months in the Top 50 and it spawned a Top 5 hit and a Top 25 hit. Also the band was in their mid 40's back then.

Rolling Stones in 2020:

The band is in their mid-late 70's, the last studio album was released 15 years ago and barely went gold, it lasted 3 weeks in the Top 40 and no single charted inside the Hot 100.

Album sales are down over 75% since 2005 and almost no album reaches Gold anymore, a contemporary act as THE WHO released a new studio album two months ago, it went 2-90-194-out of the chart in less than a month.

The motivation is ZERO, no one cares, let's play the hits live for tourists and die hards and that's it, no market for new music so no new music at all.

Date: February 16, 2020 05:44

IanBillen
Hairball

See Mr. Hairball all along I was like .. 'ehhh no new album gonna happen before or in this tour .. only if we are lucky' .. and you were like .. 'No .. Im pretty darn sure they will put one out before their next tour .. especially if they tour the states again'.. .. ..

*As well I also have been saying that .. I was holding out hope for a Blue and Lonesome part two in the meantime.

Lol you got it all backwards Ian, and you know it!

At best, was hoping for a single to coincide with last tour, but clearly that never happened.

So now that we're seemingly back to square one, maybe you'll warm to the idea of another covers album after all - better than waiting until 2050.

Oh wait, you're sure they'll have a new album this year....lol....grinning smiley

Date: February 16, 2020 05:54

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

Lol you got it all backwards Ian, and you know it!

At best, was hoping for a single to coincide with last tour, but clearly that never happened.

So now that we're seemingly back to square one, maybe you'll warm to the idea of another covers album after all - better than waiting until 2050.

Oh wait, you're sure they'll have a new album this year....lol....grinning smiley

In reference to the bold print .. Ah hell ... I gave it a good shot.. (what did I have to lose?) yawning smiley

I think a new album was 100% the plan .. not just 'on plans' ...or 'hopefully'.

I truly think ...according to Ronnie (and Georgelicks) ..their intent was to
definitely put it out this year. Last year was hopefully. 2018 ..was possibly ... 2017 was iffy.

So anyway .. yes .. I truly thought they were all in and put focus on finishing and releasing the album first (so did ? Universal .. so Did Gerogelicks .. Ronnie said so as well). Now something happened as was stated.. are they not yet satisfied with it? Is it being pushed back until after the tour?

Is it still a possibility this year? With the GHS reissue it would be tough to squeeze that in? .. Would it even make sense? Wouldn't much more sense be made in putting out the new studio album in Spring or summer ...to coincide with the tour and then maybe in Feb / Mar of 2021 ...put out the GHS reissue? Lets face it .. they have had PLENNNNNNNTY of time to friggin work on it. They could of easily finished it up in Jan-Feb- (or even March if needed) you'd think ... and eassssily had time for a month or two complete break before any rehearsals for the tour ...eaaaasily you'd think? What have they done since their last tour ended group wise ... Sept / Oct / Nov / Dec / Jan ...and now into February / March / April .... DID they hot the studio? Months and months go by and we hear nothing about studio work. Seriously .. what is the problem and why no work on it ..or has their been??

We all are STILL wondering ... even MORE SO now .. what happened ... whats going on with the new stuff / this new album?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 06:03 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...432433434435436437438439440441442...LastNext
Current Page: 437 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home