Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...425426427428429430431432433434435...LastNext
Current Page: 430 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 3, 2020 19:03

I hope there's not another tour without a new album.. everybody's heard Satisfaction and Brown Sugar by now

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 3, 2020 23:14

No new album sad smiley

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 3, 2020 23:15

KRiffhard
No new album sad smiley
We don't know that yet!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 4, 2020 02:00

GetYerAngie
I mean it took James Joyce seven years to finish Ulysses - and 17 years to finnish Finnegans Wake. I do not hope that we have to wait another 11 years though...

So the Stones are on their way to the Ulysses range of quality! smiling smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Next question: My edition of Ulysses has 580 pages (in small print) - how would that translate to CDs? Triple Album, I'd say ... grinning smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 4, 2020 03:14

Let’s play the same tunes again boys. Pass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-04 03:40 by black n blue.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 4, 2020 03:27

NilsHolgersson
I hope there's not another tour without a new album.. everybody's heard Satisfaction and Brown Sugar by now

Here is your newest release! It has ONLY 1 of the 2 you mentioned!

Date: February 4, 2020 03:29

CJFP
KRiffhard
No new album sad smiley
We don't know that yet!

I viewed 2020 album releases recently and, geeeeee golly, The Rolling Stones are not anywhere.

So... we do know that yet still.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 4, 2020 06:00

colonial
colonial
1,000,000 Views - Unprecedented

This could end up been The Rolling Stones "Number 1 Album" thread of all time 1,111,111

more views than album sales, likely!

Date: February 4, 2020 07:22

Presently the thread has almost 1,012,000 views, based on that, 1,111,111 views is maybe a matter of about two more months. It seems quite likely to me that the album will not be released by the end of March or so (but what do I know).

This thread is runnning for a little more than 3 years (since Dec 2016) with posters and viewers from more or less all around the world. So the relevant comparison would be with worldwide sales over more than three years. Maybe I'm overoptimistic but I would guess that a million sales worldwide over three years can be done. What might be more difficult to determine is how to calculate streams or downloads of individual songs but not the whole album. Also, with B2B and ABB the Stones took measures to boost the sales a little (e.g. selling at a reduced price over here) and they will certainly think of something to boost the sales of the new one a little, too.

Date: February 4, 2020 08:47

They are teasing with old song titles.. no hints of a new album in sight..

Date: February 4, 2020 09:03

NilsHolgersson

6 years of various sessions. Maybe now they need other years to choose 10 songs from the pile of stuff they recorded. It’s so hard for a band to record new songs eye rolling smiley In the meantime, let’s enjoy the new tour and listen to the millionth live version of SMU, MY and BS.

Date: February 4, 2020 09:19

NilsHolgersson

Are they? Was there some statement where prospective song titles were made known? I can't remember this. Mick posted a few teasers but left it up to us to think these might be teasers of new songs. He himself didn't say so. The closest thing to titles of new songs was this one session set list in Ronnie's book. Whether these were final titles or working titles is anybody's guess.

The hints we get are things they say in interviews, the latest was Ronnie's puzzle, not solong ago. What exactly he meant (or was trying to cover up) is again up to us to guess. To me it sounded like still more work to be done than just choosing 10 (or whatever number) of songs and getting them in the right order. But again: what do I know.

Considering the teasers for the next tour we can only hope that not yet another tour will get in the way and that they're done by the time the tour kicks off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-04 09:25 by doitywoik.

Date: February 4, 2020 11:07

doitywoik
NilsHolgersson

Are they? Was there some statement where prospective song titles were made known? I can't remember this.

Actually I meant the teasers for the new tour.. old song titles on Billboards

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 4, 2020 13:39

I think they're giving us the setlist.

Date: February 4, 2020 13:40

treaclefingers
colonial
colonial

This could end up been The Rolling Stones "Number 1 Album" thread of all time 1,111,111

If we had a count by IP address, I suspect the number would be far less impressive.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 4, 2020 15:22

Nearly everyone who responded totally missed the point I was TRYING to make in my comment from a few days back seizing upon just one part of one sentence I wrote - viz. any new album will not sell in large quantities- and used it to to dismiss my overall argument. In fact I also went on to say about the inevitable critical mauling a new studio album would most likely get, AND, in addition, that they may no longer feel they have the time to complete a new album given their age. Especially as they seem to want to retain their energy for touring.

If my point was poorly made I apologise to those I seem to have annoyed. Personally I don't care if any new album sells in large quantities or not. Like many here I would LOVE them to make one last album - although I don't think they will. However if I'm wrong and they DO, I will certainly buy it. Just like I have bought pretty-much everything they have ever officially produced, and rather a lot that is not official at all

In commenting on potential sales, or the lack of them, I was merely pointing out one of the many obstacles that stand in the way of a new studio album. The band are one vast corporation now - the decision about producing anything new will not rest with the four members alone. There will be accountants, financial experts, business analysts, managers, strategists, and a whole army of other non-musical people all involved. They will be pointing out the potential costs likely to be incurred and recommending caution. That in itself won't stop a new album, but it is another obstacle to overcome for men in the twilight of their years.

A bigger obstacle I think is the concern the band might feel about producing something that would be considered sub-standard. Those of us here, who are major fans of the band, are likely to be understanding and sympathetic to their efforts. But we are a tiny proportion of their wider fan base, who, like it or not, will want the band to produce something full of warhorse-type clones. That is if the wider fan-base have any interest at all. I find it heartbreaking, at concert after concert, to see seats emptying each time the band try out something different or not-so-well known. Not to mention those with loud voices who spend all gig yelling for Brown Sugar, Start Me Up or Satisfaction and jeer everything else. I can imagine Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie not wanting to go out with a whimper. Producing something that is a long way short of the standard they set for themselves. Or worse still, embarrassing themselves. I honestly believe they now think it is unlikely they will produce anything better than Blue & Lonesome as their swan-song.

Many good people here refer consistently to the flow of statements, hints, suggestions and teasing comments from the band themselves, and others in the inner circle, about them wanting to produce another album. And indeed having some material already available that they need to more work on. However only a small proportion of these statement are proactively offered by the band. The vast majority are responses to the endless questions they are asked about new material. Like true professionals they don't want to say ' No. We will not make another album' They play for time. They make vague statements about working on stuff. They may even believe with all their hearts they WILL make another album. But at their age, a year is a long time. Two or three years is half-a-lifetime. The energy and creativity they had in 2013-2016 will have diminished considerably in the time since. And because they are a band they cannot go away individually and put something together remotely. Mick can produce stuff on his own, and get his artistic rocks off in that way. Keith similarly. Ronnie has just done so with his Chuck Berry set. And Charlie does his guest spots with various jazz combos. But doing something together in the studio introduces a whole extra layer of organisation, timetabling, scheduling and demand.

For me, The Stones have come to a realisation, or semi-realisation, that another album is a step too far now. The can still go out on tour and play together. That seems to be their focus now. Most likely they want to prioritise on the 60 year anniversary, conserve their energy for that, and just maybe produce a new single, or 3-4 track mini-album in celebration of it, perhaps including a few live versions of numbers they have not played on stage before. Maybe even tracks taken from their very first album.

Now that really would be something!

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 4, 2020 15:35

As with the rumored recording session last December, if there is a new album in the offing, no one outside of the Gang of Four+Was has heard a peep about it.

Date: February 4, 2020 15:39

How's this for a suggestion for a couple of new albums:

ENGLAND'S OLDEST HIT MAKERS (first album re-recorded)
The Rolling Stones, Now and Again!

Date: February 4, 2020 15:43

Rocky Dijon
treaclefingers
colonial
colonial

If we had a count by IP address, I suspect the number would be far less impressive.

Are you suggesting that it's just a massive conspiracy and BV just sits in his various hotel rooms, refreshing his screen?

Date: February 4, 2020 15:51

GerardHennessy

There will be accountants, financial experts, business analysts, managers, strategists, and a whole army of other non-musical people all involved. They will be pointing out the potential costs likely to be incurred and recommending caution. That in itself won't stop a new album, but it is another obstacle to overcome for men in the twilight of their years.

I highly doubt that the accountants cautioning about the 'cost' of a new album has anything to do with it. The money from one tour date would more than cover the recording of any album.

Either they really don't have anything worth recording and releasing, or, and I think this is likelier, they can't agree on the material as there is a high degree of internal pressure to release an album that is a worthy wrap to their storied career.

Easier to just 'do nothing' than come to a consensus.

Date: February 4, 2020 16:14

HopeYouGuessMyName
How's this for a suggestion for a couple of new albums:

ENGLAND'S OLDEST HIT MAKERS (first album re-recorded)
The Rolling Stones, Now and Again!

Yes indeed. Or what about
The Rolling Stones - Then!
Decembers Pensioners, and Everybody's
Out of our Beds

Date: February 4, 2020 16:19

treaclefingers
GerardHennessy

There will be accountants, financial experts, business analysts, managers, strategists, and a whole army of other non-musical people all involved. They will be pointing out the potential costs likely to be incurred and recommending caution. That in itself won't stop a new album, but it is another obstacle to overcome for men in the twilight of their years.

I highly doubt that the accountants cautioning about the 'cost' of a new album has anything to do with it. The money from one tour date would more than cover the recording of any album.

Either they really don't have anything worth recording and releasing, or, and I think this is likelier, they can't agree on the material as there is a high degree of internal pressure to release an album that is a worthy wrap to their storied career.

Couldn't agree more with your main point. Easier to do nothing. I do still think the money people and the business heads might be more of an obstacle than you do. Money people block everything they don't fully understand. And I have yet to meet a money-person who really understands music. But, hey, we are both Stones fans and we're all on the same side here.

Date: February 4, 2020 16:33

NilsHolgersson
doitywoik
NilsHolgersson

Are they? Was there some statement where prospective song titles were made known? I can't remember this.

Somehow doitywoik did not understand what you meant, which is bizarre considering that what you say without saying it directly is something current.

Date: February 4, 2020 16:41

GerardHennessy
Nearly everyone who responded totally missed the point I was TRYING to make in my comment from a few days back seizing upon just one part of one sentence I wrote - viz. any new album will not sell in large quantities- and used it to to dismiss my overall argument. In fact I also went on to say about the inevitable critical mauling a new studio album would most likely get, AND, in addition, that they may no longer feel they have the time to complete a new album given their age. Especially as they seem to want to retain their energy for touring.

If my point was poorly made I apologise to those I seem to have annoyed. Personally I don't care if any new album sells in large quantities or not. Like many here I would LOVE them to make one last album - although I don't think they will. However if I'm wrong and they DO, I will certainly buy it. Just like I have bought pretty-much everything they have ever officially produced, and rather a lot that is not official at all

In commenting on potential sales, or the lack of them, I was merely pointing out one of the many obstacles that stand in the way of a new studio album. The band are one vast corporation now - the decision about producing anything new will not rest with the four members alone. There will be accountants, financial experts, business analysts, managers, strategists, and a whole army of other non-musical people all involved. They will be pointing out the potential costs likely to be incurred and recommending caution. That in itself won't stop a new album, but it is another obstacle to overcome for men in the twilight of their years.

A bigger obstacle I think is the concern the band might feel about producing something that would be considered sub-standard. Those of us here, who are major fans of the band, are likely to be understanding and sympathetic to their efforts. But we are a tiny proportion of their wider fan base, who, like it or not, will want the band to produce something full of warhorse-type clones. That is if the wider fan-base have any interest at all. I find it heartbreaking, at concert after concert, to see seats emptying each time the band try out something different or not-so-well known. Not to mention those with loud voices who spend all gig yelling for Brown Sugar, Start Me Up or Satisfaction and jeer everything else. I can imagine Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie not wanting to go out with a whimper. Producing something that is a long way short of the standard they set for themselves. Or worse still, embarrassing themselves. I honestly believe they now think it is unlikely they will produce anything better than Blue & Lonesome as their swan-song.

Many good people here refer consistently to the flow of statements, hints, suggestions and teasing comments from the band themselves, and others in the inner circle, about them wanting to produce another album. And indeed having some material already available that they need to more work on. However only a small proportion of these statement are proactively offered by the band. The vast majority are responses to the endless questions they are asked about new material. Like true professionals they don't want to say ' No. We will not make another album' They play for time. They make vague statements about working on stuff. They may even believe with all their hearts they WILL make another album. But at their age, a year is a long time. Two or three years is half-a-lifetime. The energy and creativity they had in 2013-2016 will have diminished considerably in the time since. And because they are a band they cannot go away individually and put something together remotely. Mick can produce stuff on his own, and get his artistic rocks off in that way. Keith similarly. Ronnie has just done so with his Chuck Berry set. And Charlie does his guest spots with various jazz combos. But doing something together in the studio introduces a whole extra layer of organisation, timetabling, scheduling and demand.

For me, The Stones have come to a realisation, or semi-realisation, that another album is a step too far now. The can still go out on tour and play together. That seems to be their focus now. Most likely they want to prioritise on the 60 year anniversary, conserve their energy for that, and just maybe produce a new single, or 3-4 track mini-album in celebration of it, perhaps including a few live versions of numbers they have not played on stage before. Maybe even tracks taken from their very first album.

Now that really would be something!

It's never bothered them before. In fact, they've done more LPs of that standard than any other. So no big. If it truly mattered then the previous, oh, back to 1986 albums would

1. not've gotten released
2. had A LOT better songs on them

The difference between Mick and Keith with the Stones is quite entertaining yet sad at the same time: Mick wants to be modern, Keith wants to just do what they've always done. That 'trend' is quite revealing: a majority of Mick's modern songs with the Stones are failures, take up room for better songs and sound desperate. Meanwhile, there are tons of good songs laying around unfinished because someone wanted to be modern. They've always recorded blues tunes, originals and mostly covers, during LP recording sessions - they just happened to focus on that a few years ago and... the biggest thing in years was a result.

Weirdly Mick had a hand in that.

Perhaps he needs to pay a bit more attention.

Date: February 4, 2020 17:02

NilsHolgersson

Oh sorry, I misunderstood that! smileys with beer I saw the thread with the billboards only later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-04 17:13 by doitywoik.

Date: February 4, 2020 17:07

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon

Are you suggesting that it's just a massive conspiracy and BV just sits in his various hotel rooms, refreshing his screen?

No, I'm suggesting if for example you added up my posts and Hairball's posts and Ian's posts, you'd probably have a significant number. Repeat offenders (or regulars, if you prefer) stuff the ballot whether they intend to or not. The fact that a few folks have multiple usernames is another issue. If the data showed a million posts, but only 248 unique IP addresses (I'm sure it's more than that), you would have a better gauge of how many people are interested enough to post.

Sadly, I've taken treacle humor and treated it seriously, but you never know when my bloated windbag posts will end up being well-received.

Date: February 4, 2020 17:30

Does BV tolerate multiple usernames? (No idea.) Maybe it's Charlie,to kick his comrades' butts? winking smiley

treaclefingers

I might guess that meanwhile also some stubbornness of elder age kicks in ("disagreement" being the euphemistic, or politer term). I believe that if nothing they recorded so far were any good, we would already have something akin to B&L pt 2. In other groups such a disagreement situation, or inability to make a choice, quite likely is where the producer comes in and helps things a bit.

Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Date: February 4, 2020 18:41

bv
It is coming. Just keep healthy so that you will be able to ROCk and ROLL when it is there.

Is it coming?!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 5, 2020 00:17

I think I may be in the minority here but I’d much rather have new music than a tour. Saw Gillette last summer and loved it and have great memories of lots of shows dating back to 1981. Yes I will see a show this tour but I want a new album more

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 5, 2020 01:47

Bashlets
I think I may be in the minority here but I’d much rather have new music than a tour. Saw Gillette last summer and loved it and have great memories of lots of shows dating back to 1981. Yes I will see a show this tour but I want a new album more
+ 1

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...425426427428429430431432433434435...LastNext
Current Page: 430 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home