Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...424425426427428429430431432433434...LastNext
Current Page: 429 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 31, 2020 05:19

OK, then I read his link, now I'm a believer! LOL But Keith actually said something about the early stages somewhat later too (well, maybe he said that more than once, or it was taken from an older interview as well). Anyway, seems like at the moment all Stones fell pretty silent about the album. (Or is the press just too lazy too sell another old warmed-up quote as new?)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 31, 2020 05:22

Keep up the reports doitywoik! smiling smiley

Date: January 31, 2020 06:00

OK, since we already designed several covers, wrote all the songs & lyrics, provided producer plus executive artists and so on, why not also make the reports ourselves? I mean, we don't need no bloody bugger websites for crappy news, we can write them ourselves too (and much better news), no? spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Date: January 31, 2020 06:39

Haha - yes!grinning smiley

Date: January 31, 2020 07:06

Before anyone gets stupid ideas: As much as I love the idea of posting home-brewed Stones news that just say what everybody likes to hear and see how long it takes until some crap site picks up on them and posts them as the latest on the Stones, there are still serious IORRians out there who might be mislead and take them for real. So, amusing scenario but better not do it ...

Date: January 31, 2020 07:26

Rumour has it...........................................winking smiley

There's enough rumour, fantasy, and speculation already - no need to make up new imaginary stuff!

Date: January 31, 2020 07:28

Alright, here's a piece of serious news, albeit from back in September 2014. winking smiley Found this in an old post of mine. In this interview with the German news magazine "Der Spiegel" (Sept. 15th 2014, Der Spiegel 38/2014) Keith talks about plans for a new album and says that they have already collected some ideas:

(rough translation from Germansmiling smiley

KR: "You don't simply sit down and write a song. Songs come from life. You hear someone say something in the street, might be something totally strange but you feel, hey, there's a song hidden somewhere in there!"

SPIEGEL: "Sounds good but still you will have to sit down with Jagger if you want to end up with a couple of songs!"

KR: "We have plans to do that. But during a world tour like now it's a bit difficult. Lately in Europe we brought together a couple of ideas. I don't know when we will have time to go into the studio but we will work on it."

If one includes this statement in the time line, they are working on the album already for 6 years ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-31 07:28 by doitywoik.

Date: January 31, 2020 07:39

Old news is better than no news -spinning smiley sticking its tongue out- thanks doitywoik!

Date: January 31, 2020 08:46

Oh yeah, how optimistic we were back in 2014 (and a bit younger too) ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 31, 2020 09:57

Keep calm!! They're choosing 10 songs from 30/40 basic tracks!!! We don’t know how many more walls they have to hit!!
MAEanwhile we could suggest the title of the album:
1. Hit the Wall
2. Early Stages
3. Dynamite Riffs

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-31 10:03 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 31, 2020 10:06

So lets stay optimistic and fall back on the old adage that "no news is good news "

At least we're not getting

"...we just can't be bothered any more ...and we've given up "

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: January 31, 2020 10:22

...and old news are "Yesterday's Papers".

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 31, 2020 10:24

doitywoik
Alright, here's a piece of serious news, albeit from back in September 2014. winking smiley Found this in an old post of mine. In this interview with the German news magazine "Der Spiegel" (Sept. 15th 2014, Der Spiegel 38/2014) Keith talks about plans for a new album and says that they have already collected some ideas:

KR: "You don't simply sit down and write a song. Songs come from life. You hear someone say something in the street, might be something totally strange but you feel, hey, there's a song hidden somewhere in there!"

SPIEGEL: "Sounds good but still you will have to sit down with Jagger if you want to end up with a couple of songs!"

KR: "We have plans to do that. But during a world tour like now it's a bit difficult. Lately in Europe we brought together a couple of ideas. I don't know when we will have time to go into the studio but we will work on it."

If one includes this statement in the time line, they are working on the album already for 6 years ...

That only adds to the exspectations of a masterpiece. I mean it took James Joyce seven years to finish Ulysses - and 17 years to finnish Finnegans Wake. I do not hope that we have to wait another 11 years though...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2020 18:55

9-27-1997 BRIDGES TO BABYLON

9-5-2005 A BIGGER BANG

12-2-2016 BLUE AND LONESOME

19 years for 3 albums.

11 months left in 2020...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 31, 2020 20:19

GasLightStreet
9-27-1997 BRIDGES TO BABYLON

9-5-2005 A BIGGER BANG

12-2-2016 BLUE AND LONESOME

19 years for 3 albums.

11 months left in 2020...
++With that development we will get an album in 2030 ....smileys with beer

Date: February 1, 2020 00:37

Yep, Chuck Berry style. Took him 38 years to do his final one, CHUCK.

Date: February 1, 2020 16:47

doitywoik

If Keith really said during a world tour like now it's a bit difficult I find that hard to believe, especially considering they have about 18 months between shows on their past few tours - plenty of time to work on songs.

They just don't want to.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 1, 2020 23:40

The band have earned - more than earned - what is effectively semi-retirement. I cannot see any point in them making a new, or reheated, studio album now. It will not sell in significant quantities. It will be torn apart by the critics who keep looking for another Let It Bleed or Exile. And it will require more time than they are able to give to it. Apart from Ronnie, everyone else is nearer to 80 than 70. Whatever energy they have left will be devoted to the next - maybe last - tour. Much though we might hate to say it, they are old men.

One point that does not surface in this thread as often as I believe it should, is the overall health of the band. I have a feeling that neither Keith or Mick are enjoying the quality of health we would like them to have. The Stones have always put the bright side out, kept any personal difficulties out of the limelight, and maintained a very British 'stiff upper lip' demeanour. So just because we don't hear about health issues does not mean there are not any!

For some reason I have had a sense of foreboding about The Stones for a few months now. Hopefully that is just an over-active imagination on my part. I have never, ever, wanted so much to be wrong...

Date: February 2, 2020 00:11

They themselves have talked about a new album in the making for at least four years, as has Don Was and various other people connected with the band.
Yes they have more than earned a "semi-retirement" but since they've been talking about a new album now for four+ years, it seems clear that's what they want to do along with the mini-tours.
Who are we to tell them to stop? Keep on rolling....................

Date: February 2, 2020 03:17

GerardHennessy
I cannot see any point in them making a new, or reheated, studio album now. It will not sell in significant quantities.

Is isn't about the money or sales figures. At least, for me it isn't (it weren't my dough anyway …). It's about being artists, musicians, and what artists and musicians do. I still like to see them as a creative force and not just a 60s/70s revival band. Age per se is not a reason to stop being creative. Leonard Cohen, who died in 2016 at 82 released new albums in 2012, 2014 and 2016, in addition to touring, and his swan songs were released just a few months ago. Admittedly, Cohen said he made his comeback from retirement in a monastery because of money (his manager had emptied his bank accouns) but the albums are strong creative statements. He could as well have done compilations with just one ore two new songs for generating sales but he didn't. And Elliott Carter, as I have already pointed out a while ago, kept writing new pieces up to his death at almost 104 years of age, they weren't few and it was good stuff.

I almost tend to believe Mick when saying that he keeps on writing songs just for his pleasure and the joy of creating, and it would be understandable if he is less enthusiastic about recording them with the Stones (incl. Keith) after the brick wall incident. With Keith I'm not sure to what extent his seeming decrease in creativity correlates with his reported decrease in substance intake. If he is really somehow (close to) as sober as he says (no more blow, less booze), there might be a connection. I'm just wondering if Ronnie isn't doing another solo album because he doesn't feel like or has no songs or if he doesn't want to get in the way of the Stones album-in-progress.

GerardHennessy
One point that does not surface in this thread as often as I believe it should, is the overall health of the band. I have a feeling that neither Keith or Mick are enjoying the quality of health we would like them to have.

Being near-octogenarians it would be outright surprising if they were completely spared from the ailments of age. But compared to some people round their age who I know they seem still in quite good shape. Keith visibly had serious issues in 2017, it just never became clear if they were substance-induced or if there was an independent medical background. Mick is certainly fitter than most 76,5 year old men. Ronnie at 72, after his battle with cancer and (hopefully) having become dry, is quite active anyway and seems to be doing fine. Of Charlie it is known for quite some time that he has trouble with his spine (or so) and needs constant treatment by massage therapists when on tour (and possibly off-tour as well). As long as they are an active touring band they will certainly be very careful as to what statements about their health are released to the public, not to discourage potential promotors and the like. Their insurance payments for a tour are certainly no little sum.

Date: February 2, 2020 03:24

GasLightStreet
If Keith really said during a world tour like now it's a bit difficult I find that hard to believe, especially considering they have about 18 months between shows on their past few tours - plenty of time to work on songs.

They just don't want to.

This particular interview was done during the Fourteen On Fire tour and before they hit the brick wall. In the German version it is, 'Aber während einer Welttournee, wie gerade, ist es ein wenig schwierig.'

In recent years it almost looks like they are touring a lot in order to avoid butting heads in the studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-02 15:37 by doitywoik.

Date: February 2, 2020 10:54

It isn't about sales figures. even in their most deluded thinking they all know that this doesn't apply anymore.
IMO it is about an artistic capping off. A send-off, a wrap-up to their storied career that should happen.
But even that is their prerogative. if they do not want to do another album, of course they do not owe one.
It is the constant reminders from them; the many soundbites they have given us about this fabled album, that now make us say "well come on; let's have it then".

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: February 2, 2020 12:11

Talking a topic to death! You are really relentless confused smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 2, 2020 15:28

GerardHennessy
The band have earned - more than earned - what is effectively semi-retirement. I cannot see any point in them making a new, or reheated, studio album now. It will not sell in significant quantities.

Are they supposed to be creative ARTISTS or merely the world’s most expensive, land locked, cruise ship band?

I don’t care if it is another Exile or Sticky, I simply want my favourite band to create something.

Rod

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 2, 2020 16:21

bitusa2012
GerardHennessy
The band have earned - more than earned - what is effectively semi-retirement. I cannot see any point in them making a new, or reheated, studio album now. It will not sell in significant quantities.

Are they supposed to be creative ARTISTS or merely the world’s most expensive, land locked, cruise ship band?

I don’t care if it is another Exile or Sticky, I simply want my favourite band to create something

thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 2, 2020 16:39

There's either a problem with song quality, or, they aren't agreeing on direction for the album whilst in the studio together.

And given the amount of time since the last album, if there is a new album, I think everyone would have to agree this would be their last. The finality of that I'm sure weighs on them. A career capping album for them would need to be a critical success - as let's face it, it won't sell in huge numbers - or why bother?

Therefore, the easiest solution is for them to 'do nothing', which is what has been happening to this point. I think it will require a herculean effort to get a new album out...not impossible, but less possible obviously as time goes by.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 3, 2020 03:02

colonial
1,000,000 Views - Unprecedented

This could end up been The Rolling Stones "Number 1 Album" thread of all time 1,111,111

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: February 3, 2020 03:40

KRiffhard
bitusa2012
GerardHennessy

I don’t care if it is another Exile or Sticky, I simply want my favourite band to create something

thumbs up thumbs up

That's just it: Do they want to create ie be aritsts or just vomitously regurgitate HOT ROCKS + REWIND as they have been?

That latter seems to be just fine.

Land locked cruise ship band. HA! That's brilliant. And accurate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-03 03:40 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 3, 2020 04:36

Hairball
They themselves have talked about a new album in the making for at least four years, as has Don Was and various other people connected with the band.
Yes they have more than earned a "semi-retirement" but since they've been talking about a new album now for four+ years, it seems clear that's what they want to do along with the mini-tours.
Who are we to tell them to stop? Keep on rolling....................

Officially Four years two months.

However it appears they got together at least once before December 2015 (according to Charlie Watts .. UNLESS he was talking about the jam session they did in 2011 / 2012 to feel things out). Now there is the thing in which they touched on some ideas in 2014.

Either way .. the album has been a loooong time in the making.

By the time we get it .. it will have been 4 1/2 - 5/6 year range.

The 'official' recording sessions for this album started over four years ago. That much we know for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-03 04:37 by IanBillen.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 3, 2020 18:17

Could we be seeing news of the phantom album this week? I hope so!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...424425426427428429430431432433434...LastNext
Current Page: 429 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home