Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...421422423424425426427428429430431...LastNext
Current Page: 426 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 24, 2020 05:29

GasLightStreet
40 years ago this June this new single and LP was released. Chicks dug it, guys hated it: change can be hard for those that are rigid.

Great tune, awesome LP.

The window for an expanded deluxe reissue looms for their longest charting number one album. Excuses for why they won't

- it's not SOME GIRLS (even though that expanded deluxe reissue included ER tracks)
- it would interrupt a TATTOO YOU expanded deluxe reissue

I don't think there's any desire for an EMOTIONAL RESCUE deluxe reissue. Sure it was their longest charting number one album but the band doesn't care about the album enough to dig into the vaults and find unreleased material for it. Maybe they'll do a TATTOO YOU reissue for the 40th anniversary, but it seems like they were done with them after STICKY FINGERS.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2020 05:38

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
40 years ago this June this new single and LP was released. Chicks dug it, guys hated it: change can be hard for those that are rigid.

Great tune, awesome LP.

The window for an expanded deluxe reissue looms for their longest charting number one album. Excuses for why they won't

- it's not SOME GIRLS (even though that expanded deluxe reissue included ER tracks)

I don't think there's any desire for an EMOTIONAL RESCUE deluxe reissue. Sure it was their longest charting number one album but the band doesn't care about the album enough to dig into the vaults and find unreleased material for it. Maybe they'll do a TATTOO YOU reissue for the 40th anniversary, but it seems like they were done with them after STICKY FINGERS.

LOL! I know. It was kind of tongue in cheek. I mean, I'd like it, and probably a number of Stones fans, but seeing that next to no one bought the tepid SOME GIRLS reissue, why bother. TATTOO YOU would make sense but they won't for that one either. Since they can't be bothered, they probably won't do any more expanded reissues, since they were so deeply bothered to do them, and especially considering they can't even release a new single yet alone album.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 24, 2020 05:39

Is there enough additional amterial left from the ER sessions worth of a full bonus CD?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 24, 2020 10:20

Wouldn't have thought there'd be quite as much good raw material left...

...But I absolutely love the SG bonus album and would be more than up for another similar offering.

But I've always been a lot easier to please than many when it comes to the quality of songs and material.

It's the wonderful noise they make when playing almost anything that I've always been in love with.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: January 24, 2020 11:18

Well said Spud, absolutely it is the glorious noise they make above all!

Date: January 24, 2020 11:34

Spud

...But I absolutely love the SG bonus album and would be more than up for another similar offering.

But I've always been a lot easier to please than many when it comes to the quality of songs and material.

It's the wonderful noise they make when playing almost anything that I've always been in love with.

Same here. By far the best of the bonus discs, imo. A coherent album in its own right.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 24, 2020 13:14

Could be wrong but I think Tattoo hit #1 for 9 weeks in the USA. But regardless I want to hear some real news about new music soon.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 24, 2020 15:19

DandelionPowderman
Same here. [SG is] by far the best of the bonus discs, imo. A coherent album in its own right.

thumbs upVery much so .

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 24, 2020 15:21

Have the Stones ever considered doing an all-acoustic album?

anybody? anybody? Bueller?

....and/or did they ever consider doing MTV's "Unplugged?"

were they ever asked?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 24, 2020 15:22

Kind of nuts to think that we are now almost as distant from the “Exile” reissues as “Talk is Cheap” is from “Some Girls.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-24 15:22 by MelBelli.

Date: January 24, 2020 15:55

stickyfingers101

were they ever asked?

They chose to do Stripped instead.

Acoustic album? Would be cool thumbs up

Date: January 24, 2020 16:59

Bashlets
Could be wrong but I think Tattoo hit #1 for 9 weeks in the USA. But regardless I want to hear some real news about new music soon.

You're right. I was going by something I read a long time ago. I can't recall.

Date: January 24, 2020 17:05

doitywoik
Is there enough additional amterial left from the ER sessions worth of a full bonus CD?
Yes. Even with all that was released for ER plus what was used for TY as well as a B-side and then the SG deluxe, there is plenty left over.

Date: January 24, 2020 17:09

They could release something, whether it's for ER or TY, that would include the rest of the good songs they chose to leave off the SG bonus disc (which resulted in it being polluted with 'let's warm up' blues recordings), as well as tracks from the 1978 and 79 ER sessions.

Date: January 24, 2020 17:15

GasLightStreet
doitywoik
Yes. Even with all that was released for ER plus what was used for TY as well as a B-side and then the SG deluxe, there is plenty left over.

This one should be the opening track: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-24 17:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 24, 2020 17:40

stickyfingers101

were they ever asked?

They refused doing an MTV Unplugged show (so I read in the 90s but I'm not sure if they were really asked) but in lieu of an MTV Unplugged album they did the Stripped album, which IMO is a very good album. If you don't know it you should definitely check it out! smiling smiley

Date: January 24, 2020 18:13

GasLightStreet

Great tune, awesome LP.

Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You my favourite two Stones albums

Flower Power
PEACE

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 24, 2020 18:19

DandelionPowderman
Spud

Same here. By far the best of the bonus discs, imo. A coherent album in its own right.

I’ll third and forth that, the Some Girls bonus disc is outstanding...tepid?, not by any stretch.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 24, 2020 18:49

A Tattoo You Deluxe would be nice and eclectic .........

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 24, 2020 18:52

Maindefender
A Tattoo You Deluxe would be nice and eclectic .........

It would be exactly the kind of perverted thing that the Stones would do: a reissue with leftovers from an album that was made up from leftovers in itself...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 24, 2020 19:19

I don't know...imagine Save Me / Criss Cross Mind, Living in the Heart of Love, Drift Away, a completed I Love Ladies, Scarlet, It's a Lie, a finished Munich Hilton and Gangster's Moll, Misty Roads, Everlasting is My Love For You, and Fiji Jim with maybe a couple alternate versions like the Ride a Wave version of Slave and a speed-corrected Never Stop. It could be excellent.

Date: January 24, 2020 20:25

DandelionPowderman
Spud

The SG bonus album is a lot better than the Exile bonus album. The SG bonus really does feel like a coherent piece of its own.

Date: January 24, 2020 21:07

Sorry for spoiling the party but I am not quite as enthusiastic about the SG bonus disc. With every song it bcomes evident immediately why it wasn't put on the actual album. The bonus-songs are simply sub-par and the songs on the actual album are so much better. The SG bonus disc is a nice goodie for the fans but otherwise strictly inessential.

Date: January 24, 2020 21:27

doitywoik
Sorry for spoiling the party but I am not quite as enthusiastic about the SG bonus disc. With every song it bcomes evident immediately why it wasn't put on the actual album. The bonus-songs are simply sub-par and the songs on the actual album are so much better. The SG bonus disc is a nice goodie for the fans but otherwise strictly inessential.

No Spare Parts, Do You Think I Really Care, We Had It All and Tallahassee Lassie, from the ER sessions!, and I Love You Too Much are the stand out tracks, the rest stink. They left off a bunch of good songs.

3 songs on the EOMS bonus are better period - Pass The Wine, Plundered and Signifying.

Date: January 24, 2020 22:27

doitywoik

Don't Be A Stranger is perhaps the absolute WORST written song by Jagger. I cringe at those lyrics. thumbs down

Date: January 25, 2020 00:26

I dunno, I simply can't worm to the SG bonus disk. True, it's like a complete second album, but not really a good one. The boogie stuff sounds to me like the Stones trying to be Status Quo or some glam act of the day (or the day before). The bluesy stuff sounds like what they might come up with as a warm-up before tackling the real songs, Do You Think I really Care sounds like they've been to the Rocky Horror Show the night before, and generally the songs are kind of boring. Means: I never feel like listeing to a song until it's over but after a minute at the very latest I feel the urge to press the fast forward or skip key and go on the the next one. (Let's be honest: Shattered is also a skip track to me LOL)

Some songs sound like a certain potential and might have been better songs after a serious workover. Like No Spare Parts, doesn't start that bad but then for the most part goes on and on and on and on with the same two chords. Seems like they had no fitting piece of puzzle for a bit of variation.

I find it definitely interesting to know the contenders to the tracks that made it on the album, and it also shows which different avenues they pursued trying to come up with something fresh and new. From this perspective alone it is obvious (to me) why none of these songs made it to the album.

Whoever enjoys listening to the SG bonus tracks, keep on enjoying them, I have no problem with that. In the bottom line, whatever somebody else likes or dislikes is none of my business. And as we all know, one man's turd is another man's gem anyway winking smiley They are just not my cup of tea.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 25, 2020 01:06

skipping Shattered should earn you a week in the shadoob

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: January 25, 2020 01:27

I personally really like some of the bonus tracks on SG. Tallahassee Lassie, We Had It All (I love Keef doing that with Willie), Claudine, No spare parts. I dont like the exile bonus disk. How could anyone say Tallahassee Lassie is boring lmao.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 25, 2020 01:31

Wow now the SG deluxe disc is boring and sucks. This particular thread would make a good script for a Netflix series about nothing.....smileys with beer

Date: January 25, 2020 01:54

Nikkei
skipping Shattered should earn you a week in the shadoob

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...421422423424425426427428429430431...LastNext
Current Page: 426 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50