Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...411412413414415416417418419420421...LastNext
Current Page: 416 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 31, 2019 15:11

While there is precious little Mick to it, I'd say "Miracle Worker" is stronger than most of the album.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 31, 2019 15:52

doitywoik
HopeYouGuessMyName
S U P E R H E A V Y has at least 7 terrific songs on it.... I have loved this album from the day it was released... Fans of Mick Jagger unfamiliar with this work are really missing some great music!

I just know the song from the video, never made it to check out the whole album. To me, the video song doesn't sound superheavy but rather superdull. How does this compare to the rest of the album? Does the rest sound the same or is it better?

it sounds wildly different but also quite the same

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 31, 2019 17:01

Nikkei
doitywoik
HopeYouGuessMyName
S U P E R H E A V Y has at least 7 terrific songs on it.... I have loved this album from the day it was released... Fans of Mick Jagger unfamiliar with this work are really missing some great music!

I just know the song from the video, never made it to check out the whole album. To me, the video song doesn't sound superheavy but rather superdull. How does this compare to the rest of the album? Does the rest sound the same or is it better?

it sounds wildly different but also quite the same

So the rest sounds different but is as dull?

Date: December 31, 2019 18:41

You can listen to the whole thing for free on Youtube. Judge for yourself.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2019 20:34

From the Stones today (courtesy of MisterDDDD):

"Wishing you all a very happy New Year and we'll see you in 2020! #happynewyear"
[twitter.com]

Great news regarding the Stones touring, but no mention of new album....
And by the looks of those pics on previous page, seems they're content enjoying the holidays and lots of family time (they deserve it) - no time for work!

Happy 2020 everyone. smiling smiley

Date: December 31, 2019 23:46

Rocky Dijon
HopeYouGuessMyName

While I can't quite muster your enthusiasm for it, I liked bits of it. The problem was just as I liked a bit someone switched the radio dial and some doped-up Jamaican was yammering to himself in a corner. There was a Mariah Carey clone who kept trying to translate what Mick was saying for folks who don't speak Jagger. Once in a blue moon, a Hindu guy would turn up and start chanting some mantra in another language. The whole thing felt like I accidentally hit the scan button on the car radio and couldn't take my hands off the wheel to stop it.

I understand your frustrations with SUPERHEAVY but what exactly are you trying to convey here? "Hindu guy would turn up" - seriously confused smileyconfused smiley WTF..
Your posts are generally sobering. This is somehow rancid

Date: January 1, 2020 05:10

Not sure how what I wrote was offensive unless you're drawing conclusions that aren't there. "Satyameva Jayate" I could appreciate because it was consistent with everyone on the same page, but on several songs, A. R. Rahman turns up chanting in another language which frankly lost me and felt out of place. In the same fashion, I thought most of Damian Marley's toasting seemed jarring. It's not because they're not from England, it's that it didn't seem to gell as a song.

These examples stick out because they were songs I otherwise thought showed promise whereas "I Can't Take It" (which is almost completely Mick) was just bad. Likewise, "One Day, One Night" left me completely cold with Mick sounding like a curmudgeon and Damian's parts "One spliff, no match" not even matching the rest of the lyrics. That was the problem I saw with most of the tracks. The disparate parts rarely clicked. "I Don't Mind" was a rare exception where I thought all the pieces fit well.

Are we really at a stage where someone saying someone speaking another language in the middle of the song was jarring is somehow offensive? If that's the case, Mick is also foreign to me as is Dave Stewart and Joss Stone (who I called a second rate Mariah Carey or something) so I guess I'm in trouble on all counts.

Date: January 1, 2020 05:18

Rocky Dijon
You can listen to the whole thing for free on Youtube. Judge for yourself.

Yeah, I will possibly have time to do that over the next few days.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 1, 2020 10:42

Hairball
From the Stones today (courtesy of MisterDDDD):

"Wishing you all a very happy New Year and we'll see you in 2020! #happynewyear"
[twitter.com]

Great news regarding the Stones touring, but no mention of new album....
And by the looks of those pics on previous page, seems they're content enjoying the holidays and lots of family time (they deserve it) - no time for work!

Happy 2020 everyone. smiling smiley

I always (and will continue to) poke fun at the family time thing with The Stones ... Not because I don't think it is much more of value (and important) with The Rolling Stones in 1965... 78 ...89 ...or 2020 ... (and for anyone of any age ...regardless of 300 million made ...satisfying 20 million fans ...or for havin four people in a bar ya sing for ... time with a loved one is more valuable than any of this) ...

BUT because it is like saying they should be trying to make a few dollar bills

It's like Bruh ... they have LOADS of dollaaaas ....more than any of us .. it isnt why they are not choosing to finish an album smiling smiley)

With all that noted and in mind ... either way I am truly glad they are fortunate enough to spend time with the family ..

Mr. Hairball (and to all others) ... Happy New Year / Happy Holidays / Happy whateva ya feel round this time ..

God Bless Ya All -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-01 10:44 by IanBillen.

Date: January 1, 2020 19:20

Just wondering: since this is 2020 now, shouldn't the thread be renamed to "New Stones album for 2021?", kind of for reasons of consistency? winking smiley

Date: January 1, 2020 22:18

What needs to be seen is what happens next now that Pete Townshend shared Mick's frustration that the album is taking so long. Keith and Ronnie separately did overdubs in May. The band was expected to regroup in the studio after the tour. Soldatti and others heard December, but it appears if it happened at all it was in November when Ronnie's movie premiered and Mick and Don Was attended the screening with him. This fits the rumors they were recording in mid-November, though the location in the rumor was Los Angeles and not London. For now, we wait till they appear publicly and see if they still say a new album is coming this year with the tour. If they say "we'll try to finish it after the tour" yet again, it's pretty pointless.

ALTERNATIVE NATION IS THE GONORRHEA OF ROCK JOURNALISM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-01 22:20 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 1, 2020 23:01

Rocky Dijon
What needs to be seen is what happens next now that Pete Townshend shared Mick's frustration that the album is taking so long. Keith and Ronnie separately did overdubs in May. The band was expected to regroup in the studio after the tour. Soldatti and others heard December, but it appears if it happened at all it was in November when Ronnie's movie premiered and Mick and Don Was attended the screening with him. This fits the rumors they were recording in mid-November, though the location in the rumor was Los Angeles and not London. For now, we wait till they appear publicly and see if they still say a new album is coming this year with the tour. If they say "we'll try to finish it after the tour" yet again, it's pretty pointless.

...'If they say "we'll try to finish it after the tour" yet again, it's pretty pointless':

MR. Rocky ... Ya I'd say it would be... really ... REALLY .. pointless if they say this again .. ha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-01 23:02 by IanBillen.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 1, 2020 23:48

Rocky Dijon

Keith is the stumbling block. I mean that in a good, “quality control” sort of way. ... If there was another session in December, it was held pretty tightly. The first circle out from Core Four+Was (and perhaps Clifford) did not participate.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 2, 2020 01:27

MelBelli

Keith is the stumbling block. I mean that in a good, “quality control” sort of way. ... If there was another session in December, it was held pretty tightly. The first circle out from Core Four+Was (and perhaps Clifford) did not participate.

Good for Keith and lucky for us (or most of us who want quality over quantity).

The Core Four + Don Was....could be back to the drawing board, or possibly another covers album. If there was a session at all that is.

Date: January 2, 2020 02:12

MelBelli
Keith is the stumbling block. I mean that in a good, “quality control” sort of way. ...

Hard to say as long as one doesn't get to know/hear Keith's rejects. If Grip and Lost were really rejected by Keith as Stones songs he's got me on his side but it would be interesting to know other potential songs he rejected over the years.

As for rejecting songs, have there ever been reports of Mick rejecting a Keith song? Or is it rather that, in case Keith really no longer brings structured songs to the sessions but rather just riffs or simple chord changes, Keith songs are rejected by not working on his sketches beyond a certain point? (His accoustic demos for VL - as I remember them - sounded rather complete when comparing with the released versions).

If there were any sessions in November or December they must have been rather brief (and possibly not involving the full core), considering all the other activities that went on round that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 02:15 by doitywoik.

Date: January 2, 2020 04:18

doitywoik
MelBelli
Keith is the stumbling block. I mean that in a good, “quality control” sort of way. ...

Hard to say as long as one doesn't get to know/hear Keith's rejects. If Grip and Lost were really rejected by Keith as Stones songs he's got me on his side but it would be interesting to know other potential songs he rejected over the years.

As for rejecting songs, have there ever been reports of Mick rejecting a Keith song? Or is it rather that, in case Keith really no longer brings structured songs to the sessions but rather just riffs or simple chord changes, Keith songs are rejected by not working on his sketches beyond a certain point? (His accoustic demos for VL - as I remember them - sounded rather complete when comparing with the released versions).

If there were any sessions in November or December they must have been rather brief (and possibly not involving the full core), considering all the other activities that went on round that time.

Yeah ... I must admit to having some of the blame here. Mick and Keith have been sending me songs and many times I don't even listen to them I simply send a 'reject' message to their inbox. I guess I should be more open .. (it's just these guys are always bugging me more and more it seems.. )

Date: January 2, 2020 05:11

That does shed light on a few things, Ian! Seems like you rejected all the good stuff so that only the fillers made it on the albums because they knew they were fillers and thus didn't ask you ... Now you're one naughty boy! winking smiley smileys with beer

Date: January 2, 2020 17:52

Rocky Dijon
Not sure how what I wrote was offensive unless you're drawing conclusions that aren't there. "Satyameva Jayate" I could appreciate because it was consistent with everyone on the same page, but on several songs, A. R. Rahman turns up chanting in another language which frankly lost me and felt out of place. In the same fashion, I thought most of Damian Marley's toasting seemed jarring. It's not because they're not from England, it's that it didn't seem to gell as a song.

These examples stick out because they were songs I otherwise thought showed promise whereas "I Can't Take It" (which is almost completely Mick) was just bad. Likewise, "One Day, One Night" left me completely cold with Mick sounding like a curmudgeon and Damian's parts "One spliff, no match" not even matching the rest of the lyrics. That was the problem I saw with most of the tracks. The disparate parts rarely clicked. "I Don't Mind" was a rare exception where I thought all the pieces fit well.

Are we really at a stage where someone saying someone speaking another language in the middle of the song was jarring is somehow offensive? If that's the case, Mick is also foreign to me as is Dave Stewart and Joss Stone (who I called a second rate Mariah Carey or something) so I guess I'm in trouble on all counts.

I am not prone to posting a lot or writing a ton on this board. However, I think my comment and your explanation deserve a response.

I personally think the album was a nadir for Mick Jagger and for me, the first release related to either Jagger or Richards that had absolutely no merits. For my taste, Satyameva Jayate (yes - you are correct, this is a Mantra and the direct Latin translation would be Veritas Vincit) along with everything else on the album including I Don't Mind was awful. I somewhat like Miracle Worker and Rock Me Gently

My point of variance is not regarding the overall content or the sentiments that you expressed regarding SUPERHEAVY. Specifically, it is your reference to “a Hindu guy”. Since when did we start calling out artists based on their presumed religious affiliation and especially in the absence of that specific religious root to the music being performed? It would be one thing to point out his Bollywood roots and the group’s ill-fated attempt to incorporate some Bollywood sounds and raaga rock and the mélange simply not working. (which I completely agree with). Allah Rakka Rahman is as much “a Hindu guy” as Damien Marley is some rastafari (is he??) or Dave Stewart being described as some protestant dude (is he???).

Also, to get more factual, Allah Rakka Rahman is not “Hindu” although born into a Hindu family. He is also not just another Hindu guy. He is a hugely celebrated artist worldwide, and surprisingly gifted and diverse in his musical vocabulary and unique in his ability to juggle classical western music with mridangams and tablas and carnatic violins. He studied in London at the Trinity College of Music, had a full scholarship to Berklee, turned it down, upended Bollywood and extended his reach globally and then received an honorary doctorate from Berklee. He is incredibly prolific and has a particularly unique and rare talent for melody; his achievements far outweigh his background and upbringing and his mis-steps. Notably kids in church choirs across middle America have incorporated AR Rahman’s songs into their repertoire and have even been singing AR Rahman’s Tamil (a complex Indian language with non-Sanskrit and non-proto Indo-European roots and extremely complex pronunciations) songs in their own anglicized and American accents. This is how far, and deep AR Rahman’s music and influence have penetrated. He was instrumental in driving the establishment of the Berklee Indian Ensemble with members from 42 countries

BTW - Perhaps you know AR Rahmans' music but I don’t judge you or anyone else or expect you or anyone else on this or any rock-n-roll centric board to be particularly in the know w.r.t AR Rahman or even like his music. While I suspect you already like (or would like) some of his music, it is perfectly fine by me for individuals to ignore or genuinely dislike many genres of music and art and dislike many individual artists. I ignore and dislike a lot of AR Rahman’s work myself and also dislike SUPERHEAVY and I dislike AR Rahman's contribution to SUPERHEAVY

Separately, I also see ZERO mal-intent or malice in this post or any of your posts. I see your post as merely expressing frustration with an ill-conceived venture which included Mick Jagger. I feel the same. However, lest this be interpreted by some folks (not necessarily you) as a demand for “political correctness”, I’d like to note that a descriptor such as “a Hindu Guy” is precisely what somehow inadvertently diminishes an individual (and / or a group of individuals) and is simply an unnecessary exoticization applied to an exceptionally accomplished individual who is far more than “a Hindu guy”.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 18:37 by wanderingspirit66.

Date: January 2, 2020 18:48

Got it. I used the word Hindu in this sense:

"Historically, the term has also been used as a geographical, cultural, and later religious identifier for people living in the Indian subcontinent"
[en.wikipedia.org]

I was aware of him from SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE only. I liked the one that was pretty much "his" song in the same way I like WINGLESS ANGELS or Brian's JAJOUKA album. What I didn't like was the disconcerting way the songs would dramatically switch styles and even languages. Something like "Continental Drift" or Paul Simon's GRACELAND album are fascinating for successfully blending outside influences into popular music. The songs that I refer to as channel-surfing fail to do that. Whether it's Damian rapping about something totally unrelated or A. R. Rahman singing in another language, it felt like poor cut and paste experiments. An exception was "Warring People" where everyone (including A. R. Rahman) seemed to be on the same page.

Separate issue - if me using the phrase a Hindu guy is really upsetting, I'm afraid I can't help you. I wasn't referring to his religion. I haven't a clue about it and failing lyrics that refer to it, I likely don't care. I was referring to where he was from since he was singing or chanting in a different language.

Now had I made a derogatory remark based on his ethnicity or religion, by all means call me out. If I refer to someone as an Italian, I don't expect people to be offended any more than I am when people here talk about Americans. I suspect your sensitivity is because you thought I was singling him out for being of another faith. I wasn't and wouldn't unless it was about lyrical perspectives because of it. If you're from India and were genuinely offended, I'm sorry. If not, I can't imagine why we've had this discussion, but that's life in 2020.

The internet is a lovely way of connecting folks and equally valid for reminding us of the value of not wasting time on message boards.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 2, 2020 19:33

Jeez. There must be a lot of Stones lyrics that some people here should find offensive, too, I'm afraid.
The only reason why I questioned the "Mariah Carey" clone part was because I'd thought Joss Stone was a more well known and credible singer than she apparently is (in the USA). A bit like calling Amy Winehouse "some vulgar English broad" or something. But really, who knows mr. Rahman, whatever his accomplishments are.
Come on, this is a Rolling Stones messageboard, not UNICEF (someone here made this rather funny comparison last summer when confronted by the PC attitude on this board smiling smiley.

Date: January 2, 2020 20:36

Unfortunately, my initial SuperHeavy post (with the Mariah Carey remark) was meant to be humorous, if a bit caustic. That seems not to have traveled well. It happens. As Mick said to Reverend Jesse, "If you can't take a joke, it's just too @#$%&' bad."

Incidentally, I thought Amy was terrific, though plenty of her performances were a sloppy mess. It's a tragic loss of talent and life that she did not get a handle on her addictions. I thought Adele was terrific as well when I first heard "Rolling in the Deep." I still thought she was wonderful when I heard "Rumour Has It." Since then, she's seemed a bit repetitive and more than a little boring. Joss Stone is a screamer. Some guys like that. To me, it's all for show. That's what I meant by the Mariah Carey remark. Mind you, I only know her from ALFIE and SUPERHEAVY.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 20:44 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 2, 2020 20:51

Being somewhat caustic is ok with me. Comments can be expected of course, but all in good humour.
Actually I don't know Joss Stone that well, nor Amy or Adele, I mean I don't listen to them. Indeed, only Joss's collaborations with Mick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 21:12 by SomeGuy.

Re: smoking smileyRe: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 3, 2020 03:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-15 23:38 by colonial.

Date: January 3, 2020 08:22

doitywoik
That does shed light on a few things, Ian! Seems like you rejected all the good stuff so that only the fillers made it on the albums because they knew they were fillers and thus didn't ask you ... Now you're one naughty boy! winking smiley smileys with beer

I just throw darts at the song titles they send me. Whatever hits ... hits grinning smiley

'Appy' New Year, Mate.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 3, 2020 08:39

Hey wanderingspirit66, how about you stop trying to control other peoples freedom of speech and thought.
If you don’t like what someone says, Guess what? nobody cares. don’t try to give some long winded bullshit speech which always ends up the same way with the same message” don’t say things I disapprove of.”

Be honest if he had said “some random ass white guy rapping some nonsense”would you be carrying on the same way about it? Be honest and admit it to yourself,you wouldn’t have given it a second thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-04 07:25 by lem motlow.

Date: January 3, 2020 10:39

IanBillen
I just throw darts at the song titles they send me. Whatever hits ... hits grinning smiley

'Appy' New Year, Mate.

If they would apply the darts method too the album would long be out. Maybe text Mick? winking smiley

'appy one ta you too!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 3, 2020 13:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-15 23:39 by colonial.

Date: January 3, 2020 17:04

colonial
950,000...smoking smiley

Looking good! smiling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 3, 2020 17:13

And it's the most borring post of the last years

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 3, 2020 18:41

Rocky Dijon

Alternative IORR should put you on their payroll.

The above post, sans coda, is the source of their latest Stones "news".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...411412413414415416417418419420421...LastNext
Current Page: 416 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home