Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...410411412413414415416417418419420...LastNext
Current Page: 415 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 29, 2019 18:10

Kingbeebuzz

Can anyone please explain what the Stones contractural position is regarding releasing another album ?

See here: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 29, 2019 18:13

Monsoon Ragoon
Maybe I am repeating myself right now. But for me the main question is: why should they - at the moment a great, but still a Greatest Hits "company" - release another sub-standard album which doesn't really sell (at least compared to Some Girls or Tattoo You)?

As long as it brings in more dough than it cost making it ...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 29, 2019 19:59

Monsoon Ragoon
Maybe I am repeating myself right now. But for me the main question is: why should they - at the moment a great, but still a Greatest Hits "company" - release another sub-standard album which doesn't really sell (at least compared to Some Girls or Tattoo You)?

Ask yourself why after the out of the box failure of MAIN OFFENDER and over 20 years of Stones tourists using his lead vocal spot as a bathroom break or beer run, why did Keith bother to cut CROSSEYED HEART? Why did he bother to write and produce it with the guy he worked on MAIN OFFENDER with and why use all of The X-Pensive Winos and their touring sidemen (except the bass players) if he was going to try one more time? Wasn't that asking for further humiliation?

Ask yourself why Mick bothers to write and record solo singles or put together SuperHeavy when he knows all anyone cares about is when the Stones are touring their Greatest Hits again? Why go solo at all when he knows he doesn't even have his core fans' support for doing so? Is he a masochist?

The answer is because the creative impulse is still there for both of them and they don't care whether a bunch of obsessive fans bemoan the fact that it isn't EXILE or SOME GIRLS again. They don't care that most of the tourists buying tickets every year won't support new work from them. They don't care that a handful of people on message boards have turned Don Was' phrase "hitting the wall" into a religious mantra they can recite while slamming their own head into walls several times each day. They don't care that diehard nutjobs hold their breath and threaten to turn blue if The Stones don't give them a new album today. They do what they want when they want and are in the fortunate position to still have major labels distribute their work once they hand it over.

Long before the internet, Keith had a stock answer when Bill German or guys from Rolling Stone would walk up to him and ask when the new album was coming out. Keith would snap, "When it's finished" and walk away.

It's the same answer even when we're a bunch of entitled loons or if we pout and scream, "They'll never finish it, why don't they stop torturing me so I can finally live my life again."

At the end of the day, we're the ones with problems, not them. They're actually being creative and making people happy when they perform. We turn our love of the band into a prison where we're miserable that we can't get what we want every time we decide we deserve it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 29, 2019 20:28

The psychoanalysis of a Stones fan....lol...

"We turn our love of the band into a prison where we're miserable that we can't get what we want"

grinning smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 29, 2019 20:31

Hit the nail on the head there Rocky, if they listened to their "fans" back in 1964 there might not have been any music past that point. Screw "fans"...let the creative be creative and if you like it, buy it, otherwise, leave it.

jb

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 29, 2019 21:04

I also think you're on the point Rocky, with the exception that when putting together Superheavy Mick was not following a creative impulse. In my opinion he sincerely believed he could make a big commercial dent and go on a tour and be a really cool superstar and not have to put up with Keith anymore.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 29, 2019 21:23

I think Superheavy was just about the most creative thing Mick's done outside the Stones so far. The entire album breathes relaxation, a just-do-what-WE-like-attitude, instead of the relatively cramped this-has-to-be-a-hit-or-else forcedness that some of his other solo endeavours had. That's not to say the album couldn't have been a hit, of course.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 29, 2019 21:41

SomeGuy
I think Superheavy was just about the most creative thing Mick's done outside the Stones so far. The entire album breathes relaxation, a just-do-what-WE-like-attitude, instead of the relatively cramped this-has-to-be-a-hit-or-else forcedness that some of his other solo endeavours had. That's not to say the album couldn't have been a hit, of course.

My memory probably fails me, but I cannot remember much PR and media activity when the album was released. Did anyone do the interview circuit, produce videos, TV chat shows, gigs etc.
Or did they assume it would sell on the basis of the names involved?
I wonder what effort the record label put in?

Date: December 29, 2019 21:46

There was no promotion whatsoever, not from the label, not from Mick or the others, as far as I could tell at the time. Perhaps there was the odd interview, but I must have missed that.

Date: December 29, 2019 22:06

SuperHeavy did one music video ("Miracle Worker"). Dave Stewart directed an hour-long documentary that was raided for promotional clips. The documentary never actually surfaced as the album didn't do what was hoped (though it out-performed SOME GIRLS DELUXE EDITION).

They did interviews, but A. R. Rahman and Damian Marley were both irritated that press interest focused on Mick and the Stones' pending 50th Anniversary. Mick and Dave Stewart hoped to play live (the 2012 Summer Olympics was a possibility had the album taken off), but it just never happened despite staged concert footage that was filmed at Paramount.

Falling during the whole "tiny todger" debacle over the promotion of LIFE, Mick's comments were quite defensive while promoting the project. He noted that Keith doesn't see the other Stones much since he lives in suburban Connecticut and that he doesn't know what music Keith listens to. He also noted that "some members" of the Stones don't see the big picture the way Ronnie and Charlie do and understand that side projects like SuperHeavy and solo work help keep the Stones in the public eye, bring them to potentially new markets (Virgin and Universal's marketing showed a growth in young female consumers - say hello to pop ballads), and serve the greater cause of ensuring maximum exposure for the band and their group projects. From that perspective, I would say Rahman and Marley were correct and Mick's focus was not on the project, but viewing the project as a means to an end with that end being The Stones.

Did I like SuperHeavy? No. I'm critical of a great deal of their work, together and apart. My lengthy post wasn't done to criticize fans I disagree with since I fall into some of the same categories I'm discussing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-29 22:08 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 29, 2019 22:13

Hairball
The psychoanalysis of a Stones fan....lol...

grinning smiley

Once Mick told an interviewer he hates being asked questions about how a song or an album came together because he does his best to answer honestly and methodically and he puts everyone to sleep. Then the interviewer asks Keith and he just quips, "Oh it just happens, man." Mick said that always drives him nuts.

In this instance, Hairball is Keith to my Mick.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 29, 2019 22:38

The question is:new albums's out in 2020?!eye rolling smileydrinking smiley

Date: December 29, 2019 22:39

Rocky Dijon
SuperHeavy did one music video ("Miracle Worker"). Dave Stewart directed an hour-long documentary that was raided for promotional clips. The documentary never actually surfaced as the album didn't do what was hoped (though it out-performed SOME GIRLS DELUXE EDITION).

They did interviews, but A. R. Rahman and Damian Marley were both irritated that press interest focused on Mick and the Stones' pending 50th Anniversary. Mick and Dave Stewart hoped to play live (the 2012 Summer Olympics was a possibility had the album taken off), but it just never happened despite staged concert footage that was filmed at Paramount.

Falling during the whole "tiny todger" debacle over the promotion of LIFE, Mick's comments were quite defensive while promoting the project. He noted that Keith doesn't see the other Stones much since he lives in suburban Connecticut and that he doesn't know what music Keith listens to. He also noted that "some members" of the Stones don't see the big picture the way Ronnie and Charlie do and understand that side projects like SuperHeavy and solo work help keep the Stones in the public eye, bring them to potentially new markets (Virgin and Universal's marketing showed a growth in young female consumers - say hello to pop ballads), and serve the greater cause of ensuring maximum exposure for the band and their group projects. From that perspective, I would say Rahman and Marley were correct and Mick's focus was not on the project, but viewing the project as a means to an end with that end being The Stones.

Did I like SuperHeavy? No. I'm critical of a great deal of their work, together and apart. My lengthy post wasn't done to criticize fans I disagree with since I fall into some of the same categories I'm discussing.

See? The clip and interviews all flew by unnoticed by me, but then, I'm not always interested in those things, so there ya go. After all it was 'only' a Jagger project smiling smiley Matter of fact I rather enjoy the album (it's been a while since I last heard it though) but then, I'm somewhat typical in my appreciation of the Stones, myself.

But ok: back to the urgent matter of the new Stones album in 2020. What if we miss anything!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-29 22:43 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 30, 2019 04:27

jbwelda
...let the creative be creative and if you like it, buy it, otherwise, leave it.

jb

Oh yes...take it or leave it... but wouldn't it be great if fans had the opportunity to make that choice? New Stones album of originals...15 years and counting...I'll take it please!
Even if it's 60-75 minutes of garbage (lol), though I have hope some of it could be better than that.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-30 04:28 by Hairball.

Date: December 30, 2019 04:34

S U P E R H E A V Y has at least 7 terrific songs on it.... I have loved this album from the day it was released... Fans of Mick Jagger unfamiliar with this work are really missing some great music!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 31, 2019 02:43

It's funny, I guess, to know that this thread will not make 1 million views before 2020.

Date: December 31, 2019 02:45

Nikkei
Under the Radar is an easter egg. They left it off intentionally in order to make the special edition interesting. It wasn't scrapped or anything. They are smarter than you are willing to admit.

It wasn't good enough to make the LP and it's still not good enough to make the LP. Nice little bonus track but not very good. They were smart to leave it off.

Date: December 31, 2019 02:52

lem motlow
If we count Blue And Lonesome as our Spaghetti Incident there is still two years until we reach Chinese Democracy territory, so we have that going for us.

That's absurd!

That's ridiculous to compare the Stones to GNR!!!

Date: December 31, 2019 02:58

SomeGuy

That's just it - as creative as it may be considered for some, it wasn't good. I don't even think it was bad - it was awful.

Chris Cornell dealt with a similar thing with his solo albums - it ain't Soundgarden, dude.

Perhaps Mick thought he could secretly have a Phil Collins-esque solo career, or perhaps even Bruce Springsteen - both have had multiple successful solo releases outside of their bands. Collins, certainly. Huge.

Date: December 31, 2019 02:59

Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon

Ask yourself why after the out of the box failure of MAIN OFFENDER and over 20 years of Stones tourists using his lead vocal spot as a bathroom break or beer run, why did Keith bother to cut CROSSEYED HEART? Why did he bother to write and produce it with the guy he worked on MAIN OFFENDER with and why use all of The X-Pensive Winos and their touring sidemen (except the bass players) if he was going to try one more time? Wasn't that asking for further humiliation?

Ask yourself why Mick bothers to write and record solo singles or put together SuperHeavy when he knows all anyone cares about is when the Stones are touring their Greatest Hits again? Why go solo at all when he knows he doesn't even have his core fans' support for doing so? Is he a masochist?

The answer is because the creative impulse is still there for both of them and they don't care whether a bunch of obsessive fans bemoan the fact that it isn't EXILE or SOME GIRLS again. They don't care that most of the tourists buying tickets every year won't support new work from them. They don't care that a handful of people on message boards have turned Don Was' phrase "hitting the wall" into a religious mantra they can recite while slamming their own head into walls several times each day. They don't care that diehard nutjobs hold their breath and threaten to turn blue if The Stones don't give them a new album today. They do what they want when they want and are in the fortunate position to still have major labels distribute their work once they hand it over.

Long before the internet, Keith had a stock answer when Bill German or guys from Rolling Stone would walk up to him and ask when the new album was coming out. Keith would snap, "When it's finished" and walk away.

It's the same answer even when we're a bunch of entitled loons or if we pout and scream, "They'll never finish it, why don't they stop torturing me so I can finally live my life again."

At the end of the day, we're the ones with problems, not them. They're actually being creative and making people happy when they perform. We turn our love of the band into a prison where we're miserable that we can't get what we want every time we decide we deserve it.

Rocky, you left out that the Stones have released "30" studio albums...

Date: December 31, 2019 03:00

jlowe
SomeGuy

My memory probably fails me, but I cannot remember much PR and media activity when the album was released. Did anyone do the interview circuit, produce videos, TV chat shows, gigs etc.
Or did they assume it would sell on the basis of the names involved?
I wonder what effort the record label put in?

I remember A LOT of promotion.

Date: December 31, 2019 03:02

HopeYouGuessMyName
S U P E R H E A V Y has at least 7 terrific songs on it.... I have loved this album from the day it was released... Fans of Mick Jagger unfamiliar with this work are really missing some great music!

While I can't quite muster your enthusiasm for it, I liked bits of it. The problem was just as I liked a bit someone switched the radio dial and some doped-up Jamaican was yammering to himself in a corner. There was a Mariah Carey clone who kept trying to translate what Mick was saying for folks who don't speak Jagger. Once in a blue moon, a Hindu guy would turn up and start chanting some mantra in another language. The whole thing felt like I accidentally hit the scan button on the car radio and couldn't take my hands off the wheel to stop it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-31 03:03 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 31, 2019 03:05

Rocky Dijon
HopeYouGuessMyName

While I can't quite muster your enthusiasm for it, I liked bits of it. The problem was just as I liked a bit someone switched the radio dial and some doped-up Jamaican was yammering to himself in a corner. There was a Mariah Carey clone who kept trying to translate what Mick was saying for folks who don't speak Jagger. Once in a blue moon, a Hindu guy would turn up and start chanting some mantra in another language. The whole thing felt like I accidentally hit the scan button on the car radio and couldn't take my hands off the wheel to stop it.

They should've called BAND OF PLAYING FOR CHANGE.

Date: December 31, 2019 03:13

A Mariah Carey clone? Really? smiling smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 31, 2019 04:45

The Who will have another album again before the stones.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 31, 2019 05:17

I would at least want it to be a Mariah Carey clone doing the doped up yammering in the corner. How are those clone's most valuable assets (all both of them) doing, anyway?

jb

Date: December 31, 2019 05:29

GasLightStreet
SomeGuy

That's just it - as creative as it may be considered for some, it wasn't good. I don't even think it was bad - it was awful.

Chris Cornell dealt with a similar thing with his solo albums - it ain't Soundgarden, dude.

Perhaps Mick thought he could secretly have a Phil Collins-esque solo career, or perhaps even Bruce Springsteen - both have had multiple successful solo releases outside of their bands. Collins, certainly. Huge.

I'm not familiar with the music of Chris Cornell or Soundgarden (who knows if not sounding like Soundgarden might not actually be an advantage), Bruce Springsteen nor Phil Collins and I intend to keep it that way. But, this really big question arises suddenly: what interests us now, is, which is the better album, Superheavy or Dirty Work??????

Date: December 31, 2019 06:15

DIRTY WORK by far. "Harlem Shuffle" / "Had It With You" was a great 45. "Too Rude" and "Sleep Tonight" are solid Keith efforts and stand up nicely to anything on TALK IS CHEAP. "Hold Back" fades out just as the song finally did something interesting. "Dirty Work" is the best of the rockers. The guitar work on the album is flawless. "Back to Zero" is a fine funk number with Mick turning his inner "Monkey Man" lose again after all these years. The demo and the extended mix of "Winning Ugly" show that there were some possibilities in there somewhere.

SUPERHEAVY, by contrast, recycles the melody from "KowTow" for "Warring People." Mick embarrasses himself on "I Can't Take It" and even more with his grumpy old man routine on "One Day, One Night." Finally someone needed to tell him asking "where's the rub?" implies suntan lotion is needed rather than referencing Shakespeare's "there's the rub." Lastly "Superheavy" came with its own daft theme song and it wasn't even as good as "Theme from The Monkees."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-31 06:16 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 31, 2019 07:47

DiegoGlimmerStones
Happy Holidays!! Holiday time! smileys with beer Mick in Mustique today, Keef and Ronnie with family. I think The Stones are ready to release the new album and tour in 2020!!

[www.instagram.com]

[www.instagram.com]

[www.instagram.com]

Yes this just screams a decadent bluesy rock and roll life style.
Nothing oozes that Robert Johnson at the crossroads vibe like the family dressed in matching flannel PJs.
You’d think The Stones would be semiretired by now, just enjoying the cash but you can see they’ve kept their edge.
These pictures remind me of Nellcote,I can almost picture Stu pulling up with the mobile unit next to Mick at that tiki bar.
Definitely the vibe great Wayne Newton Christmas albums, I mean great Rock and Roll is made from.
Seriously,This is how it ends with the band rich, happy and content with their families and I’m good with that.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 31, 2019 11:11

HopeYouGuessMyName

I just know the song from the video, never made it to check out the whole album. To me, the video song doesn't sound superheavy but rather superdull. How does this compare to the rest of the album? Does the rest sound the same or is it better?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...410411412413414415416417418419420...LastNext
Current Page: 415 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home