Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...409410411412413414415416417418419...LastNext
Current Page: 414 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2019 16:43

peoplewitheyes
GLS are you trying to pack in those posts in the last few days of the year?

Just kidding man, I hope you keep posting interesting stuff on the interesting threads. Has your girl joined IORR....?>grinning smiley<

LOL!

Nah. Just the usual when I have some spare time.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 26, 2019 18:13

I wouldn't wrap myself in predictions about where I would or wouldn't post and when.

I have said I was done going to shows as of x tour. Ha. I have said no more stadiums...Well, that was before they only play in stadiums.

I don't see anything wrong with this thread. I just mainly read it, without contributing to it.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 27, 2019 23:13

Ronnie Wood teases diverse Rolling Stones record

He told MOJO magazine: "[Work on the album is] ongoing. Taking on shape.

"Many different flavours. Very diverse.

"It's going to be great. Once we've decided what tracks we're gonna use."

[www.list.co.uk]

--

[www.mojo4music.com]

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: December 27, 2019 23:16

bye bye johnny

at this point they're just takin the piss ...

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: December 28, 2019 00:11

babyblue
GerardHennessy
What's the betting we will be reading the same kinds of posts at Christmas 2020? Excited rumours about a new album 'early in 2021' Wild talk about Mick and Keith 'intending to get together before next summer' Press speculation that 'there are definite plans to have something out before the autumn tour' etc, etc, etc.

Sadly I'm not sure I care any longer. What I do hope is that, one way or another, the entire situation about another album is clarified. Will there be one? Or not! Will everything end in 2020? Or not! It would be a real shame if everything just sort of drifted away, and ends in confusion and apathy. Bring everything to a clean,clear and dignified end.

Autumn tour, isn't it June, July, Aug

Yup! It sure is. But I was not being literal - simply giving an example of the kind of thing we might well be reading this time next year. The specific details might vary but I believe things won't have moved on very much - if at all! I'd really like to be wrong, but the band is now even older than when talk about a new album started. They will have even less energy in 2020.

I think the way Blue and Lonesome was made is quite significant. No real fuss, or bother. No long writing sessions. No complicated scheduling. Just go into a studio. Have a few laughs. Maybe a few beers. Get stuck in. Start a groove going. And press 'record'. Even Eric Clapton's presence was quite coincidental.

If they could make an album of original material in the same way I'm confident they would have done so already. But it would need a different process, and much more time. I honestly don't think they have any real incentive or desire to do so now. They might LIKE the idea of another album. They may feel they OUGHT to do one last album. But they are old men with a heightened sense of their own mortality. And any energy they have will be devoted to the next tour.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 28, 2019 01:03

bye bye johnny
Ronnie Wood teases diverse Rolling Stones record

He told MOJO magazine: "[Work on the album is] ongoing. Taking on shape.

"Many different flavours. Very diverse.

[www.list.co.uk]

--

[www.mojo4music.com]

Having read Ronnie's quotes, looks like Liam is getting fed up with the progress of Stones' supposed new album also - almost like he wants to hit a wall bare fisted - if looks could kill.

Date: December 28, 2019 01:13

Maybe tracks are already finished. We just have to wait a bit more

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 28, 2019 05:00

Two things about that magazine cover:

"Faces, Stones, PCP..."

Really? Ronny has been dusting all these years? Well that does explain some things I guess. Like at the Alamo.

And people still know or care about that Liam Gallagher dude? I hadn't heard of him in a decade. Last I heard I thought he told everyone to fack off and left for places unknown. Guess I have been out of touch.

ok thanks
jb

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 28, 2019 05:07

LazarusSmith
bye bye johnny

No, they're not. It is just the usual smalltalk indicating that the release it not exactly imminent. When they've (finally) chosen the tracks, these tracks undoubtedly will need a bit more work, some polishing, some overdubs, a final mix - whatever. Et voilà: By then we'll have 2021. The right time to put it out to coincide with their "upcoming 60th Anniversary" in 2022 and all the surrounding media hoopla. It's all about timing!

I don't expect the album anytime before autumn or Christmas 2021. If they release it next spring or summer (2020), it will be an old hat in 2022 already.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-28 05:11 by retired_dog.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 28, 2019 08:01

bye bye johnny
"Once we've decided what tracks we're gonna use."

Times they are a-changing and Ronnie having a say now in these things or just an outburst of optimism?

Date: December 28, 2019 11:42

jbwelda
Two things about that magazine cover:

"Faces, Stones, PCP..."

Really? Ronny has been dusting all these years? Well that does explain some things I guess. Like at the Alamo.

And people still know or care about that Liam Gallagher dude? I hadn't heard of him in a decade. Last I heard I thought he told everyone to fack off and left for places unknown. Guess I have been out of touch.

ok thanks
jb

Well, he opened for the Stones on the No Filter-tour...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 28, 2019 11:50

retired_dog
LazarusSmith
bye bye johnny

No, they're not. It is just the usual smalltalk indicating that the release it not exactly imminent. When they've (finally) chosen the tracks, these tracks undoubtedly will need a bit more work, some polishing, some overdubs, a final mix - whatever. Et voilà: By then we'll have 2021. The right time to put it out to coincide with their "upcoming 60th Anniversary" in 2022 and all the surrounding media hoopla. It's all about timing!

I don't expect the album anytime before autumn or Christmas 2021. If they release it next spring or summer (2020), it will be an old hat in 2022 already.

A '60th Anniversary tour' sounds so Show biz and predictable. Hope it doesnt come to that and do something unexpected.
Like a Club residency (Chicago and / or New Orleans).
Or even better?. A triple studio album of originals and blues standards.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 29, 2019 00:32

GasLightStreet
I saw Kenny Neal this weekend.

I know where Mick will be in January - at his home in Mustique in the West Indies.

With Kenny Neal and Buddy Guy and a few other blues players - Kenny Neal said he was going to be with Mick for 2 weeks.

Mick won't be working on the Stones album at that time.

He will also be joined by UK PM Boris Johnson, fresh from his General Election 'triumph'.

Date: December 29, 2019 01:21

Happy Holidays!! Holiday time! smileys with beer Mick in Mustique today, Keef and Ronnie with family. I think The Stones are ready to release the new album and tour in 2020!!

[www.instagram.com]

[www.instagram.com]

[www.instagram.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-29 01:28 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 29, 2019 02:17

Looks like Mick's getting ready to
shoot the sequel to Running Out of Luck …………. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: December 29, 2019 03:41

If, IF they ever put that album out, I do think it will be something...at the very least memorable. Even if none of us come to agree on anything, hopefully it won't be MEH, like ABB was.
After all this time I can't imagine something rushed.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 29, 2019 04:07

They are not going to put crap out... it’s gonna be good.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 29, 2019 07:24

Well ya gotta remember .. As was said here .. it's selfish to expect an album or anything from them .. after all they never get in any quality family time ..

The poor Jagger's ... their old man has drug them off to his hideaway at that dumpy island of Mystique (once again).. My guess is he is going to make them pick crops in the fields all day and scrub the floors by night .. .... How horrible these people have it. Look at all of them .. what broken homes and
dis-array and hardship these families face.

On another note ... Ronnie said they still have to pick the songs (I think Don Was mentioned that about four months ago or so) as well. Gotta figure .. picking out the songs is at the very least a three year process in itself .. ....

In my calculations in 2022 the songs should be at least picked out by then .. Mixing them should take another five or six years.. then a few more years to master .. Art work (<<at least a year and a half) ... I'd say by Mmmmmmm by 2030-31 the album should be ready.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-29 07:26 by IanBillen.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 29, 2019 09:02

If we count Blue And Lonesome as our Spaghetti Incident there is still two years until we reach Chinese Democracy territory, so we have that going for us.

In one of the more intriguing and confusing states of affairs in the universe,The Rolling Stones, after Voodoo Lounge and Bigger Bang, for some unexplained reason think that Don Was can produce not only a good album for them but one worth waiting a decade and a half for.
You would think the attitude would be “ we achieved absolute mediocrity the last two times, let’s fire everyone and try again-not the Stones.
It’s - let’s wait 15 years, bash our heads into the brick wall again and see if it cracks this time.
It would take a complete overhaul of the Stones organization to even have an outside shot at making a record as good as Emotional Rescue.
Someone would have to tell Mick to his face his lyrics suck about 60 to 70% of the time, tell Keith his guitar playing is lazy retreads of everything he’s done before and either pay Bill an exorbitant amount of money to do a session or hire an actual rock and roll Bass player.
None of this will ever happen, so welcome to Bigger Bang part 2 - the best Stones since Exile. Coming in 2020 or 2021 or 22 or

Date: December 29, 2019 11:59

Let's see how it goes first, lem. Remember, you were skeptical before the US-tour as well, right? That didn't turn out too bad.. winking smiley

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: December 29, 2019 12:21

diverse ?..sounds like jagger is winning the glimmer battle!

fingers crossed its not a jagger solo album with 3 keef killer riffs added on as an after thought

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 29, 2019 13:29

Maybe I am repeating myself right now. But for me the main question is: why should they - at the moment a great, but still a Greatest Hits "company" - release another sub-standard album which doesn't really sell (at least compared to Some Girls or Tattoo You)?

The MAIN reason they still tour is pretty easy to identify - money. Why should they bother the maybe 40.000-50.000 "casual fans" at every show - most of them have probably never listened even to the complete Sticky Fingers album - with things like One More Shot, Sparks Will Fly, Thief In The Night or Rough Justice. All four of them belong to the 20 or 30 worst (released) Stones songs ever IMHO but they all were played very often, or nearly always on the particular World Tour.

Nevertheless: a great new Stones album is welcome for me. But I have serious doubts if four man in their 70's are capable do release a album which is comparable with "The Big 4".

A Bigger Bang was actually better than expected IMHO. Almost a "halfway classic" if they had scipped the fillers and had included Under The Radar or Hurricane instead. But even then the problem was that they did not play the very good ABB songs on stage (with the exception of Rain Fall Down, This Place Is Empty maybe; even Streets Of Love had something about it live) instead they played some of the weaker ones to death. Fortunately these songs disappeared on later tours.
Why did they disappear? Good question. But probably even Jagger knows that the not so great, but played to death fillers in stadium concerts do actually work - but he also knows that they are no classics.

The Rolling Stones are an somewhat absurd Greatest Hits act these days IMHO. What they do is still pretty great, but it has nothing to do with "art".

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-29 14:49 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 29, 2019 14:03

<if they had scipped the fillers and had included Under The Radar or Hurricane instead>

Both of those are the ABC, the very definition of filler. In fact, they degraded those tunes from filler status smiling smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 29, 2019 14:11

DandelionPowderman

Both of those are the ABC, the very definition of filler. In fact, they degraded those tunes from filler status smiling smiley

I don't think so. Maybe they recognised that Radar was a sort of Child Of The Moon remake; probably one of the reasons that it didn't appear on the "normal" CD album. - Okay, Hurricane is (or was) actually an outtake from the 2002 sessions, but it's still a great track, by far better than some tracks on ABB.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2019 16:39

Monsoon Ragoon
Maybe I am repeating myself right now. But for me the main question is: why should they - at the moment a great, but still a Greatest Hits "company" - release another sub-standard album which doesn't really sell (at least compared to Some Girls or Tattoo You)?

At the height of the CD era, do you think STEEL WHEELS, FLASHPOINT, JUMP BACK, VOODOO, STRIPPED, BRIDGES and NO SECURITY sold well? In the US, those all but the 2 live albums sold a million, a couple of them just over 2 million. The most selling record pre-SOME GIRLS is GOATS HEAD SOUP at 4 million, which is what TY did.

Comparing a new LP to their sales to SOME GIRLS or TATTOO YOU is moot.

Thinking that they will sell a million copies world wide is possibly realistic.

If U2 released THE JOSHUA TREE today it wouldn't sell 14 million world wide (yet alone 10 million in the US).

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 29, 2019 16:45

They'll sell over 2 millions for sure...Not bad at all

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 29, 2019 16:48

IanBillen
On another note ... Ronnie said they still have to pick the songs (I think Don Was mentioned that about four months ago or so) as well. Gotta figure .. picking out the songs is at the very least a three year process in itself .. ....

In my calculations in 2022 the songs should be at least picked out by then .. Mixing them should take another five or six years.. then a few more years to master .. Art work (<<at least a year and a half) ... I'd say by Mmmmmmm by 2030-31 the album should be ready.

You nicely captured the spirit of the album enterprise. winking smileythumbs up

Not being sarcastic but this is pretty much the impression I'm getting over the years. Quick start > wall hitting incident > coupla years going by > early stages > silence > puzzle > choosing pieces of the puzzle and see if they can be assembled into something (>?) a/k/a picking songs > family time / tour (?) ...

No matter how good or bad the album will be, once it's out I guess we all will feel like "What in hell did take them so long there?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-29 18:08 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 29, 2019 17:33

Under the Radar is an easter egg. They left it off intentionally in order to make the special edition interesting. It wasn't scrapped or anything. They are smarter than you are willing to admit.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 29, 2019 17:35

They also leaked the Glastonbury broadcast intentionally. You have the average Sweet Summer Sun and then you have the easter egg

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: December 29, 2019 18:03

Can anyone please explain what the Stones contractural position is regarding releasing another album ?

Apologies if this has already been explained here but I can’t go back searching through the last 413 pages of posts! Life is too short!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...409410411412413414415416417418419...LastNext
Current Page: 414 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home