Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...407408409410411412413414415416417...LastNext
Current Page: 412 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 21, 2019 23:11

DiegoGlimmerStones

Is that the index finger or the FU finger that Mick is presenting to the world? grinning smiley

DiegoGlimmerStones
"Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood told Simon Boyle’s “Bizarre” column of the British newspaper The Sun (...) “The new album is like a puzzle, we still have to piece together the missing pieces. ""

So it is The Sun that they all are quoting (tacitly).

DiegoGlimmerStones
"Ronnie Wood said the band was preparing to release their new studio album early last year, but plans were canceled due to the health of vocalist Mick Jagger, 76, who had heart surgery in April."

Now that's the most hilarious justification for the long wait so far! winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 21, 2019 23:16

The long-awaited album would be the twenty-fourth British and twenty-sixth American in the career of the legendary rock and roll band and the first ever since A Bigger Bang, released in 2005.

The band have released 30 studio albums, 23 live albums and numerous compilations.

Technically speaking, The Rolling Stones have not released 26 compilations and they've only released 10 live albums.

They've released 23 UK LPs and 25 NA LPs yet... somehow they've released 30 studio LPs.

What are the 5 or 7 other LPs?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2019 00:16

doitywoik

Is that the index finger or the FU finger that Mick is presenting to the world? grinning smiley

Could be the number of new/original songs they've almost completed since the wall setback.

Date: December 22, 2019 00:27

GasLightStreet

Yet more compilations I guess. Who would count them anyway. (Or live releases?)

Today I received the 50th anniversary box release of Zappa's Hot Rats. The Zappa (Family?) Trust may have their idiosynracies but they do know how to make a 50th anniversary release worthwhile: 6 CDs, five of them unreleased or unedited material from the sessions, and a board game about getting Zappa into the studio.

While I could have done without the board game, some such thing would make perfect sense with the Stones in view of their apparent difficulties to be all in the (same) studio at the same time...

Might work like this: you've got 4 Stones, and you have to get them all into the studio. But Mick is always held up by business meetings and society events, Keith has to meet his man or falls out of a tree, Ronnie is getting divorced and meeting girls or doing a solo thing, and Charlie is entrenching himself in the stable behind the horses or in his vintage cars. Might even work out as a computer game! grinning smiley

You might get bonus points for also getting Bill and Mick Taylor there. There could even be an extra level for all the Don Was haters out there: make sure that DW does not make it to the studio ... LOL

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 22, 2019 16:55

GasLightStreet

They've released 23 UK LPs and 25 NA LPs yet... somehow they've released 30 studio LPs.

Maybe it's a counting like [en.Wikipedia.org] :

1 - The Rolling Stones (UK)
2 - England's Newest Hit Makers (US)
3 - 12 X 5 (US)
4 - The Rolling Stones No. 2 (UK)
5 - The Rolling Stones, Now! (US)
6 - Out of Our Heads (US)
7 - Out of Our Heads (UK)
8 - December's Children (And Everybody's) (US)
9 - Aftermath (UK)
10 - Aftermath (US)
11 - Between the Buttons (UK)
12 - Between the Buttons (US)
13 - Their Satanic Majesties Request
14 - Beggars Banquet
15 - Let It Bleed
16 - Sticky Fingers
17 - Exile on Main St.
18 - Goats Head Soup
19 - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
20 - Black and Blue
21 - Some Girls
22 - Emotional Rescue
23 - Tattoo You
24 - Undercover
25 - Dirty Work
26 - Steel Wheels
27 - Voodoo Lounge
28 - Bridges to Babylon
29 - A Bigger Bang
30 - Blue & Lonesome

So it's 23 UK-LPs + 7 US-LPs.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 22, 2019 22:35

No offense to the poster of this recent tour and album "news" making the rounds, but it's nothing more than Ronnie's comments to Der Spiegel erroneously credited to The Sun.

The Sun cribbed those comments,and thought so much of them that they're buried below some other gossip.

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 22, 2019 23:15

bye bye johnny

No offense to the poster of this recent tour and album "news" making the rounds, but it's nothing more than Ronnie's comments to Der Spiegel erroneously credited to The Sun.

And before the German Spiegel News-Magazine it was already released on 12-Nov-2019 in the Dutch Volkskrant: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 23, 2019 00:06

Hairball
The old recycled news is picking up steam. A DJ on L.A. radio station KLOS excitedly exclaimed "new Stones album in 2020" and I almost got excited myself!,
But she then went on with the old quotes from Ronnie "it's a puzzle", "hope", etc., etc....confused smiley...lol...

The album is on plans to be released in 2020. Isn't a tentative thing or penciled in plans .. Tis the official plan of action from the band and as Universal Understands (<< and definitely wants it).

However if they have not worked on it by this time next month those plans will have much more than likely been nixed for whatever reason (...as has already happened before a few times with this very albums release plans Lol).

Keep your fingers crossed (the indicators we get within the next six weeks will
be key as to whether we are going to get it or not in 2020 ... or at all).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 00:10 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 23, 2019 00:17

We're presuming because no one has said they've been back in the studio since the tour ended, that they haven't done so at all.

We're also trusting that's it's been "early stages" for four years because they recycle the same lines to the press when there could be a boatload of tracks, alternate versions, etc. that could be signed off on if all concerned feel they have a strong enough album to release.

That's pretty much the three options we've got. It's nowhere near to completion and they're fooling themselves and us. It's coming together and almost finished. It's as good as it's going to get, but they need to agree on selections and running order.

Date: December 23, 2019 00:44

Rocky Dijon
We're presuming because no one has said they've been back in the studio since the tour ended, that they haven't done so at all.

We're also trusting that's it's been "early stages" for four years because they recycle the same lines to the press when there could be a boatload of tracks, alternate versions, etc. that could be signed off on if all concerned feel they have a strong enough album to release.

That's pretty much the three options we've got. It's nowhere near to completion and they're fooling themselves and us. It's coming together and almost finished. It's as good as it's going to get, but they need to agree on selections and running order.

Howdy Mr. Rocky!! So anyway ...Hmmmm well ... I am not assuming they have not been in the studio this month or last. It is my opinion that we should hear that they just completed sessions ... or just worked on the album some more in the next news snippet to come within the next... six weeks...not that they are in the studio currently.

Date: December 23, 2019 00:48

A recent quote from Pete Townshend:

"But they (Stones) also don’t seem to see much sign of creative development. I’m also very friendly with Mick (Jagger),
and I know he’s frustrated about the fact that it seems very difficult for them to come up with new material". - PT

Being that he's friends with Mick, he's as good a source as any.
If they have anything finished that's even somewhat worthy, maybe they'll just settle for that and release it vs. aiming for "excellence".
Indecisions, disagreements, hitting walls, etc., etc., etc. must be very frustrating, and it might do them some good to put it all behind them - whether it's a good album or not.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 23, 2019 00:52

Rocky Dijon

This is exactly what I believe is the case too. There is no way that the album is still in the "early stages" like they've stated recently. Even Charlie said sometime in 2017-18 that he always thinks the last time they've been in the studio was the last time in terms of recording for the album.

Again, here are all of the known recording dates for the album:

December 9-11, 2015: British Grove Studios in London, England.

June 13-26, 2016: British Grove Studios in London, England.

May 30 - June 9, 2017: British Grove Studios in London, England.

Late January/early February - February 20, 2019: (Henson Studios?) in Los Angeles, California.

Date: December 23, 2019 02:13

Weren't Mick, Keith and Steve Jordan working in Germano studios? They even posted a picture.

Date: December 23, 2019 03:00

There have been times when just Mick and Keith (and Don Was etc.) met in the studio a couple times ...and when Mick and Ronnie met as well in putting this together so far. There are more than likely at least three more sessions to add to the list above. This is not even counting them (Mick, Keith or perhaps even Ronnie) working on it alone ..at home or wherever ..which we saw Mick posting clips of.

The album has many / several recording segments .. ranging from three days to two weeks at a time. Some were only two or three days .. some were ten days .. some a couple weeks.

However ...This album has not had long extended studio runs where the band is working on an album for a couple months at a time (... those days are far gone) .. Instead it has been pieced together it seems over many smaller or shorter sessions over the past four years.

Ian

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 03:06 by IanBillen.

Date: December 23, 2019 03:44

JordyLicks96

Sure there wasn't any session before that? On Dec 11, 14 and 15 they worked on B&L - which means the infamous wall-hitting incident occurred already on the 2nd day in the studio altogether?

I'm sure we discussed this already but time and those waves have messed my mind up: which were the sessions that Charlie talked about in this Charlie and Ronnie interview where he wondered what happened to the new album? I think he talked about three blocks of extended sessions (before 2019)?

Date: December 23, 2019 03:49

Ian Billen
The album has many / several recording segments .. ranging from three days to two weeks at a time. Some were only two or three days .. some were ten days .. some a couple weeks.
However ...This album has not had long extended studio runs where the band is working on an album for a couple months at a time (... those days are far gone)

And regarding these "recording segments", some were probably only a couple of hours per day. Some of them three hours, and others maybe five or six at the most.
The days of putting in a proper full day of work, let alone back to back or consecutive full days of work are far gone. They have a busy social life and attend parties, museums, friends, etc.

doitywoik
which were the sessions that Charlie talked about in this Charlie and Ronnie interview where he wondered what happened to the new album? I think he talked about three blocks of extended sessions (before 2019)?

That was way back in 1792...(jk)...it was in 2017. He mentions a pre-wall session, and then "another, and another...", and then says to Ronnie "where's the new album"?
Ronnie looks puzzled and caught off guard, and changes the subject to the Grammy they just won.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 03:55 by Hairball.

Date: December 23, 2019 04:35

Hairball
Ian Billen
However ...This album has not had long extended studio runs where the band is working on an album for a couple months at a time (... those days are far gone)

And regarding these "recording segments", some were probably only a couple of hours per day. Some of them three hours, and others maybe five or six at the most.
The days of putting in a proper full day of work, let alone back to back or consecutive full days of work are far gone. They have a busy social life and attend parties, museums, friends, etc.

doitywoik
which were the sessions that Charlie talked about in this Charlie and Ronnie interview where he wondered what happened to the new album? I think he talked about three blocks of extended sessions (before 2019)?

That was way back in 1792...(jk)...it was in 2017. He mentions a pre-wall session, and then "another, and another...", and then says to Ronnie "where's the new album"?
Ronnie looks puzzled and caught off guard, and changes the subject to the Grammy they just won.

They did a session before December of 2015 on the new album too. Charlie specifically says so ...

Then he goes on to say in reference to the new album 'we've done so many bloody sessions Lol .. I dunno ...where is the new album?'(that interview was almost two years ago now ..and he mentions they did three or four separate sets of sessions almost two years ago). The Stones have been in the studio since then as a group and separately working on it since then as well.

They have done much work on the album it has been reported. Chuck Levell reported they did lots of work on it..but lots still needs done a year and a half ago ...

We know of at the very least five times The Stones all were in the studio together .. (this is what we know of now .. a good while down the road after the album is released we will know the full story on the recording sessions).

I am sure they have plenty of material .. over plenty of time they have spent in the studio over the past 4/5 years.

I can't buy any notion that they haven't spent much time on it. I think it's the exact opposite .. I think they have spent much time on it .. just not in long extended sessions. I also think this album has been perhaps more thought out than any other album in thirty five years ... maybe more. Though these sessions have been brief at times .. consider this .. The Stones have never worked on a single album for going on five years in all their career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 04:45 by IanBillen.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 23, 2019 05:17

doitywoik
JordyLicks96

Sure there wasn't any session before that? On Dec 11, 14 and 15 they worked on B&L - which means the infamous wall-hitting incident occurred already on the 2nd day in the studio altogether?

I'm sure we discussed this already but time and those waves have messed my mind up: which were the sessions that Charlie talked about in this Charlie and Ronnie interview where he wondered what happened to the new album? I think he talked about three blocks of extended sessions (before 2019)?

Rehearsals for the new album were done at John Henry's Studios from December 3-7, 2015.

Sessions for the new album commenced at British Grove Studios on December 9, 2015 with the recording of a new song titled, "Get Out Of My Way."

The second pic was taken from the BLUE & LONESOME Deluxe Edition Booklet. As you can see, after another take of "Get Out Of My Way," the band started recording the covers for BLUE & LONESOME. So they hit the wall on December 11, 2015 which was their 3rd day recording the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 05:20 by JordyLicks96.

Date: December 23, 2019 06:03

Ian Billen
I am sure they have plenty of material .. over plenty of time they have spent in the studio over the past 4/5 years...
The Stones have never worked on a single album for going on five years in all their career.

You would think so, but with the disagreements over direction of the album, not to mention Universal thinking it was uneven,etc., you have to wonder how much will actually be used for a new album?
Again, they should just release an album and move on to something else. Sometimes focusing too hard can be a distraction in itself, and forcing something that doesn't exist doesn't always work as far as quality goes.
At this point, they've become the butt of jokes regarding lack of a new original album in 15 years...as Charlie would say, "where is the new album"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 06:05 by Hairball.

Date: December 23, 2019 06:29

Hairball
Ian Billen
I am sure they have plenty of material .. over plenty of time they have spent in the studio over the past 4/5 years...
The Stones have never worked on a single album for going on five years in all their career.

You would think so, but with the disagreements over direction of the album, not to mention Universal thinking it was uneven,etc., you have to wonder how much will actually be used for a new album?
Again, they should just release an album and move on to something else. Sometimes focusing too hard can be a distraction in itself, and forcing something that doesn't exist doesn't always work as far as quality goes.
At this point, they've become the butt of jokes regarding lack of a new original album in 15 years...as Charlie would say, "where is the new album"?

Yezzer Mr. Hairball I am with you on the fact that while they surely have spent ample time in the studio and while this album has been thought out ... that doesn't mean the material is top notch.

More material over more time does not necessarily equal great material. It doesn't even mean there has to be one great song. It might be 40 songs of decent stuff but nothing truly really good? However as well there very well may be ample great material in there by now and they may be honing it and making the album as good as can possibly be. Either scenario is possible.

Let's hope the latter is the case ...how good the material ... is anyone's guess. While I am convinced they have worked on this carefully and with ample time ... I am not convinced of the quality .. how could I be.. I haven't heard a note ...Nor has there been much ...if any leaking out about it. I'm not discounting they cant do a truly great album again ... one final ... but I have no idea the quality it actually is.

Here's to hoping, Mate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 06:32 by IanBillen.

Date: December 23, 2019 07:18

Hairball
A recent quote from Pete Townshend:

"But they (Stones) also don’t seem to see much sign of creative development. I’m also very friendly with Mick (Jagger),
and I know he’s frustrated about the fact that it seems very difficult for them to come up with new material". - PT

This sounds like a euphemism for Mick saying 'If bloody old Keith just did as I say, the album would long be in the can!'

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 23, 2019 07:29

I, for one, am not entirely convinced that they spent so much time in the studio. Sure, it's been years in the making now, but it's been only a few days at a time. Effectively it's been no more than a few weeks at most. I'm not familiar with the Stones' recording habits, but even in the seventies a few weeks were considered short for a band of their stature. A band would first write songs, then demo them, and then go into the studio to record, for months even.
The choice of songs seems to be a bit of a problem also. One might fear that the real recording maybe has yet to take place. Ronnie said somewhere along the line that probably some stuff "needs to be recut", if I remember correctly.
Of course I hope that I'm wrong. And in this day and age they don't even have to be in the same studio at the same time, but maybe they don't have each other's e-mail addresses smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2019 08:41

…. Keith still uses a fax-machine …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 23, 2019 16:56

Hairball

The first paragraph is definitely on the money. It's how Keith and Steve Jordan described CROSSEYED HEART coming together over a period of years. It's likely how Mick works as well.

The busy social life is certainly true, but add in the fact that they're now between 72 and 78 years old. And richer than God (Clapton). It's amazing they ever leave the house, let alone get out of bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 16:57 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: December 24, 2019 00:01

All i know is that the new album is happening!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 24, 2019 01:22

Rocky Dijon
Hairball

The first paragraph is definitely on the money. It's how Keith and Steve Jordan described CROSSEYED HEART coming together over a period of years. It's likely how Mick works as well.

The busy social life is certainly true, but add in the fact that they're now between 72 and 78 years old. And richer than God (Clapton). It's amazing they ever leave the house, let alone get out of bed.

The second bit I am not so convinced about.
They certainly have the energy, focus, enthusiasm and commitment to tour for a couple of months at a time. Usually at a distance from their 'normsl' residence.

With studio work eg in London all bar Keith could almost nip down the road to their studio of choice and then be back home for family time. It clearly doesn't give them the same buzz however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-24 01:23 by jlowe.

Date: December 24, 2019 04:10

I saw Kenny Neal this weekend.

I know where Mick will be in January - at his home in Mustique in the West Indies.

With Kenny Neal and Buddy Guy and a few other blues players - Kenny Neal said he was going to be with Mick for 2 weeks.

Mick won't be working on the Stones album at that time.

Date: December 24, 2019 04:14

IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

doitywoik

They did a session before December of 2015 on the new album too. Charlie specifically says so ...

Then he goes on to say in reference to the new album 'we've done so many bloody sessions Lol .. I dunno ...where is the new album?'(that interview was almost two years ago now ..and he mentions they did three or four separate sets of sessions almost two years ago). The Stones have been in the studio since then as a group and separately working on it since then as well.

They have done much work on the album it has been reported. Chuck Levell reported they did lots of work on it..but lots still needs done a year and a half ago ...

We know of at the very least five times The Stones all were in the studio together .. (this is what we know of now .. a good while down the road after the album is released we will know the full story on the recording sessions).

I am sure they have plenty of material .. over plenty of time they have spent in the studio over the past 4/5 years.

I can't buy any notion that they haven't spent much time on it. I think it's the exact opposite .. I think they have spent much time on it .. just not in long extended sessions. I also think this album has been perhaps more thought out than any other album in thirty five years ... maybe more. Though these sessions have been brief at times .. consider this .. The Stones have never worked on a single album for going on five years in all their career.

In one group of sessions anyway. TATTOO YOU certainly falls under more than 5 years... just not as a designated album.

Date: December 24, 2019 04:21

As they used to work - take after take - doesn't seem to be happening. And hasn't for quite some time, as far as anyone knows. The days of doing 70 some takes of something have been long gone.

Might explain a few things.

Maybe they've worked on the songs outside of the studio ie writing rehearsing so they don't need to do 70 takes of one song.

We'll know - if it indeed happens and album comes out.

2020? Not believing it.

In fact, having difficulty in believing anything new will come out again. Seeing that they're having such a great time playing songs from 1964-1981 on the last 3 tours and another one coming - why bother. Nostalgia act personified.

Keep in mind I am well aware that they certainly don't need to release anything new as The Rolling Stones given their discography but because Mick has said x amount of things going back to FORTY LICKS comparing the Stones to the Beatles and having something new/moving forward/blah blah blah and his comments about the Stones not being like The Beach Boys... they need to release a new LP, tour it, do one more greatest hits tour of songs from 1964-1981 and then... retire.

And if they do release a new LP and it garners great reviews... they'll conjure up some reason to do a follow up and it'll go on for another 10 years.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: December 24, 2019 04:46

I would be all prepared to dismiss the potential if Crosseyed Heart was not so great. Maybe there is something left.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...407408409410411412413414415416417...LastNext
Current Page: 412 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home