Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...404405406407408409410411412413414...LastNext
Current Page: 409 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 14, 2019 18:54

doitywoik
TornAndFried
I'm looking forward to the limited-edition PLINK box set which includes bonus extras such as a behind-the-scenes documentary ...

No such box would ever be complete without an edition of the 60 greatest pre-show snooker matches, filmed in multiperspective hires video and with dolby surround sound that makes you feel like you're sitting right on the table ...winking smiley

... and then the complaints would come, about the thin sound, the remixing, the sloppy editing, again: no complete matches...

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: December 14, 2019 20:17

Christmas shopping or in a studio?

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: rollman ()
Date: December 14, 2019 22:29

crumbling_mice
Perhaps it's best not to have an album of 'new' material...they pulled it off with B&L and that was because they picked classic blues songs and whilst they obviously couldn;t improve on the originals, they managed to do some acceptable covers.

I seriously doubt that they could write a new album's worth of good material and the likely outcome will be some bad pop/rock and/or formulaic blues songs. B&L is the perfect album to say thanks and goodbye.

We are all huge fans of the band, but if we are brutally honest with ourselves, when was the last great Stones song written...I'd say Love is Strong and that's being very generous with the word great, before that then we have to go way back through the mists of time...way back.

If they are still wanting to go back in the studio and on the road, then why not stick to cover songs for any new recordings, maybe turn their attentions to some country stuff and delta blues?

I wouldn't want their last album to be anything as awful as ABB, this band has been with me for decades and their songs have seen me through some real hard years. THey don't owe me anything, or any other fans for that matter and I'd like to think the last output was a return to their roots...seems the album charts don't lie.

Huhmm? I guess it's just me...but...I think A Bigger Bang is a great album.
Look What The Cat Dragged In ... Yeah
Driving Too Fast ... @#$%& yeah!
Rough Justice
Oh No Not You Again
@#$%&, I'm not going to write the entire list but maybe you who didn't
care for the release should give it another listen ... or two or three or...

Anyway, I'm not arguing with anyone's likes or dislikes, just saying
I like it. I like it more now after listening to it a gob of times than
at first but hey man, it's The Rolling Stones.

You don't REALLY want all their releases to sound just like the stuff
that's out there already... do you?

And what about the two gems Under The Radar and We Don't Wanna Go Home?
Huh? Well anyway, sorry but I had to say it, "I like A Bigger Bang"

Hahaha. Ahhh, it's great being a Rolling Stones Fan smiling smiley
Hahahaha

Peace everybody....

Oh and me, I definitely want an album of new material. That would just
tickle the bejesus out of me

Date: December 14, 2019 23:37

Spud
The trouble these days is that most of us are, or are quickly becoming, miserable , cantankerous old buggers . grinning smiley

Indeed Spud :>

But I, for one, love The Rolling Stones and ALL their albums, records, music,
whatever one wishes to label it. Period. Now and forever.

Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died.

Great stuff. All of it. To ME
Don't care if you disagree smiling smiley

Date: December 14, 2019 23:42

bitusa2012

I've said it before and I'll say it again,,if they FAIL to deliver a new album after nearly 2 decades they have simply become the world's best, no doubt, but most expensive cruise ship band ever.

Hahahahaha. Hilarious

"Just gonna splatya"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-14 23:49 by rollman.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 15, 2019 02:17

SomeGuy
doitywoik
TornAndFried
I'm looking forward to the limited-edition PLINK box set which includes bonus extras such as a behind-the-scenes documentary ...

No such box would ever be complete without an edition of the 60 greatest pre-show snooker matches, filmed in multiperspective hires video and with dolby surround sound that makes you feel like you're sitting right on the table ...winking smiley

... and then the complaints would come, about the thin sound, the remixing, the sloppy editing, again: no complete matches...

Not to forget: too little input from Mick, Keith botching every other shot (and Ronnie still having to let him win), Chuck Leavell claiming he arranged it all and also invented the rules, and Charlie thinking the pool-shooting was over for years ...

---

Ronnie opening a pop-up shop in London? Is that it for the December Paris sessions (if they ever were to be)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-15 02:34 by doitywoik.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 15, 2019 04:17

Stones are too lazy that is the bottom line. No more new music. Move on

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: December 15, 2019 19:00

Agreed that Bigger Bang is fantastic. Stones fans I know personally feel the same way, so would love some new material

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: December 15, 2019 21:06

I don't agree about the band being lazy. For me they are anything but. However they are old, tired and way past the time when their creative juices can function at anything like the level required to deliver an album of quality new material. I also suspect that the general health of the band is some way from being robust. Just because they keep their bright side out, and perform regularly, does not mean they are as healthy as we would like.

I also believe that whatever they do regarding a new album they will be on a hiding to nothing. Anything they might produce will be shredded on arrival by most of the world. They will be accused of everything from greed to pretentiousness, and from vanity to exploitation. They will be told they are out of touch, misguided and living on their legacy. And after all of that it will, at best, sell a couple of million copies around the world. Furthermore any new material will appear only briefly, if at all, on their concert set lists before giving way to the usual warhorses. Why? Because the vast majority of those in attendance will only want to hear the big hits.

At every one of the many Stones concerts I have attended over the past dozen years I have, with sadness, observed the rapid emptying of seats whenever the band play anything other than a warhorse. That includes the less well-known numbers from Exile, Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, never mind Black & Blue, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue or Undercover. As for Aftermath, Out Of Our Heads or Between The Buttons - they might as well delete those from their back catalogue.

Given all of this, can we really blame them for not putting a new studio album at the top of their list of priorities?

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: December 15, 2019 21:50

they deserve to do whatever the freak they want to at this point,. ,which is fine with me.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 15, 2019 22:55

tumbled
they deserve to do whatever the freak they want to at this point,. ,which is fine with me.

agree, also I am surely not at short with good music to listen to

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 15, 2019 22:59

Be interesting to see how they promote this new album.
The Who have shown how to promote yourself in today's marketplace. Their tour was nowhere near as big as a Stones tour, but it was interesting and generated lots of press. Townshend and Daltrey did a ton of interviews. As usual, Pete writes the story for the reporter, but Daltrey has also been good this round. I saw them both interviewed where Roger talked openly about how difficult Pete's addictions were, while Pete squirmed. Roger got a lot of positive press showing up in Cincinnati for memorial services.
I would really like to see the Mick and Keith out there talking to various reporters without benefit of their handlers and really just be honest. I think it could see records.
They missed a chance this year with the 50-year anniversary of Altamont and Let it Bleed. Can you imagine Mick returning to Oakland and opening up that story. Or the band returning to Muscle Shoals and cutting a new track with cameras rolling. Gimme Shelter (the movie) was huge for their career and still generates interest in the mainstream.
I think if they opened themselves up a bit and stopped presenting themselves through carefully scripted concert movies they could generate more interest.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: December 15, 2019 23:36

maumau
tumbled

agree, also I am surely not at short with good music to listen to

I'm totally aligned with both of the above points. The Stones have earned their spurs by now and deserve to please themselves. The suggestion in a separate posting about opening themselves up to the media and stepping away from carefully choreographed movies and press conferences is very interesting. However I seriously wonder if they will do so now. Apart from Ronnie, everyone else is closer to 80 than 70. There comes a point when you think 'do I really need all of this now?' Heaven knows they don't need the money. Neither do they need the hassle!

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: December 16, 2019 00:07

wonderboy
The Who have shown how to promote yourself in today's marketplace. Their tour was nowhere near as big as a Stones tour, but it was interesting and generated lots of press. Townshend and Daltrey did a ton of interviews. As usual, Pete writes the story for the reporter, but Daltrey has also been good this round. I saw them both interviewed where Roger talked openly about how difficult Pete's addictions were, while Pete squirmed. Roger got a lot of positive press showing up in Cincinnati for memorial services.
I would really like to see the Mick and Keith out there talking to various reporters without benefit of their handlers and really just be honest. I think it could see records.
They missed a chance this year with the 50-year anniversary of Altamont and Let it Bleed. Can you imagine Mick returning to Oakland and opening up that story. Or the band returning to Muscle Shoals and cutting a new track with cameras rolling. Gimme Shelter (the movie) was huge for their career and still generates interest in the mainstream.
I think if they opened themselves up a bit and stopped presenting themselves through carefully scripted concert movies they could generate more interest.

The Who album is COMPLETELY DOA, by the only yardstick that matters in music today, the streaming services. No one outside fandom cares. It will chart of course but the charts mean nothing cuz no one but old people buy physical music these days. it would be the same thing, unfortunately, with a new Stones album - great "press," maybe even appearances on NPR, CBS Sunday Morning, and SNL, and the album will come and go in a week or two. Mick and Keith know all this. This, alas, is the real "wall."

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 16, 2019 00:20

LazarusSmith, all good points.
But the Who at least got their music out there, even starting from a much smaller fanbase than the Stones, and Mick&Keith could learn a lesson from that.
If the Stones come out with the usual interviews with Ronnie saying, 'I've never seen them working so closely', it's going to go nowhere.
But if they open up and take an introspective look at their career and their lives, they have a chance to capture some attention.
I understand I am projecting my hopes and desires for what I want onto what they will do.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 16, 2019 01:06

black n blue
Stones are too lazy that is the bottom line. No more new music. Move on

They are lazy 'recording / studio' wise .... I'll def agree with you there. I've openly said / stated this a hundred times over the past five years and I was initially slammed by most for saying that .. (now almost everyone here agrees). In any other fashion they are anything but lazy .. they are in their mid to late 70's still touring and doing things all the time on their own .. (mainly Mick and Ronnie).

However there is 'supposedly' new music (a new studio album of originals) to come from them this year.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-16 01:11 by IanBillen.

Date: December 16, 2019 01:20

LazarusSmith
wonderboy

The Who album is COMPLETELY DOA, by the only yardstick that matters in music today, the streaming services. No one outside fandom cares. It will chart of course but the charts mean nothing cuz no one but old people buy physical music these days. it would be the same thing, unfortunately, with a new Stones album - great "press," maybe even appearances on NPR, CBS Sunday Morning, and SNL, and the album will come and go in a week or two. Mick and Keith know all this. This, alas, is the real "wall."

Mmmmmmmm kina disagree.. The Stones are a 'rare' breed. The only one of their kind .. Blue & Lonesome was simply supposed to be an over the holiday treat / special. It was a covers album and it chalked up to #4 on the US charts (which is impressive by any act for a 'covers album'). Over-all it was the best selling album in the whole world for a few weeks. Additionally it maintained solid sales for an extended period after release. B & L was sort of / basically a 'surprise hit' and it received plenty of attention. Not only did it surprise us ...but it also surprised Universal .. >> AND The Stones.

I'm not saying they will get Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande numbers for petes sake (lol)... BUT.... the new album will do well and will sell better than any other act approaching their age. It will be a success .. and it will garnish adequate attention for them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-16 05:42 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 16, 2019 01:22

IanBillen
However there is 'supposedly' new music (a new studio album of originals) to come from them this year.

15 more days!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-16 01:23 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 16, 2019 03:20

GerardHennessy
I don't agree about the band being lazy. For me they are anything but. However they are old, tired and way past the time when their creative juices can function at anything like the level required to deliver an album of quality new material. I also suspect that the general health of the band is some way from being robust. Just because they keep their bright side out, and perform regularly, does not mean they are as healthy as we would like.

I also believe that whatever they do regarding a new album they will be on a hiding to nothing. Anything they might produce will be shredded on arrival by most of the world. They will be accused of everything from greed to pretentiousness, and from vanity to exploitation. They will be told they are out of touch, misguided and living on their legacy. And after all of that it will, at best, sell a couple of million copies around the world. Furthermore any new material will appear only briefly, if at all, on their concert set lists before giving way to the usual warhorses. Why? Because the vast majority of those in attendance will only want to hear the big hits.

At every one of the many Stones concerts I have attended over the past dozen years I have, with sadness, observed the rapid emptying of seats whenever the band play anything other than a warhorse. That includes the less well-known numbers from Exile, Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, never mind Black & Blue, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue or Undercover. As for Aftermath, Out Of Our Heads or Between The Buttons - they might as well delete those from their back catalogue.

Given all of this, can we really blame them for not putting a new studio album at the top of their list of priorities?

Well put. Mick may just not think the new stuff is up to snuff, even A Bigger Band standards. Their post-Wyman studio output (excluding Blue & Lonesome) has been subpar, compared to the 1962-1990 Stones. The band now belongs to the casual fan willing to way overspend to hear old hits, delivered by a lesser version of the band. Those spruced up bonus cuts from Exile and Some Girls are better than anything they could muster in the studio now. I'm not looking forward to anything new. It looks like Blue and Loneseome, harkening back to their beginnings, is going to be their swan song (quality wise).

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 16, 2019 04:05

And still, I would welcome a new album.

Date: December 16, 2019 06:17

IanBillen
LazarusSmith
wonderboy

Mmmmmmmm kina disagree.. The Stones are a 'rare' breed. The only one of their kind .. Blue & Lonesome was simply supposed to be an over the holiday treat / special. It was a covers album and it chalked up to #4 on the US charts (which is impressive by any act for a 'covers album'). Over-all it was the best selling album in the whole world for a few weeks. Additionally it maintained solid sales for an extended period after release. B & L was sort of / basically a 'surprise hit' and it received plenty of attention. Not only did it surprise us ...but it also surprised Universal .. >> AND The Stones.

I'm not saying they will get Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande numbers for petes sake (lol)... BUT.... the new album will do well and will sell better than any other act approaching their age. It will be a success .. and it will garnish adequate attention for them.

Oh, I agree that it would probably be a #1 album -- for the little that that means anymore. You know how pitiful Blue & Lonesome was on Spotify? Only 4 of its 12 tracks have more streams than the Alok remix of "Gotta Get a Grip"! Imagine that? A heavily promoted and critically lauded Stones album ... and 8 of its 12 tracks get smoked by one of the remixes of a throwaway unpromoted Jagger solo single.

Date: December 16, 2019 08:49

Rocky Dijon
IanBillen

15 more days!

Rocky!!

Yupp ... and my guess is that by the end of next month we will more than we do now .. (prolly an official word ..not an 'announcement' yet or anything like that but something concrete from someone in their group saying it's def coming next year with mention of a possible time frame would be my guess). Keep us posted.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-16 08:49 by IanBillen.

Re: smoking smileyRe: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 16, 2019 12:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-15 23:50 by colonial.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 16, 2019 14:52

GerardHennessy

all they need do is scale down the shows.....play to a smaller select audience and the warhorse regulars will fade away...they are an amazing band with a rich catalog of gems and so many hits...they can put on a show that could amaze people...look at what they did in LA when they celebrated Sticky Fingers live.....yet they choose to be a warhorse....someone said a cruise ship band instead....whatever...only they can decide which way to go.....the hundreds of millions they get per mini tour is difficult to pass up....B & L convinced me that they can put together a live sound in the studio that is still COMPELLING.... AUTHENTIC....that's what fans want....and if they deliver that....then they will be successful....yes even with new music...again the ball is in their court....game on or off Glimmers?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 16, 2019 18:59

Rip This
B & L convinced me that they can put together a live sound in the studio that is still COMPELLING.... AUTHENTIC....that's what fans want....and if they deliver that....then they will be successful....yes even with new music...

Yes to the above - if they can apply the organic B&L approach to original tunes, the results would be very compelling, and most fans would be happy as can be.
But it seems some fans want experimental/artificial technologically advanced sterile sounding contemporary/state of the art mumbo jumbo.
As the old saying goes, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.
That said, at this point I think a majority of fans would be pleased to have an original Stones album no matter what it sounds like...15 years and counting.

Date: December 16, 2019 19:43

Hairball
But it seems some fans want experimental/artificial technologically advanced sterile sounding contemporary/state of the art mumbo jumbo.

YES!!!

that is exactly what we want mr hb -- thx for articulating it so clearly!

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: December 16, 2019 20:25

LazarusSmith
Hairball

YES!!!

that is exactly what we want mr hb -- thx for articulating it so clearly!

Gimme some mumbo!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 16, 2019 21:01

colonial
colonial
This thread is on the home straight to 1,000,000 views - unprecedented smoking smiley

Uum...more views than likely sales then?

Date: December 16, 2019 21:16

depends on how you measure it

stacked up against views, sales would probably lose

but going up against the 37 individual discreet users who generated the vast majority of those views, my money's on sales!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 16, 2019 21:51

actually Hairball I think I am beginning to care NOT. do they whatever they want or not, at this point I really got no expectations anymore. of course I will be thrilled to hear the new album if it ever comes out (I still love the band, too much interwined with my life to part) but up until then I am ready to consider the possibility that their end, as a recording band, is already behind. cheers

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...404405406407408409410411412413414...LastNext
Current Page: 409 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home