Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...403404405406407408409410411412413...LastNext
Current Page: 408 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2019 03:23

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

That has never happened on a tour with an album of originals.

It did on the ABB tour - some shows had ZERO ABB songs!

It never happened on a first leg, while touring an album of originals, that they played "2 new songs max" (that's what we're talking about here).

LOL! OK. So... not the entire tour, just the first leg? Absolutely. However, it was a reverse from their previous, oh, what, 3 tours? when they'd play more and more songs from the new LP as the tour progressed.

Exactly the opposite. By the last couple of legs of the tour they were barely acknowledging ABB and, at times, ignoring it outright.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 13, 2019 04:59

I don't care if they ignore new music in any setlist....though I'd LIKE to hear some, But I DO DEEPLY care that a group of artists are NOT creating anything new,

I've said it before and I'll say it again,,if they FAIL to deliver a new album after nearly 2 decades they have simply become the world's best, no doubt, but most expensive cruise ship band ever.

And THAT is a bloody pity.

Rod

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 13, 2019 07:15

jlowe
Hairball
LazarusSmith
Hairball
Maindefender
Oh I'm sure this new album, whenever it comes out, will have a huge amount of pomp and circumstance associated with it. Certainly a making of type documentary on Netflix which would be cool.......

Yes - wall to wall coverage would be interesting to see. The highs and lows, ups and downs, ins and outs, etc. of the never ending and difficult process of making a rock and roll album for a band in their '70's, interspersed with with brief family film footage clips of holidays and vacation time. Keith and Mick doing voice overs during the most intense moments (the Getta Grip setback, etc), while Charlie is shown occasionally looking puzzled and Ronnie doodling colorful song titles happy as can be.

On a semi- serious note, I'm sure it will be a historic occasion where the entire world will breathe a sigh of relief.

pls refresh our memories: what, precisely was "the getta grip setback" ... and what, exactly, did it set back?

my memory is:

1) mick had a couple of songs

2) keith didn't dig 'em

3) so mick recorded them with charlie and ron, then

4) released 'em as solo singles, and

5) keith was surprised

did this sequence represent a "setback" because had mick never released the singles we'd have had a stones album by now?

or is this just more of a general editorial comment on what you perceive to be the overall crappiness of the singles in question?

I don't think most people need their memory refreshed, but you covered it well and I would say yes to most of the above.
But no - even if Mick had never released them there probably still wouldn't be a new album.

As it stands he took time to record and release them, he took time to promote them, and he had videos made, etc., etc., etc - all the while he could have been focusing on the Stones album.
In other words it was a setback on the work in progress of the new Stones album. And yes, in my opinion the singles were crappy.

I really find it hard to accept that Mick's two tracks took him that much time or was even a distraction from work on the new album at all.
I bet Ronnie has spent considerably more time on all his 'projects' of late.
Unless there has been some studio work in December, I am more pessimistic about Mick and Keith having enough focus to complete the album any time soon.
We have Christmas hols coming up, then some sun in Mustique etc and Mick on the move to avoid tax penalties (he must be close to his 90 day UK limit).

I haven't went anywhere .. I have been keeping tabs on you as much as ever .. You were doing so well .. and now I see this comment .. You know I simply cannot (and will not) accept anything but greatness from you Mr. Hairball ..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2019 07:31

That's great Ian, but I believe you highlighted part of a quote from jlowe and not me. Gotta give credit where credit is due, and that would be to jlowe!
Unless you're referring to my "Getta Grip setback" comment. smiling smiley

By the way have you heard the new Who, and if so how would you rate it?
They jury's still out on my end - heard a couple preview tunes which were great, but still waiting for my free cd to arrive in order to absorb it all start to finish.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 13, 2019 09:17

Hairball
That's great Ian, but I believe you highlighted part of a quote from jlowe and not me. Gotta give credit where credit is due, and that would be to jlowe!
Unless you're referring to my "Getta Grip setback" comment. smiling smiley

By the way have you heard the new Who, and if so how would you rate it?
They jury's still out on my end - heard a couple preview tunes which were great, but still waiting for my free cd to arrive in order to absorb it all start to finish.

My bad Mr. Hairball .. I thought it was you who commented that if the Stones don't get into the studio in December .. an album any time soon is far fetched.

However I must say .. tbh honest and in seriousness .. IMO if they do not make the studio this month or at the very latest some time next month I would think that they basically let the album go .. (they BETTER be recording within the next six weeks! ... or I have a fear that while I am sure they have plenty of material .. there would be not nearly enough that is 110% of quality to go on).

Now as far as The Who (love the band btw ... absolutely adore em ...prolly my second fav band of all time)... So as you I only heard two tracks ... and I must say that I really liked what I heard as well...

I heard 'All This Music Must Fade' (great stuff .. total Who song if I ever heard one) .. and 'Ball and Chain' .. (good as well .. had a good groove ...unlike standard Who material .. heck best 'groove' I heard from them since Eminence Front). So YUPP .. I def liked what I heard .. I blasted both songs a few times here at the house over the last four or five days. Much better than 'Endless Wire' (their last effort). I look forward to hearing the whole album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 09:20 by IanBillen.

Date: December 13, 2019 09:37

IanBillen
y bad Mr. Hairball .. I thought it was you who commented that if the Stones don't get into the studio in December .. an album any time soon is far fetched.

However I must say .. tbh honest and in seriousness .. IMO if they do not make the studio this month or at the very latest some time next month I would think that they basically let the album go .. (they BETTER be recording within the next six weeks! ... or I have a fear that while I am sure they have plenty of material .. there would be not nearly enough that is 110% of quality to go on).

Well Ian, I agree with jlowe that if they don't get into the studio in December, an album any time soon is far fetched.
In fact I'd go so far as to say that even if they DO get into the studio in December, an album any time soon is still farfetched.
And now that December is nearly half over with Christmas around the corner, clearly there isn't much time left to get any work done.
Maybe they have already, but there's been no quotes, tweets, video snippets, or any leaks from insiders so it makes you wonder.

As for them letting the album go, don't give up hope yet. It may be another year or two (the 60th anniversary is coming up), and by then they should have something finished...maybe/hopefully.
Meanwhile new tour rumours are heating up, so most Stones fans will have something to celebrate with or without a new album.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 09:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 13, 2019 12:31

DandelionPowderman
Father Ted
Have the Stones ever specifically said they're working on a new album? There's numerous media quotes attributed to insiders that they're working on tracks and the assumption is then made that these tracks will materialise on an album.

Yes, they have - all of them.

There's heaps of quotes attributed to them but going to into the studio but I'm struggling to find a quote where "an album" is specifically stated as the objective of going into the studio.

How confident are we that there's still an album in the works?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 13, 2019 12:48

Well, most recently there's Ronnie's statement in Der Spiegel that is specifically about the new album, earlier there were those video-taped interviews of Ronnie and Chawlie where they talked about the album-in-progress, and Keith also mentioned it every once in a while. I'm not sure, though, if any of them recently mentioned December sessions in Paris (I can't remember anything in this regard). My guess is that if they were in Paris now recording, our Paris spies would already know and spill the beans.

Date: December 13, 2019 12:57

Father Ted
DandelionPowderman
Father Ted
Have the Stones ever specifically said they're working on a new album? There's numerous media quotes attributed to insiders that they're working on tracks and the assumption is then made that these tracks will materialise on an album.

Yes, they have - all of them.

There's heaps of quotes attributed to them but going to into the studio but I'm struggling to find a quote where "an album" is specifically stated as the objective of going into the studio.

How confident are we that there's still an album in the works?

All members have specifically talked about recording an album. All the quotes and links are in this thread. Quite a bit to look through, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 13, 2019 13:50

TornAndFried

They could give a copy of the album away to people who purchase a ticket to one of their shows.

Most of the punters buying tickets for the live shows would prefer a free copy of Hot Rocks or Honk grinning smiley

Which is half of the whole problem !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 13:52 by Spud.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 13, 2019 14:48

...yup...driven by the cash cow Hot Rocks and Honk.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 13, 2019 16:30

Spud
TornAndFried

They could give a copy of the album away to people who purchase a ticket to one of their shows.

Most of the punters buying tickets for the live shows would prefer a free copy of Hot Rocks or Honk grinning smiley

Which is half of the whole problem !

I'd rather believe they'd just spotify them. I don't use that but I figure the band has a say as to how they are presented on there. If they had an album, there's a good chance they could funnel it into the playlists of interested kids. The streaming numbers of tracks like Hate To See You Go and Ride Em On Down could give an idea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 16:33 by Nikkei.

Date: December 13, 2019 16:52

Maybe it will come around in a sudden manner we don't really expect. Blue And Lonesome was rumoured for months on end when it was long done. Nobody could be sure if there was going to be a "new" album or a blues album or anything. Then at some point they just said go! and there it was. I imagine Matt Clifford and Pierre de Beauport emailing demos back and forth could be what's actually happening during the downtime. Ronnie knows about it but not much else. He's not been asked to blaze away over it yet, he's going to have to do them all in one sitting and after that, we'll know

Date: December 13, 2019 18:27

The longer this goes on, a release during the 60th anniversary anniversary seems the most realistic option as they'll have something to show and "celebrate" as a functioning/continuing band.
If they put it out now or in a few months or in a year, that doesn't leave much to offer for the 60th, except maybe another deluxe remastered box set or something.
Look at poor Led Zeppelin - inactive for decades yes, but all they had to offer for their 50th was a big book with pictures....no new and/or unreleased material, and obviously no tour.
The Stones could do a special 60th anniversary tour, but that's not a guarantee based on their ages, health, etc. Maybe a ten night residency at the Royal Albert Hall or something, but again not a guarantee.
I think they'll continue to focus on touring now as that's where the money is, and take their sweet time with the album with a strategic goal for the 60th...a guaranteed celebration.
Only two years away which is not that long in the big picture. thumbs up

Date: December 13, 2019 19:04

Hairball
The longer this goes on, a release during the 60th anniversary anniversary seems the most realistic option as they'll have something to show and "celebrate" as a functioning/continuing band.
If they put it out now or in a few months or in a year, that doesn't leave much to offer for the 60th, except maybe another deluxe remastered box set or something.
Look at poor Led Zeppelin - inactive for decades yes, but all they had to offer for their 50th was a big book with pictures....no new and/or unreleased material, and obviously no tour.
The Stones could do a special 60th anniversary tour, but that's not a guarantee based on their ages, health, etc. Maybe a ten night residency at the Royal Albert Hall or something, but again not a guarantee.
I think they'll continue to focus on touring now as that's where the money is, and take their sweet time with the album with a strategic goal for the 60th...a guaranteed celebration.

Don't fool yourself - the Stones doing a "special 60th anniversary tour"?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They have the attention span of a gnat. The only thing special about it aside from "60" years would be the celebration of the same set list from 2012.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 13, 2019 19:04

Hairball
In my opinion, the most linear "Modus operandi" now should be the new album out in 2020 with a "Brand new" Tour that continue in 2021 and 2022 (eventually in early 2023 with 5/6 gigs in NYC and London)...In 2022 there will be the Tour(Europe?!), Books, archive releases and a Greatest Hits with 3/4 or so new stuff not included in the new album...I think that this would be the best choice

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 13, 2019 19:10

If they have 20 tracks or so they could make two albumsyawning smileyne in 2020 and another in 2022 with two different "mood"winking smileysmoking smiley

Date: December 13, 2019 19:12

GasLightStreet
Hairball

They have the attention span of a gnat. The only thing special about it aside from "60" years would be the celebration of the same set list from 2012.

Lol...well I did add a qualifier - "Maybe a ten night residency at the Royal Albert Hall or something" and that nothing that far off in the future is a guarantee.
Realistically, there might be a GRRRR type compilation with a couple of new tunes on it (the only two they have completed and can agree upon)....60 and Counting....bring it on!

Date: December 13, 2019 19:17

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball

Lol...well I did add a qualifier - "Maybe a ten night residency at the Royal Albert Hall or something" and that nothing that far off in the future is a guarantee.
Realistically, there might be a GRRRR type compilation with a couple of new tunes on it (the only two they have completed and can agree upon)....60 and Counting....bring it on!

They had the opportunity to do FIFTY LICKS. They settled with a simian disaster. It's very unlikely they'll do & COUNTING again.

Although NO FILTER has gone on for 4 years now.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 13, 2019 19:23

GasLightStreet
Hairball

" anniversary anniversary", a Freudian slip maybe? smiling smiley

Date: December 13, 2019 19:35

SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
Hairball

" anniversary anniversary", a Freudian slip maybe? smiling smiley

Oops my mistake, just saw that SomeGuy...maybe that means the 10th anniversary of the 60th anniversary which would take us to 2032...
Will there be a new Stones album by then? Will they still be rolling?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 13, 2019 20:38

2022 is already set for the release of (and putative tie-in tour for) PLINK, their first live anthology as The Rolling Stones celebrate 40 years of tours with Chuck Leavell culling material specially edited from their official live releases commemorating each tour as well as the Eagle Rock and Ward Records Archival releases. Each track is specially edited together from multiple tours to let listeners enjoy how the War Horses evolved over forty years into the set we all love. Available as a double-CD and triple vinyl deluxe edition including a hardcover book (printed on recycled paper), PLINK also includes a limited edition DVD and Blu-ray allowing viewers to enjoy 28 years of Darryl's "Miss You" bass solo edited together. See a leering Keith Richards age before your eyes while Darryl thumps away. You'll swear the Rolling Stones riffmaster is about to violate him onstage as he stalks him in slow motion mouthing obscenities one tour after another as if it were the first time. Thrill to the piano solo in "Honky Tonk Women" as Chuck's hair goes from a shiny Oaken brown to a snowy white while Keith joins him to play at his side one year after another in this seamlessly edited mix of The Rolling Stones greatest hits played the exact same way for 40 years. PLINK. Pre-order your copy today!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 13, 2019 21:37

Rocky Dijon
Thrill to the piano solo in "Honky Tonk Women" as Chuck's hair goes from a shiny Oaken brown to a snowy white while Keith joins him to play at his side one year after another in this seamlessly edited mix of The Rolling Stones greatest hits played the exact same way for 40 years. PLINK. Pre-order your copy today!

Among the abundant bonus material: an unforgettable insight in the evolving keyboard playing fashionwear from Keith's sneaker room.

Date: December 13, 2019 21:57

Rocky Dijon
...allowing viewers to enjoy 28 years of Darryl's "Miss You" bass solo edited together. See a leering Keith Richards age before your eyes while Darryl thumps away.

late entry for post of the year

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 13, 2019 22:23

Putting too much pressure on the band. To do a great album takes time. I fully expect to see it by the 70th anniversary WORLD tour.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 14, 2019 02:11

SomeGuy
Rocky Dijon
Thrill to the piano solo in "Honky Tonk Women" as Chuck's hair goes from a shiny Oaken brown to a snowy white while Keith joins him to play at his side one year after another in this seamlessly edited mix of The Rolling Stones greatest hits played the exact same way for 40 years. PLINK. Pre-order your copy today!

Among the abundant bonus material: an unforgettable insight in the evolving keyboard-playing footwear from Keith's sneaker collection.

I'm looking forward to the limited-edition PLINK box set which includes bonus extras such as a behind-the-scenes documentary on how Chuck compiles the unique setlist for each show using a WWII-era enigma machine; a full-color facsimile of his fabled song book with his extensive hand-written notes; isolated tracks of Matt Clifford's live onstage keyboard parts, Blondie's backing vocals and Mick Taylor's driving acoustic guitar on Satisfaction live with running commentary from Keith. And as a bonus, never-before-seen rehearsal footage of Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and Chuck attempting to play the Allman Bros. classic instrumental "Jessica" (whilst Mick was out on his solo tour of Japan). All housed in a box in an piano-shaped box made of reclaimed wood salvaged from Chuck's Georgia farm outhouse.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-14 11:28 by TornAndFried.

Date: December 14, 2019 03:05

Rocky Dijon
2022 is already set for the release of (and putative tie-in tour for) PLINK, their first live anthology as The Rolling Stones celebrate 40 years of tours with Chuck Leavell culling material specially edited from their official live releases commemorating each tour as well as the Eagle Rock and Ward Records Archival releases.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would the follow up be PLINK PLINK?

Date: December 14, 2019 03:31

TornAndFried
isolated tracks of...Blondie's backing vocals...

Yes, something to look forward to. smiling smiley

And as a hidden bonus on the limited super duper deluxe, some isolated tracks of his guitar playing when he was hiding under the stage.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 14, 2019 10:11

TornAndFried
I'm looking forward to the limited-edition PLINK box set which includes ...

..., never-before-seen rehearsal footage of Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and Chuck attempting to play the Allman Bros. classic instrumental "Jessica" while Mick was out on his solo tour of Japan. All housed in a box in the shape of an electric piano made of recycled wood from Chuck's outhouse.

That made me chuckle.

I've no doubt that Ronnie would listen to it once and be able to play it back note for note ...[that's one of his talents as a guitar player ]...whilst Keith would add a couple of minimalist but Jazzy chord voicings to add a little bit of colour grinning smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 14, 2019 15:08

TornAndFried
I'm looking forward to the limited-edition PLINK box set which includes bonus extras such as a behind-the-scenes documentary ...

No such box would ever be complete without an edition of the 60 greatest pre-show snooker matches, filmed in multiperspective hires video and with dolby surround sound that makes you feel like you're sitting right on the table ...winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...403404405406407408409410411412413...LastNext
Current Page: 408 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home