Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...402403404405406407408409410411412...LastNext
Current Page: 407 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2019 05:10

DandelionPowderman

That has never happened on a tour with an album of originals.

It did on the ABB tour - some shows had ZERO ABB songs!

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 12, 2019 05:20

What show?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2019 05:28

IanBillen
georgelicks
IanBillen
DandelionPowderman

Stones fans are the toughest to please...

They certainly are. While they are loved .. their true die-hards can be really
tough on them.

Hence .. (and I am paraphrasing below):

A new album is something I would 'not' buy (>>?). I had to read this twice in thinking .. Ummmmm wait a minute here ... did he say he ..'wouldn't'.. consider buying it??

Their US album sales went this way since Voodoo Lounge:

VL: 2.3 million
B2B: 1.3 m
ABB: 600k
B&L: 350k

Where is the news with the lack of interest in their new material?

Has nothing to do with 'sales'. It has to do with a die hard Rolling Stones fan saying he has no plans on buying their next album. Nine out of ten major Stones fans who bought their last two or three studio albums will buy or download this one as well. It is mostly the general public / casual fan in which sales have declined for them (along with many other acts).

My point was here we have a die hard Rolling Stones fan .. one who is even heavily involved in a Rolling Stones message board saying he has no plans / interest in their next record. On a U2, Neil Young, Bob Dylan .. Duran Duran .. Neil Diamond ... Lady Gaga ... Elton John ... etc. etc. a statement like this is very very rare yet on a RS message board statements like this are not so uncommon (in the end it is my guess that he will end up buying or at least downloading it). My point is many of their die hard fans are tough on them or naysayers (most of The time it isn't I .. but The Stones themselves who prove them wrong).

The only times they are not tough is when they SHOULD be ... like them saying they need or at a lack of 'family time' and good rest etc. etc. (which I feel that part .. or neglect due to those aspects is a really laughable excuse).

I bought DIRTY WORK when it came out after getting the Harlem Shuffle EP. I dropped the needle, grabbed the skittle vomit sleeve and One Hit came on and I was pleased... with the music, anyway; the sleeve was as confusing as fuckall. Fight came roaring after and it was great. Harlem Shuffle sounded fantastic.

In fact, I liked the entire album - it was also a drastic improvement after SHE'S THE BOSS, yet no where near as good as UNDERCOVER.

Then came PRIMITIVE COOL... and the 3 outstanding tracks on it (Throwaway, Kow Tow, Peace For The Wicked) made DIRTY WORK sound old real quick.

STEEL WHEELS comes along and suddenly, in just 3 years, DIRTY WORK sounded like something that should be launched beyond orbit and be space junk forever. No wonder people loved VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON - two more reminders that time was moving further and further away from DIRTY WORK.

Yet this sucker here bought the Virgin Records reissue of DIRTY WORK.

Why? I suppose because I'm a fan (and falsely thought it might sound better - which, it kind of did - it was a better shittier sound of a shitty album). For the past 20 years or whatever I've hated DIRTY WORK and it is, indeed, the absolute worst album The Rolling Stones have ever made.

So, my point is, I'll buy the new Stones album... if it ever gets finished and is released and has another gotdamned Streets Of Love kind of soul destroyer on it. Or another pathetic modern wannabe gimping Might As Well Get Juiced. Even though the money I paid for VL, BTB and ABB was too much considering the shit songs that are on all of them, at least they're miles above DW.

Because I know there will be some shit songs on the supposed new album - that's just how they've been for years - nothing like the late 1960s through, oh, 1973. I dunno. I like them all up through U.

It's probably how the BEGGARS-EXILE fans felt when GHS, IORR and BAB came out - not completely burned but certainly not thrilled.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 12, 2019 06:30

nick
What show?

Having quickly skimmed through a few more ABB show reviews towards the latter part of the tour, looks like Madrid, June 28th, '07 had zero tunes from ABB > Madrid
Not sure if there were any other shows of the ABB tour with zero ABB tunes, but wonder what their reasoning was to completely neglect the album that the tour was named after?

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 12, 2019 07:26

“It's probably how the BEGGARS-EXILE fans felt when GHS, IORR and BAB came out - not completely burned but certainly not thrilled.”

I felt exactly that way about GHS and BAB when they came out. I liked IORR better — it reminded me of a mid-60’s Stones album, I guess.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 12, 2019 10:22

Hairball
Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender
Oh I'm sure this new album, whenever it comes out, will have a huge amount of pomp and circumstance associated with it. Certainly a making of type documentary on Netflix which would be cool.......

Yes - wall to wall coverage would be interesting to see. The highs and lows, ups and downs, ins and outs, etc. of the never ending and difficult process of making a rock and roll album for a band in their '70's, interspersed with with brief family film footage clips of holidays and vacation time. Keith and Mick doing voice overs during the most intense moments (the Getta Grip setback, etc), while Charlie is shown occasionally looking puzzled and Ronnie doodling colorful song titles happy as can be.

On a semi- serious note, I'm sure it will be a historic occasion where the entire world will breathe a sigh of relief.

Why bother responding and then come up with “semi serious” drivel? We all know the machine will hype the Greatest a Rock n’ a Roll band 8n the world

Because my post was completely tongue-in-cheek in response to what you now say is something "we all know". If it's something we all know, then why even post it in the first place? And why so serious?

Oops a serious post stating the obvious......

Date: December 12, 2019 10:57

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

It never happened on a first leg, while touring an album of originals, that they played "2 new songs max" (that's what we're talking about here).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-12 11:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 12, 2019 11:47

Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender
Oh I'm sure this new album, whenever it comes out, will have a huge amount of pomp and circumstance associated with it. Certainly a making of type documentary on Netflix which would be cool.......

Yes - wall to wall coverage would be interesting to see. The highs and lows, ups and downs, ins and outs, etc. of the never ending and difficult process of making a rock and roll album for a band in their '70's, interspersed with with brief family film footage clips of holidays and vacation time. Keith and Mick doing voice overs during the most intense moments (the Getta Grip setback, etc), while Charlie is shown occasionally looking puzzled and Ronnie doodling colorful song titles happy as can be.

On a semi- serious note, I'm sure it will be a historic occasion where the entire world will breathe a sigh of relief.

Why bother responding and then come up with “semi serious” drivel? We all know the machine will hype the Greatest a Rock n’ a Roll band 8n the world

Yeah, what's the matter with you , Hairball? You're breaking 3 rules at the same time, you're quoting somebody, you're posting in other peoples threads, and on top of it all, you're being semi serious !

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: December 12, 2019 12:21

looks like the who are going in at no1 with rave reveiws so come on micknkeith its your sturn to step up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 12, 2019 13:31

IanBillen

Has nothing to do with 'sales'. It has to do with a die hard Rolling Stones fan saying he has no plans on buying their next album. Nine out of ten major Stones fans who bought their last two or three studio albums will buy or download this one as well. It is mostly the general public / casual fan in which sales have declined for them (along with many other acts).

My point was here we have a die hard Rolling Stones fan .. one who is even heavily involved in a Rolling Stones message board saying he has no plans / interest in their next record. On a U2, Neil Young, Bob Dylan .. Duran Duran .. Neil Diamond ... Lady Gaga ... Elton John ... etc. etc. a statement like this is very very rare yet on a RS message board statements like this are not so uncommon (in the end it is my guess that he will end up buying or at least downloading it). My point is many of their die hard fans are tough on them or naysayers (most of The time it isn't I .. but The Stones themselves who prove them wrong).

The only times they are not tough is when they SHOULD be ... like them saying they need or at a lack of 'family time' and good rest etc. etc. (which I feel that part .. or neglect due to those aspects is a really laughable excuse).

Well, you seem upset, or at least bewildered about this, and I can at least answer for myself, although I didn't make the original post.

I doubt seriously that I will buy the new album. In fact, I didn't buy ABB. And the only reason I got B&L is because I didn't know what else to ask for Xmas.
You blame this on "being hard on the Stones". I don't think I am. You also say that we should be hard on the Stones for different reasons, because according to you they should not have a rest, or just stop caring about making new albums. I think that's ridiculous. They have any right not to make albums. And I - for one - actually would prefer they would NOT make a new album. I wouldn't mind a new Keith Richards solo album but I don't think he has to, or that he "owes it to me" or anything silly like that.

Why don't I buy new Stones albums but don't think I am "too hard" on them? A very simple reason: the Stones have been around for a long time. They started out as blues, R&B, soul cover artists. I love it, I got most of their albums of that period. Then they had their pop period. Not so fond of it. I have got Aftermath, which I like. But I don't have BtB because the songs I know of it I find rubbish. I do have Their Satanic, although 50% of it is utter crap, the other 50% is very good. Then we have their glory period: 1968 - 1972. I think "any real Stones fan" would have all their albums of that period. If you don't like that period, then probably you don't like the Stones in general that much. After that, I have most of their 70s albums but I don't listen much to IORR of GHS or B&B. The last great album I have is Tattoo You.
I don't have DW (because why would I? I only like One Hit), I do have VL and Bridges, and I never ever listen to them except for Thief In The Night. So, why buy another album of them? Why looking even forward to another album? I am not hard on them, I just find that after Undercover, they stopped being the band I love and admire. They can do whatever they want and good luck to them, but to me, it has nothing to do with what I found great about them. It's lacking.
Some people gave up on the Stones when Brian went out. Some gave up after Taylor. For me, everything post-U is a pity: energy better spent on their solo efforts (for me: mainly Keith's but I'd wish Mick good luck on his solo projects too). The Beatles were smart: when the thrill was gone, they split.

I wish you good luck on hoping for a new Stones album and I hope you'll enjoy it but stop thinking they own you anything and stop thinking that anyone who loves listening to Rolling Stones No 1, Aftermath, Exile or Tattoo You would have any interest in any more "Too Tight" or "Too Tough" or "Too Slow" or "Too Hard" or "Sweet Neocon of Love" nonsense. Having said that, if they'd come up with an album full of One Hit, Thief, Laugh I Nearly quality, yes, I would buy it. But I'd still prefer Keith Solo part IV.

Posted by: torontostoner ()
Date: December 12, 2019 13:55

Even if they play one song from the new album, within the standard setlist, it will give a fresh feel to the tour.
Why not introduce a second 'song vote' category...from the new album? Four new songs to vote on! Who knows? We may even look forward to that part of the show!

New Album? Bring it on!

Date: December 12, 2019 13:59

Erik_Snow
Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender

Yeah, what's the matter with you , Hairball? You're breaking 3 rules at the same time, you're quoting somebody, you're posting in other peoples threads, and on top of it all, you're being semi serious !

On a thread about nothing no less.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 12, 2019 14:04

Nobody needs stuff like Doom And Gloom, let alone One More Shot. Playing the latter one live is even more embarrassing than playing Sympathy, Miss You or IORR in every show. - And yes Madrid was the only ABB-song-free ABB show worldwide. No further comment from my side.

Date: December 12, 2019 14:18

Monsoon Ragoon
Nobody needs stuff like Doom And Gloom, let alone One More Shot. Playing the latter one live is even more embarrassing than playing Sympathy, Miss You or IORR in every show. - And yes Madrid was the only ABB-song-free ABB show worldwide. No further comment from my side.

Nobody needs anything, but I thought D&G and OMS sounded fresh and interesting in the 2012-setlist. It was great to hear new music played live.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 12, 2019 15:14

Have the Stones ever specifically said they're working on a new album? There's numerous media quotes attributed to insiders that they're working on tracks and the assumption is then made that these tracks will materialise on an album.

Date: December 12, 2019 16:28

Father Ted
Have the Stones ever specifically said they're working on a new album? There's numerous media quotes attributed to insiders that they're working on tracks and the assumption is then made that these tracks will materialise on an album.

Yes, they have - all of them.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 12, 2019 17:36

Hairball
LazarusSmith
Hairball
Maindefender

pls refresh our memories: what, precisely was "the getta grip setback" ... and what, exactly, did it set back?

my memory is:

1) mick had a couple of songs

2) keith didn't dig 'em

3) so mick recorded them with charlie and ron, then

4) released 'em as solo singles, and

5) keith was surprised

did this sequence represent a "setback" because had mick never released the singles we'd have had a stones album by now?

or is this just more of a general editorial comment on what you perceive to be the overall crappiness of the singles in question?

I don't think most people need their memory refreshed, but you covered it well and I would say yes to most of the above.
But no - even if Mick had never released them there probably still wouldn't be a new album.

As it stands he took time to record and release them, he took time to promote them, and he had videos made, etc., etc., etc - all the while he could have been focusing on the Stones album.
In other words it was a setback on the work in progress of the new Stones album. And yes, in my opinion the singles were crappy.

I really find it hard to accept that Mick's two tracks took him that much time or was even a distraction from work on the new album at all.
I bet Ronnie has spent considerably more time on all his 'projects' of late.
Unless there has been some studio work in December, I am more pessimistic about Mick and Keith having enough focus to complete the album any time soon.
We have Christmas hols coming up, then some sun in Mustique etc and Mick on the move to avoid tax penalties (he must be close to his 90 day UK limit).

Date: December 12, 2019 17:43

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

Nobody needs anything, but I thought D&G and OMS sounded fresh and interesting in the 2012-setlist. It was great to hear new music played live.

Enjoyed OMS in 2013 thumbs up June 12 fine set list and guests

Date: December 12, 2019 18:55

jlowe

I really find it hard to accept that Mick's two tracks took him that much time or was even a distraction from work on the new album at all.
I bet Ronnie has spent considerably more time on all his 'projects' of late.
Unless there has been some studio work in December, I am more pessimistic about Mick and Keith having enough focus to complete the album any time soon.
We have Christmas hols coming up, then some sun in Mustique etc and Mick on the move to avoid tax penalties (he must be close to his 90 day UK limit).

I never said Mick's singles were the sole reason for the delay, if you see my original post (which was completely tongue-in-cheek) I added "etc". Certainly it was a minor setback though and had to cause some delay imo.
Imagine if every band member said "wait, I've got my own singles to do" in the middle of working on a supposed new band album. Surely there would be some delay on the new album as everyone's focus would be on themselves. I'm not sure any band member of ANY band has ever done something like that in the middle of working on a band album, and to make it weirder one of the main band members (Keith) was left completely out of the loop. Imagine how he felt when Mick "kidnapped" a couple other band members to pursue his own solo goals. Keith was not only surprised, but probably a bit miffed as well. "The bugger went ahead and released them". But again, a minor detour which caused a bit of delay. No big deal, especially when compared to the wall they hit and the lengthy delay that caused. But at least in that case they completed an album of blues covers as a band vs. this case where Mick released a couple of dud singles w/multiple remixes.

Not directed at you jlowe, but as I mentioned in a previous post, with the lack of any info. on the supposed December sessions for the supposed new album, seems many people are getting anxious and antsy to the point of losing their patience and temper. Meanwhile, as you say, the holidays are almost here and they'll probably be basking in the sun somewhere without a care in the world - the album the furthest thing from their mind. At the same time I'm basking in sunny Southern California with my only worry wondering when the new tour will be announced and what the setlist might be...will there be any surprises and/or rarities?

Out of curiosity though, and for the sake of some anxious fans, wondering why there's been no hint of any sort from either band members or insiders? Where's Ronnie to drop some more hints about the never ending puzzle?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 12, 2019 19:04

If you enjoyed OMS that makes you a cheerleader with invalid opinions

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 12, 2019 19:12

Hairball
Out of curiosity though, and for the sake of some anxious fans, wondering why there's been no hint of any sort from either band members or insiders? Where's Ronnie to drop some more hints about the never ending puzzle?

Mick is at his all time low profile: no interviews, no information, everything about him is so secret unlike the old days and with Mick being the CEO of the group the lack of updates is expected.

Mick's latest TV interview was more than 3 years ago and he only gave one radio interview during the last 18 months.

Date: December 12, 2019 19:20

Thanks georgelicks.

I was just referring to some "hints", not full interviews, such as Mick sending out tweets or instagram posts of him jamming on some new material.
Or maybe Ronnie dropping another clue to the big puzzle.

Date: December 12, 2019 19:47

Nikkei
If you enjoyed OMS that makes you a cheerleader with invalid opinions

Keith really enjoyed himself playing that live and singing background, it was great to see the joy on his face.......like it better than D&G live

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: December 12, 2019 20:05

At a show in 2013 they played One More Shot. Fans cheered wildly at the opening chords -- everyone thought they were about to get Street Fighting Man. The enthusiasm quickly muddled down with confusion, with only mild polite applause when the song was over.

Doom and Gloom didn't go over much better; just short and tepid applause after, not like what follows their better known greatest hits.

Date: December 12, 2019 20:09

Not bad tunes, and it was nice to see them attempt to play something new live, but they really were low points of the shows I saw them played at.
Still wondering if we'll ever be able to hear Keith's solo version of One More Shot - I'm sure it sounds completely different in a more subtle/good way, and according to Steve Jordan it's much better.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: December 12, 2019 20:10

I really enjoy OMS and D&G. I think they're real rockers. They could be warhorses if they played them more often. If OOC could be an almost warhorse, they certainly can!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 12, 2019 20:24

I was being sarcastic but I really view OMS as a watershed

Date: December 12, 2019 22:00

funny guy

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 12, 2019 23:40

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Only two shows on the ABB tour had zero ABB songs; the two shows at the Beacon Theater in NYC 2006, filmed for the SHINE A LIGHT film.

That makes 2 shows of 147 to not have any ABB songs played.

Date: December 13, 2019 00:24

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Only two shows on the ABB tour had zero ABB songs; the two shows at the Beacon Theater in NYC 2006, filmed for the SHINE A LIGHT film.

That makes 2 shows of 147 to not have any ABB songs played.

And as has been mentioned, Madrid, June 28th, '07, so that makes three of 147.

Weird they didn't play any at the Beacon shows - seems it would have been a good time to have them documented and etched in stone.
I guess they figured the Bigger Bang live dvd would be more than enough.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...402403404405406407408409410411412...LastNext
Current Page: 407 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home