Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...400401402403404405406407408409410...LastNext
Current Page: 405 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 10, 2019 03:07

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
mailexile67
So, why they've spoken about a "new album" in the last four years?!Why Mick has posted himself playing guitar and singin'new stuff?!That's messed up...eye rolling smileythumbs down

The more I think about it, the likelier I find the scenario that the "new album of original material" was never planned to be finished and released "as quick as possible" like in the old days.

It looks more like they approach the "new album" like they approach touring these days: Devote only a limited period of time each year to work. No more tours longer than roughly 3 months a year. For studio work: 2 or 3 songs every year are enough to have a complete album in a couple of years, probably with their 60th Anniversary in mind right from the start.

But while everybody understands they cut back touring considering their age, it's obviously hard for people to accept that they just don't want to spend weeks or months in a studio to complete a new album anymore. "Take it easy, babe! Monthlong studio sessions? Deadlines? No, forget it! A couple of days here and a couple of days there for studio work each year - well, that's ok! 2 or 3 songs each year are enough and will add up to an album in a couple of years!"

I think that the above scenario is more or less exactly what's actually going on. And I can imagine the band really laughing their asses off when they come here and see fans like us filling 400+ pages with speculations about internal fights & major drifts between the band's songwriters, writer's blocks and whatever...
...while Mick's short video clips seem to look like signals to say "Don't worry people, everything's ok! We're working, but we take our time..."

They must have started round 1999, then, since they have 40 songs? winking smiley

Dandy, as a long term Stones fan you should know that this band defies all logic.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 10, 2019 05:04

Make RollingStones great again! @#$%& Brenda!

There was a time I was proud to be a Rolling Stones fan. Not anymore. Nothing wrong with the the band, but the fans. I've seen enough of polority all over the world. I log out.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 10, 2019 05:07

wonderboy
I'm guessing she a) kept him from being steamrolled by Mick and c) set up those interesting side things he's did -- the Chuck Berry movie, the solo records, even just showing up every now and then to play live with people like Willie Nelson.

I actually think that in our current state of woke political correctness that Keith's general weirdness and 'do I look like a give a @#$%&' attitude is becoming endearing again.

I certainly agree with the first and third above, wonderboy (speaking of Kinks fans...). I had never really thought of Keith's eccentricities (which I think are of the Tom Waits put-on variety to protect privacy rather than genuine oddness) as a remedy for political correctness, but I suspect I could warm to the idea at least as a concept and not necessarily a reflection of his intent.

And treaclefingers, that was wickedly funny and quite witty.

Date: December 10, 2019 05:08

Doxa

There was a time I was proud to be a Rolling Stones fan. Not anymore. Nothing wrong with the the band, but the fans. I've seen enough of polority all over the world. I log out.

- Doxa

Our loss far more than yours, I suspect. Less aggravation and unnecessary stress for you certainly.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 10, 2019 06:46

Rocky Dijon
Doxa

- Doxa

Our loss far more than yours, I suspect. Less aggravation and unnecessary stress for you certainly.

No loss anywhere, bullshit less here or there, no meaning. But just think of what the guys themselves say, like they did last year about "Miss You":

Rock purists at the time were horrified that the Stones had supposedly sold out and “gone disco” — a laughable nonscandal now, considering how many current rock acts (Muse, Beck, Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, and pretty much any band that’s ever released a remix) draw from dance music now. Recalling the backlash, Richards remarked in his dry and delectable drawl: “Purists of any kind really piss me off. Of course, there are some who are gonna think this or that. But that’s their privilege; it’s cool with me. Not everyone’s gonna get it the first time.”

“Yeah, I mean, now it’s ridiculous to even think about,” Jagger marveled. “It’s a bit like Bob Dylan going electric, isn’t it? It’s ridiculous to even think that people made a fuss about it. Now you look back and think, ‘How stupid was that?’ There were a lot of people that were very narrow-minded about it. To me, I wasn’t brought up on rock music so much as blues and soul music, and a lot of that music was dance music. It was specifically made to dance to. You know, I like dancing, so as far as I’m concerned, all sorts of fast songs for me were all made to dance to. So obviously, I’d be very interested in making dance music. And that particular groove was the groove of the moment. You don’t really play the grooves of yesteryear when you make records; you play the grooves of now. And that sort of beat was the thing that was going around at the time. For some people, it was a very big hit, but not everyone liked it.”

Sometimes I feel like the band people like isn't really the one it really is. The Stones are the best rock'n'roll band of the world no doubt, but the secret of their greatness is that that they never been any 'proper' rock band an sich - they are just a bunch of rhythm and blues musicians, inspired by whatever kind of black American music, who just are able to make a noise that makes people make their asses move. They are not a soundtrack for some bloody redneck KKK rally. "You Can't Always Get What You Want", my ass.

If one wants some 'proper' rock music, go ahead and buy the new Who album or something. And try to stay awake. At least remember to hate that odd Jagger guy.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-10 06:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 10, 2019 09:36

Doxa
...Sometimes I feel like the band people like isn't really the one it really is. The Stones are the best rock'n'roll band of the world no doubt, but the secret of their greatness is that that they never been any 'proper' rock band an sich - they are just a bunch of rhythm and blues musicians, inspired by whatever kind of black American music, who just are able to make a noise that makes people make their asses move. They are not a soundtrack for some bloody redneck KKK rally. "You Can't Always Get What You Want", my ass.

- Doxa

Absolutely spot on !

For many fans they have been a one stop introduction to just about every genre of western popular music ...and have broadened the musical horizons for many of us to appreciate music we would never have otherwise given a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-10 09:40 by Spud.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 10, 2019 09:39

Spud
Doxa
...Sometimes I feel like the band people like isn't really the one it really is. The Stones are the best rock'n'roll band of the world no doubt, but the secret of their greatness is that that they never been any 'proper' rock band an sich - they are just a bunch of rhythm and blues musicians, inspired by whatever kind of black American music, who just are able to make a noise that makes people make their asses move. They are not a soundtrack for some bloody redneck KKK rally. "You Can't Always Get What You Want", my ass.

- Doxa

Absolutely spot on !

thumbs up

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 10, 2019 09:42

Doxa
Rocky Dijon
Doxa

- Doxa

No loss anywhere, bullshit less here or there, no meaning. But just think of what the guys themselves say, like they did last year about "Miss You":

Rock purists at the time were horrified that the Stones had supposedly sold out and “gone disco” — a laughable nonscandal now, considering how many current rock acts (Muse, Beck, Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, and pretty much any band that’s ever released a remix) draw from dance music now. Recalling the backlash, Richards remarked in his dry and delectable drawl: “Purists of any kind really piss me off. Of course, there are some who are gonna think this or that. But that’s their privilege; it’s cool with me. Not everyone’s gonna get it the first time.”

“Yeah, I mean, now it’s ridiculous to even think about,” Jagger marveled. “It’s a bit like Bob Dylan going electric, isn’t it? It’s ridiculous to even think that people made a fuss about it. Now you look back and think, ‘How stupid was that?’ There were a lot of people that were very narrow-minded about it. To me, I wasn’t brought up on rock music so much as blues and soul music, and a lot of that music was dance music. It was specifically made to dance to. You know, I like dancing, so as far as I’m concerned, all sorts of fast songs for me were all made to dance to. So obviously, I’d be very interested in making dance music. And that particular groove was the groove of the moment. You don’t really play the grooves of yesteryear when you make records; you play the grooves of now. And that sort of beat was the thing that was going around at the time. For some people, it was a very big hit, but not everyone liked it.”

Sometimes I feel like the band people like isn't really the one it really is. The Stones are the best rock'n'roll band of the world no doubt, but the secret of their greatness is that that they never been any 'proper' rock band an sich - they are just a bunch of rhythm and blues musicians, inspired by whatever kind of black American music, who just are able to make a noise that makes people make their asses move. They are not a soundtrack for some bloody redneck KKK rally. "You Can't Always Get What You Want", my ass.

If one wants some 'proper' rock music, go ahead and buy the new Who album or something. And try to stay awake. At least remember to hate that odd Jagger guy.

- Doxa

Great quotes, Doxa!

Date: December 10, 2019 10:00

Without the Stones I would probably never have immersed myself so deeply in the Blues. I would never have gotten into Country or Reggae.

What a loss to my relationship with music that would have been !

The problem however is perhaps that for me and others of my , errm, advancing years, certain more recently immerging popular genres have been a bridge too far.

My fault.., not the music's fault...but this issue is maybe also present with members of the band and handicaps that natural absorption and assimilation into what we love as "Stones Music".

The recurrent theme in this thread of Mick wanting to be "down with the kids" and Keith now wanting to be a cross between Hoagy Carmichael and Tom Waits is a huge over simplification ...but it does hold some truth as the common ground is just not as wide as it used to be.

Maybe they should follow up B&L with a country album ?

They both probably still like that...and so would many of we winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-10 11:34 by Spud.

Date: December 10, 2019 14:26

Doxa

No loss anywhere, bullshit less here or there, no meaning.

- Doxa

I feel like I was tagged in a rant that doesn't actually apply to me. My point about your reduced role was it's our loss because we don't have the insight and passion you brought on a regular basis as certainly one of the most erudite contributors to the board. It's less your loss because if you opt out more often than not, there's less for you to be irritated by and, as the above shows, there's plenty that irritates you. I miss your contributions.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 10, 2019 18:04

Doxa
Make RollingStones great again! @#$%& Brenda!

- Doxa

What's wrong with the fans, Doxa? By polarity (polority) do you mean some fans wanting new music and some not as much or what? Do you mean the fans in here or the general fan population?

Did you have a chance to see the band love on No Filter?

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 10, 2019 18:10

The trouble these days is that most of us are, or are quickly becoming, miserable , cantankerous old buggers . grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 10, 2019 18:48

New album vs. new tour...what comes first? Or will they coincide?

Something tells me new tour announcement before any new album.
Of course everyone is hoping for a new album, and it still might happen with the new tour, but if not at least they'll be active on the road for those of us who still enjoy seeing them live.
There are a few who refuse to see them live any more for whatever reason, and perhaps their reasoning is justified, but if there's no new album it's gonna be another tough year of discussing/living in the past.
Best case scenario - new album + new tour. Worst case scenario - no new album and no new tour. A possibility - a new tour w/maybe a new single or at most an EP which was rumoured the last tour.
Realistically (imo) - a new tour with no new album. Same stage, same setlist (give or take a "rarity"), same old, same old. And if that's what it comes down to, I'm resigned to the fact...it's still a great day when the Rolling Stones are out on the road.
I can hear Mick now..."Here's the vote winner and one we haven't played for quite some time now...Angie"!!!!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 10, 2019 20:32

New tour? - Most likely. See also Ronnie's statement in Der Spiegel.

New album? - I'll certainly make no predictions here. Reconsidering the puzzle approach that Ronnie mentioned, let's hope that what we get will still be the Rolling Stones and not the Stirring Pebbles ...

New tour supporting the new album (in case there is one)? - However great or botchy the album should turn out to be, I don't think one should hope for a tour in support of a new album in the meaning this had in the old days. If they really intend to play more than one new song (that is, two, three or maybe even four) this would call for a tour of Europe, where they seemingly are a bit more daring (setlistwise) than in the US or the rest of the world.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 10, 2019 21:46

I wish they would do another tribute cover version LP like Blue and Lonesome, only this time cover reggae music and make sure the royalties get to original JA artists.

I thought Blue and Lonesome was brilliant, and that is something I never thought I would be saying again at this late stage of the game.

one love
jb

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: December 10, 2019 22:23

What leads me to believe that there will be new music and hopefully an album is the lack of announcement for the tour. When they have their choice they seem to prefer a May to Early July time frame with a presale announcement that should have happened already. They will hit the road again, that is what they do.
If they push out the tour to late summer/ early fall, it is to wrap up what ever they are working on and showcase parts of it on their next leg.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 10, 2019 22:53

bye bye johnny
Rocky Dijon
And if ALTERNATIVE NATION quotes chunks of this in their amateurish click-bait news articles that keep turning up on my cell phone, please include the remark that ALTERNATIVE NATION makes WEEKLY WORLD NEWS look like THE WALL STREET JOURNAL.

The Rolling Stones Fan's Savage Disrespect Revealed In Brutal Message

AN's still quoting Rocky Dijon on the reg. Recent post in the Jagger/Beck thread is essentially their latest in fake Stones news. Oughta give you a taste of that click bait cash!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-10 22:54 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 10, 2019 22:59

For me a new tour is more meaningful that a new album. I will go see them live multiple times but a new album is not something I would bother to buy. I haven't actually bought an album from ANY band in 20 years and might listen once. I have lots of CDs from artists that provide them free with ticket purchases and most are still unopened.

Date: December 11, 2019 00:21

<a new album is not something I would bother to buy>

Stones fans are the toughest to please...

Date: December 11, 2019 00:27

doitywoik

New tour supporting the new album (in case there is one)? - However great or botchy the album should turn out to be, I don't think one should hope for a tour in support of a new album in the meaning this had in the old days. If they really intend to play more than one new song (that is, two, three or maybe even four) this would call for a tour of Europe, where they seemingly are a bit more daring (setlistwise) than in the US or the rest of the world.
I would never hope for a tour promoting an album as in the old days. One new tune per show, maybe alternating between two every other show, but never three. As for Europe where they're seemingly "a bit more daring", one only has to look at the recent No Filter legs to see that the setlists were consistently similar give or take a tune here and there. The ABB and Licks tour also had the same similarities. Not sure how far back you have to go to find this "daring" Rolling Stones you speak of...maybe all the way back to '63?

jbwelda
I wish they would do another tribute cover version LP like Blue and Lonesome, only this time cover reggae music and make sure the royalties get to original JA artists.

I thought Blue and Lonesome was brilliant, and that is something I never thought I would be saying again at this late stage of the game.

one love
jb

Agreee about another covers album - they could have had five or six since Blue and Lonesome - but I don't think an all reggae tribute would work as it's never been their "specialty", and most of the masses probably wouldn't buy it.
Maybe a mixture of country, r&b, and soul covers...with one reggae tune to spice it up a bit. Again, they could have had volumes I - VI by now, but instead they're stagnating away with nothing to show for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 00:28 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 11, 2019 00:27

I thought he was admitting he's a shop lifter !!! …. hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 11, 2019 00:54

New album ? why would they want to put out new songs that will only get slated 'Not as Good as Exile - Not a Tattoo You or a Sticky Fingers.

Mick knows there is no money in releasing a new studio album that will get Negative press and would hamper Live concert ticket sales on the Never Ending No Filter Tour That's where the money is.Get used to it if they really wanted they could have put something out. Ask yourself why they have not.

Date: December 11, 2019 00:58

Tonstone
New album ? why would they want to put out new songs that will only get slated 'Not as Good as Exile - Not a Tattoo You or a Sticky Fingers.

Mick knows there is no money in releasing a new studio album that will get Negative press and would hamper Live concert ticket sales on the Never Ending No Filter Tour That's where the money is.Get used to it if they really wanted they could have put something out. Ask yourself why they have not.

They did put something out. It sold remarkably well and won a Grammy...

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 11, 2019 01:09

DandelionPowderman
Tonstone

They did put something out. It sold remarkably well and won a Grammy...

C'mon Dandy of course it sold well , Well known Blues Tracks by the Stones is a given and I would buy them all day long , My point is would new songs that are not old Blues standards be appealing ? They would last a couple of Plays and be forgotten . Bridges To Babylon & A Bigger Bang spring to mind.Only my opinion.

Date: December 11, 2019 04:37

Unfortunately they only played two (or three) tunes from B&L, and never more than one at the same show. A shame as the tunes were far superior live in the context of a Stones show, while listening to the album itself was just an average experience.
Would have been nice to have some club shows where they played B&L from start to finish (along with some of the classics), but I realize that's an unrealistic thought in these latter days of massive nostalgia filled stadium tours.

smoking smileyRe: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 11, 2019 04:42

This thread is on the home straight to 1,000,000 views - unprecedented smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 11, 2019 04:59

DandelionPowderman

They certainly are. While they are loved .. their true die-hards can be really
tough on them.

Hence .. (and I am paraphrasing below):

A new album is something I would 'not' buy (>>?). I had to read this twice in thinking .. Ummmmm wait a minute here ... did he say he ..'wouldn't'.. consider buying it??

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 11, 2019 05:12

IanBillen
DandelionPowderman

They certainly are. While they are loved .. their true die-hards can be really
tough on them.

Hence .. (and I am paraphrasing below):

A new album is something I would 'not' buy (>>?). I had to read this twice in thinking .. Ummmmm wait a minute here ... did he say he ..'wouldn't'.. consider buying it??

Their US album sales went this way since Voodoo Lounge:

VL: 2.3 million
B2B: 1.3 m
ABB: 600k
B&L: 350k

Where is the news with the lack of interest in their new material?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 11, 2019 05:45

Tonstone
Mick knows there is no money in releasing a new studio album that will get Negative press and would hamper Live concert ticket sales on the Never Ending No Filter Tour

Why would releasing a new album for $20 hamper Live concert ticket sales? Ridiculous

Rod

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 11, 2019 06:28

bitusa2012
Tonstone
Mick knows there is no money in releasing a new studio album that will get Negative press and would hamper Live concert ticket sales on the Never Ending No Filter Tour

Why would releasing a new album for $20 hamper Live concert ticket sales? Ridiculous

They could give a copy of the album away to people who purchase a ticket to one of their shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 07:13 by TornAndFried.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...400401402403404405406407408409410...LastNext
Current Page: 405 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2051
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home