Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...399400401402403404405406407408409...LastNext
Current Page: 404 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 8, 2019 20:23

doitywoik

Judging from what one can read at times, Jane Rose's job appears to be situated rather in the latter department. Like, making sure Keith doesn't miss his appointments by more than six hours, catches his flights, and packs a spare pair of socks and panties, etc.

Love her or hate her, Jane Rose is a world class manager which is why her company is based at William Morris. If you want an interview or meeting with Keith, you go through her. She limits access to Keith. She helps shape the public perception of Keith. She has done her job amazingly well where Keith is concerned. It may have made life hell for Mick a good chunk of the time the last few decades, but Jane has been worth every dollar to Keith. She looks out for and serves her client well and has negotiated tremendous deals for him across different media. The fact that Keith makes everything he does look natural and simply a result of hanging out with friends, no airs since he's a man of the people, is all part of the image Jane helps protect and helps him project. Without Jane, Keith would have been lost.

And no, I don't particularly like her, I just respect the job she does.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 8, 2019 21:11

I have no oppinion w.r.t. Jane in terms of whether or not I like her. I never met her, etc. so I have no basis for a judgement of her as a person. I guess - as you also said - that she is invaluable to Keith, otherwise she wouldn't take care of his business for several decades now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-08 21:12 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2019 21:20

doitywoik
Putting the ablum together like pieces of a puzzle sounds a bit like condensing the 40+ song (not to forget the three dynamite riffs) by making to or three songs (or sketches of songs) into one. Like, this piece here makes a good verse, any piece anywhere that might serve as the chorus (and some snippets for the middle eight)?

Hopefully this won't become the blueprint for any future bands attempting to make a new album. God forbid if it did - we'd live in silent world with nothing but vague echoes bouncing off of a wall.

Date: December 8, 2019 22:10

...but think of the uptick in message board activity...

Date: December 8, 2019 22:20

Oh yeah, let's consider this thread as a few genuine pieces of a large puzzle. Now if we complement it with bits and pieces from other threads, we'll make 500 posts in no time! LOL

Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2019 01:08

Rocky Dijon
LazarusSmith
I'm sure that there is a perfectly acceptable slice of the multiverse in which these views holds sway. In my little corner of space-time however:

--BOTH Mick and Keith wanted to release an album of originals
--BOTH agreed to work on and release a blues album once the sessions broke down
--AFTER the release of B&L, there's no evidence to suggest that Keith's preference was to release a 2nd album of blues covers instead of an album of originals
--In 1968, Mick's "King Bee" comment represents the depth of his acknowledgement of the sanctity of those blues masters both he and Keith revere -- why would anyone prefer their version to the original, anyway?
--In their bones, both Mick and Keith know that they have about as much in common musically, spiritually, and culturally with Robert Johnson as Donny Osmond does with Duke Ellington.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to invite you, Gaslight, lem motlow, and hopkins over for dinner.

I go to the Florida Keys for a week and this thing jumps over 400 pages? I thought my instructions were perfectly hazy back around 394 or so - that this wasn't to get to 400 before 2020!!!

Date: December 9, 2019 01:33

Your post galvanized the board.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: December 9, 2019 05:53

404 pages of guessing, wishin', and speculation. Wake me up when a real announcement is made. smileys with beer

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: December 9, 2019 06:18

Probably be 800 pages by the time the new album is eventually released.

Date: December 9, 2019 06:20

StonedAsiaExile
Wake me up when a real announcement is made. smileys with beer

Want to be the next Rip Van Winkle? LOL

Hairball
doitywoik
Putting the ablum together like pieces of a puzzle sounds a bit like condensing the 40+ songs (not to forget the three dynamite riffs) by making two or three songs (or sketches of songs) into one. Like, this piece here makes a good verse, any piece anywhere that might serve as the chorus (and some snippets for the middle eight)?

Hopefully this won't become the blueprint for any future bands attempting to make a new album. God forbid if it did - we'd live in silent world with nothing but vague echoes bouncing off of a wall.

Well, modern bands don't do that themselves any longer, they've got respective software and extrapolations based on consumer polls … only old-fashioned guys like the Stones would still do this personally over some bleeding noses …

More seriously, it depends very much on what Ronnie actually said. The puzzle allegory might as well just indicate that it's hard for them to choose the right songs. Although, just choosing the right songs for all those years … doesn't sound too likely either (brickwall or not).

Less unlikely might be a reaction to the new album, once it's there, like "What in hell did take them so long to come up with THAT?"

Date: December 9, 2019 07:51

Rocky Dijon
doitywoik

Judging from what one can read at times, Jane Rose's job appears to be situated rather in the latter department. Like, making sure Keith doesn't miss his appointments by more than six hours, catches his flights, and packs a spare pair of socks and panties, etc.

Love her or hate her, Jane Rose is a world class manager which is why her company is based at William Morris. If you want an interview or meeting with Keith, you go through her. She limits access to Keith. She helps shape the public perception of Keith. She has done her job amazingly well where Keith is concerned. It may have made life hell for Mick a good chunk of the time the last few decades, but Jane has been worth every dollar to Keith. She looks out for and serves her client well and has negotiated tremendous deals for him across different media. The fact that Keith makes everything he does look natural and simply a result of hanging out with friends, no airs since he's a man of the people, is all part of the image Jane helps protect and helps him project. Without Jane, Keith would have been lost.

And no, I don't particularly like her, I just respect the job she does.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the words of Doxa "I curse Jane Rose what she has done to the Rolling Stones fans" [iorr.org]

In my own words, I curse what she has done to Keith Richards

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2019 08:06

Mick and Keith know that they have about as much in common musically, spiritually, and culturally with Robert Johnson as Donny Osmond does with Duke Ellington.

Heck Laz ya could say the same about
Presley and Crudup ---- Dylan and Guthrie --- …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: torontostoner ()
Date: December 9, 2019 14:41

Does anyone else feel that B&L was a great warmup for a new album? IMO they should have stayed in the studio until a Stones album emerged. They were clearly enjoying those studio sessions by all accounts.

If they are piecing together this "puzzle", that could be the problem. Stop digging into the piles of archived material...and start fresh! (without any influence from their solo projects). Just Mick & Keith

At this point, I'd actually welcome a new album over a tour...at least for now.
How great would it be to get excited about new songs. I'm still hopeful!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 9, 2019 17:40

Has there been any newer infos regarding the supposed Dec.2019 sessions?

Word about it was long ago. I doubt there was/is any work at all end of this year.
But would be nice if they secretly do some sessions.

Date: December 9, 2019 17:43

Nothing confirmed yet. Mick, Ronnie, and Don Was were together last month in London for Ronnie's documentary screening when rumors said the band were recording (but in Los Angeles). Right now we wait and see.

Date: December 9, 2019 17:47

wanderingspirit66

In the words of Doxa "I curse Jane Rose what she has done to the Rolling Stones fans" [iorr.org]

In my own words, I curse what she has done to Keith Richards

Doxa is unquestionably one of the best and brightest we have. I understand what he means. I understand what you mean. Blaming Jane Rose for it is like blaming Darryl or Chuck or Don Was. They do the job they're paid to do. Replace Jane's name with Keith's and you're at least being honest about where the blame belongs. What's good for an individual, isn't always good for a group. That's true of both Keith and Mick. Both of them have made choices that did considerable damage. At this late stage, it's not something to be undone, it's just something that happened and is now part of history.

Date: December 9, 2019 17:52

Considering the fact that B&L was recorded 4 years ago it's a pretty long time between the warmup and the main event.

What B&L certainly shows IMO is that they can still do good work in a short time if&when they agree on what to do.

If the new album (of originals) would already be there had they stayed in the studio, who knows? Perhaps it was what Keith hoped for, the way I remember (some of) his remarks back then. But they're beyond the age when they would just hang around in a studio for two more months if things don't work out at once. There won't be an EOMS recording situation again.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 9, 2019 20:06

If next Tour will start in mid June, they could finish the new album in February/March with some session and mixing

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 9, 2019 20:45

mailexile67
If next Tour will start in mid June, they could finish the new album in February/March with some session and mixing

There is a lot of things they "could do" if they had the motivation and commitment to actually finish this album. It is not a high priority for Mick or Keith so it remains as it is....unfinished.

Date: December 9, 2019 20:55

So, why they've spoken about a "new album" in the last four years?!Why Mick has posted himself playing guitar and singin'new stuff?!That's messed up...eye rolling smileythumbs down

Date: December 9, 2019 21:00

I think that new album will come out next year with a brand new Tour that will continue till 2023

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 9, 2019 22:36

Rolling Stones incomplete album

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 9, 2019 22:43

mailexile67
So, why they've spoken about a "new album" in the last four years?!Why Mick has posted himself playing guitar and singin'new stuff?!That's messed up...eye rolling smileythumbs down

The more I think about it, the likelier I find the scenario that the "new album of original material" was never planned to be finished and released "as quick as possible" like in the old days.

It looks more like they approach the "new album" like they approach touring these days: Devote only a limited period of time each year to work. No more tours longer than roughly 3 months a year. For studio work: 2 or 3 songs every year are enough to have a complete album in a couple of years, probably with their 60th Anniversary in mind right from the start.

But while everybody understands they cut back touring considering their age, it's obviously hard for people to accept that they just don't want to spend weeks or months in a studio to complete a new album anymore. "Take it easy, babe! Monthlong studio sessions? Deadlines? No, forget it! A couple of days here and a couple of days there for studio work each year - well, that's ok! 2 or 3 songs each year are enough and will add up to an album in a couple of years!"

I think that the above scenario is more or less exactly what's actually going on. And I can imagine the band really laughing their asses off when they come here and see fans like us filling 400+ pages with speculations about internal fights & major drifts between the band's songwriters, writer's blocks and whatever...
...while Mick's short video clips seem to look like signals to say "Don't worry people, everything's ok! We're working, but we take our time..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 22:46 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2019 23:21

From interview with Clash Magazine publsihed Feb. 2018 almost two years ago.

Charlie: "We did another set of sessions for the new album, and another set of sessions, so I don't know where the new album is now, do you"?

Charlie looks at Ronnie who anxiously changes the subject: "No! All I know is we got a nice shock to find out Blue and Lonesome earned a Grammy".

So while Charlie was thinking the album should have been finished a long time ago (and who can blame him),
Ronnie knew it was a complicated quagmire/puzzle even back then and didn't want to discuss any of it in the interview.
It seems clear the negative ramifications after hitting the wall were quite drastic as here we are two years later with no end in sight.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 10, 2019 00:00

What exactly has Jane Rose done to us?
My understanding is that she just helps Keith look after his 'brand', which Keith himself began developing in that Rolling Stone interview in 1969. And the Keith brand works in tandem with the Rolling Stones brand.

Date: December 10, 2019 00:22

retired_dog
mailexile67

The more I think about it, the likelier I find the scenario that the "new album of original material" was never planned to be finished and released "as quick as possible" like in the old days.

It looks more like they approach the "new album" like they approach touring these days: Devote only a limited period of time each year to work. No more tours longer than roughly 3 months a year. For studio work: 2 or 3 songs every year are enough to have a complete album in a couple of years, probably with their 60th Anniversary in mind right from the start.

But while everybody understands they cut back touring considering their age, it's obviously hard for people to accept that they just don't want to spend weeks or months in a studio to complete a new album anymore. "Take it easy, babe! Monthlong studio sessions? Deadlines? No, forget it! A couple of days here and a couple of days there for studio work each year - well, that's ok! 2 or 3 songs each year are enough and will add up to an album in a couple of years!"

I think that the above scenario is more or less exactly what's actually going on. And I can imagine the band really laughing their asses off when they come here and see fans like us filling 400+ pages with speculations about internal fights & major drifts between the band's songwriters, writer's blocks and whatever...
...while Mick's short video clips seem to look like signals to say "Don't worry people, everything's ok! We're working, but we take our time..."

They must have started round 1999, then, since they have 40 songs? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-10 00:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 10, 2019 00:29

wonderboy

Helped create Keith Camps and Mick Camps at a basic level. Encourage far worse behavior in imitation of Keith's worst behavior.

Happily I don't think any of us tried to be a pirate, laughed incessantly when talking to acquaintances and strangers, dangled weird shit that was tied to our hair, snorted a family member's ashes, or grew a really sickly-looking mustache that appeared to be a caterpillar that died a few weeks ago.

However, the rest of it really has been adopted as regular behavior. Blame Darwin for pointing out we're all just a bunch of imitative chimps.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: December 10, 2019 00:31

okokok i now have a 2nd theory.

my 1st theory was that there's a lot of new material and it's bad so they're not releasing it. i know, it's a complicated one, but hey it's all i got ... until now:

my second theory is that mick and keith a smart guys and they are proud guys. they have seen how NO ONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD OUTSIDE A FEW BOOMERS ON MSG BOARDS cares about new music from neil young, the who, paul mccartney, whoever. they've never been a van morrison in it for the artistry buncha dudes - they're entertainers, always have been. so being smart guys why would they subject themselves to the ignominy of releasing something that gets 5 stars on rolling stone mag dot com and that everyone forgets in a week?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 10, 2019 00:41

Rocky Dijon
wonderboy

Helped create Keith Camps and Mick Camps at a basic level. Encourage far worse behavior in imitation of Keith's worst behavior.

Happily I don't think any of us tried to be a pirate, laughed incessantly when talking to acquaintances and strangers, dangled weird shit that was tied to our hair, snorted a family member's ashes, or grew a really sickly-looking mustache that appeared to be a caterpillar that died a few weeks ago.

However, the rest of it really has been adopted as regular behavior. Blame Darwin for pointing out we're all just a bunch of imitative chimps.

smiling smiley
I'm guessing she a) kept him from being steamrolled by Mick, b) helped him keep his passport current, and c) set up those interesting side things he's did -- the Chuck Berry movie, the solo records, even just showing up every now and then to play live with people like Willie Nelson. In short, kept him alive, because 'Keef' gives Keith something to live for.
I actually think that in our current state of woke political correctness that Keith's general weirdness and 'do I look like a give a @#$%&' attitude is becoming endearing again.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 10, 2019 01:02

wonderboy
Rocky Dijon
wonderboy

smiling smiley
I'm guessing she a) kept him from being steamrolled by Mick, b) helped him keep his passport current, and c) set up those interesting side things he's did -- the Chuck Berry movie, the solo records, even just showing up every now and then to play live with people like Willie Nelson. In short, kept him alive, because 'Keef' gives Keith something to live for.
I actually think that in our current state of woke political correctness that Keith's general weirdness and 'do I look like a give a @#$%&' attitude is becoming endearing again.

not universally

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...399400401402403404405406407408409...LastNext
Current Page: 404 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home