Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...397398399400401402403404405406407...LastNext
Current Page: 402 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 6, 2019 00:53

Rocky Dijon
Jody is his son actually (unless you meant Robin, if so - apologies) and I don't think there's been a book or will be. Jody might not be his Dad, but they're a family that likes to keep relatively low profiles. Think of Belushi talking to himself in the mirror as Ron Decline in THE RUTLES ("I want to protect you from people like me").

There is a book by Fred Goodman

[www.amazon.com]

It's actually a fairly balanced account....well worth a read.
Yes, Eric Easton (surely his real name?) has been airbrushed out. Yet he was a very important figure 1963/65. Bill, whose views I would respect, certainly had a lot of time for him (compared to Oldham and Klein).
Re Mick and Keith's relationship: Nobody had bigger egos than John and Paul, yet they didn't let that affect their output in 1968/69 when matters were bad between them. The Stones have none of the 'external' conflicts eg business, wives, management etc that the Fab 4 had to deal with at that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-06 00:55 by jlowe.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 6, 2019 01:00

Keith's only power in this relationship now is that he can say no.
Otherwise, we'd have a Jagger-Clifford type album with some Keith riffs sprinkled in. But Keith doesn't want to do that.
When Mick and Keith wrote songs in hotel rooms and their country houses, they were terrific. They worked fast, coming up with many ideas.
Keith got bogged down on heroin and they stopped hanging out together, so then they started writing the songs in the studio. Mick Taylor has stated that Mick found it extremely difficult to finish the records in this period. They seemed to work more quickly in the SG days. But after WW3, they had to make appointments to work together.
These days I don't think Mick even wants to be in the studio with Keith.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 6, 2019 01:21

I'm shocked at how many "experts' we have here on the current inner workings of the current Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2019 01:29

…. Yeah Ket …. just thinkin' the same thang …
Marvelous how the know whats happenin in the stones camp ...HHHaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 6, 2019 01:41

All we can do is play detective with the evidence provided by others. It's all speculation. Even when someone present in the Stones camp shares info, it doesn't mean that's what really happened. Two people will differ giving facts about a crime or accident they witnessed. Same thing here, but it's fun to speculate and, to me at least, it beats throwing a tantrum saying "It's December 6th and there's still no album!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-06 01:42 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 6, 2019 01:46

Ket
I'm shocked at how many "experts' we have here on the current inner workings of the current Rolling Stones.

I think we have many knowledgeable Stones fans here, including some experts (not me.)
Most of us know enough of the basic facts to make pretty reasonable speculation.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 6, 2019 02:50

You don't have to be an expert or an insider to know Mick brings in finished songs that Keith doesn't want to overdub guitar parts onto anymore; and that Keith wants to spend time jamming away endlessly until something comes down his antenna, something Mick doesn't seem to have the patience to do anymore.

So, it's an impasse.

I think Mick never should have let the others listen to his demos. Mick should have just pretended to bring in the germ an "unfinished" song, let Keith hammer away at the idea for a few days, then Mick could "suggest" something to add to it (something he's already written well before the fact). Keith might be fooled into thinking that Mick came up with the addition on the spot and that they were "writing" the song together.

What else can they do? Bring in other songwriters, maybe let Matt Clifford or Ron Wood or Steve Jordan get a co-writing credit on a couple of tracks? But Mick and Keith seem to be planning the grand finale of the Jagger/Richards songwriting career but just can't seem to get on the same page. I listen to Blue & Lonesome and can't help but wonder what they sounded like recording the new material.

I'm not an expert or an insider. There's nothing I would rather do than be proven wrong, and tomorrow there would be an announcement of a double album of all killer tracks and grand plans for a live show of the Rolling Stones playing their new album in its entirety.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 6, 2019 02:56

Rocky D, thanks for the take on the history up there.

And I love the last part of your post. I wonder who is paying this fellow of Alternative Nation to publish his pasted-together, lifted quotes (some from here) and made up filler? How does he get this junk on all our phones?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2019 03:10

Your'e concrete Bill …
I was just laughing at
some of the other piss & wind …..

ROCKMAN

Date: December 6, 2019 03:44

jahisnotdead
Mick and Keith seem to be planning the grand finale of the Jagger/Richards songwriting career but just can't seem to get on the same page. I listen to Blue & Lonesome and can't help but wonder what they sounded like recording the new material.

I'm not a believer we're going to get a classic for the ages, but I think we'll get a solid album yet. Ronnie's remark earlier this year about letting "them get their Jagger/Richards chemistry back" coupled with Keith's remark early this year about it "not being about writing so much as listening to what has been written" are probably the two most insightful remarks that have slipped out.

Ian had a very good point about suggesting that Keith's remark could refer to the mixing stage. Keith has in the past spent many months tinkering with mixes. It's also possible that the listening is thinking about what he could add to what Mick has already worked up. In the past two decades, we know there's been a fair amount of overdubbing guitar parts and calling it a day or maybe adding a descending melody line to vary the song ("Let Me Down Slow").

Allegedly, this time Keith has been reworking Mick's demos by contributing new ideas that took the songs in different directions. Somewhere over the past couple years, Keith stated he had just called Mick to discuss a song they were getting ready to record together. That sounds like that is exactly the case. It sounds like Keith is actually working at connecting with Mick instead of existing as two separate creative poles in one band.

The individual I've talked to who or may not have reliable information at least some of the time had indicated that a year or so ago there was a conversation that went along the lines of Keith proposing he go off and actually see what he could do to make Mick's songs better and Mick had responded that was his intention all along but that Keith never wants to put forth the effort. I don't know if the conversation actually occurred, I certainly didn't hear it, but if it did it rather speaks volumes about the limited communication that something so basic was misunderstood for so long.

However, if there is actually give and take going on as Keith retreats with Steve Jordan and then Mick joins them and then the whole band gathers, as awkward as it might seem from the outside and painfully slow as a process, at least it's actual collaboration.

Maybe it took Matt Clifford getting a publishing deal and issuing a press release stating now he'll receive full credit on his work with Mick and with The Stones to make this happen. There's nothing like threatening the all-important Jagger/Richards lock on royalties to wake people up.

If they truly stick to finishing the album before touring, that's great. It's what definitely needs to happen since it seems very hard to get everyone together for whatever reason. There's rumblings there was some studio time already in November. There's rumblings it might be going on this month. Let's see what we hear before everyone breaks for the holidays. In the end, we're all fans and want them to deliver.

Date: December 6, 2019 03:53

angee
And I love the last part of your post. I wonder who is paying this fellow of Alternative Nation to publish his pasted-together, lifted quotes (some from here) and made up filler? How does he get this junk on all our phones?

I know it's the internet and not a private club, but I post what I do here because I love the site and the people. IORRians are family. Since I also write semi-professionally as a hobby, it pissed me off to see me quoted on a site that issues headlines like KEITH RICHARDS' DAUGHTER SHARES PHOTO OF HER DAD DRUNK OFF HIS ASS and I click on the story and it's a flashback to Keith and Bowie at Tina Turner's party in 1983 with a photo Bob Gruen took that I've seen dozens of times. No one looks drunk, there's no mention of Keith's daughter, but the poorly written text turns into quotes from a conversation on IORR about the new album mixed with a real quote from Don Was.

WELL I SAID FROM THE FIRST, ALTERNATIVE NATION is THE WORST, KIND OF JOURNALISM, TO BE AROUND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-06 03:55 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 6, 2019 04:31

I also wanted to say thank you for your posts, Rocky. You really know your stuff, I've learned a lot. I hope you will consider writing a book.

Date: December 6, 2019 05:20

The world doesn't need another book of Stones speculation and gossip. Seriously. Thank you all the same. The next Stones book should be something that we can actually trust. Imagine the chapters of LIFE about Keith's childhood and if the same tone carried through the whole book or Charlie writing a book or Mick or anyone who truly knows them or knew them. That's what we need. We have this site if we just want to speculate and share gossip.

Now Mathijs or Dandy or a few others compiling a track by track listing of each session and commenting on who they thinks plays what and what makes it tick, now that's a book I'd buy dozens of copies of. Otherwise this site, Nico's site, and the other Ian's Time is on our Side site will do just fine when it comes to my Stones fix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-06 05:31 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 6, 2019 12:04

jahisnotdead
You don't have to be an expert or an insider to know Mick brings in finished songs that Keith doesn't want to overdub guitar parts onto anymore; and that Keith wants to spend time jamming away endlessly until something comes down his antenna, something Mick doesn't seem to have the patience to do anymore.

So, it's an impasse.

I think Mick never should have let the others listen to his demos. Mick should have just pretended to bring in the germ an "unfinished" song, let Keith hammer away at the idea for a few days, then Mick could "suggest" something to add to it (something he's already written well before the fact). Keith might be fooled into thinking that Mick came up with the addition on the spot and that they were "writing" the song together.

What else can they do? Bring in other songwriters, maybe let Matt Clifford or Ron Wood or Steve Jordan get a co-writing credit on a couple of tracks? But Mick and Keith seem to be planning the grand finale of the Jagger/Richards songwriting career but just can't seem to get on the same page. I listen to Blue & Lonesome and can't help but wonder what they sounded like recording the new material.

I'm not an expert or an insider. There's nothing I would rather do than be proven wrong, and tomorrow there would be an announcement of a double album of all killer tracks and grand plans for a live show of the Rolling Stones playing their new album in its entirety.

On surface, this surely looks like a nice idea. But in reality - doesn't it resemble a bored housewife pretending orgasms while bonking her husband? I mean, even the dumbest of husbands will check sooner or later that he's fooled. And I consider Keith as an extremeley intelligent person. "Fooled again by Mick - and I don't like it!"

If I were Mick, I would try another route: I would donate a full month of my precious time to spend time in the studio with the band to have Keith his way. If the outcome would be anything worthwile, not to speak of another classic Stones album or at least a handful of classic Stones tracks, fine. If the month together would lead to nothing, then - fine, that's it for once and for all time, either we do it my way now - working on stuff I prepared to save time and money - or let's simply forget it. We're done with any studio work. Let's enjoy playing live as long as we can and counting the incoming cash. And let's concentrate on our archives from now on instead of trying to re-light the fire that went out already decades ago.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-06 22:25 by retired_dog.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 6, 2019 13:06

Sticky again?

Date: December 6, 2019 13:36

peoplewitheyes
Sticky again?

Every once in while, when new rumours are floating the insiders.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 6, 2019 14:38

More than 400 pages! Congratulations. I hope I am excused for not reading them, but hey, I applaud the effort.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 6, 2019 14:51

The stats of this thread are more informative than anything in it

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 6, 2019 15:45

Rocky Dijon
And if ALTERNATIVE NATION quotes chunks of this in their amateurish click-bait news articles that keep turning up on my cell phone, please include the remark that ALTERNATIVE NATION makes WEEKLY WORLD NEWS look like THE WALL STREET JOURNAL.

The Rolling Stones Fan's Savage Disrespect Revealed In Brutal Message

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 6, 2019 17:39

wonderboy
Ket

I think we have many knowledgeable Stones fans here, including some experts (not me.)
Most of us know enough of the basic facts to make pretty reasonable speculation.
... and also a lot of imagination!You know very well that the forum is full of Keith fans and Mick fans, objectivity is something else.

Posted by: LERIFFHUMAIN ()
Date: December 6, 2019 18:12

Hi everybody

I just think stones are like all of us, they get old and keith seems to be the most touched by his past .... On some concerts I have the impression that he is absent from time and at other times he has lights of genius (and yet I prefer Keith by far to Jagger).

I also think that Keith because of his aging, seems less inspired than Jagger to create new material. I hope there will be a new album and that they also accumulate songs for other albums when they are too old to turn. Unfortunately, I think reasonably that the road will come to an end pretty quickly with our old stones.

Posted by: LERIFFHUMAIN ()
Date: December 6, 2019 18:12

Hi everybody

I just think stones are like all of us, they get old and keith seems to be the most touched by his past .... On some concerts I have the impression that he is absent from time and at other times he has lights of genius (and yet I prefer Keith by far to Jagger).

I also think that Keith because of his aging, seems less inspired than Jagger to create new material. I hope there will be a new album and that they also accumulate songs for other albums when they are too old to turn. Unfortunately, I think reasonably that the road will come to an end pretty quickly with our old stones.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 6, 2019 18:14

I think we would all concur that most of their best work was recorded when they were virtually holed up together in Olympic Studios or a big old house in France for weeks on end without a clean pair of socks.

...and that scenario isn't going to be repeated today

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-06 18:22 by Spud.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 6, 2019 18:35

maybe we should be careful what we wish for regarding a new stones record. see: the new who record.

Date: December 6, 2019 18:39

Spud
I think we would all concur that most of their best work was recorded when they were virtually holed up together in Olympic Studios or a big old house in France for weeks on end without a clean pair of socks.

That's the romantic view of things... The cold & imo probably more realistic view is that most of their best work was recorded when they were young, full of energy & vision, were under pressure to prove something and had strict timelines to follow and tough deadlines to meet.

Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 6, 2019 19:26

Bungo
I'm sure no one will believe this but I'm gonna lay it out there anyway :

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

Bungo we miss you!!! I'm still hoping that your story it's true!!
Anyway, do you have some news from your source?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-06 19:33 by KRiffhard.

Date: December 6, 2019 19:34

Spud
I think we would all concur that most of their best work was recorded when they were virtually holed up together ia big old house in France for weeks on end.

Oh, you mean A BIGGER BANG. No, they're not recording that way this time.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 6, 2019 19:36

retired_dog
jahisnotdead

So, it's an impasse.

On surface, this surely looks like a nice idea. But in reality - doesn't it resemble a bored housewife pretending orgams while bonking her husband? I mean, even the dumbest of husbands will check sooner or later that he's fooled. And I consider Keith as an extremeley intelligent person. "Fooled again by Mick - and I don't like it!"

If I were Mick, I would try another route: I would donate a full month of my precious time to spend time in the studio with the band to have Keith his way. If the outcome would be anything worthwile, not to speak of another classic Stones album or at least a handful of classic Stones tracks, fine. If the month together would lead to nothing, then - fine, that's it for once and for all time, either we do it my way now - working on stuff I prepared to save time and money - or let's simply forget it. We're done with any studio work. Let's enjoy playing live as long as we can and counting the incoming cash. And let's concentrate on our archives from now on instead of trying to re-light the fire that went out already decades ago.

There was an old quote from Mick from maybe 20 years ago or so where he says (to paraphrase): "Keith will say no just for the sake of saying no" - in other words he can be a jerk in the studio even if it's the greatest idea Mick has ever come up with.
Mick probably realizes donating a full month of his precious time is pointless when he knows he has to deal with stubborn/closed minded Keith; Getta Grip/England Lost seems to be a result of that personality/ego clash. On the other hand, Keith probably feels left out of the loop when Mick comes in armed with 40 demos he worked on with outsiders, and probably feels the ideas are diluted facsimiles of the Stones as a band. Seems the only time they really enjoy each other is when they're on stage, and thankfully they continue to share that limited friendship. Waiting for the next tour announcement which should lighten up everyone's day - especially when this new album has been floating in the doldrums for what seems eternity now.

Best case scenario would be new album followed by a new tour for 2020, but realistically I think it will be a new tour in 2020 followed by more work on the new album for as long as it takes.
Could be a couple of more years at this rate, and would coincide with the 60th anniversary as has been mentioned...not that long of a wait in the big picture.

Date: December 6, 2019 19:54

retired_dog
That's the romantic view of things... The cold & imo probably more realistic view is that most of their best work was recorded when they were young, full of energy & vision, were under pressure to prove something and had strict timelines to follow and tough deadlines to meet.

Very true. Most seemed to be divided between doubting it will ever see the light of day or believing it will be the next TATTOO YOU / SOME GIRLS / STICKY FINGERS. Neither extreme seems realistic to me.

I'm hoping for a last album that has some tracks I'll really enjoy. I also expect there will be some that I'm less enamored of that I'll wish they'd spent more time chasing down better lyrics or a more inventive backing track or better solos or a better vocal.

What's more, I'm resolved to the fact that some of the tracks I'll enjoy will be detested by many here and some of the tracks I'm unhappy with will be held up as examples of what others think should be the keepers if only they had cut out the filler and released a 32 minute CD.

These same folks will also buy the deluxe edition with hardcover book of photos with liner notes by Don Was calling the album the freshest thing they've cut since OUT OF OUR HEADS; magic marker lithographs of the session log courtesy of Ronnie (not everyone appreciated the nude doodle of Sally in the margin, Ronnie); the CD with a limited edition silk screened golden tongue logo embossed on the exclusive cardboard packaging, the brickwalled vinyl double album, some guitar picks Pierre found on the floor, random objects that fell out of Keith's hair, and a framed print of the proper album art for HINDSIGHT showing a rear view of a crouched over nubile young female in short-shorts that sadly elicits both crack jokes and condemnation for politically incorrect marketing. At least one person will say it was worth more than the $500 they paid for it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 6, 2019 21:55

Rocky Dijon
These same folks will also buy the deluxe edition with [..]
Nope, not all of "us"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...397398399400401402403404405406407...LastNext
Current Page: 402 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1664
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50