Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...393394395396397398399400401402403...LastNext
Current Page: 398 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2019 23:20

Imagine if they covered another Beatles tune in the studio for the new album...would be a nice way to bookend their recording career.
Maybe Come Together which no doubt would be better than how they played it at Desert Trip, then again nothing they do could compare to the Beatles/Lennon version.
Aerosmith already butchered it - the last thing we need to hear is the Stones butchering it.

Wondering if there will be any cover tunes at all? Blues, country, motown, reggae, etc.....they've done some decent covers in the past.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 1, 2019 23:21

django
And please .... no "baby baby baby, honey honey honey" lyrics by Keith eye rolling smiley

That is, no Keith song(s)? grinning smiley

Erik_Snow
MY dream is an album with Schlager music.

eye popping smiley Special guest: Helene Fischer? Aw, Erik, you're so cruel! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 1, 2019 23:24

doitywoik
Erik_Snow
MY dream is an album with Schlager music.
eye popping smiley Special guest: Helene Fischer? Aw, Erik, you're so cruel! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Too modern! Remember, Stones are way past 70 years old. Is Bata Illac still performing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-01 23:25 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 1, 2019 23:32

Dang! You're right! - OK, let's say, not Helene Fischer but Katja Ebstein, and Bata Illic singing harmonies, supported by the Jacob Sisters. There's three of them left, so put their three dogs on the cover and call the whole thing Three Dog Night ... tongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 1, 2019 23:46

Could be a success, especially on that medley that'd feature 20 sec of some of their biggest hits.
....and if they did a tour to follow the album; they'd do that medley (in Schlager formula) on one of them stages that goes round and round WITH them guest stars. But I'd a little frightened about Jagger feeling that Bata Illic is stealing the show

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: December 2, 2019 00:27

Rocky Dijon
Hairball
No wonder Mick and Keith are having trouble being on the same page - one thinks he's Peter Pan, while the other chooses to age gracefully.
It's been evident for years now as far as original songwriting goes, and the only common denominator they have left is old blues tunes - yet even Mick seemed hesitant/reluctant/sheepish to go down that route.

Mick is certainly Peter Pan. I don't really understand how one thinks Captain Hook is an example of growing old gracefully. They're both "Lost Boys." That friction makes up their chemistry when they get it right.

Mick was hesitant to record a blues album? Let's see...Mick records a blues album for Atlantic with The Red Devils. The same year he organizes and headlines a blues festival in England and plays a blues set backed by Gary Moore's Midnight Blues Band, invites Ronnie and Charlie to join them, and records the set for potential release as well.

Mick and the rest of the Stones cut a track with B. B. King a few years later and, also during these sessions that produced B2B, he and Keith cut a few tracks with Jimmy Rogers.

In 2007 when unearthing a track from The Red Devils album, Mick makes it known that if his solo anthology sells well enough, Rhino/Atlantic will release The Red Devils set. He also makes the b-side with Gary Moore available again as a download.

When working on the SOME GIRLS deluxe edition, Mick notes he's been writing a lot of blues lately. When the band reconvenes for rehearsals in December 2011, they play a lot of Chess blues. Mick then plays a set of blues at The White House in the same week that Keith plays a set of blues at The Apollo and Ronnie plays a set of blues in London. All as a lead-up to putting the band back together in 2012. They cut BLUE AND LONESOME in Knopfler's award-winning studio acclaimed for its refurbished retro consoles.

To my thinking, believing Mick was reluctant to make BLUE AND LONESOME seems absolutely the wrong conclusion to draw from all of this.

that history doesn't fit the narrative of jagger the dabbling dilettante and keith the rocksteady heart of the band ... and so that history needs be elided ...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 2, 2019 00:29

Almost to four hundred pages about an album that doesn't exist! Go, go!

Date: December 2, 2019 00:58

Seems a no-brainer that Mick would have preferred the band finish and release an album of originals vs. a blues covers album, while Keith on the other hand was ready and willing to do a Blue and Lonesome pt. II.
Mick made his feelings clear way back when by saying: " We didn’t want to do blues forever...what’s the point in listening to us doing “I’m A King Bee” when you can listen to Slim Harpo doing it"?
And the Red Devils project has never seen the light of day (except for one track buried on a compilation), so yeah there seems to be some hesitation when Mick is involved with the blues.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 2, 2019 01:49

24FPS

The album doesn't exist? Do albums just spontaneously appear one day or are works-in-progress insufficient evidence of the creative process? This would appear to open the door to a deep philosophical debate on what constitutes a creative work. That must be worth another 1000 pages at least.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 2, 2019 01:52

The Rolling Stones do not exist except for a couple of hours here and there

Date: December 2, 2019 02:39

If none of us ever hears them (which at this point seems a reality), do any of Mick's 40 demos he was armed with at the beginning of the sessions even exist?
And not counting Getta Grip/ England Lost, but what about all the new ones he's written since then? By his own account, he's quite prolific and writes every day.
Yes a snippet here and there via twitter might be confirmation they exist, but are they actually complete songs?
Seems at one point he (and the band) were gung ho to record a new album of originals, and then the wall.....

Date: December 2, 2019 03:43

For that matter, where are Keith's three dynamite riffs? How come he was able to give us CROSSEYED HEART but nothing since? Do Keith's ideas exist? Does CROSSEYED HEART not count the same way Mick's 2017 solo tracks don't count? I suppose so using the same logic.

From my perspective, it's not mutually exclusive concepts. Mick the Peter Pan character who wants to stay current is also Mick who loves the blues and loves country music.

It's a bit like fans who pigeonhole Brian Jones as the blues purist. It ignores Brian the multi-instrumentalist who brought dulcimer, sitar, and marimbas to add color to their arrangements. It ignores Brian the guy who fell in love with Moroccan folk music and wanted to bring that to bear on the band. It ignores Brian who loved and immersed himself in the trippiness of psychedelic pop.

Likewise Keith the roots rocker, the bluesy elder statesman, the kindred spirit of Merle Haggard and George Jones is the same Keith who co-wrote and produced and played on a song for Somali rapper K'naan in 2012. The same Keith who stood up for Justin Timberlake to be respected onstage as a fellow entertainer during the Stones gig in Toronto in 2003. The same Keith who repeatedly mentions Ed Sheeran as someone he thinks is very talented.

The images of any of them have truth of course, but they are all multi-faceted people and not as simple as images suggest. Anyone who's been a multi-millionaire for over half a century really isn't a man of the people no matter how often you see them in a leather jacket and decked out with chains and a switchblade. The most convincing actor is still acting.

{thanks for the correction, Hairball!}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-02 03:58 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 2, 2019 03:54

*Justine Timberlake, 2003.

And if we were to count Crosseyed Heart and Mick's 2017 solo tracks, that pretty much spells out the differences between them these days.
Mick collaborating with Skepta, etc. and doing multiple state of the art remixes, while Keith is singing about illusion, suspicion, amnesia, trouble, and covering Lead Belly - not to mention a tune with "Blues" in the title.
And then there's Mick joining Taylor Swift on stage, while Keith is paying respects to Merry Clayton at the Apollo.

While they still might have some overlapping interests, the differences are glaring...more so now than ever.

Date: December 2, 2019 03:59

Hairball
Seems a no-brainer that Mick would have preferred the band finish and release an album of originals vs. a blues covers album, while Keith on the other hand was ready and willing to do a Blue and Lonesome pt. II.
Mick made his feelings clear way back when by saying: " We didn’t want to do blues forever...what’s the point in listening to us doing “I’m A King Bee” when you can listen to Slim Harpo doing it"?
And the Red Devils project has never seen the light of day (except for one track buried on a compilation), so yeah there seems to be some hesitation when Mick is involved with the blues.

I'm sure that there is a perfectly acceptable slice of the multiverse in which these views holds sway. In my little corner of space-time however:

--BOTH Mick and Keith wanted to release an album of originals
--BOTH agreed to work on and release a blues album once the sessions broke down
--AFTER the release of B&L, there's no evidence to suggest that Keith's preference was to release a 2nd album of blues covers instead of an album of originals
--In 1968, Mick's "King Bee" comment represents the depth of his acknowledgement of the sanctity of those blues masters both he and Keith revere -- why would anyone prefer their version to the original, anyway?
--In their bones, both Mick and Keith know that they have about as much in common musically, spiritually, and culturally with Robert Johnson as Donny Osmond does with Duke Ellington.

Date: December 2, 2019 04:02

LazarusSmith
I'm sure that there is a perfectly acceptable slice of the multiverse in which these views holds sway. In my little corner of space-time however:

--AFTER the release of B&L, there's no evidence to suggest that Keith's preference was to release a 2nd album of blues covers instead of an album of originals
--In 1968, Mick's "King Bee" comment represents the depth of his acknowledgement of the sanctity of those blues masters both he and Keith revere -- why would anyone prefer their version to the original, anyway?
--In their bones, both Mick and Keith know that they have about as much in common musically, spiritually, and culturally with Robert Johnson as Donny Osmond does with Duke Ellington.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to invite you, Gaslight, lem motlow, and hopkins over for dinner.

Date: December 2, 2019 04:14

I'll bring the Tempranillo; we'll let hoppy score the shrooms.

Date: December 2, 2019 04:50

LazarusSmith
Hairball

Interesting perspectives, and we all have our own.

Somewhere in this long thread, there is a quote from Keith talking about the desire to record a Blue and Lonesome pt. II.
Whether or not he wanted to do that over a new album of originals is unclear, though you're probably right that it was a plan B to the album of originals, i.e. if all else failed again, and they hit another wall.
And Who knows...maybe plan B will happen after all?

As for your last line, pretty sure Keith thinks he's a distant relative lol.

Date: December 2, 2019 05:10

Much as I enjoy taking the opposite side from Hairball, I do recall the Keith quote suggesting they should consider doing another BLUE AND LONESOME. And in fairness to the much missed Revvy Twennyredlights - he said it before Keith.

Date: December 2, 2019 06:19

Rocky Dijon
Much as I enjoy taking the opposite side from Hairball, I do recall the Keith quote suggesting they should consider doing another BLUE AND LONESOME. And in fairness to the much missed Revvy Twennyredlights - he said it before Keith.

Right but I was just reacting to the sub-text in HB's original post which posited Keith's fealty and commitment to "the blues" as being somehow ... stronger than Mick's. I don't think there's any evidence for that position and I further believe that given his druthers Keith would opt (naturally) for recording an album of original material (same as Mick).

(As a sidenote, none of their collective 7 solo albums features much in the way of covers at all ... perhaps neither of these dudes really gives a sh*t about the blues at all!)

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 2, 2019 06:29

24FPS

The bible is 1200 pages about a god that doesn't exist.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 2, 2019 08:30

django
Hairball
They could title it "And in the end..."

No title, just "The Rolling Stones" like the very first one. That would be cool.
And please .... no "baby baby baby, honey honey honey" lyrics by Keith eye rolling smiley

...or "na na na na na na na" by Mick!!

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: December 2, 2019 09:18

I don't have any expectations that this old new album will be great in any way.
It just takes too long. Things don't always grow with time. And if it was any good they would have released it years ago. Meanwhile it's boring boring boring.
Release it soon or leave it. As simple as that.

Date: December 2, 2019 14:36

z
24FPS

Be brave. Go pick on the Koran instead. Baiting the turn the other cheek crowd doesn't make you a tough guy. Meantime, this is supposed to be about whether or not the senior citizens will finish the album they started, not whether or not religion has any validity.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 2, 2019 14:36

Erik_Snow
Could be a success, especially on that medley that'd feature 20 sec of some of their biggest hits.
....and if they did a tour to follow the album; they'd do that medley (in Schlager formula) on one of them stages that goes round and round WITH them guest stars. But I'd a little frightened about Jagger feeling that Bata Illic is stealing the show

I believed Bata Illic was dead, but after checking the net I am able - with great relief - to announce that he's not, but still alive and kicking. So, yes, he would be available if Jagger overcomes his "stealing the show" fright.

Date: December 2, 2019 14:48

retired_dog
Erik_Snow

I believed Bata Illic was dead, but after checking the net I am able - with great relief - to announce that he's not, but still alive and kicking. So, yes, he would be available if Jagger overcomes his "stealing the show" fright.

Then there is still hope!!
To give us "hard core fans" value for our money, I'd suggest making "Da doo run run" being the main thingy of the medley, so it won't be warhorses only. Maybe 5 minutes of that one

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 2, 2019 15:12

Rocky Dijon
z
24FPS

Be brave. Go pick on the Koran instead. Baiting the turn the other cheek crowd doesn't make you a tough guy. Meantime, this is supposed to be about whether or not the senior citizens will finish the album they started, not whether or not religion has any validity.

Seems like You are the "tough guy" here... You got it all wrong.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 2, 2019 15:52

Erik_Snow
retired_dog
Erik_Snow

To give us "hard core fans" value for our money, I'd suggest making "Da doo run run" being the main thingy of the medley, so it won't be warhorses only. Maybe 5 minutes of that one

Good, even splendid idea! May I suggest a duet with Helene Fischer, despite her "modern aura" a duet on "Atemlos durch die Nacht" with an english title "Breathless Through The Night" could give them a long-lost "dangerous edge" again, in particular if all major chords are turned into minor plus Mick adding a "Gimme Shelter"-like harmonica part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-02 15:54 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: December 2, 2019 15:59

So whilst Ronnie is on tour, Mick and Keith are secretly finalizing the album? Any insights? And Charlie?

Date: December 2, 2019 16:01

retired_dog
Erik_Snow
retired_dog
Erik_Snow

Good, even splendid idea! May I suggest a duet with Helene Fischer, despite her "modern aura" a duet on "Atemlos durch die Nacht" with an english title "Breathless Through The Night" could give them a long-lost "dangerous edge" again, in particular if all major chords are turned into minor plus Mick adding a "Gimme Shelter"-like harmonica part.

Great call - and one more positive side about your suggestion; it would be a lot easier to persuade Jagger to make this magical concert happen, if Helene Fischer was there - because we all know Jagger like younger women (who doesn't?). Bata Illic may not be sufficient for him to *really* give his best performance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-02 17:06 by Erik_Snow.

Date: December 2, 2019 17:08

z
Seems like You are the "tough guy" here... You got it all wrong.

Sorry if I misunderstood your point then. That doesn't make me the tough guy, more the dumb guy.

I thought you were trying to get a rise out of people so my response was go pick on people who actually defend their beliefs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-02 17:10 by Rocky Dijon.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...393394395396397398399400401402403...LastNext
Current Page: 398 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home