Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...392393394395396397398399400401402...LastNext
Current Page: 397 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: z ()
Date: November 29, 2019 07:43

Rocky Dijon
I said "New Jack Juice" sounds very dated (meaning the title) and was told the riff is similar to "Baby Break It Down" but it's not the same tempo.

Another one? Or maybe "New Jack Juice" was an early version of "Illusion"..?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 29, 2019 07:55

GetYerAngie
If "England lost" and "Gotta get a grip" had been accepted by Keith, it wouldn't have been as long. And he should have accepted them, they were good, especially Gotta get a grip.

God NO, they are dreadful. IMAGINE IF THEY'D been the last songs released as by The Rolling Stones! What a horrid way to have gone out!

They are songs that Mick Jagger wanted to have The Stones sound "contemporary" on.

The Stones are NOT contemporary artists. They ARE The Rolling Stones. The goddam GREATEST ROCK and ROLL band the world's ever seen,

Rod

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 29, 2019 09:22

bitusa2012
GetYerAngie
If "England lost" and "Gotta get a grip" had been accepted by Keith, it wouldn't have been as long. And he should have accepted them, they were good, especially Gotta get a grip.

God NO, they are dreadful. IMAGINE IF THEY'D been the last songs released as by The Rolling Stones! What a horrid way to have gone out!

They are songs that Mick Jagger wanted to have The Stones sound "contemporary" on.

The Stones are NOT contemporary artists. They ARE The Rolling Stones. The goddam GREATEST ROCK and ROLL band the world's ever seen,

thumbs up

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 29, 2019 10:36

KRiffhard
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

thumbs up

There you have it in a nutshell. Whenever they try to come up with something contemporary you have people who dismiss it as "not Stonesworthy". When they come up with something like "One More Shot" or "Rough Justice" others dismiss stuff like that as lame re-writes of classic Stones material that simply add nothing to their recorded legacy.

Essentially the very same schism that divides their fans also divides the Jagger/Richards songwriter partnership.

As an artist of their age and with a still enormously successful stage career it's no wonder if they would say "Why bother at all? Go f**k yourselves!" - and that's essentially what the really did and what explains the increasingly longer breaks between new material releases discussed here.

Blue And Lonesome was nothing more than the lowest common denominator they could come up with and agree on releasing at the time, certainly helped by the fact that it took only a few days to record the material.

It may also have been their swansong as recordings artists, but its enormous success obviously encouraged them to give original material another try.

But that doesn't mean that they're back in the old album-tour routine as some here seem to hope for.

It's "one last try", people. And it's all gearing up for their 60th Anniversary, the upcoming main event that justifies a new album of original material (plus more and extensive archive exploitations).

Come to terms with it, folks. And consider yourself extremely lucky if I'm wrong and the new albums appears anytime soon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-29 16:17 by retired_dog.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 29, 2019 10:40

bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

They are the greatest rock'n'roll band because they have been both traditional and contemporary. And of course doing both their way. As they did with Route 66 and Miss You (or Emotional Rescue). And imo Gotta get a grip. To gather no moss they have to move. And dig deep in tradition. Both.

Date: November 29, 2019 10:59

GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

They are the greatest rock'n'roll band because they have been both traditional and contemporary. And of course doing both their way. As they did with Route 66 and Miss You (or Emotional Rescue). And imo Gotta get a grip. To gather no moss they have to move. And dig deep in tradition. Both.

Absolutely agree with you here, GetYerAngie. But I remember very well that "conservative" Stones fans even back then raised an eyebrow or two when first listening to "Hot Stuff", "Miss You" and in particular "Emotional Rescue". So it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 29, 2019 15:38

retired_dog
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

Absolutely agree with you here, GetYerAngie. But I remember very well that "conservative" Stones fans even back then raised an eyebrow or two when first listening to "Hot Stuff", "Miss You" and in particular "Emotional Rescue". So it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

You're talking about songs far superior to Gotta Get a Grip and England Lost!
I'm not a 'conservative' fan...but GGAG and EL are usless songs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-29 15:45 by KRiffhard.

Date: November 29, 2019 16:15

KRiffhard
retired_dog
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

I'm talking about how it has always been like that, starting already in the mid-70's. Even if the songs I mentioned were superior to GGAG and EL, they were not exactly welcomed with applause by lots of Stones fans back then.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 29, 2019 17:44

z
Rocky Dijon
I said "New Jack Juice" sounds very dated (meaning the title) and was told the riff is similar to "Baby Break It Down" but it's not the same tempo.

Another one? Or maybe "New Jack Juice" was an early version of "Illusion"..?

If there is even an ounce of truth about that title, I would imagine it was one of Mick's and not Keith's. If anything, the similar riff is likely indicative of Keith adding parts to Mick's songs as has been discussed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-29 18:20 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 1, 2019 04:38

"New Jack Juice ..."

... Daniels?

Date: December 1, 2019 05:38

I didn't think of that. I guess I was stuck thinking of New Jack City or New Jack Swing. Who knows if it meant anything more than Zip Mouth Angel or Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 1, 2019 07:35

''New Jack Juice'' - early version of '''Might As Well Get Juiced''?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2019 10:52

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 1, 2019 16:58

December is arrived...Stones in the studio tomorrow?!?grinning smileytongue sticking out smileysmoking smiley

Date: December 1, 2019 17:18

retired_dog
KRiffhard
retired_dog
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

I'm talking about how it has always been like that, starting already in the mid-70's. Even if the songs I mentioned were superior to GGAG and EL, they were not exactly welcomed with applause by lots of Stones fans back then.

It's easier to sound "contemporary" when in your 30s. At 75 it's a lost game, imo, especially without humour and a solid dose of self-irony.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 1, 2019 18:10

A songwriter best route is to write about reflection of the journey at 75 and the music might sound more mature with depth

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2019 18:25

OpenG
A songwriter best route is to write about reflection of the journey at 75 and the music might sound more mature with depth

Pete Townshend said just that in a recent interview - to paraphrase:

"Roger and I are both old and it's what we have in common, so that's what I wrote about for the new album"

No wonder Mick and Keith are having trouble being on the same page - one thinks he's Peter Pan, while the other chooses to age gracefully.
It's been evident for years now as far as original songwriting goes, and the only common denominator they have left is old blues tunes - yet even Mick seemed hesitant/reluctant/sheepish to go down that route.

Date: December 1, 2019 18:41

Hairball
OpenG

"Roger and I are both old and it's what we have in common, so that's what I wrote about for the new album"

No wonder Mick and Keith are having trouble being on the same page - one thinks he's Peter Pan, while the other chooses to age gracefully.
It's been evident for years now as far as original songwriting goes, and the only common denominator they have left is old blues tunes - yet even Mick seemed hesitant/reluctant/sheepish to go down that route.

Mick is Peter Pan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-01 18:42 by retired_dog.

Date: December 1, 2019 18:53

retired_dog
Hairball
OpenG

Mick is Peter Pan.

"It's a gas, gas, gas..."

Date: December 1, 2019 18:53

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
KRiffhard
retired_dog
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

It's easier to sound "contemporary" when in your 30s. At 75 it's a lost game, imo, especially without humour and a solid dose of self-irony.

Yes, of course. But then the question remains what's left besides trying to repeat the old winning formula? I mean, on stage they can get away with it, but a new album with original material means a new album with original material.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-01 18:55 by retired_dog.

Date: December 1, 2019 19:03

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
KRiffhard
retired_dog
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

Yes, of course. But then the question remains what's left besides trying to repeat the old winning formula? I mean, on stage they can get away with it, but a new album with original material means a new album with original material.

A last good, and musically recognisable, goodbye would suffice?

Date: December 1, 2019 19:17

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
KRiffhard
retired_dog
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

Of course. But while this theory sounds good, it's actually easier said than done. Much of their last "good and musically recognisable" material (at least in my ears) like Let Me Down Slow, Too Tight, Saint Of Me and Always Suffering didn't create much stir if I remember well, but things may look different with a "last goodbye"-sticker on the sleeve.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 1, 2019 19:19

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
KRiffhard
retired_dog
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

Something on a par with the Fab Four's Abbey Rosd album would suffice, thank you.

Date: December 1, 2019 19:35

jlowe
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
KRiffhard
retired_dog
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

Something on a par with the Fab Four's Abbey Rosd album would suffice, thank you.

You took a heavy load off the minds of all band members with that, JLowe!

Date: December 1, 2019 19:38

They could title it "And in the end..."

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 1, 2019 20:56

jlowe

Only that the Fab Four were still in their twenties when they recorded Abbey Road. From this perspective, the Stones definitely missed the point of presenting the world with their last good-bye while still young ... LOL

In the case of the Stones it's rather going to be On Overgrown Paths or so.

Posted by: django ()
Date: December 1, 2019 22:32

Hairball
They could title it "And in the end..."

No title, just "The Rolling Stones" like the very first one. That would be cool.
And please .... no "baby baby baby, honey honey honey" lyrics by Keith eye rolling smiley

Date: December 1, 2019 22:33

jlowe
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
KRiffhard
retired_dog
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

No, I want a rock'n'roll-album smoking smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 1, 2019 23:17

DandelionPowderman
No, I want a rock'n'roll-album smoking smiley

Oh, but that's so boring, they've done that so many times. MY dream is an album with Schlager music. A couple of schlager-medleys of their previous "big hits" thrown in there would make even the conservative fans happy, don't you think?
Jagger is quite good in both German and French.....if I could pick and choose; I'd choose German singing - at least on some numbers. It would also be a nice gesture to their big German fanbase

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-01 23:21 by Erik_Snow.

Date: December 1, 2019 23:19

Hairball

Mick is certainly Peter Pan. I don't really understand how one thinks Captain Hook is an example of growing old gracefully. They're both "Lost Boys." That friction makes up their chemistry when they get it right.

Mick was hesitant to record a blues album? Let's see...Mick records a blues album for Atlantic with The Red Devils. The same year he organizes and headlines a blues festival in England and plays a blues set backed by Gary Moore's Midnight Blues Band, invites Ronnie and Charlie to join them, and records the set for potential release as well.

Mick and the rest of the Stones cut a track with B. B. King a few years later and, also during these sessions that produced B2B, he and Keith cut a few tracks with Jimmy Rogers.

In 2007 when unearthing a track from The Red Devils album, Mick makes it known that if his solo anthology sells well enough, Rhino/Atlantic will release The Red Devils set. He also makes the b-side with Gary Moore available again as a download.

When working on the SOME GIRLS deluxe edition, Mick notes he's been writing a lot of blues lately. When the band reconvenes for rehearsals in December 2011, they play a lot of Chess blues. Mick then plays a set of blues at The White House in the same week that Keith plays a set of blues at The Apollo and Ronnie plays a set of blues in London. All as a lead-up to putting the band back together in 2012. They cut BLUE AND LONESOME in Knopfler's award-winning studio acclaimed for its refurbished retro consoles.

To my thinking, believing Mick was reluctant to make BLUE AND LONESOME seems absolutely the wrong conclusion to draw from all of this.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...392393394395396397398399400401402...LastNext
Current Page: 397 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2382
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home