Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...391392393394395396397398399400401...LastNext
Current Page: 396 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 26, 2019 19:51

Do not include "Sick of Myself" and "New Jack Juice" as anything other than rumors. Given the latter title, that's exactly what I hope it is or just a silly working title.

Date: November 26, 2019 19:57

jlowe
Surely Don Was cannot be serious. Fake News?
Why spend time laying down 40 or so tracks?

I wince every time I hear that expression. They always lay down 40 or 50 tracks. They usually just mean ideas, not finished compositions. It could be a riff or just a bridge or a chorus, all in search of a song. Granted, Mick is supposed to have about 40 songs since 2011 and he tends to finish his ideas regardless. That said, there is a rumor that they're sandbagging material for future releases, but honestly let's get one album out of them before we consider four.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-26 19:59 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: November 26, 2019 20:28

If what Rocky said about them possibly recording last month, we could be seeing this album quite soon (as in less than 5 years)!

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 26, 2019 21:20

Rocky Dijon
jlowe

I wince every time I hear that expression. They always lay down 40 or 50 tracks. They usually just mean ideas, not finished compositions. It could be a riff or just a bridge or a chorus, all in search of a song. Granted, Mick is supposed to have about 40 songs since 2011 and he tends to finish his ideas regardless. That said, there is a rumor that they're sandbagging material for future releases, but honestly let's get one album out of them before we consider four.

My god for what possible reason? With each passing year their projected sales of a new album declines by about 8% as a result of actuarial tables!

Date: November 26, 2019 21:28

If there is any truth to such a rumor it would be so that there are several more packages to generate revenue in the next set of years...the same as you've seen with Jackson or Prince or any other major artist.

The real question is what is reality as of the moment. Do they just have a bunch of jams, riffs, and no actual songs or do they have a few dozen songs and a bunch of different arrangements and mixes of that pool of material.

We've all heard both possibilities.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 26, 2019 21:36

Rocky Dijon
If there is any truth to such a rumor it would be so that there are several more packages to generate revenue in the next set of years...the same as you've seen with Jackson or Prince or any other major artist.

The real question is what is reality as of the moment. Do they just have a bunch of jams, riffs, and no actual songs or do they have a few dozen songs and a bunch of different arrangements and mixes of that pool of material.

I hope they're working on some good outtakes from previous sessions (especially Bridge to Babylon)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-26 21:38 by KRiffhard.

Date: November 26, 2019 21:48

I would say any guess is good. We've had Charlie (with Ronnie) telling the press they thought the album was done a couple times already over the last few years. It sounds like it started with Mick and Matt's polished demos presented to the band, but Keith rebelled, but that's not likely to be confirmed.

Looking at what they actually have said recently, Ronnie (who usually tells the most) commented earlier this year about the Glimmers working on getting their Jagger-Richards chemistry back. Keith's remark earlier this year about the work is not so much about writing, but listening to what's already been written suggests there might be truth to the stories about Keith contributing to Mick's songs.

Allegedly (always the key word), that was what Mick has wanted all along was for Keith to add to his and Matt's demos and not just coast by adding a typical Keith riff and calling it a day. Are we really getting something different? My bet would be for more of the same, but maybe it will have radical differences like Mick's last solo single.

It is clear the longer it stretches on and the more times they say "it will be done this year" and another year slips away, the more fans are going to conclude they're just puttering around and not actually making anything.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 26, 2019 21:55

Rocky Dijon

Well, those two dudes died suddenly (unexpectedly?) and so it's difficult to imagine that in either case there was a strategy in place in advance to release new original material posthumously in an orderly planned fashion. Just as difficult for me to believe that if the Stones have anything at all that is even remotely good that they are not releasing it now. Why "stockpile" for some point in the future? Clearly, there will be no better time to release a new album than when they are alive to tour/promote it ... would they actually hold back on releasing great new material until after they shuffled off their collective mortal coils?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 26, 2019 21:57

mailexile67
Next week Stones in the studio?!eye rolling smileysmoking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Dunno ... Ronnie will certainly want/need quality time off with his family after the UK tour ...

KRiffhard
"We probably have 40 (tracks), and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined. Right now it can go any way. There's some really good stuff in there, and there's a sense that making a good album is not good enough, it's got to be great" Don Was, July 2019.

We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed!!!

They should bloody finish all 40 and make that into three or four new albums. Finish one batch, release the album, then finish the next batch ...

Rocky Dijon
I would say any guess is good. We've had Charlie (with Ronnie) telling the press they thought the album was done a couple times already over the last few years. It sounds like it started with Mick and Matt's polished demos presented to the band, but Keith rebelled, but that's not likely to be confirmed.

Well, didn't Keith himself say that? Something like creating things together.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 26, 2019 23:03

Rocky Dijon

Looking at what they actually have said recently, Ronnie (who usually tells the most) commented earlier this year about the Glimmers working on getting their Jagger-Richards chemistry back. Keith's remark earlier this year about the work is not so much about writing, but listening to what's already been written suggests there might be truth to the stories about Keith contributing to Mick's songs.

Allegedly (always the key word), that was what Mick has wanted all along was for Keith to add to his and Matt's demos and not just coast by adding a typical Keith riff and calling it a day. Are we really getting something different? My bet would be for more of the same, but maybe it will have radical differences like Mick's last solo single.

It is clear the longer it stretches on and the more times they say "it will be done this year" and another year slips away, the more fans are going to conclude they're just puttering around and not actually making anything.

Whats shaking there, Sir? So anyway when the artists are 'Listening' much more than actually playing ..

Well This is usually done when the tracks are there but they need tweaked and / or when performing minor over-dubs with only one or two members .. (or when mixing .. naturally ... but this should go without saying. When mixing it's all listening lol).

If you have ever been in the studio doing this it is looooots of listening after the songs are written and the basic tracks are laid down ... also the arrangements get reworked and it's 80% sitting there with critical listening and then trying things ....then taking what works and it's onto the next song. This indicates the band laid down the basic tracks for each song already ... it also could indicate there is a lot going on .. lots of instruments .. lots of stuff to the tracks. This is done when the songs are put together and created by being ..'built'... versus the standard method of simply writing em .. rehearsing em .. and then going in and recording them all live in the studio or whatever.

Just a possibility this is the process they are using this time out .. Also is 'almost' all assumption (to be fair).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-26 23:06 by IanBillen.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 27, 2019 00:22

The worst part of the whole story is that we are on the LONGEST period with NO ORIGINAL song released since 1963.

Their last ORIGINAL song released, NEW OR OUTTAKE, is ONE MORE SHOT in November 12, 2012, 7 YEARS AND 2 WEEKS.

Their previous long break was 4 YEARS AND 7 MONTHS between ANYWAY YOU LOOK AT IT in January 26, 1998 and DON'T STOP in August 28, 2002.

In the streaming era, with so many ways to release new songs, this long break is unpardonable.

Date: November 27, 2019 00:35

georgelicks
The worst part of the whole story is that we are on the LONGEST period with NO ORIGINAL song released since 1963.

Their last ORIGINAL song released, NEW OR OUTTAKE, is ONE MORE SHOT in November 12, 2012, 7 YEARS AND 2 WEEKS.

Their previous long break was 4 YEARS AND 7 MONTHS between ANYWAY YOU LOOK AT IT in January 26, 1998 and DON'T STOP in August 28, 2002.

In the streaming era, with so many ways to release new songs, this long break is unpardonable.

There was a wee bit of time between Streets Of Love and Doom And Gloom as well. 7 years and...?

Date: November 27, 2019 00:43

DandelionPowderman
There was a wee bit of time between Streets Of Love and Doom And Gloom as well. 7 years and...?

4 YEARS AND 5 MONTHS between UNDER THE RADAR and DON'T WANNA GO HOME in November 21, 2005 (ABB Special Edition) and PLUNDERED MY SOUL (April 16, 2010).

Date: November 27, 2019 00:52

georgelicks
DandelionPowderman

4 YEARS AND 5 MONTHS between UNDER THE RADAR and DON'T WANNA GO HOME in November 21, 2005 (ABB Special Edition) and PLUNDERED MY SOUL (April 16, 2010).

If you count that one as a new original, yes.

Date: November 27, 2019 01:10

DandelionPowderman
georgelicks
DandelionPowderman

If you count that one as a new original, yes.

Actually the whole period 2010-2012 was a great one, loads of outtakes or new songs released in a short time, but since they started touring again in November 2012 no NEW/OUTTAKE original material was released.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 27, 2019 01:41

TornAndFried
Since the year is almost over and there is no new album on the horizon I think it's reasonable to now change the title of this thread to "New Stones Album in the Next Decade"?

You're on to something !
Wow, it's scary to think that Charlie will (hopefully) be 89 by the end of the upcoming decade. Well the more it goes and the less age means much I suppose (unless you kick the bucket "early") especially with the Stones. 30 was the new 20, 40 was the new 25 (actually Mick said when UC was released that he felt like he was 20, like "his band"), 60 the new 30, etc...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 27, 2019 04:43

KRiffhard
"We probably have 40 (tracks), and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined. Right now it can go any way. There's some really good stuff in there, and there's a sense that making a good album is not good enough, it's got to be great" Don Was, July 2019.

That obviously wasn't the case with VOODOO, BRIDGES and BANG.

Date: November 27, 2019 04:44

TornAndFried
Since the year is almost over and there is no new album on the horizon I think it's reasonable to now change the title of this thread to "New Stones Album in the Next Decade"?

No. Decades start in year 1, not 0. 2020 is the end year of the TwentyTeens.

Date: November 27, 2019 04:47

jlowe
KRiffhard

10 to 15 at the most, refine and polish and then discard 3 or 4.
Job done.

I guess, I dunno, a plethora of LP releases between 1971 and 1986 featured, at times, as many new songs recorded in some way? It's just what they do?

Date: November 28, 2019 14:29

Rocky Dijon
Do not include "Sick of Myself" and "New Jack Juice" as anything other than rumors. Given the latter title, that's exactly what I hope it is or just a silly working title.

Hi Rocky! Is "Sick of myself" a song from Steel Wheels sessions? I remember only a song called "Ready Yourself":
[youtu.be]

Date: November 28, 2019 15:26

"The Stones have been working on new material for the last year and a half, and Leavell was involved in the first creative sessions in London. “Mick had some things that were, I would say, 50% or 60% written, and Keith would chime in and say, ‘Look, man, here’s your hook. Let’s focus on that.’ Keith had brought some things to the table, and Mick would make comments. There were a variety of things: some ballads, some medium tempos, some rockers. I didn’t think they had anything completed.”
“As we left, there was a little bit of chatter about working on it some more,” he says. “But Mick has a movie that he’s acting in” (The Burnt Orange Heresy, directed by Giuseppe Capotondi and costarring Elizabeth Debicki and Donald Sutherland)"
[www.vanityfair.com]

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: November 28, 2019 17:05

KRiffhard
"The Stones have been working on new material for the last year and a half, and Leavell was involved in the first creative sessions in London. “Mick had some things that were, I would say, 50% or 60% written, and Keith would chime in and say, ‘Look, man, here’s your hook. Let’s focus on that.’ Keith had brought some things to the table, and Mick would make comments. There were a variety of things: some ballads, some medium tempos, some rockers. I didn’t think they had anything completed.”
“As we left, there was a little bit of chatter about working on it some more,” he says. “But Mick has a movie that he’s acting in” (The Burnt Orange Heresy, directed by Giuseppe Capotondi and costarring Elizabeth Debicki and Donald Sutherland)"
[www.vanityfair.com]
Wow! This could be done in a year! Probably not, but I have hope!

Date: November 28, 2019 18:06

KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon

Hi Rocky! Is "Sick of myself" a song from Steel Wheels sessions? I remember only a song called "Ready Yourself":
[youtu.be]

Here's all I know about "Sick of Myself." In early 1991, there were pre-orders available for import copies (I'm in the States) of the "Sex Drive" CD-single one of which had a non-LP B-side called "Sick of Myself." That particular single never came out. I never got a straight answer from Sony (I was working for a company that had a chain of record stores at the time). I've sought for it over the years to see if there was a test copy, a cassette, anything. No luck. A bit like "Ever-Changing World" from B2B which was earmarked for a B-side but never came out.

Now to recent times. I heard from someone I thought was a valid source (and sometimes has been in all fairness) that Don Was and Keith were looking at unfinished outtakes from "recent years" and that one was a STEEL WHEELS outtake. I pushed for the source to find out if it was "For Your Precious Love" and after a few months, the individual got back to me and said it was "Sick of Myself." The track had been cut (with a different working title) for STEEL WHEELS but had a new vocal cut (and lyrics written) in 1990 or 1991 (the account varied, I assume the latter is correct).

As I pressed for more info, I was told this was the 2-CD set of mostly unfinished material that Don Was had assembled in 1998 or 1999 for the band to complete for Virgin. As we all know, it didn't happen and Mick decided not to look back when they did get back together for the LICKS sessions. Don and Keith had been pushing for this material to still be finished. Allegedly it has been worked on.

The title "New Jack Juice" came from the same source, but very recently. I questioned whether they were being fed accurate info or not because of Dandy debunking "Bad Luck Hideaway" being in a different key than the video clip of Mick playing blues harp to the demo (which I was told was that song and that Carl Falk was experimenting with programming different rhythm tracks for it). The response that elicited was just that "Bad Luck Hideaway" had changed its title to "Rattlesnake Highway" until they found out Fogerty had used the title and now it would probably be called something else. I said "New Jack Juice" sounds very dated (meaning the title) and was told the riff is similar to "Baby Break It Down" but it's not the same tempo.

Is any of this trustworthy? Heck if I know. I've been labeled fake news on SHIDOOBEE but I don't think that's because someone knows otherwise, they just don't believe a new album will ever be completed. What I most want is for GeorgeLicks or mpj200 to be able to confirm there's truth in this or confirm the source is being fed garbage. Maybe it's both.

Date: November 28, 2019 18:09

KRiffhard
[www.vanityfair.com]

The problem with this is Mick shot the movie after the NO FILTER European leg finished in Autumn 2018 and already attended the premiere this September. Just how old is this interview or is Chuck deliberately giving information that is a year old?

And just who are these people who call Chuck "the fifth Stone?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-28 18:16 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 28, 2019 18:24

Not a chance.these guys are not motivated by another album.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 28, 2019 19:42

Date: November 27, 2019 00:22

Quote georgelicks

If "England lost" and "Gotta get a grip" had been accepted by Keith, it wouldn't have been as long. And he should have accepted them, they were good, especially Gotta get a grip.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-28 21:05 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 28, 2019 20:19

Regarding Getta Grip/England Lost:

I believe Keith was right to veto those ideas, and while he might have been able to help them a bit had he accepted them as Stones tunes, I'm glad he didn't as they might have been shredded in the press just as they were as Mick solo tunes.

A couple of examples:

"Mick Jagger hasn’t exactly had the most exciting solo career and sadly his two latest songs, Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost, are yet more proof that he should just stop and focus on The Rolling Stones.
Gotta Get A Grip just showcases how badly Jagger is without Keith Richards behind him. That’s something I really hate saying because he’s one of my all-time favourite songwriters and frontmen, but it’s true.". - Tom Caswell

"After the back-to-basics turn of his band’s most recent album, this material is ostensibly forward-looking, with crisp modern production and breakbeat drums that vaguely scan as hip-hop. There’s a clear ambition toward contemporary relevance, but the songs paradoxically end up sounding more dated than the straightforward Delta homages of Blue & Lonesome, coming off more like the kind of thing David Bowie could write in his sleep 20 years ago than the Skepta and Kendrick Lamar records Jagger says he’s listening to lately". - Andy Cush

Anyhow, that's all old news now and they've hopefully had time to weed out some of the similar crappiness of what they've been working on - I have a feeling it will be worth the wait no matter how long it takes!
Might have been nice to have a Blue and Lonesome Pt II to help fill some of the void, but it wasn't meant to be.

Date: November 28, 2019 20:24

Rocky Dijon
KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon

[youtu.be]

Here's all I know about "Sick of Myself." In early 1991, there were pre-orders available for import copies (I'm in the States) of the "Sex Drive" CD-single one of which had a non-LP B-side called "Sick of Myself." That particular single never came out. I never got a straight answer from Sony (I was working for a company that had a chain of record stores at the time). I've sought for it over the years to see if there was a test copy, a cassette, anything. No luck. A bit like "Ever-Changing World" from B2B which was earmarked for a B-side but never came out.

Now to recent times. I heard from someone I thought was a valid source (and sometimes has been in all fairness) that Don Was and Keith were looking at unfinished outtakes from "recent years" and that one was a STEEL WHEELS outtake. I pushed for the source to find out if it was "For Your Precious Love" and after a few months, the individual got back to me and said it was "Sick of Myself." The track had been cut (with a different working title) for STEEL WHEELS but had a new vocal cut (and lyrics written) in 1990 or 1991 (the account varied, I assume the latter is correct).

As I pressed for more info, I was told this was the 2-CD set of mostly unfinished material that Don Was had assembled in 1998 or 1999 for the band to complete for Virgin. As we all know, it didn't happen and Mick decided not to look back when they did get back together for the LICKS sessions. Don and Keith had been pushing for this material to still be finished. Allegedly it has been worked on.

The title "New Jack Juice" came from the same source, but very recently. I questioned whether they were being fed accurate info or not because of Dandy debunking "Bad Luck Hideaway" being in a different key than the video clip of Mick playing blues harp to the demo (which I was told was that song and that Carl Falk was experimenting with programming different rhythm tracks for it). The response that elicited was just that "Bad Luck Hideaway" had changed its title to "Rattlesnake Highway" until they found out Fogerty had used the title and now it would probably be called something else. I said "New Jack Juice" sounds very dated (meaning the title) and was told the riff is similar to "Baby Break It Down" but it's not the same tempo.

Is any of this trustworthy? Heck if I know. I've been labeled fake news on SHIDOOBEE but I don't think that's because someone knows otherwise, they just don't believe a new album will ever be completed. What I most want is for GeorgeLicks or mpj200 to be able to confirm there's truth in this or confirm the source is being fed garbage. Maybe it's both.

Thanks Rocky! It's always very interesting to read your comments thumbs up
The mysterious songs that never came out: my favorite is "High or Low"!!!>grinning smiley<

Date: November 29, 2019 06:30

If there's any truth to "High or Low" being another early version of "Trouble" (like "Just Because" from 2002), we might not ever see that getting a release unless it's more like "Wicked As It Seems" and "Love is Strong" where they're similar riffs, but became different songs.

Date: November 29, 2019 06:53

The worst news I could think of in all this, is that they haven't recorded anything original as a band. Because if they have laid something down, it will come out sooner or later; in one form or another.
And I mean Jagger, Keith, Ron and Charlie. Not Jagger and Clifford. If they could just feel some kind, any kind of motivation, or deadline, I think they would come through. They've always been best under pressure. But they are at the point now, where they just can't be pressured.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...391392393394395396397398399400401...LastNext
Current Page: 396 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home